Job's Wife.

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think he had a second.
First wife taunted Job to curse God and DIE.
Job had 10 mature children with first wife. Chances are that first wife was past child bearing age for 10 more.
Job's last 3 daughters were more beautiful than the first 3 and all other girls.

Yes, it is a guess, but an educated one that Job had a second wife.

Upvote 0

PuerAzaelis

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2016
NYC
✟182,310.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
What was her name?
There is an old tradition among the Jews, which also appears in the Chaldee Paraphrast, that his wife was Dinah, the frail daughter of Jacob. This is of value only as showing an ancient belief that Job lived in the patriarchal age.
Whedon

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I doubt that job was a real person. that book seems pretty old. seems like some kind of ancient play to me. maybe someone like solomon wrote it.

jobs wife was wise because if Job cursed the image of God that he perceived in his suffering, his suffering would have ended or greatly lessened. in the end job did curse God and he did die and that is why God was able to come through to him in a powerful way.

it is the same truth as the "I die daily" that paul spoke of. it is the same as when Jesus said that:

John 3:6-8 (YLT)
that which hath been born of the flesh is flesh, and that which hath been born of the Spirit is spirit. `Thou mayest not wonder that I said to thee, It behoveth you to be born from above; the Spirit where he willeth doth blow, and his voice thou dost hear, but thou hast not known whence he cometh, and whither he goeth; thus is every one who hath been born of the Spirit.'

or the same as the spirit spoke in this:

John 8:33-36 (YLT)
They answered him, `Seed of Abraham we are; and to no one have we been servants at any time; how dost thou say--Ye shall become free?' Jesus answered them, `Verily, verily, I say to you--Every one who is committing sin, is a servant of the sin, and the servant doth not remain in the house--to the age, the son doth remain--to the age; if then the son may make you free, in reality ye shall be free.

also for edification chew on this:

Prov 17:2 (YLT)
A wise servant ruleth over a son causing shame, And in the midst of brethren He apportioneth an inheritance.

or this, which Christians greatly resist like a job who is suffering:

Ezek 46:16-18 (YLT)
`Thus said the Lord Jehovah: When the prince giveth a gift to any of his sons, his inheritance it is , to his sons it is ; their possession it is by inheritance. And when he giveth a gift out of his inheritance to one of his servants, then it hath been to him till the year of freedom, and it hath turned back to the prince, only the inheritance of his sons is theirs. And the prince doth not take of the inheritance of the people to oppress them, out of their possession, out of his own possession he doth cause his sons to inherit, so that My people are not scattered each from his possession.'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Luke17:37

Jan 2, 2016
United States
✟12,166.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I doubt that job was a real person. that book seems pretty old. seems like some kind of ancient play to me. maybe someone like solomon wrote it.

jobs wife was wise because if Job cursed the image of God that he perceived in his suffering, his suffering would have ended or greatly lessened. in the end job did curse God and he did die and that is why God was able to come through to him in a powerful way.

it is the same truth as the "I die daily" that paul spoke of. it is the same as when Jesus said that:

John 3:6-8 (YLT)
that which hath been born of the flesh is flesh, and that which hath been born of the Spirit is spirit. `Thou mayest not wonder that I said to thee, It behoveth you to be born from above; the Spirit where he willeth doth blow, and his voice thou dost hear, but thou hast not known whence he cometh, and whither he goeth; thus is every one who hath been born of the Spirit.'

or the same as the spirit spoke in this:

John 8:33-36 (YLT)
They answered him, `Seed of Abraham we are; and to no one have we been servants at any time; how dost thou say--Ye shall become free?' Jesus answered them, `Verily, verily, I say to you--Every one who is committing sin, is a servant of the sin, and the servant doth not remain in the house--to the age, the son doth remain--to the age; if then the son may make you free, in reality ye shall be free.

also for edification chew on this:

Prov 17:2 (YLT)
A wise servant ruleth over a son causing shame, And in the midst of brethren He apportioneth an inheritance.

or this, which Christians greatly resist like a job who is suffering:

Ezek 46:16-18 (YLT)
`Thus said the Lord Jehovah: When the prince giveth a gift to any of his sons, his inheritance it is , to his sons it is ; their possession it is by inheritance. And when he giveth a gift out of his inheritance to one of his servants, then it hath been to him till the year of freedom, and it hath turned back to the prince, only the inheritance of his sons is theirs. And the prince doth not take of the inheritance of the people to oppress them, out of their possession, out of his own possession he doth cause his sons to inherit, so that My people are not scattered each from his possession.'

Just because it was a long time ago doesn't mean he wasn't a real person. God didn't put fairy tales in His Word. You can believe it.

BTW, your context is all mixed up. Job never cursed God. The New Testament passage is about dying to sinful desires and obeying Christ (even if it hurts).

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Job's Wife.

What was her name?
There is an old tradition among the Jews, which also appears in the Chaldee Paraphrast, that his wife was Dinah, the frail daughter of Jacob. This is of value only as showing an ancient belief that Job lived in the patriarchal age.
Whedon

Thank you for your response.

Just wondering....

is her name mentioned anywhere in the Bible?

And regarding what you said, if Dinah was frail, how is it she gave birth to ten children and survived?

Reactions: taraj
Upvote 0

Luke17:37

Jan 2, 2016
United States
✟12,166.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for your response.

Just wondering....

is her name mentioned anywhere in the Bible?

And regarding what you said, if Dinah was frail, how is it she gave birth to ten children and survived?
The name of Job's wife is not mentioned in the Bible.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0