WI
✟81,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know if it's actually still in force or if it ever was. But what are your thoughts on it.?
For example do you believe it was a good thing to stop misinformation , or do you believe it was like something out of George Orwell's 1984 novel?
It was dissolved in August 2022 after a few months. I have read 1984, back in 2012 or so, and it was a good book. A better way of stopping misinformation is to have news stories from both sides, and an independent fact checker.

1713272876818.png

Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

imsaneru

Jun 18, 2017
Metropolis
✟44,456.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It was dissolved in August 2022 after a few months.
Ok well thanks for that info appreciated ..:oldthumbsup:
But it doesn't change the fact that it was implemented. So what are your thoughts about it.?
Please do not try to get around the subject by saying this should happen or that , please try and answer the question...:)

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟81,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok well thanks for that info appreciated ..:oldthumbsup:
But it doesn't change the fact that it was implemented. So what are your thoughts about it.?
Please do not try to get around the subject by saying this should happen or that , please try and answer the question...:)
I honestly do not know. I'll let others decide, cos I provided the facts about the Disinformation Board. Both Trump and Biden have had their fair share of controversy.

Upvote 0

imsaneru

Jun 18, 2017
Metropolis
✟44,456.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I honestly do not know. I'll let others decide, cos I provided the facts about the Disinformation Board. Both Trump and Biden have had their fair share of controversy.
See there you go again , I never mentioned Trump.
Please try and stay on track. The question is simple , it's not difficult.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if it's actually still in force or if it ever was. But what are your thoughts on it.?
For example do you believe it was a good thing to stop misinformation , or do you believe it was like something out of George Orwell's 1984 novel?
This post is misleading. Joe Biden did not initiate this advisory board, the DHS did under the Trump administration.

The Disinformation Governance Board was announced and revealed to the public by the DHS on April 27, 2022, during a 2023 budget hearing before the United States House Appropriations Subcommittee on Homeland Security.[1] The board had begun operating two months prior to the announcement. The DHS had decided to form the board in 2021 after conducting research that recommended creating a group to "review questions of privacy and civil liberty for online content".[2] White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said that the board is the "continuation of work that began in the DHS in 2020 under former President Trump".[8] The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency has previously addressed the spread of what they referred to as "mis-, dis-, and malinformation", as well as addressing Russian disinformation as part of their election security efforts in 2020.[9][10] CISA director Chris Krebs was fired by President Trump

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It was dissolved in August 2022 after a few months. I have read 1984, back in 2012 or so, and it was a good book. A better way of stopping misinformation is to have news stories from both sides, and an independent fact checker.

View attachment 345979
"Disinformation governance"
And "ministry of Truth"

have a similar ring to them. Sounds like "we will tell you all the truth you need to know and if you find out different we will be dishing out some well-managed disinformation"

Upvote 0

imsaneru

Jun 18, 2017
Metropolis
✟44,456.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This post is misleading. Joe Biden did not initiate this advisory board, the DHS did under the Trump administration.

The Disinformation Governance Board was announced and revealed to the public by the DHS on April 27, 2022, during a 2023 budget hearing before the United States House Appropriations Subcommittee on Homeland Security.[1] The board had begun operating two months prior to the announcement. The DHS had decided to form the board in 2021 after conducting research that recommended creating a group to "review questions of privacy and civil liberty for online content".[2] White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said that the board is the "continuation of work that began in the DHS in 2020 under former President Trump".[8] The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency has previously addressed the spread of what they referred to as "mis-, dis-, and malinformation", as well as addressing Russian disinformation as part of their election security efforts in 2020.[9][10] CISA director Chris Krebs was fired by President Trump
Ok whatever. So do you think it was a good thing to stop misinformation or do you believe it was like something out of George Orwell's 1984?
I'm trying to get a sense of what people thought when it was implemented.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟81,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Disinformation governance"
And "ministry of Truth"

have a similar ring to them. Sounds like "we will tell you all the truth you need to know and if you find out different we will be dishing out some well-managed disinformation"
I agree. That does sound scary. I am actually glad that the Disinformation Governance Board got shut down. People can fact check using independent sources, not ones tied to the government.

Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,376.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Private businesses have a right to self-regulate. FB should not be required to publish info they deem dangerous.
Online forums that are dumping grounds will lose their value--as X and truthsocial have.
We should try to promote the truth while minimizing outright censorship.
We've seen how that works at libraries--with cherished classics being banned by religious zealots.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟81,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Private businesses have a right to self-regulate. FB should not be required to publish info they deem dangerous.
Online forums that are dumping grounds will lose their value--as X and truthsocial have.
We should try to promote the truth while minimizing outright censorship.
We've seen how that works at libraries--with cherished classics being banned by religious zealots.
I agree. The DHS Disinformation Governance Board, also known as the "Disinformation Governance Board" or "Ministry of Truth," raised a lot of concerns due to its potential for infringing on free speech and privacy, as well as the possibility of political bias and abuse. Critics argue that the board could have a chilling effect on protected speech, especially if it was used to target specific individuals or groups based on political affiliation.

The government is not the best-suited entity to combat misinformation effectively. Independent groups and non-governmental organizations that specialize in fact-checking and countering disinformation may be more effective because they are not perceived as having a political agenda. Self-regulation by social media platforms, in conjunction with fact-checkers and independent organizations, can also be an effective way to combat misinformation without the perceived heavy hand of government involvement.

Additionally, concerns were raised about the potential for conflicts of interest and lack of transparency within the Disinformation Governance Board. The board's structure and funding sources were not clearly defined, which added to the unease surrounding its creation.

Overall, a combination of self-regulation by tech companies, fact-checking by independent organizations, and public education about media literacy and critical thinking skills may be more effective and less intrusive ways to combat misinformation compared to a government-led group such as the Disinformation Governance Board.

By the way, this is the source that I used to explain the issues with the DHS Disinformation Governance Board: Disinformation Governance Board (2023)

Upvote 0

imsaneru

Jun 18, 2017
Metropolis
✟44,456.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But what if platforms like FB and others are only doing it because they are forced to do so or pay hefty fines to the Gov.
This news clip was from last yr , with the news presenter interviewing a professor of law from the university of Adelaide about the dangers we face if this bill gets passed , last I heard I think the bill was shot down anyway.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The government is not at all above putting out inaccurate information whether intentionally or unintentionally. To have any one person as the arbiter of truth is non sense ... especially our government.

Upvote 0