Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I suppose if that pastor(s) is following Jesus' words and example--yes--it's possible.

I don't know of any pastors who were alive 2000 years ago.

Additionally, we know straight from the Bible that Peter and Paul, the epitome of good pastors, were not 100% theologically correct.

JM

Upvote 0

Loveaboveall

Mar 14, 2007
✟8,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hyveth does not dress in a way that arouses sexual desire. This is not a Hooters girl we are talking about here.

Then maybe finding some other word to describe her dress would be apporpriate so as not to misrepresent her.

You know, all of your semantic hairsplitting is getting annoying and is giving me a headache.

without semantics how could we communicate? Some people can try to give new definitions to words, that is why I gave the official definition of the word "provocative" to clear up any confusion. Apparently you want to redifine the word?

Hyveth does dress modestly. Sexy does not have to mean immodest. That is your own baggage and repression you are attaching to the word.

I am just using the common definition of the word and pointing out that it cannot be a synonym of "modest".

And you continue misrepresent and misunderstand what I mean when I say provocative.

Maybe you could give me your definition of the word then?

That would be their problem, not hers. They are the ones who should have some semblance of control and not let 'admiration of beauty' cross into 'lustful desire'.

Romans 14:13 ....no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in [his] brother's way.

Upvote 0

NightEternal

Evangelical SDA
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You're just not going to let this go are you?

Then maybe finding some other word to describe her dress would be apporpriate so as not to misrepresent her.

The word is fine and I have not misrepresented her.

Your own personal understanding of what constitutes inappropriately provacative attire is your own. Do not impose that understanding onto others.

without semantics how could we communicate?

You are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Look, it's very simple and you are making it complicated: Consider the outfit in question she is wearing at the time, judge for yourself if it crosses the line for you, and then either look away or leave the church.

Just don't expect others to follow suit and then get in a tizzy if they don't because they disagree with you.

Some people can try to give new definitions to words, that is why I gave the official definition of the word "provocative" to clear up any confusion. Apparently you want to redifine the word?

Bwahahahaha! 'Official' definition? That's rich.

If you want to be restricted and have Webster define your understanding of the finer nuances of a word, that is your problem.

I believe a woman can dress provacatively in a good way. You seem to think this is beyond the realm of possibility.

Whatever, We part ways and I feel no need whatsoever to close that gap.

I'm pretty much done haggling over the meaning of this word with you. This conversation has descended into the absurd for me quite a few posts ago.

I am just using the common definition of the word and pointing out that it cannot be a synonym of "modest".

In your opinion it cannot be. I do not share that opinion.

If you cannot deal with that, tough nuts for you. Not my problem.

Maybe you could give me your definition of the word then?

Listen, can we just drop this whole 'definition' nonsense already?! :doh: You have attached only negative connotations to the word. I do not share that approach. Provocative can also mean 'compelling' or 'alluring'. You could also say it is a charismatic trait or quality.

Hardly inappropriate, base, lustful terminology.

Romans 14:13 ....no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in [his] brother's way.

Stumbling block to you maybe. That's fine. Look away or leave the church. But leave the rest of us who have no problems with her appearance to enjoy the complete package that is 'Hyveth': Pastor, leader, powerful speaker, rooted in her Jamaican culture, glories in her womanhood, provocative in a good way! :thumbsup:

hyvethb2.jpg

2004-03-12_Hyveth-Williams.jpg

hyvethpreach2.jpg

Upvote 0

moicherie

True Brit
Oct 13, 2005
United Kingdom
✟16,811.00
Faith
SDA
All I am saying is that when something is going on, we have all had a "feeling" on what the issue was. And we need to listen to that "feeling". That feeling is the Holy Spirit talking to you. If you are uncomfortable, then I believe the Holy Spirit is telling you something.

We need to pay attention to that small voice inside speaking to us.
I would surmise the Holy Spirit is more than just a 'feeling', some of our feelings are influenced by our cultural prejudices that we hold onto dearly. And those are the hardest to deal with cos they based on our precious feelings.
Back to the programme I don't know if Bynum is the spawn of Satan or not I'll leave that to the Ultimate judge to deal with. The way some of us talk about other christian people in other churches with our unchristian attitude says more about us than it does about them.

Upvote 0

moicherie

True Brit
Oct 13, 2005
United Kingdom
✟16,811.00
Faith
SDA
Well, here's the problem I'm running into while trying to test her spirit with the same microscope I put Juanita Bynum under....

I ran across the same things you did Honor, about a sermon called "How to have sex with God" (cringe). However, there are only four mentions of it on the internet, and two of those are hits to the same person's writing, just on two different websites.

That's not what the sermon was called. The person that wrote about it admits to renaming the sermon because he/she felt like it was the overall message of the sermon.

"The brochure listed her second (afternoon) sermon

as
“Whole in One: Single and Loving It.” But,
on the tape, it was

“Christ in You, the Hope of
Salvation.” By the time she gave this second talk,
her voice was somewhat hoarse from all the yelling
she had done that morning. My title for this second
remarkable presentation, given that afternoon,
is “How to Have Sex with God”; for that is
the point that it works toward—" (I couldn't post all of it because I think the words would get filtered out).

The website says you can order the audio tapes of the sermon. I say we do it, and see for ourselves.

A classic example of bearing false witness, one should not lie on Pastor Hyveth in order to disagree with her which this person on the site did. Shame on them.

Upvote 0

moicherie

True Brit
Oct 13, 2005
United Kingdom
✟16,811.00
Faith
SDA
I'm not one bit surprised by your support of her.

And for what it's worth--I think Loma Linda is a disgrace to the true Adventist movement. They have totally apostatized and are as worldly as a church can get.
They don't impress me at all, they embarrass me.
wow I see the club of 'ignore the beam in ya eye 'is still open for business.....You dont' hold a monopoly on Adventism HTS so get over it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lebesgue

Feb 25, 2008
✟16,029.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not one bit surprised by your support of her.

And for what it's worth--I think Loma Linda is a disgrace to the true Adventist movement. They have totally apostatized and are as worldly as a church can get.
They don't impress me at all, they embarrass me.

I like Hyveth Williams and I think her church is definetly one of the better SDA churches.

Before I left the SDA church I proposed a compromise to my wife, who is 3rd generation SDA that if we transferred to Hyveth Williams' church I would stay in the SDA church. She wouldn't go for it as Loma Linda is 50 miles one way for us to drive and she doesn't agree with women being pastors.

It was for the better anyway. I'm much happier as a Messianic than I ever was as an SDA.

G-d Bless.

Shalom,

Lebesgue

Upvote 0

digdeep

Nov 15, 2007
✟15,362.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I like Hyveth Williams and I think her church is definetly one of the better SDA churches.

Before I left the SDA church I proposed a compromise to my wife, who is 3rd generation SDA that if we transferred to Hyveth Williams' church I would stay in the SDA church. She wouldn't go for it as Loma Linda is 50 miles one way for us to drive and she doesn't agree with women being pastors.

It was for the better anyway. I'm much happier as a Messianic than I ever was as an SDA.

G-d Bless.

Shalom,

Lebesgue

:thumbsup: to Hyveth Williams.

Upvote 0