JK Rowling calls 'crossdressing' men 'one of the most pandered-to demographics in existence'

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟199,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it’s wild that it only took 25 or so years for her to go from being the cause of every problem by glorifying witchcraft and thus attacking Christianity, to now the Christian figurehead for social advocacy. I remember people protesting book stores, writing to get Harry Potter banned at libraries, and book burnings of her stuff. I remember her sobbing on the media about having to hire security for all the people who threatened her, stalked her, and tried to break into her home all because they were big mad she mainstreamed witchcraft.

Now arch conservative Christians fall all over themselves to book her for engagements, speeches, and interviews. They invoke her opinions when debating social initiatives like what she says is irrefutable gospel. Craziness.

It’s a full on Anne Rice 2.0.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟295,529.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think it’s wild that it only took 25 or so years for her to go from being the cause of every problem by glorifying witchcraft and thus attacking Christianity, to now the Christian figurehead for social advocacy. I remember people protesting book stores, writing to get Harry Potter banned at libraries, and book burnings of her stuff. I remember her sobbing on the media about having to hire security for all the people who threatened her, stalked her, and tried to break into her home all because they were big mad she mainstreamed witchcraft.

Now arch conservative Christians fall all over themselves to book her for engagements, speeches, and interviews. They invoke her opinions when debating social initiatives like what she says is irrefutable gospel. Craziness.

It's even more amazing that It took 25 years to up end what was common sense for all of human history. It's not that JK Rowling should be praised, she's still pretty cringe and not part of the right, but she's not wrong on this issue.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟199,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's even more amazing that It took 25 years to up end what was common sense for all of human history. It's not that JK Rowling should be praised, she's still pretty cringe and not part of the right, but she's not wrong on this issue.
Hey, you don’t have to justify your lack of cognitive dissonance to me. However you want to make it more ethically palatable is your business. None of it really effects me or my opinion or my viewpoints.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟295,529.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hey, you don’t have to justify your lack of cognitive dissonance to me. However you want to make it more ethically palatable is your business. None of it really effects me or my opinion or my viewpoints.
Huh? So because JK Rowling has been rather weird and wrong on a lot of her progressive priorities, we can't acknowledge her being right on this issue?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,279,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It really goes back to the old saying, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

This may come as a surprise, since most people here probably recognize me as a religious liberal, belonging to an historically liberal denomination, and left-of-center politically (at least by American standards), but I actually do have counter-cultural opinions about many things, things I don't approve of that are widely accepted. However, I am careful in how I use my words in public speech, or on the internet. And I don't like even the appearance of "punching down" on minority groups, I don't think its consistent with Christian ethics. Being kind is more important than being right.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟199,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Huh? So because JK Rowling has been rather weird and wrong on a lot of her progressive priorities, we can't acknowledge her being right on this issue?
You can do whatever you want. Me, I tend to separate myself from people who I feel are damaging faith or society as much as she was accused of doing, even if it turns out they may agree with me on another issue. If I feel so strongly against somebody that I burn their books or boycott them, I don’t suddenly decide to give them a platform because I happen to agree with them on one thing. I tend to think if you’re really that bad and we happen to agree on something, it is a fluke or a sign I should really dig into my viewpoints and evaluate if I’m wrong too.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟295,529.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You can do whatever you want. Me, I tend to separate myself from people who I feel are damaging faith or society as much as she was accused of doing, even if it turns out they may agree with me on another issue. If I feel so strongly against somebody that I burn their books or boycott them, I don’t suddenly decide to give them a platform because I happen to agree with them on one thing. I tend to think if you’re really that bad and we happen to agree on something, it is a fluke or a sign I should really dig into my viewpoints and evaluate if I’m wrong too.
Did I burn JK Rowlings books?

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟385,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
While I don't know whether I'd call them one of the most pandered-to demographics, I like the fact that she is free to say what she thinks. People can agree or disagree with her, but she can say what she wants, as is the nature of freedom of speech.

At best, you're referring to a small demographic. I was in Evangelical conservative Christian circles at the time, and the general consensus seemed to be that the Harry Potter books were a fun read. Something that kids and adults might both enjoy. The "Left Behind" series may have been more popular, but I never witnessed antipathy towards Harry Potter. At least not beyond acknowledging that they were secular literature. For Christian fantasy, look to the Lord of the Rings or Chronicles of Narnia books. The supposed book burnings and bans were considered strange, not at all relatable or mainstream Christian culture, by the Evangelicals and Catholics that I knew.

What you're talking about is like suggesting that Christians used to carry around "God Hates F&%$" banners. Which was really just BS from a single family group masquerading as a church and dominating the media. Confusing that for a commonly held Christian attitude is a mistake.

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟257,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Did I burn JK Rowlings books?
Plenty of Christians read Harry Potter and had no problems with it. Most of those who were opposed to it were Fundamentalists and Evangelicals. Many, many people do not accept the trans ideology and applaud JK Rowling for standing up for REAL women and her beliefs.

Another fun fact, the late Anne Rice, who was away from Christianity, apparently received the Sacraments on her death bed. I can only hope for her salvation.

Blessings

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟295,529.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Plenty of Christians read Harry Potter and had no problems with it. Most of those who were opposed to it were Fundamentalists and Evangelicals. Many, many people do not accept the trans ideology and applaud JK Rowling for standing up for REAL women and her beliefs.

Another fun fact, the late Anne Rice, who was away from Christianity, apparently received the Sacraments on her death bed. I can only hope for her salvation.

Blessings
I guess because one segment of the right did something we're all responsible for it.

I think people can be cautious of JK and calling her an ally of conservatives or the right. At the end of the day she's a feminist and feminism is antithetical to any traditional or conservative understanding of women.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟257,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I guess because one segment of the right did something we're all responsible for it.

I think people can be cautious of JK and calling her an ally of conservatives or the right. At the end of the day she's a feminist and feminism is antithetical to any traditional or conservative understanding of women.
I’m happy she’s a feminist opposed to men pretending to be women. Good for her!

Although I completely agree with you.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟149,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It really goes back to the old saying, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

This may come as a surprise, since most people here probably recognize me as a religious liberal, belonging to an historically liberal denomination, and left-of-center politically (at least by American standards), but I actually do have counter-cultural opinions about many things, things I don't approve of that are widely accepted. However, I am careful in how I use my words in public speech, or on the internet. And I don't like even the appearance of "punching down" on minority groups, I don't think its consistent with Christian ethics. Being kind is more important than being right.
That is true, but we must rebuke worldly churches, and pastors that speak falsehoods, as stated in 1 Timothy 5:20 and Galatians 2:11-14, which can be read below. We can choose to be a Laodicean church, or choose to be a Christ-following church.

DateMay 15, 2024 | Rebuking Worldly Churches
Verse1 Timothy 5:20 (ESV): "As for those who persist in sin, rebuke them in the presence of all, so that the rest may stand in fear."

Galatians 2:11-14 (ESV): "But when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. For before certain men came from James, he was eating with the Gentiles; but when they came he drew back and separated himself, fearing the circumcision party. And the rest of the Jews acted hypocritically along with him, so that even Barnabas was led astray by their hypocrisy. But when I saw that their conduct was not in step with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas before them all, ‘If you, though a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you force the Gentiles to live like Jews?’"
Explanation1 Timothy 5:20 is a command from the apostle Paul to Timothy, instructing him to rebuke those who persist in sin in the presence of the entire congregation. The purpose of this public rebuke is to make an example and deter others from falling into the same sin. It also creates a fear of accountability and encourages a lifestyle of obedience to God's Word.

Galatians 2:11-14 is an account of an incident where Paul confronted Peter (Cephas) for hypocritically separating himself from Gentile believers when Jewish leaders arrived. Paul challenged Peter's actions, stating that if he, as a Jew, lived like a Gentile, he should not force Gentiles to live like Jews. This passage highlights the importance of maintaining the truth of the gospel and not compromising it for the sake of pleasing others or fearing their opinions.

A.W. Tozer's quote, "The church that can’t worship must be entertained. And leaders who can’t lead a church to worship must provide the entertainment", emphasizes the need for authentic worship within the church. When a church cannot engage in genuine worship, they often resort to entertainment to keep the congregation engaged. However, this can lead to harmful, secular practices being introduced into the church.
Societal RelevanceIn modern society, some churches have resorted to including secular music or events into the sanctuary. One notable example was a church in Ohio, where a pastor kicked the Holy Bible in a game of football on the stage with the other church leaders, and then held a sacrilegious music performance of Wrecking Ball in early 2024. Nobody inside the church had the guts to call out the pastor’s actions.

However, in April 2024, a Christian men’s conference at James River Church in Missouri entered public notoriety when megachurch pastor John Lindell invited a sword-swallower (a former Las Vegas strip club performer) to perform an acrobatic stunt on a tall beam in front of thousands, sparking outrage. Pastor Mark Driscoll spoke out when he quoted that the Jezebel spirit had entered the church: "Before the Word of God was open, there was a platform. It was a high place. On it was a pole, an ashera, the same thing that's used in a strip club by women who have the Jezebel spirit to seduce men. And in front of that was a man who ripped his shirt off like a woman does in front of a pole at a strip club".

In other words, Mark Driscoll spoke the truth, in front of the congregation, which pastor Lindell fought back with a perversion of scripture. Lindell misquoted Matthew 18, saying that Driscoll should have spoken privately. However, 1 Timothy 5:20 clearly states that to protect the church, it may be necessary to speak out when a wrongdoing has been committed by those who sin in front of a congregation. Remember, rebuking sin is necessary sometimes, in order to protect the sanctity of the church.

In 2023, Reverend Dr. Caleb J. Lines preached a false teaching (5 minute video) – a blasphemy, stating that “God is trans” and “gay”, which the Bible clearly states that God made man and women in his image (Genesis 1:27). The congregation failed to rebuke him, as the church had an un-biblical ideology as a whole, similar to the Church of Laodicea (Revelations 3:15). As a Christian bi guy myself, I have made the decision to remain celibate/virgin unless married to a wife, in order to abide by the law of the Bible, abstaining from sin. Yes, some guys are really handsome, especially Asians, but God wants to protect us from sin and illness, which could be brought on by sexual encounters with the same sex. So, let us proclaim the truth, and live our best for Jesus.

To avoid and call out harmful, secular practices in churches, Christians should:
  1. Study God's Word and be familiar with the teachings of the Bible. This knowledge will help in recognizing and distinguishing between biblical and secular practices.
  2. Pray for discernment and the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
  3. Encourage church leaders to prioritize genuine worship and biblical teaching.
  4. Speak out against harmful practices in a loving and respectful manner, following the example of Paul in Galatians 2:11-14.
  5. Fellowship with other like-minded believers and churches that prioritize biblical teaching and authentic worship.
Remember that change may not happen overnight, but consistent prayer and advocacy for biblical truth can make a significant impact in the life of one’s church.

• Winner
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟149,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In Revelation 2:14-15, Jesus rebukes the church in Pergamum for holding on to the teaching of Balaam, which encouraged the people to indulge in sexual immorality. Pergamum was a city of both good (medical science), and evil (Satan worshipping): Ancient Pergamon

Revelation 2:14-15: "Nevertheless, I have a few things against you: There are some among you who hold to the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to entice the Israelites to sin so that they ate food sacrificed to idols and committed sexual immorality. Likewise, you also have those who hold to the teaching of the Nicolaitans."

@FireDragon76 , be careful, my friend. For, we are near the end, whether that happens in 2024, 2060, or 2500.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟199,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While I don't know whether I'd call them one of the most pandered-to demographics, I like the fact that she is free to say what she thinks. People can agree or disagree with her, but she can say what she wants, as is the nature of freedom of speech.

At best, you're referring to a small demographic. I was in Evangelical conservative Christian circles at the time, and the general consensus seemed to be that the Harry Potter books were a fun read. Something that kids and adults might both enjoy. The "Left Behind" series may have been more popular, but I never witnessed antipathy towards Harry Potter. At least not beyond acknowledging that they were secular literature. For Christian fantasy, look to the Lord of the Rings or Chronicles of Narnia books. The supposed book burnings and bans were considered strange, not at all relatable or mainstream Christian culture, by the Evangelicals and Catholics that I knew.
It wasn’t a small demographic, but ok.
What you're talking about is like suggesting that Christians used to carry around "God Hates F&%$" banners. Which was really just BS from a single family group masquerading as a church and dominating the media. Confusing that for a commonly held Christian attitude is a mistake.
Is it though?

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟199,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fundamentalist evangelicals, like the ones applauding her now?

Blessings
Fun fact: if she did get the sacraments, it would have been because somebody else requested them for her, seeing as she had a stroke and was not conscious and thus couldn’t request them herself. That said, I think her son, who is gay, likely would not have been the one to orchestrate it. And whomever performed them would have done so despite her (very publicly) leaving Catholicism because she did not agree with their stances on gay marriage, premarital sex, birth control, and abortion.

Like I said, I’ve seen this all before. Anne Rice was evil and spreading demonic content, until she converted to Christianity and then she was an icon that was held up as the big save of the generation, and everybody kind of ignored that she was still collecting those sweet, sweet book residuals off of and actively promoting said demonic books. When she left again (after making a few tens of millions off of people using said faith), people either pretended she didn’t, or they went back to saying they hated her.

JK Rowling is the same way. Shes spreading demonic content, she’s glorifying homosexuality, she’s undermining Christianity… Until she says something people like and then she’s amazing and thoughtful and insightful… And we kind of ignore all the other stuff she does that 20 years ago was considered spiritual warfare, lol. Now that she’s “on the team,” she’s great. Still collecting billions off that witchcraft stuff which (allegedly) glorified witchcraft and satanism, but she has the appropriate CIS-gendered TERF opinions, so we can overlook the other stuff, rewrite a little history, move a goalpost or two, and voila!

Glad it seems to work for everybody. My sense of cognitive dissonance doesn’t allow me to compartmentalize like that. If I think you’re sending millions to hell, attacking the fabric of faith, and the source of pervasive spiritual warfare, I’m really not going to care that you and I root for the same NFL team.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟257,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Fundamentalist evangelicals, like the ones applauding her now?

Fun fact: if she did get the sacraments, it would have been because somebody else requested them for her, seeing as she had a stroke and was not conscious and thus couldn’t request them herself. That said, I think her son, who is gay, likely would not have been the one to orchestrate it. And whomever performed them would have done so despite her (very publicly) leaving Catholicism because she did not agree with their stances on gay marriage, premarital sex, birth control, and abortion.

Like I said, I’ve seen this all before. Anne Rice was evil and spreading demonic content, until she converted to Christianity and then she was an icon that was held up as the big save of the generation, and everybody kind of ignored that she was still collecting those sweet, sweet book residuals off of and actively promoting said demonic books. When she left again (after making a few tens of millions off of people using said faith), people either pretended she didn’t, or they went back to saying they hated her.

JK Rowling is the same way. Shes spreading demonic content, she’s glorifying homosexuality, she’s undermining Christianity… Until she says something people like and then she’s amazing and thoughtful and insightful… And we kind of ignore all the other stuff she does that 20 years ago was considered spiritual warfare, lol. Now that she’s “on the team,” she’s great. Still collecting billions off that witchcraft stuff which (allegedly) glorified witchcraft and satanism, but she has the appropriate CIS-gendered TERF opinions, so we can overlook the other stuff, rewrite a little history, move a goalpost or two, and voila!

Glad it seems to work for everybody. My sense of cognitive dissonance doesn’t allow me to compartmentalize like that. If I think you’re sending millions to hell, attacking the fabric of faith, and the source of pervasive spiritual warfare, I’m really not going to care that you and I root for the same NFL team.
#1. So? People can change.

#2. Regarding Anne Rice, I do not know what happened in her final days. I’m aware of her son and her stance on issues. I really, really don’t know if she had a change of heart or not- that’s between her and God- not me. She ultimately answered to God and no one else.

#3. TERF and Cis are just words pro-trans words people like to throw around to promote their fantasy. A man cannot become a woman or vice versa. His chromosomes do not change. Wanting men in woman-only spaces just because he says he’s a woman makes no sense.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟257,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I think LGBT is the sin of this century, and am disgusted by those activists who demands everyone accept their alternate lifestyle. It’s very hypocritical.

A man can claim he’s a woman all he wants. Science and logic say otherwise.

• Winner
Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟385,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It wasn’t a small demographic, but ok.

Is it though?
Unless you think the fringe represents most Christians, it was a small demographic. Despite what some would have us believe, a few outspoken whackadoodles don't a majority make.

I have a hard time taking seriously the idea that Westboro Baptist types (they're a family cult, not a normal church) represent the typical Evangelical Christian. On here, Evangelicals are sometimes portrayed as simpleton boogeymen with pitchforks. In real life, I've know them as engineers, doctors, military officers, librarians etc. The idea that they were burning books and protesting Harry Potter simply doesn't parse with the reality of my experience.

At the time, I was a young adult college student and I remember those days well. If there was a shift, it was from seeing Rowling as a talented if secular author to one who happens to agree with a common Evangelical position on gender. Not a 180 degree turn from disliking her. Rather, embracing a famous secular person for articulating similar views.

Upvote 0