Judaism Has Strong Prohibition Against Consuming Blood, So How...

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
could Jesus have possibly told his Jewish disciples that the bread and wine were his body and blood, even if just in a metaphorical sense, let alone in a real sense, as is believed by Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox and some Lutherans and some Anglicans?

It has been decades since I have read my Old Testament and so I had long ago forgotten about this very strong Jewish prohibition. Somehow, I ran across this issue a few weeks back and it has been troubling me ever since. It simply makes no sense to me that Jesus would have told his Jewish disciples to consume blood, something strictly forbidden by Jewish law, by consuming his body and blood. Who wishes to attempt to explain this very strong contradiction?

John is written from the perspective of the early Christian community, and not the literal words of Jesus, necessarily.

It's fairly clear that the Eucharist was understood among early Christians as a rite similar to mystery religions of the ancient near east. It was not understood as a test of loyalty, as in modern evangelicalism, but an actual participation in what the sacred symbols represent.

I'm sure it did shock peoples sensibilities, that was the whole point of it. It's an act that was meant to touch the transcendent and break down traditional barriers.

Jesus himself seems to have criticized the purity culture of 2nd Temple Judaism, so I don't think its surprising he may have administered religious symbols that crossed boundaries. After all, what goes into your body doesn't make you unclean, only what comes out of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus makes it very clear in Jn. 6:63 that he doesn’t mean actually drinking his physical blood (otherwise what are his followers going to do when he has ascended to heaven?). But what he means is trust in and the spiritual appropriation of the benefit of his blood shed on the cross for our forgiveness. This is of course emphasised and symbolised in the wine of the communion.

Theophilus, You are WRONG!

Many of the Lord disciples left Jesus and did not walk anymore with Him, because they knew exactly what Jesus Christ meant and that is to Eat and Drink His Body and Blood Literally!

John 6:60Many therefore of his disciples, hearing it, said: This saying is hard; and who can hear it?
John 6:66After this, many of his disciples went back and walked no more with him. 67Then Jesus said to the twelve: Will you also go away?

Without knowing it is the protestant church who are following those disciples who have left Jesus Christ re eating and drinking His Body and Blood as it states in John 666 for they are Anti-Eucharist aka eating and drinking His Body and Blood. There is no coincidence that you find 666 in John 6:66 but a God-incidence. Amen

Pan De Vida

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Theophilus, You are WRONG!

Many of the Lord disciples left Jesus and did not walk anymore with Him, because they knew exactly what Jesus Christ meant and that is to Eat and Drink His Body and Blood Literally!

John 6:60Many therefore of his disciples, hearing it, said: This saying is hard; and who can hear it?
John 6:66After this, many of his disciples went back and walked no more with him. 67Then Jesus said to the twelve: Will you also go away?

Without knowing it is the protestant church who are following those disciples who have left Jesus Christ re eating and drinking His Body and Blood as it states in John 666 for they are Anti-Eucharist aka eating and drinking His Body and Blood. There is no coincidence that you find 666 in John 6:66 but a God-incidence. Amen

Pan De Vida

They turned away because they did misunderstand. They thought it was literal. God is not going to state not to do something and then turn around and say we must do it---He is contradicting Himself and God is not the author of confusion.
You can find 666 in a lot of ways---Joshua is the 6th book of the OT---in chapter 6 and verse 6

Jos 6:6 And Joshua the son of Nun called the priests, and said unto them, Take up the ark of the covenant, and let seven priests bear seven trumpets of rams' horns before the ark of the LORD.

Proves absolutely nothing.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,904.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
They turned away because they did misunderstand.
So why did Jesus not correct them like He did every other time the disciples didn't understand. You truly believe He was willing to let His followers go over a silly misunderstanding?

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
So why did Jesus not correct them like He did every other time the disciples didn't understand. You truly believe He was willing to let His followers go over a silly misunderstanding?

Not so silly---they did not trust him. There were those that would not understand until after the crucifixion. They turned away--His true disciples stayed. Even though they, too would not understand until after the crucifixion.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,904.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not so silly---they did not trust him. There were those that would not understand until after the crucifixion. They turned away--His true disciples stayed. Even though they, too would not understand until after the crucifixion.
Interesting. So you are of the belief that our Lord and Savior deliberately misled His disciples.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Interesting. So you are of the belief that our Lord and Savior deliberately misled His disciples.

You can misinterpret my meaning all you want. Jesus misleads no one---we are lead away by our own wishes. I simply choose to not go by tradition and by what the bible says.

Act_21:25 As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.

Heb_9:13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:
Heb_9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
Heb 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

Jesus shed His blood once to wash our sins away--our robes are washed in His blood
Rev_7:14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

The sanctuary service pointed to the cleansing iof sins by the blood of Jesus---the High Priest sprinkled the blood to cleanse---he did not have anyne, nor himself, drink the blood of the sacrifices.

• Agree
Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0