Cheshire
✟27,096.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m a new Christian (39 days) and just read this today.

What is the point of this scripture in your opinion? I notice a reference to Jacob from the OT but I’m unfamiliar with him too.

I don’t under the point of this scripture (John 4:1-26) and what it’s supposed to teach us.

please help. God bless Lenno

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

What is the point of this scripture in your opinion? I notice a reference to Jacob from the OT but I’m unfamiliar with him too.

I don’t under the point of this scripture (John 4:1-26) and what it’s supposed to teach us.

That Jesus is The promised Messiah from the prophecies of The Tanakh (Old Testament) and that to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life. Is accomplished by believing that Jesus is who He said He is, The promised Messiah, Son of God.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Here is a link to quite a few articles on John 4 maybe this will help. Just click on anyone of them to read them or some may be an audio.

Search Results for “John 4” – Grace Evangelical Society

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I notice a reference to Jacob from the OT but I’m unfamiliar with him too.
Jacob is one of God's people who was on this earth before Jesus came. And he had a well, and this woman came to that well in order to get water. She was a woman who had been with a number of different men, plus she was in Samaria which is in the northern part of Israel where in history the Jews had gone against God and even interbred with ones who were not God's chosen people. And so, at the time of Jesus, the Samaritans were treated with contempt by Jews who were from the area around Jerusalem.

But Jesus talked with her and asked her for some water to drink. And she asked him why He a Jew would talk with her . . . possibly because she knew a Jew was supposed to stay clear of any Samaritan. Or . . . maybe . . . she could have been testing Him, about if He might be interested in her. But then Jesus let her know who He really is, plus Jesus said she could have asked Him for the best He has to give and He would have given it to her!

Think about this > Jesus is so great, and she was apparently very busy with immorality. Yet, Jesus was willing to give her His best . . . of living water for eternal life . . . if she asked Him for this.

So, thank You, God, for this! :)

What is the point of this scripture in your opinion?
Jesus is so better than us and so superior, but Jesus is not at all conceited, even willing to give His own good to any of us, no matter how we have been.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You say you are a "new Chrisian" ---and I hope you understand that as being "born again" (as John 3; John 14; Romans 8; etc.). Many say they have decided to be a 'Christain' and then go on with their own reasonings about God, WITHOUT the new birth experience by RECEIVING the Lord Jesus into their heart as Savior and LORD of their life ---walking and talking with with Him daily.
Let me counsel you to take "all the counsel of God"; "rightly dividing the Word of truth" as God tells us. That means to understand the New Testament as our authority for salvation; and the Epistles for Church truth. Some professing Christians follow the Old Testament religion of Israel and miss salvation in the Lord Jesus; and/or scramble Scripture and miss the "high calling of God" in Christ Jesus, and His pathway for us as shown in the Epistles for the universal Church.

I can expand on this in private, if you wish to chat on the Conversation page herein.
-1watchman.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The woman at the well was not only a Samaritan but was not a married woman. She comes to the well in the heat of the day. Normally, women would get the water for the house in the morning and it was also a time to meet, chat, and gossip, like the modern day water cooler in an office. She is an outcast and comes to the well by herself. Jews looked down on the Samaritans as they were fairly small in number. So she is an outcast even in an outcast society.

The Samaritans were semi-Jewish in that they followed their own copy of the Torah and had some competing beliefs with 1st century Judaism. They actually still exist today and number under 1000 in a village in Israel and a section of one of the Israeli cities.

Samaritans - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,089.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think most of us would be familiar with the story parable of the prodigal son.

The Samaritan woman is a type of prodigal daughter, with a reputation for sexual immorality. Yet Christ was willing to announce the message of salvation to her personally.

Christ was also giving the message that salvation wasn't just for the Jews.

John 4:21-24 NIV
21 “Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

it teaches who our true husband is by who he is not ...

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

There is a common theme in all four Gospels where Jesus regularly engages with and interacts with people whom "polite society" didn't respect. For example prostitutes, tax-collectors (who were local Jews enlisted by the local Roman government in Judea to act as their agents to collect taxes from an oppressed and occupied people, and thus were often regarded as collaborators and traitors), lepers (who were frequently forced to live in leper colonies, ghettos where those with leprosy were hidden away from the rest of society. The woman was not a particularly "respectable" woman, she would have probably been viewed as a "harlot" using more contemporary language by many.

Secondly, the woman at the well was a Samaritan. The Samaritans are an ethno-religious group that have their own form of Israelite religion: Samaritanism. Samaritans and Jews, therefore, were in a sense religious cousins--both traced their religion back to Moses, and before Moses back to Jacob, and Isaac, and Abraham, etc. Both Samaritans and Jews claim to be Israelites. The precise origins of the split between the two and all the causes are still not thoroughly understood, with several different competing theories and hypotheses being put forward over the centuries and in modern times. But relevant here is that because of these centuries-old disagreements and antagonism, Jews and Samaritans didn't typically get along very well, with Samaritans frequently viewed as no different than uncircumcised Gentiles, and regarded as such.

The significance of this encounter is one of the very first to recognize that Jesus is the Messiah was a Samaritan woman with infidelity problems. That also is a theme we see throughout Jesus' ministry: It isn't the "good" and "righteous" and "upstanding" people who welcome Jesus, recognize Jesus for who He is, etc--it is the underdogs, the unloved, those mistreated or disadvantaged. In fact, it is the powerful, the "righteous", etc who especially despise Jesus because what Jesus says and does made them very, very uncomfortable and it was a challenge to their very fragile sense of entitlement and authority.

It's made more significant when we understand that throughout the Old Testament, and throughout general messianic expectation and hope among Jews in the first century was that when the Messiah/Christ came, he would bring together all the Israelites from all twelve tribes scattered among the nations and bring them back together before God. As I said, the Samaritans, like Jews, have Israelite origins, though their religions had some very stark differences. One of the chief differences was that according to the Jews God chose the Temple Mount in Jerusalem to be the site of the Temple in which God's glory dwelt; but according to the Samaritans God chose Mt. Gerizim near the city of Shechem and so the Samaritans had their own Samaritan temple on Mt. Gerizim, and their own high priest and priesthood--while the Samaritan temple was destroyed over a century before the birth of Jesus, they continued to practice animal sacrifices at Mt. Gerizim (and still do, even today).

So Jesus says that the day is coming when it does not matter which mountain, for true worshipers of God will worship Him in spirit and in truth.

When Jesus was speaking with His Apostles after He had been raised from the dead, before He had ascended into heaven, He told them to wait in Jerusalem until they received the Holy Spirit, and when they did they would become His witnesses, beginning first in Jerusalem, then the towns and villages of Judea and Samaria, then to all nations and the ends of the earth (Luke 24:44-53, Acts of the Apostles 1:6-11)

In the Acts of the Apostles, the Apostles do just as Jesus said: It began first in Jerusalem, and into the towns and villages of Judea and Samaria. Jews and Samaritans, without distinction--both Israelites, both included in God's unifying and restoring work in Jesus (Acts of the Apostles 8:25)

Of course, as the Acts of the Apostles continue, we learn that not just Israelites, but Gentiles also are called and included.

God is not found at a mountain, or in a temple made of stone. Jesus Christ is Himself the Temple (John 2:19-22), and by our union together with Him as His Church, we too are that Temple, in which the Holy Spirit dwells (1 Corinthians 3:16, Ephesians 2:18-22). As God's people, under Jesus the Messiah, our Lord--whether Jew, Samaritan, or Gentile--we are all united together in Jesus Christ, by the Holy Spirit, in true worship of God as He has given and revealed Himself to us through our Lord Jesus, and the precious and Holy Gospel.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums