Johnny Cash : Sinners make the best Saints ?

The Ascetic Crusader

Senior Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
Milk River , Alberta
✟16,955.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

The Ascetic Crusader

Senior Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
Milk River , Alberta
✟16,955.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I´m missing a couple of the celebs in the video...someone help me out...

I saw :

Iggy Pop, Kanye West, Coldplay ,
K. Kristofersson (old dude playin guitar), Joni Mitchell (old gal playin´ guitar), dunno the dude readin the Bible in his limo, Flea (Bass for RHCP), dunno, dunno, Chris Rock (chillin on the couch), Justin Tomberlake ( N´SYNC ?!!!), Kate Moss
(supermodel ,former coke-head?), Robert Altman
(Hollywood director - MASH, Celebrity), Sheryl Crowe (chick on bridge), Dennis Hopper (Easy Rider) , Woody Harrelson (Cheers/Natural Born Killers), Amy Lee
(Lead singer - Evanescence), Tommy Lee (drummer), dunno, dunno, dunno, dunno, Sharon Stone (chick chillin on the couch),Bono, dunno(cryin), dunno, Anthony Keidis ( singer - RHCP ), Travis (Blink 182),Lisa-Marie Presley (Yup, The King´s daughter), Kid-Rock, Jay-Z, Keith Richards (Guitar - The Stones),
ZZ-top, dunno , Johnny Depp (Pirates of the Carribean),
Jerry-Lee Lewis (The Killer - Last surviving member of Sam Phillip´s Golden Four - Elvis, Carl Perkins, Cash, Lewis), Rick Rubin (Cash´s producer) and ...What ? Owen Wilson ??? ( actor- ruined the video for me)
That´s it guys...

Upvote 0

antiarte

Jan 18, 2005
communist russia
✟3,812.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
dunno the dude readin the Bible in his limo...
I think that's as Terrence Howard, the actor..

...dunno, dunno
...Q-Tip from the hip-hop group A Tribe Called Quest and the dude from Maroon 5...

dunno, dunno, dunno,
...The Dixie Chicks. Natalie Maine's too hot.:thumbsup:

What ? Owen Wilson ??? ( actor- ruined the video for me)
Nah, the mannered-looking guy from Coldplay ruins the video. What a [wash my filthy mouth] [wash my filthy mouth] [wash my filthy mouth]!

Great song. Don't know about the video....eh.

Upvote 0

antiarte

Jan 18, 2005
communist russia
✟3,812.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
What the bleep is Owen Wilson doin in there ? Seriously...go back to your half-baked comedies man!!!
Half-baked comedies? His character Dignan from Bottle Rocket is pure genius, one of the best from the 90's. He also co-wrote The Royal Tenembaums an was great in The Minus Man. He needs to start working with Wes Anderson again, though, 'cause the rest is half-baked crap.

Upvote 0

foo-oswald

There goes my hero...just a patsy...
Mar 11, 2004
Right here
✟2,566.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...In one scene, Bono paints a graffiti
that reads : Sinners make the Best Saints...

Hmmmm

Thoughts ?

Great song, great video. As a Christian, how could I disagree with Bono's assertion that sinners make the best Saints? We're all in the same boat...

Upvote 0

The Ascetic Crusader

Senior Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
Milk River , Alberta
✟16,955.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Great song, great video. As a Christian, how could I disagree with Bono's assertion that sinners make the best Saints? We're all in the same boat...

Maybe these celebrity sinners would make good saints ? Like Johnny Cash was in his own way ?

Upvote 0

foo-oswald

Mar 11, 2004
Right here
✟2,566.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Still, the idea is a bit unsettling ...

Why? We're all sinners, so the statement is true by default. I applaud Bono for continually "creating controversy" by asking questions that really inspire one to delve deeply into his/her beliefs.

Granted, there is a certain amount of ambiguity to the statement, but that is often a good thing, IMO...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Ascetic Crusader

Senior Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
Milk River , Alberta
✟16,955.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Why? We're all sinners, so the statement is true by default. I applaud Bono for continually "creating controversy" by asking questions that really inspire one to delve deeply into his/her beliefs.

Granted, there is a certain amount of ambiguity to the statement, but that is often a good thing, IMO...

What do you mean ?

Upvote 0

foo-oswald

Mar 11, 2004
Right here
✟2,566.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean?

I was expounding on my assertion that Bono did a good thing by making that statement, although I guess I actually did no more than "muddy the waters" with my own ambiguity, didn't I?

What I was trying to say is that I think the statement is a great catalyst for discussion. How many will see that video, wonder what he means and begin to seek the answer?

Upvote 0

foo-oswald

Mar 11, 2004
Right here
✟2,566.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...What does the statement "sinners make the best saints" mean to you ?

It means that the best examples of Christ are those who don't forget where they've been, which keeps them humble and non-judgmental.

It also means the best examples of Christ are those who don't get too caught up in whatever particular denomination they are associated with, with all of it's rituals and man-made rules and regulations (you know, no secular music, no rated-R movies, and the classic rule, "don't drink, smoke, chew, or hang out with those that do"), but instead stay focused on the example Christ set for us as they attempt to follow that example...

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟380,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
no one mentioned Brian "The MAN!" Wilson?! He's in the car nearish the end.

Not sure I like hte video but to be fair, I can't hear any sound. I will say this, the esthetic is pretty dull and uninventive. Sure there were a lot of famous people flashing a face but so what?

What makes this video so BAD ACE COOL is the fact that it's a johnny freakin' CASH SONG!!! You could have had a video of a hot dog on a bbq and people would still find merit in it's "awesomeness".

This is not me knocking the cash man...HE can do no wrong. I just don't understand hte point in all these celebrities. I never would have pictured johnny as a name dropper like that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

antiarte

Jan 18, 2005
communist russia
✟3,812.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
no one mentioned Brian "The MAN!" Wilson?! He's in the car nearish the end.
Yes, he was mentioned in earlier posts. Read.

I will say this, the esthetic is pretty dull and uninventive.
No, it's not. It's just B&W.

I just don't understand hte point in all these celebrities. I never would have pictured johnny as a name dropper like that.
True.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟380,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
No, it's not. It's just B&W.
uhmm.... no trust me...I know it's black and white. I just didn't see any vibrancy (which is EASY to have in B&W) I didn't think enjoy many of the shots or the framing.
The only thing I could of enjoyed was flashing through all the eyes at the end of the video.

It just seemed TO ME to be an uninspired video with vERY few moments (which is basically the exact opposite of a cash song).

Upvote 0

antiarte

Jan 18, 2005
communist russia
✟3,812.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
uhmm.... no trust me...I know it's black and white. I just didn't see any vibrancy (which is EASY to have in B&W) I didn't think enjoy many of the shots or the framing.
The only thing I could of enjoyed was flashing through all the eyes at the end of the video.

It just seemed TO ME to be an uninspired video with vERY few moments (which is basically the exact opposite of a cash song).
It's just a music video. They're hardly art, imo.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟380,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It's just a music video. They're hardly art, imo.
To an extent that's true. But that doesn't mean that it should be subpar. There have been some great songs that were even MORE appreciated because of their video; two that come to mind are "Everybody Hurts" REM and [I don't remember the real name...sorry] "You do it to yourself" Radiohead]

It doesn't have to be ART, but I think it has to have SOMEthing other than the song...I didn't see it in the JC video that's all.

Upvote 0