Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Not that any of this nitpicking over what euphemism Donald used has anything to do with the issue here - that as a candidate, Donald asked for help from the Russian government.
Asked for help from a foreign country in order to directly help him win the USA presidential election.
And the help he asked for was for them to commit crimes for him. To either steal and release or to release stolen information that have in their possession.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟704,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

YES - that is CNN reporting:

Special counsel John Durham concluded that the FBI should never have launched a full investigation into connections between Donald Trump’s campaign and Russia during the 2016 election, according to a report compiled over three years by the Trump-administration appointee and released on Monday.​
Durham’s 300-plus page report also states that the FBI used “raw, unanalyzed, and uncorroborated intelligence,” to launch the “Crossfire Hurricane” investigation into Trump and Russia but used a different standard when weighing concerns about alleged election interference regarding Hillary Clinton’s campaign.​
“Indeed, based on the evidence gathered in the multiple exhaustive and costly federal investigations of these matters, including the instant investigation, neither U.S. law enforcement nor the Intelligence Community appears to have possessed any actual evidence of collusion in their holdings at the commencement of the Crossfire Hurricane investigation,” Durham said in his report.
Just a reminder what the thread topic is.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,541.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Just a reminder what the thread topic is.
Yep, the past few posts have been discussing the publicly available evidence that runs counter to the bolded red quote from Durham's report.
And the obvious question - if the guy wasn't even aware of a candidate asking a foreign government to help him win an election in a press conference, how much investigating did his investigation actually do? Is the report based on facts, or is it just more right wing mythology targeting low-information voters?

• Optimistic
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟302,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Is the report based on facts, or is it just more right wing mythology targeting low-information voters?

From my reading of the report and various analyses of it, it is a selective discourse on facts that props up and maintains the extant right-wing mythology to target low-information voters and feed the propagation of disinformation about 2016.

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟438,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I trust that you understood what I meant, and this is sarcasm.

I honestly didn't get the sarcasm at the time. Tone doesn't always come across in digital text. I see it now though...bravo.

I explain myself because I want to be understood.

This is a very normal thing.

And you don't seem to be following the logic of my reasoning because your responses are irrelevant to the point. The point being that nobody in the general public knew it was Russia until the forensics were published by crowd strike on June 14.

You're correct in that I don't understand what your point is. There's plenty of media sources floating all sorts of ideas regarding collusion between Trump and Russia in the months prior to June 2016.

Okay, but the discourse implies you were saying that Papadopoulos could have heard it from Assange or Hillary.

Yeah...he was found guilty of lying to the FBI, but when I last looked into the case, it was sealed and it didn't explain what he was lying about. It's worth noting he wasn't charged with any sort of crime that involved coordinating with Russia.

This is why I said you don't seem to be following my reasoning because speculating about it doesn't factor into my reasoning, since it only matters what Papadopoulos says he learned of and believed to be true in May, before anybody knew it was the Russians.

Which is? Has the case been unsealed and made open to the public?

Note that the documents the Australian's presented in late July didn't say where Papadopoulos heard it from, so there's no reason to speculate.

Documents? You say "documents" as if the Australians provided anything other than allegations. It was after the emails were made public that an Australian diplomat had contacted the FBI and related information that he claimed Papadopoulos gave him months earlier regarding Russias. He said, and I quote....

Downer told The Australian in a 28 April 2018 interview that "nothing [Papadopoulos] said in their meeting indicated Trump himself had been conspiring with the Russians to collect information on Hillary Clinton".

Now...if the case has been unsealed and the information regarding whatever Papadopoulos lied about it is available....feel free to point it out.

The presidential candidates always get their briefings after the National conventions, but this was an unprecedented scale of events.

Presidential candidates would have to be nominated first....otherwise they would be nominees getting defensive briefings.

Indeed, it is a problem when an adversary is covertly influencing the outcome of an election,

There's no evidence that Russia influenced the election. Also, posting factual information online about a candidate is better known as reporting.

and again this is on a scale that is unprecedented. The important thing to note is that the FBI's deliberation is focused upon how to counter Russia.

I wouldn't say it's unprecedented anymore. When it comes to spreading disinformation on a mass scale...the Democratic Party holds the record for its work in 2020.

WikiLeaks having documents in March does not address whether it's Russia that stole the documents.

By documents do you mean "emails"?

Certainly, the Hillary campaign didn't know until crowd strike made a forensics determination. If you actually think Trump knew it was Russia in March, then you are admitting you think he lied to America.

I'm saying there's an endless number of ways and reasons why Trump would have suspected the Russians.

Again, that was the narrative propagated by the left for most of 2016.

Glad to see you on record acknowledging that. Because yes there was evidence in July that Russia was interfering in the election, which is a crime.

Yeah...if you want to go into the incident where they staged opposing protests in the same location I'd enjoy talking about it.

I don't recall ever claiming Russia hadn't broken any laws.

Documented means the Australians had documented their accounts contemporaneously. Verified pertains to what Papadopoulos heard in May, that Russia was going to criminally interfere, and the verification is that the crime was happening at the time the FBI received the documents from the Australians. And I agree it's not evidence that Trump was involved, I'm only saying it was evidence that Papadopoulos heard in May that Russia was going to interfere in the election to hurt Hillary.

Then you're still struggling with the difference between allegations and evidence.

I don't understand why you would ask this. Because you should know what the predicate for the investigation was, and the predicate states what was said, and moreover Papadopoulos confirmed what the predicate said in his testimony to Mueller.

Did he? He eventually said what he had heard from Misfud....something that the FBI had sent agents undercover to confirm but couldn't. I'd be more confident in the "confession" if it wasn't made under duress.

Don junior and Manafort knew because they met with the Russian representatives. Don junior even stated publicly that they offered dirt on Hillary. I stated that the email shows the Trump campaign knew Russia was helping them in early June of 2016 and it clearly does.

Lol what part of the email shows that?

I'm referring to Don junior and all who read the email, how email is offering information that would incriminate Hillary, and that it's part of the Russian government's support in favor of Trump.

Good morning
Emin just called and asked me to contact you with something very interesting. The Crown prosecutor of Russia met with his father Aras this morning and in their meeting offered to provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia and would be very useful to your father.
This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government's support for Mr. Trump - helped along by Aras and Emin.

This email above clearly indicates that Russia wants to help the Trump campaign.

The email shows a phone call occurred and an offer was made. It doesn't say "we accepted their offer" or "we took their help".

That would be a more similar situation to what the Hillary campaign did....when she paid for information on Trump from foreign actors. Do we have any evidence that Trump paid for information about Hillary and then used it as a pretext to accuse Hillary of working with a foreign nation to win the election?

This is what I said: "The evidence shows that Trump would not admit Russia interfered".

You have an email showing that Russia offered to interfere. That's not the same as interference.

Trump obviously knew the actions taken by Russia in his own reactionary statement is referencing the theft of documents from the DNC server and disseminating them online, since he's denying that it was Russia.

No...he doesn't. You're assuming a lot based on an offer to meet and exchange information that never occurred.

Post #120

Speculation is presented as a hypothetical. If the News media slandered Trump, he could sue them. But that is irrelevant to my point which is that he started the Russia hoax by claiming the Democrats made up the story that Russia infiltrated the DNC.

I'm talking about the email from Russia offering official documents that they claimed would incriminate Hillary, and the subsequent meeting with Russian representatives. I didn't say it was incriminating, I said the email about offering dirt on Hillary showed that the Trump campaign knew that Russia wanted to hurt Hillary and help them.

All Trump had to do is state publicly that his campaign had no ties or communications with Russians and the Russians would have the kompromat to threaten revealing that he was not being truthful to the American public.

In other words...you don't believe Russians when they claim to have dirt on your candidate...but when they have dirt on the candidate for the other party?

Suddenly it's not disinformation anymore and they're super reliable.

I don't see how any of this is relevant to how Trump started the Russian hoax. All I saw in the media was the logical progression of hypotheticals that begin with wondering why the Russians would hack the DNC.

I saw the media suggesting that Trump was working for Putin in WaPo in May....but I did only search WaPo and only went as far back as May. It's a little troublesome to look back at the media in 2016 and see how they weren't only willing to stump for Hillary but also prop up this false narrative about Trump and Putin that led to years of investigation and a lot of wasted time and money. Knowing what I know now about their collaboration to get Biden elected and their willingness to spread disinformation by working with the former intelligence officials who signed a letter....it doesn't seem like they had any integrity even in 2016.

The article you provide doesn't show anyone blaming Trump. It is accusing Russia of wanting to help Trump win.

"Why would Russian President Vladimir Putin want to help Donald Trump win the White House? That's the accusation from Democrats this week..."

Right.

Every official report contradicts Trump's claim that it was a hoax invented by the Democrats.

Feb. 16, 2017 Trump tweet:
The Democrats had to come up with a story as to why they lost the election, and so badly (306), so they made up a story - RUSSIA. Fake news!

To be precise, Trump said The Democrats had to come up with a story as to why they lost the election, and so badly (306), so they made up a story - RUSSIA. Fake news!

What I'm saying is, since the "story" was reported by the Democrats in June 2016, before the election had even taken place and no one had yet lost, it could not possibly qualify as being invented as an excuse for losing.

The claims of "Russian disinformation" being a major factor in the election became part of the Democratic Party effort to censor social media like Twitter and Facebook and ultimately use them against Republicans.

Yes, that's right. Russia was indicted for the criminal activity of election interference, wherefore Trump is wrong that it was a made-up story by the Democrats.

Ok...Russia is certainly guilty of hacking and other crimes.

That doesn't make them the reason why the Democrats lost.

I think that as a candidate for President, Trump should have at least taken seriously the published forensics reporting Russia as the orchestrator of the crime of interfering in the election rather than being obtuse and dismissing it out of hand.

Sure...you would have liked it if he validated the idea of Russia interfering in an election to help him win....while he was running for office. Hey, I would have liked it if Hillary admitted she rigged the nomination when she was trying to get nominated...but I understand why that didn't happen.

And I think as President he should have trusted the U.S. Intelligence community over Putin.

Are we talking about the same intelligence community that thought Hunter's laptop was Russian disinformation?

The first thing Trump wanted from Zelensky was to look into crowd strike and the server of the DNC.

I'm pretty sure he wanted an investigation into Burisma and Biden.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟438,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
From my reading of the report and various analyses of it, it is a selective discourse on facts that props up and maintains the extant right-wing mythology to target low-information voters and feed the propagation of disinformation about 2016.

Low information voters lol...that's a term that needs resurrected, and quickly.

Anyone who believed that Hunter's laptop was an attempt at Russian disinformation = low information voter.

I'm going to guess from this ham fisted attempt discredit the report that you didn't watch any of the FBI testimony responding to the report.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟204,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're correct in that I don't understand what your point is. There's plenty of media sources floating all sorts of ideas regarding collusion between Trump and Russia in the months prior to June 2016.
The point is simple. The forensics by crowd strike were published on June 14, 2016. Therefore, the general public was unaware it was Russia behind the stealing of documents from the DNC server and releasing them online before that date. I'm not addressing any ideas of collusion floating around. I'm just stating that fact and building all my reasoning upon that fact.
Yeah...he was found guilty of lying to the FBI, but when I last looked into the case, it was sealed and it didn't explain what he was lying about. It's worth noting he wasn't charged with any sort of crime that involved coordinating with Russia.
Papadopoulos is only relevant as pertains to the predicate (the documentation from the Australians) for opening the Crossfire hurricane investigation. It doesn't matter what Papadopoulos was charged with since it's not relevant to the opening of crossfire Hurricane.
Which is? Has the case been unsealed and made open to the public?
Again, it doesn't matter what Papadopoulos was charged with since the predicate for the investigation is the documentation from the Australians which gives an account of what they heard Papadopoulos say. They heard him convey that Russia had Hillary emails and Russia was going to release them anonymously to Hurt Hillary.

The significance of the documents is that they are contemporaneous accounts of what the diplomats heard Papadopoulos tell them in early May and documented BEFORE Crowd Strike had published their forensics identifying Russia as being behind the attack on the DNC.
Documents? You say "documents" as if the Australians provided anything other than allegations.
The documents only show that in early May 2016 Papadopoulos said that he had heard that Russia had Hillary emails and was going to release them online to hurt Hillary's campaign. I don't see those documents as an allegation of a crime against Papadopoulos.
It was after the emails were made public that an Australian diplomat had contacted the FBI and related information that he claimed Papadopoulos gave him months earlier regarding Russias.
Yes, I know, but the only relative issue in regard to the predicate for opening crossfire hurricane is what Papadopoulos had heard in late April, 2016, Which is BEFORE June 14, 2016. The Documentation of the Australian diplomats show Papadopoulos had heard about Russia interfering to hurt Hillary before forensics showing it was Russia behind the attack on the DNC.
He said, and I quote....

Downer told The Australian in a 28 April 2018 interview that "nothing [Papadopoulos] said in their meeting indicated Trump himself had been conspiring with the Russians to collect information on Hillary Clinton".

Now...if the case has been unsealed and the information regarding whatever Papadopoulos lied about it is available....feel free to point it out.
For the purpose of understanding the reason crossfire hurricane was opened it's irrelevant to me what Papadopoulos lied about. I know that for one thing he lied about the date he heard from Mifsud, but as I said it's irrelevant. I already know the predicate doesn't articulate that Trump is involved. We can read and see it for ourselves:

"Paragraph Five" was the name given to the raw information provided by the Australian government and included in a May 16, 2016 cable that documented the diplomats' encounters with Papadopoulos. 213 Paragraph Five is an abstract from the cable and was quoted verbatim in the Crossfire Hurricane Opening EC, stating in its entirety that: Mr[.] Papadopoulos was, unsurprisingly, confident that Mr[.] Trump could win the election. He commented that the Clintons had "a lot of baggage" and suggested the Trump team had plenty of material to use in its campaign. He also suggested the Trump team had received some kind of suggestion from Russia that it could assist this process with the anonymous release of information during the campaign that would be damaging to Mrs[.] Clinton (and President Obama). It was unclear whether he or the Russians were referring to material acquirnd publicly of [sic] through other means. It was also unclear how Mr[.] Trump's team reacted to the offer. We note the Trump team's reaction could, in the end, have little bearing of [sic] what Russia decides to do, with or without Mr[.] Trump's cooperation.

Presidential candidates would have to be nominated first....otherwise they would be nominees getting defensive briefings.
Exactly.
There's no evidence that Russia influenced the election. Also, posting factual information online about a candidate is better known as reporting.
This is irrelevant to the predicate for the opening of crossfire hurricane. All that matters is that there was clear evidence that Russia was interfering in the election.
I wouldn't say it's unprecedented anymore. When it comes to spreading disinformation on a mass scale...the Democratic Party holds the record for its work in 2020.
This is irrelevant to the predicate for the opening of crossfire hurricane.
By documents do you mean "emails"?
I mean whatever Russia was releasing online which would include any emails.
I'm saying there's an endless number of ways and reasons why Trump would have suspected the Russians.

Again, that was the narrative propagated by the left for most of 2016.
The fact remains that Trump was denying that the Russians were behind the attack on the DNC from when it was announced and even over 3 years later.
Yeah...if you want to go into the incident where they staged opposing protests in the same location I'd enjoy talking about it.

I don't recall ever claiming Russia hadn't broken any laws.
If you believed that the attack on the DNC and the release of stolen documents was not the Russians interfering, and that it was a hoax invented by the Democrats as Trump claimed, then you were claiming Russia hadn't broken any laws.
Then you're still struggling with the difference between allegations and evidence.
Not at all. I said the documents from the Australian diplomats was evidence that Papadopoulos heard in May that Russia was going to interfere in the election to hurt Hillary. I don't see that as an allegation of a crime. I provided the actual predicate (paragraph 15) above, you show me if you see an allegation.
Did he? He eventually said what he had heard from Misfud....something that the FBI had sent agents undercover to confirm but couldn't. I'd be more confident in the "confession" if it wasn't made under duress.
Confession? Made under duress? That sounds like you're projecting. I grant you that Mifsud did not provide anything as far as I'm aware. But that doesn't mean Papadopoulos was forced to say anything.
Lol what part of the email shows that?
I've showed you in bold and underscored it.
The email shows a phone call occurred and an offer was made. It doesn't say "we accepted their offer" or "we took their help".
I didn't say they accepted their offer or took their help at the meeting. I'm saying the email shows the Trump campaign is aware that Russia was offering to help them and hurt Hillary in early June of 2016.

By the way Don junior said, "if it's what you say I love it especially later in the summer", but that's irrelevant to my point.
That would be a more similar situation to what the Hillary campaign did....when she paid for information on Trump from foreign actors. Do we have any evidence that Trump paid for information about Hillary and then used it as a pretext to accuse Hillary of working with a foreign nation to win the election?
Like I said the only relevance is that the Trump campaign is aware that Russia wants to help them and hurt Hillary in early June of 2016.
You have an email showing that Russia offered to interfere. That's not the same as interference.
That is my point, the campaign is aware that it is RUSSIA that wants to interfere to help them and hurt Hillary.
No...he doesn't. You're assuming a lot based on an offer to meet and exchange information that never occurred.
Respectfully I'm not assuming anything, I'm just stating the facts.

Here's the reaction from Trump reported by Fox News after the Democrats reveal the crowd strike forensics determining that it's Russia. And we can see Trump knows that the crowd strike report is referencing the attack on the DNC server.

June 17 2016 Fox news reports:

First we were told that a Russian hacker had broken into the Democratic National Committee’s computers and gotten hold of its oppo file on Donald Trump.

Trump, for his part, isn’t buying the DNC explanation that this is the work of some nefarious outside hacker. “Much of it is false and/or entirely inaccurate,” he says in a statement. “We believe it was the DNC that did the ‘hacking’ as a way to distract from the many issues facing their deeply flawed candidate and failed party leader. Too bad the DNC doesn’t hack Crooked Hillary’s 33,000 missing emails.”

You're assuming a lot based on an offer to meet and exchange information that never occurred.
The above observation where Trump denies that Russia is behind the "hacking" of the DNC is not based on any offer to meet and exchange information. I suspect there's a misunderstanding as to what I'm saying.
In other words...you don't believe Russians when they claim to have dirt on your candidate...but when they have dirt on the candidate for the other party?

Suddenly it's not disinformation anymore and they're super reliable.
I don't see how this response has any relation to what it is in response to.
Why would Russia want Trump is a legitimate question. I think it's clear Putin wanted sanctions for invading Crimea to be removed.
Ok...Russia is certainly guilty of hacking and other crimes.

That doesn't make them the reason why the Democrats lost.
I don't care to speculate about things that cannot be proven. I can only surmise it hurt Hillary more than helped Hillary.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟438,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The point is simple. The forensics by crowd strike were published on June 14, 2016. Therefore, the general public was unaware it was Russia behind the stealing of documents from the DNC server and releasing them online before that date. I'm not addressing any ideas of collusion floating around. I'm just stating that fact and building all my reasoning upon that fact.

Well there's your problem.

Plenty of media sources claiming expert analysis and inside information were claiming it was Russia.

Your assertions about whatever the general public was "aware" of don't mean anything.

Papadopoulos is only relevant as pertains to the predicate (the documentation from the Australians)

You keep saying "documentation" as if the Australians were recording the conversation with Papadopoulos. There's no recording...and therefore, no documentation. That's an allegation by a politically biased foreign actor.

for opening the Crossfire hurricane investigation. It doesn't matter what Papadopoulos was charged with since it's not relevant to the opening of crossfire Hurricane.

Of course it matters. They charged him with lying to the FBI. That's not conspiring with Russian representatives.

Again, it doesn't matter what Papadopoulos was charged with since the predicate for the investigation is the documentation

Allegation. No documentation was provided by the Australians.

from the Australians which gives an account of what they heard Papadopoulos say. They heard him convey that Russia had Hillary emails and Russia was going to release them anonymously to Hurt Hillary.

Right....something they came forward with, after Russians released Hillary's emails.

The significance of the documents

No documents. Allegations.

If I write a fictional story on paper...that doesn't make it true, even if I claim it is.

is that they are contemporaneous accounts of what the diplomats heard Papadopoulos tell them in early May and documented BEFORE Crowd Strike had published their forensics identifying Russia as being behind the attack on the DNC.

This would have been meaningful if they shared it BEFORE it happened. They didn't though...so it's just an allegation.

The documents

Allegations.

only show

Allege.

that in early May 2016 Papadopoulos said that he had heard that Russia had Hillary emails and was going to release them online to hurt Hillary's campaign. I don't see those documents as an allegation of a crime against Papadopoulos.

Nor do I....those are allegations though...not documentation. Even worse, if they don't allege a crime, why did the FBI move to a full criminal investigation? We would call that a witch hunt.

Yes, I know, but the only relative issue in regard to the predicate for opening crossfire hurricane is what Papadopoulos had heard in late April, 2016, Which is BEFORE June 14, 2016.

Allegedly.

The Documentation

Allegation.

of the Australian diplomats show

They were running with the same narrative the Hillary campaign ran with.

For the purpose of understanding the reason crossfire hurricane was opened it's irrelevant to me what Papadopoulos lied about.

Ok.

I know that for one thing he lied about the date he heard from Mifsud, but as I said it's irrelevant. I already know the predicate doesn't articulate that Trump is involved. We can read and see it for ourselves:

"Paragraph Five" was the name given to the raw information provided by the Australian government and included in a May 16, 2016 cable that documented the diplomats' encounters with Papadopoulos. 213 Paragraph Five is an abstract from the cable and was quoted verbatim in the Crossfire Hurricane Opening EC, stating in its entirety that: Mr[.] Papadopoulos was, unsurprisingly, confident that Mr[.] Trump could win the election. He commented that the Clintons had "a lot of baggage" and suggested the Trump team had plenty of material to use in its campaign. He also suggested the Trump team had received some kind of suggestion from Russia that it could assist this process with the anonymous release of information during the campaign that would be damaging to Mrs[.] Clinton (and President Obama). It was unclear whether he or the Russians were referring to material acquirnd publicly of [sic] through other means. It was also unclear how Mr[.] Trump's team reacted to the offer. We note the Trump team's reaction could, in the end, have little bearing of [sic] what Russia decides to do, with or without Mr[.] Trump's cooperation.

Exactly.

Ok.

This is irrelevant to the predicate for the opening of crossfire hurricane. All that matters is that there was clear evidence that Russia was interfering in the election.

There wasn't evidence that Russia was involving Trump or that they were in cahoots. That's what you would need to investigate his campaign.

This is irrelevant to the predicate for the opening of crossfire hurricane.

I mean whatever Russia was releasing online which would include any emails.

The fact remains that Trump was denying that the Russians were behind the attack on the DNC from when it was announced and even over 3 years later.

It's entirely possible he's correct. The Russians were claiming to have information about Hillary cooking up the email release to blame Russia and smear Trump. I don't know if that was misinformation or if they had something. I'm sure you remember this...

Personally, I'm glad that this cheap attempt by an intelligence agency was denounced and discredited by all sides...even though no one doubts the information was legitimate. It's just Russians speculating about the 2016 campaign. Odd then....that this same community was completely silent when multiple former coworkers all decided to spread disinformation for the Biden campaign.

If you believed that the attack on the DNC and the release of stolen documents was not the Russians interfering,

I think it probably was....did those indictments result in any confessions?

and that it was a hoax invented by the Democrats as Trump claimed,

It's certainly a possibility. Turns out our intelligence community isn't so good at keeping secrets or informing thr public about facts.

then you were claiming Russia hadn't broken any laws.

I'm definitely not claiming that.

Not at all. I said the documents

Allegations.

from the Australian diplomats was evidence

It's not evidence....and frankly, I'm inclined to believe that you know it.

You've called the Australian allegations "documentation" so many times it looks like a deliberate and not so subtle attempt to reframe the legitimacy of the allegations.

The FBI knew this was uncorroborated. They knew it was just allegation.

That's why they ran multiple attempts to elicit a similar disclosure from Papadopoulos to undercover agents. He didn't. Instead, he vehemently denied Russian involvement and said that it was all lies from the Hillary campaign. That's a rather odd flip flop.

I've showed you in bold and underscored it.

I'll go back and look.

I didn't say they accepted their offer or took their help at the meeting. I'm saying the email shows the Trump campaign is aware that Russia was offering to help them and hurt Hillary in early June of 2016.

And?

By the way Don junior said, "if it's what you say I love it especially later in the summer", but that's irrelevant to my point.

You seem to be lacking a point.

Like I said the only relevance is that the Trump campaign is aware that Russia wants to help them and hurt Hillary in early June of 2016.

Maybe. Maybe they thought the Russians were trying to play them and help Hillary. Who knows.

That is my point, the campaign is aware that it is RUSSIA that wants to interfere to help them and hurt Hillary.

Or they thought it was a trap by the FBI.

Respectfully I'm not assuming anything, I'm just stating the facts.

You're assuming a lot.

Here's the reaction from Trump reported by Fox News after the Democrats reveal the crowd strike forensics determining that it's Russia. And we can see Trump knows that the crowd strike report is referencing the attack on the DNC server.

June 17 2016 Fox news reports:

First we were told that a Russian hacker had broken into the Democratic National Committee’s computers and gotten hold of its oppo file on Donald Trump.

Trump, for his part, isn’t buying the DNC explanation that this is the work of some nefarious outside hacker. “Much of it is false and/or entirely inaccurate,” he says in a statement. “We believe it was the DNC that did the ‘hacking’ as a way to distract from the many issues facing their deeply flawed candidate and failed party leader. Too bad the DNC doesn’t hack Crooked Hillary’s 33,000 missing emails.”

See the declassified intelligence I linked above.

The above observation where Trump denies that Russia is behind the "hacking" of the DNC is not based on any offer to meet and exchange information. I suspect there's a misunderstanding as to what I'm saying.

See the declassified intelligence I linked above.

I don't see how this response has any relation to what it is in response to.

Where do you think that the Steele Dossier came from? The Moscow banking lies? Either Steele made it up wholesale or it came from his Russian source as he claimed.

Why would Russia want Trump is a legitimate question. I think it's clear Putin wanted sanctions for invading Crimea to be removed.

Possibly. Didn't happen though.

I don't care to speculate about things that cannot be proven. I can only surmise it hurt Hillary more than helped Hillary.

Hillary hurt Hillary more than she helped Hillary.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟204,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well there's your problem.

Plenty of media sources claiming expert analysis and inside information were claiming it was Russia.

Your assertions about whatever the general public was "aware" of don't mean anything.
Facts are not assertions. Apparently, you assume I'm making assertions. As a means of establishing a working timeline of the known events, I'm only interested in when the general public was factually made aware of the forensics report and not the various speculations that were occurring prior to that.

I only want to focus on the facts, because all the semantics will hinge on whether or not Russia in fact infiltrated the DNC and disseminated that information to hurt Hillary and help Trump. There's the motive and the criminal act that identify the true connotations of the terms and it's not subject to speculation or opinion.
You keep saying "documentation" as if the Australians were recording the conversation with Papadopoulos. There's no recording...and therefore, no documentation. That's an allegation by a politically biased foreign actor.
According to the facts as presented in all official reports, the statement above that it's an allegation by a politically biased foreign actor, must itself be based on bias and not objective reality. Any reasoning based on falsehood ends in a contradiction, so allow me to point out the facts here.

The Australians are repeating to the best of their recollection what they purport to have heard Papadopoulos say, so under that description they are providing "raw information", and therefore are not making "allegations". In view of the semantics here, the only "allegation" I see would be against Russia, and it would be coming from Papadopoulos who conveys to the Australians that the Russians have information to release on Clinton that would hurt her and help Trump. Although it's certain Papadopoulos didn't intend to accuse the Russians of interfering, that's essentially what he's suggesting would happen if they did release information so as to damage the Hillary campaign.

doc·u·ment
noun

a piece of written, printed, or electronic matter that provides information or evidence or that serves as an official record.

The Australians made a record of their encounter with Papadopoulos which qualifies as contemporaneous documentation of an event. It therefore goes on the timeline of "events". The Durham report itself uses that description as well, describing the Australian accounts of their encounters with Papadopoulos as "documented". See for yourself.

The Durham report: "Paragraph Five" was the name given to the raw information provided by the Australian government and included in a May 16, 2016 cable that documented the diplomats' encounters with Papadopoulos.

al·le·ga·tion
noun
  1. a claim or assertion that someone has done something illegal or wrong, typically one made without proof.
See above, that by definition an allegation has to be about (1) something illegal or wrong that is alleged to have (2) happened (past tense).

If the Durham report is predisposed to bias, we can expect the semantics to end in contradictions if and when it characterizes the Australians as making allegations that the Trump campaign was coordinating with the Russians. But that's not what paragraph 5 says, nor how it should be perceived by the FBI. Paragraph 5 in reality declares they don't know if there is any collaboration, only that one of them surmised that Russia approached Papadopoulos in some way revealing an intention to assist the Trump campaign.

Paragraph 5:
"He also suggested the Trump team had received some kind of suggestion from Russia that it could assist this process with the anonymous release of information during the campaign that would be damaging to Mrs[.] Clinton (and President Obama). It was unclear whether he or the Russians were referring to material acquired publicly of [sic] through other means. It was also unclear how Mr[.] Trump's team reacted to the offer".

There can be no allegation above that the Trump team had conspired (2) (past tense) with the Russians because it literally states it was unclear how Trump's team reacted. There can be no allegation that the Trump team did (1) something illegal or wrong because Papadopoulos knew of assistance from Russia. The only possible allegation I see of any wrongdoing is against Russia in the form of allegedly trying to compromise one or more people in the Trump campaign.

And furthermore, I note that the FBI saw it that way also as this was their given purpose for the investigation: "to determine whether individual(s) associated with the Trump campaign [were] witting of and/or coordinating activities with the Government of Russia. "

Of course it matters. They charged him with lying to the FBI. That's not conspiring with Russian representatives.
As I have proven above, the facts show there was no allegation of conspiring with Russian representatives in Paragraph 5.

The fact that Papadopoulos lied during the FBI investigation is irrelevant to the reason for opening the crossfire hurricane investigation. The FBI opened the counterintelligence operation because they didn't know if anyone was conspiring or being compromised. It even indicates this in both the Horowitz and Durham reports. And I quote, "The FBI opened Crossfire Hurricane as a full counterintelligence investigation "to determine whether individual(s) associated with the Trump campaign [were] witting of and/or coordinating activities with the Government of Russia. "

As for the results of the investigation, you should look at the Mueller report and the lies of Papadopoulos that Mueller had proven to be fabricated intentionally. When I read about them, they point to the things he was hiding.
Allegation. No documentation was provided by the Australians.
See above, the facts show that there was no allegation made by the Australians, they just provided raw information in the form of documented accounts. When we believe in a falsehood, it manifests emotions that are not based in reality, which is why so many people are demented.
No documents. Allegations.

If I write a fictional story on paper...that doesn't make it true, even if I claim it is.
Again, it's not an allegation, it's contemporaneous evidence of an encounter and an abstract account of what occurred during that encounter.

Think of this. If you wrote down (documented) an account that you claimed to be true, and later it was found out to not be true but intentionally fabricated, it would then be documentation that you were a liar, but it's still documentation and evidence of a lie. Anyway, that is not the case here, which is why there are no charges of lying to the FBI being handed down by Durham to the Australians. We even have the testimony of Papadopoulos himself in the Mueller report corroborating the Australian account:

As Papadopoulos later stated to the FBI, Mifsud said that the “dirt” was in the form of “emails of Clinton,” and that they “have thousands of emails.”464 On May 6, 2016, 10 days after that meeting with Mifsud, Papadopoulos suggested to a representative of a foreign government that the Trump Campaign had received indications from the Russian government that it could assist the Campaign through the anonymous release of information that would be damaging to Hillary Clinton.
This would have been meaningful if they shared it BEFORE it happened. They didn't though...so it's just an allegation.
This is a fruitless avenue of discussion since it didn't happen that way in reality.

childeye 2 said:
I don't see those documents as an allegation of a crime against Papadopoulos.
Nor do I....those are allegations though...not documentation. Even worse, if they don't allege a crime, why did the FBI move to a full criminal investigation? We would call that a witch hunt.

Please note above that you're on record seemingly claiming two contradictory claims. You claimed, "Nor do I", meaning (Nor do I see any allegation against Papadopoulos), then you definitively claim the contrary, "those are allegations though". Allegations made by who, and against who?

This is why I told you that any reasoning based on a falsehood ends in a contradiction. The falsehood is in your own bias as I pointed out earlier in this post: "the statement above, that it's an allegation by a politically biased foreign actor, is itself based on bias and not the facts".

"Even worse, if they don't allege a crime, why did the FBI move to a full criminal investigation? We would call that a witch hunt".

The cynicism as seen above is self-fulfilling because when finding yourself in an apparent contradiction you then double down claiming a witch hunt, regardless of whether there was an allegation or there wasn't. You seem to forget that crossfire hurricane was a counterintelligence investigation that opened in the midst of a criminal investigation that was already underway prior to crossfire hurricane.

"Even worse, if they don't allege a crime, why did the FBI move to a full criminal investigation? We would call that a witch hunt".

Who is we? Please Don't count me in with the demented, because it is well established in press releases and by every official report on Russian interference, including the Durham report, that prior to crossfire hurricane, the FBI was already in the criminal investigation into Russian "hacking" and "dissemination" of the DNC communications, which is the actual crime that was already underway when the Australians provided paragraph 5.

Whereas crossfire hurricane was opened as a counter-intelligence operation "to determine whether individual(s) associated with the Trump campaign [were] witting of and/or coordinating activities with the Government of Russia ", (which was opened as a SIM).

They were running with the same narrative the Hillary campaign ran with.
This is just more bias and more dementing. The Australian documentation about Russia offering the Trump campaign assistance against the Hillary campaign was recorded in May 2016 on the timeline, and the Hillary campaign reported publicly of the Russian interference on June 14 of the timeline. The reality is that the Hillary campaign began saying over a month later, the same narrative Papadopoulos had been saying over a month earlier.
There wasn't evidence that Russia was involving Trump or that they were in cahoots. That's what you would need to investigate his campaign.
The investigation wasn't into Trump so that part of your statement is wrong. However, the information from the Australians presented did imply that Papadopoulos had knowledge in early May about possible Russian interference in a free and fair election. It was a unanimous decision, with a need to know as a matter of national security, and even the Durham report says they were obligated to investigate.
It's entirely possible he's correct. The Russians were claiming to have information about Hillary cooking up the email release to blame Russia and smear Trump. I don't know if that was misinformation or if they had something. I'm sure you remember this...

It's absurd to suggest that the DNC would decide to hack their own server and release information anonymously that would hurt their own candidate, as "a distraction from the issues facing their flawed candidate and failed party leader".

As per the Russian allegation against Hillary, this is what you are referring to:
In late July 2016, U.S. intelligence agencies obtained insight into Russian intelligence analysis alleging that U.S Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton had approved a campaign plan to stir up a scandal against U.S. Presidential candidate Donald Trump by tying him to Putin and the Russians' hacking of the Democratic National Committee. The IC does not know the accuracy of this allegation or the extent to which the Russian intelligence analysis may reflect exaggeration or fabrication.

Concerning the above, look at these facts:

The Russian intelligence allegation is that Hillary initiated a plan to try and tie Trump with the Russian hacking of the DNC in late July.

Notice that the allegation does not claim the DNC hacked the DNC, nor does it deny that Russia hacked the DNC, so it therefore wouldn't corroborate Donald Trump's absurd DNC hacked itself claim, and his rejection that Russia was behind the cyber intrusion of the DNC server.

Moreover, the Russian allegation places Hillary Clinton's approval of this plan as happening in late July, 2016, when in fact the FBI identified the spear phishing campaign as happening In March and May 2016. So, Russia's alleged Hillary plan would not make Trump's DNC hacked itself statement a possibility.

Instead, the Russian allegation looks more like an attempt to give an appearance of veracity to what Don Junior said to Jake Tapper on CNN July 24, 2016. That's around the time Hillary is alleged by the Russians to have come up with this plan.

JAKE TAPPER: So, I don't know if you were hearing earlier, but Robby Mook, the campaign manager for Secretary of State Hillary Clinton — I asked him about the DNC leak. And he suggested that experts are saying that Russians were behind both the leak — the hacking of the DNC emails and their release. He seemed to be suggesting that this is part of a plot to help Donald Trump and hurt Hillary Clinton. Your response?

Please keep in mind when you read this response to Tapper, that Don junior has already met with Russians at Trump Tower, and already knows that Russia wants to hurt Hillary and help Trump.

TRUMP JR.: Well, it just goes to show you their exact moral compass. I mean, they will say anything to be able to win this. I mean, this is time and time again, lie after lie. You notice he won't say, well, I say this. We hear experts. You know, here's (INAUDIBLE) at home once said that this is what's happening with the Russians. It's disgusting. It's so phony. I watched him bumble through the interview, I was able to hear it on audio a little bit (Did he hear it or watch it?). I mean, I can't think of bigger lies, but that exactly goes to show you what the DNC and what the Clinton camp will do. They will lie and do anything to win. July 24, 2016.

July 26, 2016, Russian intelligence allegation: U.S Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton had approved a campaign plan to stir up a scandal against U.S. Presidential candidate Donald Trump by tying him to Putin and the Russians' hacking of the Democratic National Committee.

I think it probably was....did those indictments result in any confessions?

It's certainly a possibility. Turns out our intelligence community isn't so good at keeping secrets or informing thr public about facts.

I'm definitely not claiming that.
Probably was? Possibly not? Definitely not? Either Russia infiltrated the DNC as crowd strike forensics show, and the FBI has verified, and also every official report has claimed, and also every intelligence agency has claimed, or the DNC "hacked" itself Like Donald said.
That's why they ran multiple attempts to elicit a similar disclosure from Papadopoulos to undercover agents. He didn't. Instead, he vehemently denied Russian involvement and said that it was all lies from the Hillary campaign. That's a rather odd flip flop.
The reason for the investigation was "to determine whether individual(s) associated with the Trump campaign [were] witting of and/or coordinating activities with the Government of Russia. "

Concerning those methods of CHS's and other means, the Durham report states that all the FBI analysts found Papadopoulos' denials of the campaign having knowledge of Wikileaks releases to be fake and rehearsed.

The crossfire hurricane investigation into Russian interference became part of the Special counsel Mueller investigation and ultimately indicted Roger Stone as having a contact with WikiLeaks and being a go between for the campaign and Wikileaks. According to the indictment, in June or July 2016, Stone was informing the Trump campaign about possible Wikileaks release of damaging Clinton documents.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟704,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Capture.JPG

This is the comment that was twisted into the commonly repeated "Trump invited Russia to hack us" propaganda.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
View attachment 332357

This is the comment that was twisted into the commonly repeated "Trump invited Russia to hack us" propaganda.
Actually I think it was the "Russia, if you're listening..." comment he made on live TV that is referenced most of the time. At least from my memory.

“Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing, I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press,” Trump said in a July 27, 2016 news conference.

The DNC servers were hacked the next day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟204,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 332357

No, the Durham report specifically cites, “Russia, if you’re listening" as drawing the attention of the FBI, who at the time were in the midst of a criminal investigation into Russia stealing documents from the DNC and releasing them through WikiLeaks. The tweet you posted was a blatant attempt at clean-up.

Durham report:
Although not referenced in the Opening EC, FBI officials have later pointed to the importance of the Australian information when viewed in conjunction with Russia's likely connections to the Wiki Leaks disclosures and its efforts to interfere with the 2016 U.S. elections. 232 In addition, Trump had also stated in a recently televised campaign speech, "Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,"

Trump also let this slip out, “I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press. Let’s see if that happens.”

Now I wonder what kind of reward Trump thinks Russia would be getting from the American press, unless of course Trump knows Russia wants Hillary to lose and Trump to win.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Say it aint so

Jun 19, 2020
Seattle
✟118,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟704,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually I think it was the "Russia, if you're listening..." comment he made on live TV that is referenced most of the time. At least from my memory.

“Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing, I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press,” Trump said in a July 27, 2016 news conference.

The DNC servers were hacked the next day.
Same message. Not inviting them to hack, but maybe they could find the 30,000 emails Clinton deleted after they were subpoenaed

Regardless, do you really believe the Russians were waiting for permission?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The IbanezerScrooge

Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Same message. Not inviting them to hack, but maybe they could find the 30,000 emails Clinton deleted after they were subpoenaed

Regardless, do you really believe the Russians were waiting for permission?
He absolutely did invite them to hack. They literally did so the very next day. How else would they get the allegedly deleted emails?

It doesn't matter what I believe. We have it on tape, in writing and all over the news.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟704,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He absolutely did invite them to hack. They literally did so the very next day. How else would they get the allegedly deleted emails?
Listen to the words -

"Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,

I hope you can find the emails - is not an invitation to hack. It is a direct dig against Clinton who deleted 30,000 emails after receiving a subpoena to preserve them.

Did you miss that part?

Understand also - he was referencing Hillary's illegal server in her bathroom and not the DNC.

He was throwing a dig against the woman who destroyed subpoena's evidence. Remember this is when the Russia, Russia, Russia began.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Listen to the words -

"Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,

I hope you can find the emails - is not an invitation to hack. It is a direct dig against Clinton who deleted 30,000 emails after receiving a subpoena to preserve them.

Did you miss that part?

Understand also - he was referencing Hillary's illegal server in her bathroom and not the DNC.

He was throwing a dig against the woman who destroyed subpoena's evidence. Remember this is when the Russia, Russia, Russia began.
Yes it is. And they did so. I know you think Trump was being all nuanced and whatnot, but he wasn't as Trump is incapable of nuance. They did exactly what he invited them to do.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟704,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes it is. And they did so. I know you think Trump was being all nuanced and whatnot, but he wasn't as Trump is incapable of nuance. They did exactly what he invited them to do.
No it is not - it is the left and their media lapdogs twisting a snide remark. Remember - the server Trump was referring to was gone - wiped clean by Hillary's team - it DID NOT exist -

A completely different served was hacked.

And if you really think the Russians heard him on TV and said "hey! sounds like a good idea, let's do it!", I have some ocean front property in Kansas I'd like you to buy.

Also remember this was not the first hack

The Democratic National Committee cyber attacks took place in 2015 and 2016,[1] in which two groups of Russian computer hackers infiltrated the Democratic National Committee (DNC) computer network, leading to a data breach. Cybersecurity experts, as well as the U.S. government, determined that the cyberespionage was the work of Russian intelligence agencies.

Forensic evidence analyzed by several cybersecurity firms, CrowdStrike, Fidelis, and Mandiant (or FireEye), strongly indicates that two Russian intelligence agencies separately infiltrated the DNC computer systems. The American cybersecurity firm CrowdStrike, which removed the hacking programs, revealed a history of encounters with both groups and had already named them, calling one of them Cozy Bear and the other Fancy Bear, names which are used in the media.[2][3][4][5][6]

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟144,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
No it is not - it is the left and their media lapdogs twisting a snide remark. Remember - the server Trump was referring to was gone - wiped clean by Hillary's team - it DID NOT exist -

A completely different served was hacked.

And if you really think the Russians heard him on TV and said "hey! sounds like a good idea, let's do it!", I have some ocean front property in Kansas I'd like you to buy.

Also remember this was not the first hack

The Democratic National Committee cyber attacks took place in 2015 and 2016,[1] in which two groups of Russian computer hackers infiltrated the Democratic National Committee (DNC) computer network, leading to a data breach. Cybersecurity experts, as well as the U.S. government, determined that the cyberespionage was the work of Russian intelligence agencies.

Forensic evidence analyzed by several cybersecurity firms, CrowdStrike, Fidelis, and Mandiant (or FireEye), strongly indicates that two Russian intelligence agencies separately infiltrated the DNC computer systems. The American cybersecurity firm CrowdStrike, which removed the hacking programs, revealed a history of encounters with both groups and had already named them, calling one of them Cozy Bear and the other Fancy Bear, names which are used in the media.[2][3][4][5][6]
I seem to recall that an old RNC email server had been hacked too, but those never got made public since that’s not how extortion works.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0