The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My 23yr old daughter is married to a wonderful man who is in the Air Force and they are stationed in Japan, along with my 2.5yr old grandson.

My daughter recently came back home with her family to visit and we had a wonderful time. She shared that she was pregnant, with twins, and we all rejoiced at the news.

She called me two days ago to share that it turns out her pregnancy is now a "higher risk" pregnancy since the twins are identical and share the same placenta. The military base they live on does not have an NICU. The nearest base that does is a four hour plane ride away and my grandson can't accompany her. So, she is flying back here in a month or so to live until the twins are born and can fly back to Japan.

Yay for me since I get to spend six months or so with my daughter and grand son, but it's going to be very tough on her and her husband to be apart for so long.

We decided it would be better for her to live with my parents since they are in a larger town 15 miles away with a hospital. They usually leave for AZ to winter there about this time, but decided to stay until after Christmas this year so we can have a giant family Christmas. That was decided months ago before anyone knew my daughter would be here.

The twins are due in March, so after my folks leave for AZ in January, I will be staying at my parent's house with my daughter to help with my grandson. Since my daughter is going to be living at my folk's house, I need to have family stay at my place for Christmas, which means I need to finish remodeling my guest room.

Lots of planning and preparation needs to be done before my daughter gets here and we are all excited and freaking out at the same time. I'm going down to a car dealer in the morning to put a deposit down on a used Honda CR-V for her to drive while she's here. Am also considering selling my pickup and getting a large SUV to shuttle her and the babies around in.

Anyway, lots of planning and stress. Just thought I would share. I know Blackribbon is an expert in neonatal circumstances...

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I am not an expert but have some experience. Is there a medical reason why she is coming back this early in her pregnancy or is that around the 20 week mark...(I am not good at counting backwards)? I don't know but I would think she could stay with her husband until she was further along. Six months is a long time and if they early, it could be longer before they could safely fly to be with him.

I believe the primary risk is just premature births. Most our preemie twins are old enough to just be in the "grow and feed" portion of the NICU (just observation until they are large enough to be discharged)...however, we frequently have twins on the regular postpartum floor...both fraternal and identical. I have cared for twins just under 4 lb that are discharged normally.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am not an expert but have some experience. Is there a medical reason why she is coming back this early in her pregnancy or is that around the 20 week mark...(I am not good at counting backwards)?
She said she has to be assigned to and checked in with an NICU before 24 weeks. That's the 20th of December. They want her here earlier just to be safe; no specific issues with the baby, just overly cautious.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
She said she has to be assigned to and checked in with an NICU before 24 weeks. That's the 20th of December. They want her here earlier just to be safe; no specific issues with the baby, just overly cautious.

That makes sense. That gives her time to get a relationship with an OB before and tour the hospital and NICU beforehand. How exciting for you. She will need someone to stay at the hospital with her to help with the babies if she makes it to term and they are big enough to be in her room (and then someone at home to be with her boy).

FYI: Babies don't sleep on night two (even if they are perfect all day on day two). So be prepared to take turns sleeping so she can get some sleep too.

Upvote 0