Judge Dismisses Trump Campaign's 'Russia Quid Pro Quo' Defamation Lawsuit Against New York Times

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,032.00
Faith
Atheist
Nothing special about "with prejudice". It just means the case was heard and decided on its actual merits and wasn't dismissed due to some technical issue.
dismissed with prejudice - Google Search

In the formal legal world, a court case that is dismissed with prejudice means that it is dismissed permanently. A case dismissed with prejudice is over and done with, once and for all, and can't be brought back to court. A case dismissed without prejudice means the opposite. It's not dismissed forever. May 24, 2020
{My bold}

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
dismissed with prejudice - Google Search

In the formal legal world, a court case that is dismissed with prejudice means that it is dismissed permanently. A case dismissed with prejudice is over and done with, once and for all, and can't be brought back to court. A case dismissed without prejudice means the opposite. It's not dismissed forever. May 24, 2020
{My bold}
Yes, but there's nothing inherently special about that is all I am pointing out. Cases are dismissed with prejudice all the time. The reason it can't be brought back to court is because the reason it was dismissed was that it wasn't dismissed on a technical issue.

Just pointing it out because I've seen a lot of "WOW it was dismissed WITH PREJUDICE" on various things lately. As if it's something that rarely happens.

• Agree
Reactions: Tinker Grey
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Not necessarily true. It is clear that the MSM is biased and selective. Biden can do no wrong.

You must not be seeing the same headlines I'm seeing then. Because it's pretty clear that "Biden can do no wrong" hasn't been the modus operandi of the "MSM".

Trump can do no right.

Well it didn't help much that he was consistently doing wrong.

Nobody is that bad or good. I'm not holding my breath but someone could get tired of all the bias and deception and bring credible evidence to light.

In the end, nothing you've said is really relevant or germane. Bias in the media is completely irrelevant as it pertains to the question of voter fraud allegations--allegations that have consistently demonstrated that they lack anything of substance.

No evidence means no evidence. This isn't media, this isn't even politics, it's about living in objective reality or choosing not to.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nothing special about "with prejudice". It just means the case was heard and decided on its actual merits and wasn't dismissed due to some technical issue.
With prejudice means that the same case cannot be brought against the same defendant.

Dismissals with Prejudice vs. Without Prejudice - Surovell Isaacs & Levy

In the formal legal world, a court case that is dismissed with prejudice means that it is dismissed permanently. A case dismissed with prejudice is over and done with, once and for all, and can't be brought back to court.

A case dismissed without prejudice means the opposite. It's not dismissed forever. The person whose case it is can try again.

Difference between dismissed with or without prejudice

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
With prejudice means that the same case cannot be brought against the same defendant.
Yes, I know what with prejudice means. Things are dismissed "with prejudice" because the case was actually looked at, and not dismissed over technical issues. My point is that it's nothing particularly special. I've noticed a recent rash of people seeing "with prejudice" in these sorts of cases and acting as though it's rare and super meaningful. It's not.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The failed lawsuit mentioned in the OP, for one. I even quoted it in my post.
The failed law suit is NOT an example of cancel culture. The recent attacks against Dr Suess, Yosemite Sam, destroying statues etc. are examples of "cancel culture." You might have some other cliche' but not cancel culture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟575,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dixie Chicks. Freedom Fries. Trump trying to revoke broadcast licenses.
I love challenges and learning new things. So thank you for the tips on what to research.

Dixie Chicks - I assume you mean the controversy in 2003 when we were gearing up to invade Iraq and band member, Nicole Maines made this statement at a concert in London introducing their song "Travelin' Soldier",
"Just so you know, we're on the good side with y'all. We do not want this war, this violence, and we're ashamed that the President of the United States is from Texas."

Country music fans took exception to this and boycotted buying their music feeling it was wrong of her to criticize our President while overseas.

Bush responded to the controversy in an interview with Tom Brokaw on April 24:
"The Dixie Chicks are free to speak their mind. They can say what they want to say ... they shouldn't have their feelings hurt just because some people don't want to buy their records when they speak out ... Freedom is a two-way street ... I don't really care what the Dixie Chicks said. I want to do what I think is right for the American people, and if some singers or Hollywood stars feel like speaking out, that's fine. That's the great thing about America."

That hardly sounds like a person who is trying to cancel anyone.

Freedom Fries - I don't see how renaming a menu item qualifies as cancel culture. If we wanted to cancel French culture in this country, I can think of a lot more effective ways than renaming French Fries. These same fries are called chips in England. So French fries is not really a universal designation anyway.

Trump trying to revoke broadcast licenses - Trump got himself in trouble with a lot of his tweets. These rants would have served him better if he had done them in private and not on public media; but maybe that was his way to let off steam. He did not have the power to do this and nothing happened from it. So if this is an example of GOP cancel culture, we need to take a lesson from the Big Tech firms in how to do it effectively.

All of this said, I don't see Dr. Seuss or Amazon dropping books as cancel culture. Canceling a Presidents ability to communicate with the public he serves is an example. Getting people fired for their views is an example. I would welcome the chance to go back over the last 4 years and bring up examples of this.

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Bush responded to the controversy in an interview with Tom Brokaw on April 24:
"The Dixie Chicks are free to speak their mind. They can say what they want to say ... they shouldn't have their feelings hurt just because some people don't want to buy their records when they speak out ... Freedom is a two-way street ... I don't really care what the Dixie Chicks said. I want to do what I think is right for the American people, and if some singers or Hollywood stars feel like speaking out, that's fine. That's the great thing about America."

That hardly sounds like a person who is trying to cancel anyone.

It's not Dubya's response that is indicative of the Right's cancel culture, it's the boycotts by the Right.
Freedom Fries - I don't see how renaming a menu item qualifies as cancel culture. If we wanted to cancel French culture in this country, I can think of a lot more effective ways than renaming French Fries.

I never said the Right was highly skilled.

All of this said, I don't see Dr. Seuss or Amazon dropping books as cancel culture.

On that we agree, especially because it's the Seuss estate dropping the books.

Canceling a Presidents ability to communicate with the public he serves is an example.

Considering that the President has a briefing room with TV cameras in which he can give a press conference anytime, I can't think of a President having had this ability taken away, can you?
Getting people fired for their views is an example. I would welcome the chance to go back over the last 4 years and bring up examples of this.

You're welcome to do so. Keep in mind, if someone makes a statement or commits an act that is contrary to their employer's policy, they'd be getting themselves fired, wouldn't you say?

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums