Jan 2, 2007
✟28,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Well, if there was a Dem candidate with a way out of the coming hard times we'd be hearing about that, wouldn't we? Nobody is really offering anything.

What's there to offer. The problem is our civilization is addicted to cheap oil and cheap oil is running out. And there's nothing to replace it, not in the laboratory, nor on the drawing board.

"WE'RE HOSED" isn't a popular slogan, but it would be factual (for a change).

Upvote 0

TheNewWorldMan

phased plasma rifle in 40-watt range
Jan 2, 2007
✟28,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upvote 0

Daniel19

Oct 9, 2005
✟1,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
New World Man,

I'm not sure if I buy the peak oil theory. Have you ever heard of the abiotic oil theory? There is a strong possibility that oil is in fact a replenishable resource. Think about it, does the oil industry stand to gain from having an unending supply of oil that maintains supply or rather an uncertain dwindling supply that drives prices up?

Just my thoughts...

By the way, a local food bank here has begun rationing certain items.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What's needed is a frank acknowledgment of the problem, strong conservation, and a crash R&D program into alternative energy.

You mean we need Jimmy Carters plan circa the late 1970’s.

Yeah it would have worked then, instead it was scrapped in favor of thirty years of gluttonous overdependence on cheap energy and massive debt based government policy.

Upvote 0

Loukuss

Senior Veteran
Mar 7, 2005
BC
✟4,040.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others
I was just thinking the same myself.

There are several countries that have stopped exporting certain foods all together. The United States imports something like 30% of our food as well. Put 2 and 2 together.

Anyone noticed the shrinking food containers while the price has remained the same, or gone up?

I'm extremely concerned about our future in the U.S. At least during the (first) Great Depression there was a large percentage of people that lived on farms and were self sustaining. Now, it's such a small percentage of people that are self-sufficient that when things really break down it will likely be total chaos.

My suggestion to everyone is to stock up on essentials, not just for 3 days like the government has suggested. I don't know if things will get as bad as a lot of people are saying, but it's a good practice none the less.

I share your concern, Daniel. Things are not looking very optimistic right now and I dont see anyone with any viable solutions.
The food crises we're seeing in other parts globe-india, phillipines, large parts of africa- will soon hit us here in the western world. Its only a matter of time.
I echo your call to prepare for the worst. It seems like the most prudent decision.

Upvote 0

Loukuss

Senior Veteran
Mar 7, 2005
BC
✟4,040.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others
What makes the oncoming oil shortages really scary is that neither the Democrats nor Republicans, neither the Left nor the Right, are intellectually equipped (paradigm-wise) to react correctly.

The Right will either dismiss the first signs of the crisis as invented by liberals, or caused by environmentalists who have stupidly denied us access to the Ghawar-sized pools of oil allegedly buried under the Rockies, the California coast, and the north slope of Alaska.

The Right's prescription: de-regulation, get those tree-huggers out of the way, drill more holes in the ground, and pretend oil shale is light sweet crude.

The Left will blame it on corporate greed, and oil companies in particular. If only we taxed oil and distributed wealth more fairly, then the crisis would go away because people could afford oil. Oh, and let's all drive hybrids.

The Left's prescription: redistribute the wealth, tax Big Oil, and tell everyone to turn out the lights when they're done.

The problem is neither of these approaches work. The problem isn't politics, it's geology. Cheap oil is running out. There's no economic or technical fix for oil depletion. When the cheap oil's gone, it's gone. Screaming about it or pointing fingers won't put more oil in the ground.

What's needed is a frank acknowledgment of the problem, strong conservation, and a crash R&D program into alternative energy.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TheNewWorldMan again.
Great assessment, NewWorldMan.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Oh, and let's all drive hybrids.

...and tell everyone to turn out the lights when they're done.

Driving hybrids is a step towards alternative energy, turning out the lights is conservation and the left has acknowledged the problem is real. Apparently you share the views of those on the left, save the redistribution.

Upvote 0

TheNewWorldMan

phased plasma rifle in 40-watt range
Jan 2, 2007
✟28,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Driving hybrids is a step towards alternative energy, turning out the lights is conservation and the left has acknowledged the problem is real. Apparently you share the views of those on the left, save the redistribution.

At the risk of nitpicking...hybrids don't solve the energy shortage. Strange, but true. It's called Jevon's Paradox.

If everyone drove hybrids, oil consumption would fall. Oil and gasoline prices would fall. People would then drive more. Prices of goods would decline, and people would buy more, causing more energy consumption. In the end, we'd still use just as much oil as before, we'd just get more vehicle-miles out of it.

Now, for individuals who can resist the urge to put on more miles, buying a hybrid makes sense, as it can reduce your individual consumption, and therefore save you money.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums