Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I'd like to hear people's different insights on these issues:

Using music in contemporary styles for ministering God's Word

Women wearing pants (bifurbicated garments)

Joking (provided that it's moral)

Using other Bible versions besides KJV

Note from the OP (yep, that's me!): Seeing as how these seem to be very tender issues, I'll understand if there's a little debating. However, if things get too far out of hand, I may request to have it closed.

(I hope it's okay for me to start a thread like this in this subforum.)

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I prefer traditional in church, but I do listen to alot of Contemporary. Selah is my fave.
I only wish that my church it were allowed. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

God gave me this sense of humor and I am going to use it!

I prefer KJV and I am skeptical about other versions. However, when an atheist starts toting around a verse in their User Title and it is not KJV, I say Give Glory to God!

Note from the OP (yep, that's me!): Seeing as how these seem to be very tender issues, I'll understand if there's a little debating. However, if things get too far out of hand, I may request to have it closed.

Of course it is okay, and I really enjoyed the questions.

Lisa

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes to all of the above. The funny thing is at least in my Church the old were just complainig about the style the reason we know that is for 3 weeks we were doing the same songs out of the hymnals apparently in some peoples mind music magicialy turns to the tool of Satan if you switch a guitar, bass, painio and drums for organ and project words onto screen rather than reading them out of a hymn. I'm speaking figuratively they actauly the song "Power of the Blood" was evil.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
drstevej response

IF THE WORDS ARE DOCTRINALLY SOUND

BIFURBICATED is my new favorite word. SURE

SURE

I USE THE GREEK AND HEBREW TEXTS AS THE FOUNDATION AND TRANSLATIONS AS FAITHFUL TOO THE GREEK AND HEBREW. NO ONE TRANSLATION IS INSPIRED.

Reactions: porterross
Upvote 0

beverhome

Jul 11, 2007
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟15,488.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As Long as the message is the Word

Yes

Proverbs 17:22:

22A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.

I think that studing other versions can help us understand the wording of words we no longer use.

Blessings
April

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
M

MMXII

I love traditional hymns but attend a church that does praise and worship music.

I wear jeans to church most Sundays or Saturday nights, whenever I attend. I don't think God cares what we wear and I sure don't care what anyone else thinks about my attire.

Jokes that are wholesome are ok.

My favorite version is the NIV but I'll leave it up to the individual.

(Wow, I am liberal :doh: )

Upvote 0
F

free2be

Using music in contemporary styles for ministering God's Word definately!

Women wearing pants (bifurbicated garments) bifurbicated?:scratch: Pants, sure, if they wanted to!

Joking (provided that it's moral) Yep...we are funny creatures...

Using other Bible versions besides KJV definately...anything to help you understand God's word!

(I hope it's okay for me to start a thread like this in this subforum.) Sure! They are great questions. :hug:

Upvote 0
F

free2be

I love traditional hymns but attend a church that does praise and worship music.

I wear jeans to church most Sundays or Saturday nights, whenever I attend. I don't think God cares what we wear and I sure don't care what anyone else thinks about my attire.

Jokes that are wholesome are ok.

My favorite version is the NIV but I'll leave it up to the individual.

(Wow, I am liberal :doh: )
:confused: does that make you liberal?

Upvote 0
F

free2be

I don't know, scary thought, eh? :eek:
zipped.gif
^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

daniel777

Feb 13, 2007
America
✟12,839.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
HOW DARE YOU, YOU ARE DEFILING THE HOLY TEMPLE OF GOD. YOU RAVAGE WARMONGERING, BLASPHEMOUS, HEATHONS....
Just kidding, i'm ok with all of them. i live somewhere were you would expect alot of that kind of thing to be prevelent, it's actually evaporating kinda quickly. i think that we should really take a close look at our traditions to see if they are benificial or not, both church and cultural.

without a good motive and meaning behind the tradition it's meaningless.

a problem arises when non-believers or misguided believers come, see the meaningless tradition, and put the meaningless traditions on the same level with the bible. it's a yucky scenario

Upvote 0

Hishandmaiden

The Humble Servant
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2002
Singapore
✟35,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

If it is the right music, for the right WORD for the right occassion! Fine. My church often does that!

I am afraid in Singapore, it is a cultural thing for women to wear pants, since women work like men do, here. In fact, most women in most churches in Singapore wear pants. It is really a culture thing. I have nothing wrong with that. So long as they cover themselves properly. Clothings change through time. Adam and Eve probably won't even know what is a pant.

I am okay with joking. Some of the ministers who come t preach in my church jokes and their sermons really touches and convicts many hearts to repentance. But jokes must be clean and not sexual, violence or ungodly.

I am Not a KJV only person. KJV is a translated version of the Word of God. I am for all bible versions, since I also uses the chinese bible. If there is going to be a ONE VERSION of BIBLE onlyism for me, it will be the ORIGINAL UNTRANSLATED BIBLE VERSION ONLYISM. But I can't read Greek or Aramic, so no.

My tones are a bit sarcastic in this thread. It is not meant to offend. It is just me trying to have some fun with words. If anyone gets offended by my viewpoints, I will change my wording a little to be more sensitive. PM me.

I don't want a war here. :wink.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
bifurbicated?:scratch:

"Bifurbicated" was a new word for me, too, when I first saw it. I've been to many discussions and Websites regarding the skirts vs. pants issue, and I saw that word sort of jump out at me.

Bifurbicate, according to the dictionary, means "divided into two branches". Which makes trousers/pants a "bifurbicated" garment.

Upvote 0

hazeleyes80

Contributor
Aug 19, 2004
South Carolina
✟15,051.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

As long as it's Biblically sound and focused on praising Christ and not on the beat or instrumentation, I don't have a problem with it.

Ideally, we should wear dresses/skirts. I always wear a dress or skirt to church. I'd like to wear them more in public, but there has been a rash of parking lot purse-snatchings where I live. I don't carry a purse into stores anymore, but if I get attacked under the presumption that I have one, I'd like to be able to defend myself. I have a martial arts background, and I'm a strong kicker. That would be exceedingly difficult in a skirt or dress. I guess what I'm trying to say is that in some areas, wearing dresses/skirts all the time isn't entirely feasible.

I don't have a problem with it.

I prefer the KJV, but I will read the NIV as well.

Upvote 0