✟1,298,063.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
quoted from their Website

[quote
Holy Orthodox Church – American Jurisdiction A Brief History

The Holy Orthodox Church, American Jurisdiction, though restructured in 1974,was originally established as the American Orthodox Church by the Russian Orthodox Archdiocese of Brooklyn in 1932, under the episcopacy of Archbishop Aftimios Ofiesh for the communicants of Western Rite Orthodoxy. [/quote]

Hmmmmm - this name rings many bells with me - IIRC he was married after becoming a bishop .

Not canonical is my thought

Upvote 0
M

Mikeb85

Upvote 0

HandmaidenOfGod

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
Sep 11, 2004
✟15,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
This is NOT a church that is in communion with Worldwide Orthodoxy. I have never heard of +Bishop Aftimios, or this jurisdiction. The closest thing that they are trying to pretend to be is the Orthodox Church in America (OCA), which is under the direction of His Eminance, +Metropolitan Jonah. The Orthodox Church in America

A good source of information on canonical Orthodox jurisdictions within the United States is to go to the website of the Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Bishops in America, also known as SCOBA. Jurisdictions | Standing Conference of the Canonical Orthodox Bishops in the Americas

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The American (Western Rite) Jurisdiction is responsible for its own ecclesiastical affairs and is not subject to any other Orthodox body, foreign or domestic. It has no connection with any other group(s) claiming to be American Orthodox and/or deriving authority from either Archbishops +Aftimios, +Ignatius, +Alexander, or +Francis

This quote is very disturbing and thus would lead me to say they are non-canonical. The only Orthodox Church in North America who is Autocephalous with any declaration of autocephaly from ANY canonical patriarch is the Orthodox Church of America.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,063.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There's a stack of information about Aftimios Ofiesh here
Aftimios Ofiesh - Google Search

I had heard the name recently and there were warning bells - he was associated with the "American Orthodox Catholic Church " which is of course neither.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Oftimios Ofiesh was a bishop in brooklyn, and later was deposed for getting married. He continued to pretend to be a bishop and created many vagante groups with the help of his freemason connections. From what i understand there are literally dozens and dozens of groups some with no flocks or simply existing in cyberspace that owe their origins to Ofiesh.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Oftimios Ofiesh was a bishop in brooklyn, and later was deposed for getting married. He continued to pretend to be a bishop and created many vagante groups with the help of his freemason connections. From what i understand there are literally dozens and dozens of groups some with no flocks or simply existing in cyberspace that owe their origins to Ofiesh.
I believe on Orthodoxwiki there is a list of fake-odox groups started by him.

Aftimios Ofiesh - OrthodoxWiki

Bottom of page.

Basically anything with that man's name affiliated with it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Should we add this one to the library of non-real Orthodox?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.