Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'd like to hear people's different insights on these issues:

Using music in contemporary styles for ministering God's Word

:sick:

Women wearing pants (bifurbicated garments)

I'd like to see someone try to stop me.

Joking (provided that it's moral)

There once was a girl from Nantucket......:D ....Heck yeah!!!! Life is good and should be fun.
Why not be as cheeky as we can when the opportunity allows?

Using other Bible versions besides KJV

We don't speak Elizabethan (King James') English, why should the original texts be limited to it for translation?

Note from the OP (yep, that's me!): Seeing as how these seem to be very tender issues, I'll understand if there's a little debating. However, if things get too far out of hand, I may request to have it closed.

(I hope it's okay for me to start a thread like this in this subforum.)

:scratch: What is particulary tender about any of these questions?

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Now for my own input:

Music: I love a variety of music. Just about the only style that personally does nothing for me is heavy metal.

Pants: Many women have the conviction that they are never to wear pants, mostly because they deem them immodest and/or unfeminine (clothing that pertains to men). This is fine if it is a personal conviction. But it is not for everyone. Not for me, anyway. My opinion is that both pants and skirts can be immodest, as well as modest. Some say that the female shape shows when wearing pants, but what they don't know is that the men's physique shows, too. As for pants "pertaining to men", well, voting originally "pertained to men", too. And there must be a fair number of women who won't wear pants because they were "originally meant for men" who will still register to vote. Something interesting to ponder on.

Joking: There is a time and place for it. Nothing wrong with it in its proper perspective.

Bibles: I'm pretty comfortable with KJV and NKJV.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
My thoughts:
It was okay for King David; I guess it's okay for me too......;) Seriously, I prefer contemporary over hymnal-style music, but I really like the (even more conservative ) chants, folk, and ethnic or primitive styles of music. I'm not looking for modern style so much as I'm looking for something fresh that ministers in the spirit.

It's better than not wearing pants!:eek:

see above :p

I usually prefer NASB; it seems to me to be the closest to the original languages of the readily-available versions. I used to have a Zodhiates New Testament, and that was awesome. I want to see the original meanings of the text "conserved" as much as possible.....

i think that we should really take a close look at our traditions to see if they are benificial or not, both church and cultural.

without a good motive and meaning behind the tradition it's meaningless.
AMEN!

Recently the Lord spoke a rather surprising thiing to me:
"There's no place for nostalgia in worship!"
:eek:

a problem arises when non-believers or misguided believers come, see the meaningless tradition, and put the meaningless traditions on the same level with the bible. it's a yucky scenario
:amen:

blessings
tal

Reactions: GreenMunchkin
Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I prefer traditional hymns, but I don't think it's wrong to use contemporary worship songs. It's just my personal preference.

I think it's fine.

Also fine.

I really like the NASB but usually use the NIV for devotional reading and reading in church (since it's so commonly used now). I grew up with the KJV and still love it for its literary qualities, but it also has some problems. Every translation has some problems, and for in-depth study I like to compare different versions. I hate paraphrases and paraphrases that purport to be translations (like The Message).

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
These issues are secondary though and we shouldn't debate them. It's not worth it. Live for God. ::):

I agree. I mean, there's nothing wrong with an intellegent discussion of different opinions, but sadly, too many of them get out of hand and turn into ugly arguments, people really ripping into one another merely because they can't "agree to disagree", then it ceases to sound intellegent. And I've singled out the issues about music, pants, and Bible versions (not so much the one about joking) because I've seen these issues discussed to death (even given my own opinions about them), and very seldom do they go anywhere but to a dead end. Most people, by nature, are set in their ways and personal convictions, and there's really nothing anyone can do about it.

In conclusion, everyone has different ways of thinking and doing things. If everyone thought exactly the same, I'd say this world would be very boring. As for me, the Bible has everything I need to know about how to live Christlike (everything else is merely commentary), and all I can do is follow it the best I know how. That's what counts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sothron

Humble Orthodox Christian
Nov 28, 2006
Columbus, Ga
✟16,708.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Note from the OP (yep, that's me!): Seeing as how these seem to be very tender issues, I'll understand if there's a little debating. However, if things get too far out of hand, I may request to have it closed.

(I hope it's okay for me to start a thread like this in this subforum.)

If they did not have that music in 19th century IS OUTRAGE! :p

But seriously I have no problems with it. My priests have no problems with my listening to contemporary Christian music or singing the hymns I grew up with.

Women wearing pants: I prefer women in dresses as I think they look more lovely in them as a general rule but that is just for aesthetics. I have no problems with women wearing pants or cutting their hair or whatever else.

Did they joke in 19th century Russia in cold Siberia winter? IS OUTRAGE!

Again, no problems with laughter. I believe God has a great sense of humor if he created us and stuck with us so far.

Using other translations: Considering the Orthodox Church has used the same version since the very beginning of the Christian religion I have no problems with using other translations than the KJV. ;)

Upvote 0

meh

Legend
Feb 22, 2006
✟52,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

I think it's fine. I prefer more traditional, but if the younger people get more involved with the contemporary that's fine.

Fine :)

good :)

Some are good, some are bad. I use several different Bibles. The one I can think of I just don't like is the Living Bible, I think? It was just too loosy-goosy for me.

I like Scofields KJV.

I use Scofields NJKV the most.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
bifurbicated~ain't sure it's a real word but it would be a pretty cool name for a band.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, bifurbicated":cool:

We must demand bifurbicated garments for the CF Dollies... NOW!

Monofurbication is so oppressive and polyfurbication need not result.

Upvote 0