LDS Joseph Smith's Claim of an Apostasy is a Lie

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
There is no Melchezedek priesthood. Melchezedek was a shadowing of Jesus Christ.

The only people in the Melchezedek priesthood are Melchezedek and Jesus Christ. Two people. One, and two. That's it. It was a foreshadowing of Jesus Christ.

It's not lost. It served it's purpose, it foreshadowed Christ. Now that Christ is here, there is no more. It's very simple. Two people, one was a foreshadow of the other. It was always a foreshadow, that's why the Levitical priesthood was the priesthood. Because the Melchezedek one only existed in concept.

Please read the bottom two areas about Melchezedek priesthood again.
Melchisedec may have been a type or shadow of Jesus. He was not Jesus, but was a great king and priest of the Most High God. Ironically, the God that Melchisedec worshipped was king and priest to was Jesus Christ.

The priesthood is something completely different than the man. The priesthood is the right to officiate for God on this earth when he is in heaven. The priesthood was not a type or shadow. The MP was not a foreshadowing of Jesus, it was Jesus's authority to act in his Gods name while he was on earth. Melchisedec the man may have been a type or foreshadow of Jesus. I have looked and found no scripture that said that the MP served its purpose and when Jesus came it was no longer needed. The opposite is true, when Jesus came, he brought the MP back to the earth, did his ministry with the full effect of the MP and then passed it on to his apostles so they had the correct authority to act for him when he went to heaven.

To say that there was no Melchisedec priesthood is not correct. Jesus was a priest forever after the "order of Melchisedec".
Heb. 7:11
If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the orderof Aaron? BTW, the "order of Melchisedec.

Notice the verbiage, "order of Aaron", "order of Melchisedec". The idea of an "order" implies more than 2 members of that "order of priesthood". I have looked and have found no scripture that says that Jesus and Melchisedec are the only 2 men that are going to be in the "order of the Melchisedec priesthood.

I remember from earlier posts that you had something to say about Jesus and Melchisedec being the only 2 men that were qualified to be members of the MP. I found this to be erroneous information because Jesus had a mother and father and he died on the cross. BTW so did Melchisedec die. So according to your Hebrew scripture, neither qualified. I suspect that some scholar tried to prove something and you read it and it fit your no-priesthood agenda and you believed it. It is just not true. The priesthood was expanded to all worthy people to grow and expand the true church of Jesus, as told in the NT. It is the royal priesthood mentioned by Peter.

The MP did not just exist in concept. What kind of a statement is that. Is it sort of like saying, grace only exists in concept. If you don't have the authority to act in God's name while he is in heaven, you can not act in God's name. If you have the keys, you can. It is kind of simple.

Upvote 0

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You say: Peter, God rules my church. Not you. Not mormonism. Don't be surprised by that fact when the time comes. You wish to remain under your delusions, go right ahead. I'll continue to pray for you that you come to enjoy the full blessings of being one in Christ.

This is not a discussion about who rules your church, of course I do not rule your church. I just said, because you deny the priesthood's existence, no body in your church has it or even wants it. That would be the truth, wouldn't it?

You say: ---There is no human "power" structure within the NT church. Jesus is our Head. We are His willing hands and feet, bringing His Gospel, God's message of salvation, to the lost of the world. We are all equal workers in God's Kingdom, working toward the same goal. Nobody is higher than another in Christianity. The only true "power" at work is God's grace and love.
For you to say there was no power structure within the NT church means you are in denial about what the NT says, or you haven't read the NT. Eph. 2:20 tells us what the foundation is of the church Jesus set up. That foundation is made up of apostles and prophets and Jesus is the chief cornerstone. So the head of the church is Jesus Christ, but right under him is his apostles and prophets.

In Mat. 16:19 Jesus gave Peter and the apostles the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and those keys came with the power to bind and loose on earth and it would be bound and loosed in heaven. Everyone was not part of the foundation/or head of the church. Everyone was not given the power of the keys of the kingdom of God. The apostles were the start of the structure that existed in the NT church. You can deny that all day long and you would still be wrong, not per JS, but per the NT. After the apostles came bishops, then elders, then ...
I will agree with you that the head of the church could do absolutely nothing unless the hands and the feet and the whole body is actively engaged in the spreading and teaching of the gospel of love. So even though there was a priesthood structure, all members are as important as the apostles, and the apostles are no more important than any other member. It is true, even today, we look at the apostles as a necessary office in the church, but unless the deacon in the ward, or a woman in the ward, does not bear testimony of Jesus Christ and does not do their jobs, the apostle becomes a useless office.

You say: What is so bad about being equal before God in light of that? Who is like Him? Even men and women are equals before Him, in any culture. Not so in mormonism. I wasn't allowed to hold a "priesthood", being female. See?

Men and women in the Mormon church are exactly equal before God. In their equality, they do have their roles. A woman has the primary role of bearing children from the Lord. The man was not chosen to bear children, but he can recieve the benefits of children through the woman. The man has the primary role of bearing the priesthood. A woman has not been chosen to bear the priesthood. The woman can recieve the benefits of the priesthood, through the man. Tell me which role is more important?

You say: Some churches believe in holding the apostles office. Good for them. But that man in that office is no better a Christian than I or anyone else is.

In theory you are right.

You say: And how do you know my church doesn't have bishops and elders? You are assuming it doesn't because its a "Christian" church?

I would expect it, since you are so bible oriented. If it does not, then what?

You say: Let me get that door for you.

I seriously thank you for that gesture.

Peter. All you keep doing is going round and round creating these strange crop circles, pretending its somehow going to become a straight line everyone will accept as divine? IDK what to make of it. Do I believe in a priesthood? Of course I do. Levites were chosen priests of God (when there was a temple, that is. The NT tells us those who accept Jesus Christ's Lordship are now that temple made without hands, with Jesus Christ as High Priest). Do the Apostles Peter and John tell ALL believers that the priesthood has been bestowed, by God, upon ALL believers everywhere, who are now able to access God directly though Jesus Christ, their Savior and Lord, without going through someone else or requiring an animal sacrifice? That they now have the indwelling Holy Spirit? That they have been chosen, yet again, as priests of God? That they now can take the Gospel of salvation to the world? Of course they do. I've told you this before. So why would I not believe what the Word of God so clearly states now? Are you somehow assuming two of the Lord's Apostles... lied??

You, however, are the one rootlessly tumbling and twisting in the wind here, claiming--so many things--were "restored", when no one has ever proven the designation of priest bestowed BY GOD Himself upon all believers, was ever taken away! You are the one who has chosen to believe a myth of someone else's convenience, when both our bibles state unequivocally that all believers are priests eternally. You are the one who has chosen to place faith in others while minimizing God's Word. I haven't. I chose to believe GOD alone long, long ago, without ever seeing one sentence of any "anti-Mormon" material. If you wish to believe JS's words and not God's Word alone? So be it, but enough already, okay? Face the fact that you are upset because I reject JS's view of God's "priesthood", JS's "abomination" coupled with "apostasy" tales, so now you must tell yourself that I don't believe in ANY priesthood? Admit it. Try to move on. All that typing, and for what? Seriously.

Your belief in mormonism's rules don't affect my church, my faith, and my relationship with God--OR GOD not one iota. That is what I meant. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, although I thought I was to someone who I considered intelligent enough to understand that. Or did you, but still thought maybe you could "argue" me around to your thinking? Not a chance, dear. Not a chance. Ever ever again. You think you are the first who had a go? LOL!! Oh, if you only knew. I'm not going to be the one dog you can persuade that vomit tastes good. If not that, just what is truly at the bottom of all these meandering, lengthy, acrobatic "discourses" of yours with me, anyway? Trust me, you are welcome to your beliefs if you truly wish to believe them! Just stop telling yourself or me that we doctrinally "agree", we are "brothers and sisters in the Lord", you have "proven"... whatever... to me about mormonism, etc., etc. Never going to happen... according to GOD'S Word. Not mine, not yours, and certainly never JS's. No one can ever disprove what God has shown me.

Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Melchisedec may have been a type or shadow of Jesus. He was not Jesus, but was a great king and priest of the Most High God. Ironically, the God that Melchisedec worshipped was king and priest to was Jesus Christ.

The priesthood is something completely different than the man. The priesthood is the right to officiate for God on this earth when he is in heaven. The priesthood was not a type or shadow. The MP was not a foreshadowing of Jesus, it was Jesus's authority to act in his Gods name while he was on earth. Melchisedec the man may have been a type or foreshadow of Jesus. I have looked and found no scripture that said that the MP served its purpose and when Jesus came it was no longer needed. The opposite is true, when Jesus came, he brought the MP back to the earth, did his ministry with the full effect of the MP and then passed it on to his apostles so they had the correct authority to act for him when he went to heaven.

To say that there was no Melchisedec priesthood is not correct. Jesus was a priest forever after the "order of Melchisedec".
Heb. 7:11
If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the orderof Aaron? BTW, the "order of Melchisedec.

Notice the verbiage, "order of Aaron", "order of Melchisedec". The idea of an "order" implies more than 2 members of that "order of priesthood". I have looked and have found no scripture that says that Jesus and Melchisedec are the only 2 men that are going to be in the "order of the Melchisedec priesthood.

I remember from earlier posts that you had something to say about Jesus and Melchisedec being the only 2 men that were qualified to be members of the MP. I found this to be erroneous information because Jesus had a mother and father and he died on the cross. BTW so did Melchisedec die. So according to your Hebrew scripture, neither qualified. I suspect that some scholar tried to prove something and you read it and it fit your no-priesthood agenda and you believed it. It is just not true. The priesthood was expanded to all worthy people to grow and expand the true church of Jesus, as told in the NT. It is the royal priesthood mentioned by Peter.

The MP did not just exist in concept. What kind of a statement is that. Is it sort of like saying, grace only exists in concept. If you don't have the authority to act in God's name while he is in heaven, you can not act in God's name. If you have the keys, you can. It is kind of simple.

Show me in the Bible anyone else in Melchezedek priesthood other than Melchezedek and Jesus?

Melchezedek did not die. Another
fallacy. Where are you getting this from?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean by in theory? I'm interested in what this theory is.
In theory all members are equal. Some are more righteous than others in real life. Some are more active and valient in their testimonies of Jesus Christ. Some are more willing to sacrifice their time and energies and resources to the building up of the kingdom of God.

IOW some have more faith than others. And as you know what James said, Faith without works is dead.

This is what Jesus said about righteousness and equality:
Matthew 5:20
For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

So you see, in theory, all are equal, Jesus loves everyone the same. Jesus's love is unconditional. But in order to get into the kingdom of heaven you have to be active in the testimony of Jesus and much good works.

That is why Jesus says:
John 14:15-16
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever.

Some show their love and are more righteous than others. We all have an equal chance to be equal in righteousness and love.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Show me in the Bible anyone else in Melchezedek priesthood other than Melchezedek and Jesus?

The MP was the priesthood that Jesus held. When he ordained the 12 apostles, this is the authority he gave them was the authority that he held, the MP. So now all 12 apostles held the MP and Peter had the keys of this MP.

Melchisedec's death is not known. He was a man, not a God. So there is an educated guess that he died, like most men do. He could have been translated. There are some that believe he was taken into heaven along with the city he was the king of righteousness over. Like Enoch. But we can debate whether he died or not, forever, but the bible is silent, so it is all conjecture. Enough conjecture that I would not build my whole theory around him being only 1 of 2 people that was qualified to hold the MP, because he did not die. We just don't know.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The MP was the priesthood that Jesus held. When he ordained the 12 apostles, this is the authority he gave them was the authority that he held, the MP. So now all 12 apostles held the MP and Peter had the keys of this MP.

Melchisedec's death is not known. He was a man, not a God. So there is an educated guess that he died, like most men do. He could have been translated. There are some that believe he was taken into heaven along with the city he was the king of righteousness over. Like Enoch. But we can debate whether he died or not, forever, but the bible is silent, so it is all conjecture. Enough conjecture that I would not build my whole theory around him being only 1 of 2 people that was qualified to hold the MP, because he did not die. We just don't know.
Where does it say that in the Bible? Jesus did not give anyone the Melchezedek priesthood, hence why only Jesus and Melchezedek had it.

It is the priesthood of the HIGH PRIEST. Get it

What else does scripture say about Melchezedek?

Hebrews 7:3 says that Melchizedek was “without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, resembling the Son of God, he remains a priest forever.”

Who is without a father or mother?

Who is without geneology?

Who is without a beginning of days?

Who is without end of days?

Who is resembling the Son of God?

Ummm.. Yeah.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So you are saying that we have the history wrong? Please enlighten us

Constantine, along with his co-emperor Licinius passed the Edict of Toleration (also called the Edict of Milan) which legalized the Christian religion.

Christianity didn't become the official religion of the Roman Empire until Theodosius and the Edict of Thessalonika, almost a hundred years later.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Constantine, along with his co-emperor Licinius passed the Edict of Toleration (also called the Edict of Milan) which legalized the Christian religion.

Christianity didn't become the official religion of the Roman Empire until Theodosius and the Edict of Thessalonika, almost a hundred years later.

-CryptoLutheran
Thanks as always

Upvote 0

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where does it say that in the Bible? Jesus did not give anyone the Melchezedek priesthood, hence why only Jesus and Melchezedek had it.

It is the priesthood of the HIGH PRIEST. Get it

What else does scripture say about Melchezedek?

Hebrews 7:3 says that Melchizedek was “without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, resembling the Son of God, he remains a priest forever.”

Who is without a father or mother?

Who is without geneology?

Who is without a beginning of days?

Who is without end of days?

Who is resembling the Son of God?

Ummm.. Yeah.
When Abraham entered the land of Canaan around 2000 BC the city of Jerusalem was called Salem (Gen 14). After Abram returned from defeating Kedorlaomer and the kings allied with him, the king of Sodom came out to meet him in the Valley of Shaveh (that is, the King’s Valley). Then Melchizedek, king of Salem, brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High, and he blessed Abram, saying, “Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth. And blessed be God Most High, who delivered your enemies into your hand.” Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything." (Gen 14:17-20)

Melchizedek’s city was called Salem, or Shalem, which is also the name of the God whose worship was centered in the city. The full name of this God was “God Most High, Creator of Heaven and Earth” since he was the God of creation. It is interesting to note that Abram recognizes this God in verse 22 when he swears by his name and, at the same time, calls him “Lord” which is the word YHWH, the name of the covenant God of Israel:

"Abram said to the king of Sodom, “I have raised my hand to the Lord (YHWH), God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth, and have taken an oath that I will accept nothing belonging to you.” (Gen 14:22-23)

The name of the city Jerusalem was originally “Yeru-shalem”. We already know that “shalem” comes from the name of the God worshiped in the city by Melchizedek. (The Jews taught that Melchizedek was Noah’s son Shem, who, according to biblical records, was still alive at this time.) The word “yeru” means “foundation stone” or “cornerstone.” The name Jerusalem, then, means “the foundation stone of Shalem” and refers to the original cornerstone laid by the Creator of the Universe when he built the earth. Melchizedek was the king of this city, which was located on the southern part of the Eastern Hill between the Kidron Valley and the Central Valley. Abraham met Melchizedek in the Valley of Shaveh, that is the King’s Valley (Gen 14:17). This would be at the south end of the ridge of the city where the Kidron and Hinnom valleys meet. Melchizedek was also a [high] priest of God Most High, who was Abraham’s God as well.

Abraham was in Jerusalem again a few years later when he offered Isaac on Mount Moriah, as described in Gen 22. Mount Moriah is on the northern end of the Eastern Hill that Melchizedek’s city sat on. So, in Gen 14, Abraham met Melchizedek on the south end of the Eastern Hill in the valley, but in Gen 22 he went to the highest point, the north end, of that same ridge.

Canaanites continued to live in the city through the days of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Jacob’s 12 sons. After the Hebrews spent 400 years in Egypt and 40 years in the wilderness, Joshua led them into the Promised Land. The Jebusites (also called Amorites) were a group of Canaanites. The king’s name at that time was Adonizedek (Jos 10:1-3) who appears to be an heir or descendent of Melchizedek. (Notice the spelling: Melchi-zedek.) The Zedek family, or the Zedek title, had been ruling Jerusalem from 2000 to 1400 BC. In about the year 1404 BC, Adoni-zedek met Joshua on that fateful day when the sun stood still and was killed by Joshua (Jos 10:3; 12:7, 10). Joshua continued to lead the Israelites through this Promised Land given to Abraham by God. After Joshua’s death, the men of Judah attacked and captured Jerusalem. The people in the city were slaughtered and the city was burnt. The men of Judah attacked Jerusalem also and took it. They put the city to the sword and set it on fire (Jud 1:8). After that time the city of Jerusalem was resettled by Jebusites and the city was named Jebus-salem by its inhabitants. Judah could not dislodge the Jebusites, who were living in Jerusalem; to this day the Jebusites live there with the people of Judah (Jos 15:63).

From - Jerusalem: History, Archaeology and Apologetic Proof of Scripture, by Galyn Wiemer.

Melchi Zedek, King and High Priest of Jerusalem, the City of God. There has been no other King and High Priest of Jerusalem between Melchi Zedek and Jesus Christ. There have been none after. No Mormon is a King and/or a High Priest of Jerusalem (not even JS, who insisted upon crowning himself "King of Israel" to pretend he was). There never will be any "order" of Melchi Zedek on earth outside of Melchi and Jesus, who both met all the divine and earthly conditions. Neither one appointed themselves, unlike JS.

Somehow I don't think the nation of Israel would approve of LDS leaders styling themselves "King of Jerusalem/Israel and High Priest". Because that would be a lie. Is this why the LDS keeps it quiet, while Mormons evade questions about it? I believe Christianity would be just as equally outraged if the LDS dared make it... publicly official... that JS was their "type" of Jesus Christ as well. Ummm.. Yeah.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When Abraham entered the land of Canaan around 2000 BC the city of Jerusalem was called Salem (Gen 14). After Abram returned from defeating Kedorlaomer and the kings allied with him, the king of Sodom came out to meet him in the Valley of Shaveh (that is, the King’s Valley). Then Melchizedek, king of Salem, brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High, and he blessed Abram, saying, “Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth. And blessed be God Most High, who delivered your enemies into your hand.” Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything." (Gen 14:17-20)

Melchizedek’s city was called Salem, or Shalem, which is also the name of the God whose worship was centered in the city. The full name of this God was “God Most High, Creator of Heaven and Earth” since he was the God of creation. It is interesting to note that Abram recognizes this God in verse 22 when he swears by his name and, at the same time, calls him “Lord” which is the word YHWH, the name of the covenant God of Israel:

"Abram said to the king of Sodom, “I have raised my hand to the Lord (YHWH), God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth, and have taken an oath that I will accept nothing belonging to you.” (Gen 14:22-23)

The name of the city Jerusalem was originally “Yeru-shalem”. We already know that “shalem” comes from the name of the God worshiped in the city by Melchizedek. (The Jews taught that Melchizedek was Noah’s son Shem, who, according to biblical records, was still alive at this time.) The word “yeru” means “foundation stone” or “cornerstone.” The name Jerusalem, then, means “the foundation stone of Shalem” and refers to the original cornerstone laid by the Creator of the Universe when he built the earth. Melchizedek was the king of this city, which was located on the southern part of the Eastern Hill between the Kidron Valley and the Central Valley. Abraham met Melchizedek in the Valley of Shaveh, that is the King’s Valley (Gen 14:17). This would be at the south end of the ridge of the city where the Kidron and Hinnom valleys meet. Melchizedek was also a [high] priest of God Most High, who was Abraham’s God as well.

Abraham was in Jerusalem again a few years later when he offered Isaac on Mount Moriah, as described in Gen 22. Mount Moriah is on the northern end of the Eastern Hill that Melchizedek’s city sat on. So, in Gen 14, Abraham met Melchizedek on the south end of the Eastern Hill in the valley, but in Gen 22 he went to the highest point, the north end, of that same ridge.

Canaanites continued to live in the city through the days of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Jacob’s 12 sons. After the Hebrews spent 400 years in Egypt and 40 years in the wilderness, Joshua led them into the Promised Land. The Jebusites (also called Amorites) were a group of Canaanites. The king’s name at that time was Adonizedek (Jos 10:1-3) who appears to be an heir or descendent of Melchizedek. (Notice the spelling: Melchi-zedek.) The Zedek family, or the Zedek title, had been ruling Jerusalem from 2000 to 1400 BC. In about the year 1404 BC, Adoni-zedek met Joshua on that fateful day when the sun stood still and was killed by Joshua (Jos 10:3; 12:7, 10). Joshua continued to lead the Israelites through this Promised Land given to Abraham by God. After Joshua’s death, the men of Judah attacked and captured Jerusalem. The people in the city were slaughtered and the city was burnt. The men of Judah attacked Jerusalem also and took it. They put the city to the sword and set it on fire (Jud 1:8). After that time the city of Jerusalem was resettled by Jebusites and the city was named Jebus-salem by its inhabitants. Judah could not dislodge the Jebusites, who were living in Jerusalem; to this day the Jebusites live there with the people of Judah (Jos 15:63).

From - Jerusalem: History, Archaeology and Apologetic Proof of Scripture, by Galyn Wiemer.

Melchi Zedek, King and High Priest of Jerusalem, the City of God. There has been no other King and High Priest of Jerusalem between Melchi Zedek and Jesus Christ. There have been none after. No Mormon is a King and/or a High Priest of Jerusalem (not even JS, who insisted upon crowning himself "King of Israel" to pretend he was). There never will be any "order" of Melchi Zedek on earth outside of Melchi and Jesus, who both met all the divine and earthly conditions. Neither one appointed themselves, unlike JS.

Somehow I don't think the nation of Israel would approve of LDS leaders styling themselves "King of Jerusalem/Israel and High Priest". Because that would be a lie. Is this why the LDS keeps it quiet, while Mormons evade questions about it? I believe Christianity would be just as equally outraged if the LDS dared make it... publicly official... that JS was their "type" of Jesus Christ as well. Ummm.. Yeah.
That is a great story until you started to add your opinion

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is a great story until you started to add your opinion
Why do you have to always make everything personal? It's not doing you any real good in this forum.

Fact:... Melchi Zedek and Jesus Christ are the only two people who have ever met the extremely narrow conditions for the "order of Melchizedek" High Priest. Comprised of two people, alone. Melchi is a well-known "type" of Christ. We all are aware of that.

Opinion:.. JS styling himself "King of Israel" is like someone having the gall to sit down and play Beethoven's piano, thinking he's playing exactly like him.

Nice try at the redirect. Notice, you didn't answer the questions I asked about the LDS. Here's a great opportunity to answer someone inquiring about LDS practices! Isn't that what this forum is about? So, are you going to give it a go or avoid it like too many do? I have no fear of the subject.

Upvote 0

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Fact: They can't show you anyone else because there was no one else who met the conditions of King and High Priest. Jesus is the FINAL High Priest of the "order of Melchizekek". He still reigns, does He not?

Opinion: So JS crowning himself "King of Israel" and styling himself as new High Priest of the "order of Melchizekek" was nothing but a slap in the face of God. Shortly after he had the audacity to assume this, within the month, he was killed. God doesn't like it when humans assume they can tell Him what His Plan is going to be.

Jesus still reigns. No question about it.

Melchizekek does not have any known genealogy. Nobody wrote it down for Moses to trace and include in the Pentateuch. Nothing is known of where his family came to power, but they do know what happened to his descendants. They died, just like him, the kingdom of Salem/Jerusalem taken away from them for disobedience to GOD, just like King Solomon.
Moses recognized the office as being a "type" or word picture of the future Messiah. So did Paul recognize it as Jesus Christ alone being able to hold it. He still does hold it, and will eternally. No more "High Priest after the Order of Melchizedek" will ever be needed. Because that particular priesthood office is unfillable by man.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do the Apostles Peter and John tell ALL believers that the priesthood has been bestowed, by God, upon ALL believers everywhere, who are now able to access God directly though Jesus Christ, their Savior and Lord, without going through someone else or requiring an animal sacrifice? That they now have the indwelling Holy Spirit? That they have been chosen, yet again, as priests of God?

Yes we can all access God directly, Jesus taught us to pray

Matt 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

In Hebrews 10 he is referring to the temple where before only the High Priest could enter the Holiest of Holy now that has changed
19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh

I think you are equating the gift of the Holy Spirit with the priesthood.

In 1Peter he address five different populations of the Church.

1, The first the priesthood members;
1Peter 1: 22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:

1Peter 2: 5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ……Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.

2, Then he address those who are in bondage;

18 Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward.

3, Then he address the women or wives

1Peter 3:1 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands;

4, Then husbands and how they should treat wives

1Peter 3: 7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.

5, Lastly he addresses the church as a whole;

1Peter3:8 Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:

He makes a distinction between these groups, the priesthood is a brotherhood and wives are not part of it.

It appears that those in bondage could also not be part of it.

Yet I believe they all had the Holy Spirit dwelling with them. I receive the gift of the Holy Ghost by someone holding the priesthood and representing God but that doesn’t mean he gave me the priesthood.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Christ never passed on priesthood, He was the final High Priest was the final one.
Hebrews 7
27 Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.
28 For the law maketh men high priests which have infirmity; but the word of the oath, which was since the law, maketh the Son, who is consecrated for evermore.

I agree, we don't know anything about Melchisedec other than what the Bible already tells us, which isn't very much. That's why I don't believe in a "Melchizedek Priesthood" which is a mormon construct and not something any Christian believes.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christ never passed on priesthood, He was the final High Priest was the final one.
Hebrews 7
27 Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.
28 For the law maketh men high priests which have infirmity; but the word of the oath, which was since the law, maketh the Son, who is consecrated for evermore.

I agree, we don't know anything about Melchisedec other than what the Bible already tells us, which isn't very much. That's why I don't believe in a "Melchizedek Priesthood" which is a mormon construct and not something any Christian believes.
If he is the final high priest then who were some of the high priest before him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yet I believe they all had the Holy Spirit dwelling with them. I receive the gift of the Holy Ghost by someone holding the priesthood and representing God but that doesn’t mean he gave me the priesthood.
I understand this is what you believe, but what does the mormon church teach?

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So JS crowning himself "King of Israel"

Oh my goodness are you steeped in anti-Mormonism or what.

Rev 19:16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

1Tim 6
"....until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords"

Rev 1
5 And from Jesus Christ, ....hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Jesus is King of Kings, if no one else is crowned king then how can he be King of kings ??

*There was some sort of ordinance preformed but what that was exactly we're not sure because it was misconstrued by Joseph's enemies and that has woven it's way into the fables about Joseph. So sorting that out is difficult.

There is a diary entry of George A. Smith in May 1844 which says “Joseph Smith has been ordained “King over the Immediate house of Israel” , in Mormon speak that means the Church.

Today we sustain our prophets this way;

"It is proposed that we sustain Thomas Spencer Monson as prophet, seer, and revelator and President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints"

Then later in a private ceremony and ordination a new prophet would receive that ordination. I think the word president has replace king.

But there is a second concept in that Joseph Smith is the head or king of our dispensation as Moses is the head and King of his dispensation.

Upvote 0