John 20:7

Rik Brooks

Non-denominational with strong Baptist leanings.
Site Supporter
Nov 19, 2015
✟67,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My Pastor made this point this Easter weekend and I've searched, trying to find support for it but have been unable.

John 20:7 speaks of a napkin or handkerchief that is carefully folded rather than just jumbled with the rest of the coverings.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible notes that the care with which the facecloth was folded is indicative of not being in a hurry and thus not thieves that took the body. I like that and think it likely.

My Pastor offers another thought. He said that traditionally a Jew, when eating a meal would use the napkin to indicate whether he was done with the meal. If he got up from the table for a moment he would leave the napkin folded but if he was done he would wipe his mouth, beard, hands, whatever, and leave the napkin crumpled. This indicated to the servants that he was done.

The fact that the napkin was folded said that Jesus is not done with this body just yet.

Is that sort of over-reaching or do y'all think that he has a point?

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My Pastor made this point this Easter weekend and I've searched, trying to find support for it but have been unable. John 20:7 speaks of a napkin or handkerchief that is carefully folded rather than just jumbled with the rest of the coverings.
It was not a napkin it was Joh 20:7 G4676 σουδάριον Of Latin origin; a sudarium, for binding the face of a corpse.
It was NOT folded but is was G1794 being swathed σουδάριον to entwine, that is, wind up in: - wrapped in (together)
The same word is used in Mat 27:59 And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, And when Joseph had taken the body,.... Down from the cross, with the assistance of others, or from the hands of those who had orders to deliver it to him: he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth: (m) Juchasin, fol. 54. 2. Vid. Maimon. Hilchot Ebel, c. 4. sect. 2. [GILL]
Wrapped it in a clean linen cloth [CLARKE]
Thayer Definition: σουδάριον 1) to roll up, wrap together

Upvote 0