Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
The CCC doesn't say that the Church interprets scripture and dictates doctrine from what she reads.

Catholic Catechism # 85

"The task of giving an authentic interpretation of the Word of God, whether in its written form or in the form of Tradition, has been entrusted to the living teaching office of the [Catholic] Church alone. Its authority in this matter is exercised in the name of Jesus Christ."47 This means that the task of interpretation has been entrusted to the bishops in communion with the successor of Peter, the Bishop of Rome.

The issue before us is accountability - and the best epistemological approach to providing that. How can the world's two billion Christians determine together if the teachings of a teacher (including the RCC) are correct or not? And also, are our words accountable to God's Word (Sola Scriptura) or is God's Word accountable to the RCC (Sola Ecclesia)?

Upvote 0

racer

Contributor
Aug 5, 2003
Oklahoma
✟24,729.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Racer, you are really out in left field right now. It seems you want us to put you on ignore . . .

I think it's the new medications I'm on . . . . ;)
Who said it did?

Everyone who argues for the authority of "oral tradition."
Are we not a very literate society? That is quite different than it was many centuries ago. The writings of the Church are copious . . why does this surprise you?

As usual, you've missed my point. You still did not answer my question. If "Oral Tradition" was so sound, dependable. infallible, and no need was found to write it down at the same time that Scripture was written down, why was it ever written down?
Maybe what you interpret as sarcasm is not as often as you think

Ditto. ;)
LOL .. this is now wishful thinking on your part . . . .

And, you are still living in the self-deluded land of denial . . . and I don't mean "The Nile." ;)
you have soundly refuted nothing racer . . . .
Oh, but I have . . . . . :)

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
"The task of giving an authentic interpretation of the Word of God, whether in its written form or in the form of Tradition, has been entrusted to the living teaching office of the [Catholic] Church alone. Its authority in this matter is exercised in the name of Jesus Christ."47 This means that the task of interpretation has been entrusted to the bishops in communion with the successor of Peter, the Bishop of Rome.

Jesus Christ has given US His authority. We, as individual believers have the ability to interpret, for we have the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit in us.

We do not need some institution, self-appointed as the holder of all authority over Scripture for its interpretation--we have Christ Himself! We believers are the true Church. That is what Jesus died to create: Followers called the Church, who, because of faith in Him, in unity make more followers unto the end of this age.

People, this is a stupid debate. Jesus is NOT glorified in such evil divisions. Get a clue and see that Satan is ROFL-ing at all the stupid self-aggrandizing and arrogant claims in this thread.

Jesus is the head of His Church...it has no name, nor does it have a pope. It is His Church and we are it! Only those who have a personal relationship with Him are members.

I have never even heard of the concept of "Sola Scriptura"... I know that Scripture is the means by which God has chosen to reveal Himself to us. That is His utterly wonderful way He speaks to our hearts about His love for us, and His provision for our salvation and victory! Through His written Word, Logos, and His physical Word, Jesus, and His Revelation to us today,through His Holy Spirit, Rhema, we have all we need to know God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.