Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
. I've done presentations on the history of Planned Parenthood/the foundations of it which were racist - if aware of documentaries such as "MAAFA 21 THE BLACK HOLOCAUST"

It's an excellent documentary discussing the reality of how Jim Crow and the practices of Margret Sanger tied together - with Republican AND Democratic support unfortunately. It is something that definitely needs to be understood when seeing how much the restrictions with Jim Crow influenced others to be more open to Margret Sanger in her ideas.

Indeed...and unfortunately, they were impacted as well by many aspects of Jim Crow.

People did the same thing in MLK's day and other scholars such as Dr. Michelle Alexander have spoken on that matter when pointing out how Martin Luther King pointed to the nature of Jim Crow laws being prominently based on class division - and for more, go here ( https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fmipdo%2Frare-mlk-jr-on-how-the-races ). As she noted:

Check out this short clip from a MLK speech that is rarely heard, explaining how wealthy white elites used the media to prevent poor whites and the descendants of slaves from uniting to challenge an unjust economic and social order in the late 1800s. The desire to destroy a growing inter-racial Populist movement for economic justice led white elites to deliberately and strategically stir up feelings of white racial resentment and superiority. They aimed to turn the white poor against their new black allies, permanently disenfranchise blacks, and guarantee the perpetuation of a system that kept most Southern whites desperate and poor, and that kept all blacks defined as less than human. The only thing poor whites got in return was an empty feeling of superiority - at least they weren't black. That's how the old Jim Crow was

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Personally,I believe the most devastating blow aside from abortion to Blacks was L.B.J.and his war on poverty.

His intentions may have been good, but I don't know.
I do know the circumstances that followed brought the downfall of successful enterprise zones,and replaced them with glorified internment camps today that are called projects,hood,getto.
Many Blacks were already successful in business, all that was needed was to abolish Jim Crow laws and allow for true equality in all areas including business out side of the segregated areas.
As far as Native Americans go we were being murdered from the beginning,there was gold in the hills of the eastern band Cherokee, and rich soil as well.
Trails of tears and reservations became our internment camps,from the early days acts of genocide were being commited.

Deliberate infectionEdit
Cook asserts that there is no evidence that the Spanish attempted to infect the American natives.[28] The cattle introduced by the Spanish polluted the water reserves which Native Americans dug in the fields to accumulate rain water. In response, theFranciscans and Dominicans created public fountains and aqueducts to guarantee access to drinking water.[5] But when the Franciscans lost their privileges in 1572, many of these fountains were not guarded any more and deliberate well poisoningmay have happened.[5] Although no proof of such poisoning has been found, some historians believe the decrease of the population correlates with the end of religious orders' control of the water.[5]

One of the most infamous issues relating to disease depopulation in the Americas concerns the Europeans' deliberate infection of indigenous peoples with diseases such as smallpox.

Letters between two British officers, General Jeffrey Amherst and Colonel Henry Bouquet, explicitly advocate the idea of using smallpox-infested blankets to kill Indians at the Siege of Fort Pitt.[29] Amherst suggests the distribution of blankets to "inocculate the Indians." Bouquet approves this plan and they agree "to try Every other method that can serve to Extirpate this Execrable Race." The Journal of William Trent, who was the local militia commander, recorded the following transaction: "we gave them two Blankets and an Handkerchief out of the Small Pox Hospital. I hope it will have the desired effect." The tainted gifts were, according to the camp inventory accounts, given to the Indian dignitaries "to Convey the Smallpox to the Indians", and were acknowledged and approved by the Fort Pitt commander and the Commander in Chief General Thomas Gage.(Wickopedia. )
Reverend King was spot on, with knowlage that only the Holy Spirit could give ,yet in some ways misunderstood by Blacks in what he was saying.

He encompassed the problem,yet the people could not truly see the answer.
They were satisfied with the psudo equality ,and the new programs being put out.

They could not see the hardship of forced integration on children of all races,so another wedge was driven between the people.
Afirimitive action? Really appreciate being hired because of my color rather than my quality.

It is rising again,people who claim to hold Dr. Kings values are wolves stirring hatred and causing violence and riots for their own motives.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
*Comes out of lurkdom*

Glad to see this thread is still going. Thank you for keeping the discussion alive.

Here is what you probably won't find in the avalanche of articles linked and the countless hours of youtube videos posted (the only criteria for posting of which is they make some passing reference to the topic). Jim Crow laws were entirely the product of the Democrat party.

Oh okay, you wanna reduce centuries of institutionalized racism down to Democrat/Republican political binaries. :yawn1: If you're going to make this about "It's Democrats who are the real racists!" then I'm gonna assume you really have nothing to contribute to the discussion, because it's more complex than that.

My sense is the only argument you may have ever been exposed to is the one which claims only evil Republicans ever long for the good old days when Afican-Americans knew their place. If so, you may need to rethink that.

Also this, "you Black people are being duped/brainwashed/tricked,etc. by the Democratic Party" nonesense needs to stop. We're not mindless sheep in need of guidance. In reality, both parties are racist, albeit in different ways. Republicans tend to be open about their contempt for us.

Jim Crow was a complicated reality and Black people in this discussion are aware of it. So please be respectful before trying to talk to others as if they didn't study.

Thank you. Her responses were condescending.

Reactions: Gxg (G²)
Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh okay, you wanna reduce centuries of institutionalized racism down to Democrat/Republican political binaries.

You asked about Jim Crow laws in general and the history post 13th Amendment specifically. I provided an historically correct answer, because I assumed you actually wanted an answer. However the history of the issue is clear. If you want to know who it was that actually institutionalized racism, the answer isn't hard to determine.

Following the passage of the 13th Amendment the KKK was founded as the enforcement arm of the Democrat Party. Nathan Bedford Forrest, cited as the original founder of the KKK, was a Democrat. Quote:

"Although it is relatively unreported today, historical documents are unequivocal that the Klan was established by Democrats and that the Klan played a prominent role in the Democratic Party," Barton writes in his book. "In fact, a 13-volume set of congressional investigations from 1872 conclusively and irrefutably documents that fact.

"The Klan terrorized black Americans through murders and public floggings; relief was granted only if individuals promised not to vote for Republican tickets, and violation of this oath was punishable by death," he said. "Since the Klan targeted Republicans in general, it did not limit its violence simply to black Republicans; white Republicans were also included."

Source: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2309727/posts

President Woodrow Wilson, a Democrat, instituted segregation of Federal Buildings and federal jobs following a period of almost 50 years of Republican efforts at integration. Quote:

"In 1912 Woodrow Wilson, the Democratic candidate for president, promised fairness and justice for blacks if elected. In a letter to a black church official, Wilson wrote, "Should I become President of the United States they may count upon me for absolute fair dealing for everything by which I could assist in advancing their interests of the race." But after the election, Wilson changed his tune. He dismissed 15 out of 17 black supervisors who had been previously appointed to federal jobs ad replaced them with whites."

Source: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/jimcrow/stories_events_segregation.html

Jim Crow laws were instituted by the Democrat Party in the South in an effort to restore the order many thought they had been deprived of. The "separate but equal" ideal you cited was a staple of those laws. From Human Events Online, quote:

Democrats Should Know Jim Crow, They Created Him

Moreover, decrying all Republicans as racists is a Democrat article of faith. But why dredge up Jim Crow?

In 1832, the phrase “Jim Crow” was born. By 1900, every former Confederate state (including Wyoming, Missouri, Ohio, Utah, Kentucky, Kansas and Oklahoma) had enacted “Jim Crow” laws prohibiting everything from interracial marriage to racially integrated public school systems. These state laws served to place blacks back on a virtual plantation. Similar to the “Black Codes” that came before them, Jim Crow laws were numerous. However, one denominator codified their sound support in Southern states: They all resulted from Democratic legislators of the “Solid South.”

When Bill Clinton was 18, his future vice president’s father, Sen. Al Gore Sr., was locked arm-in-arm with other segregationist Democrats to kill the Civil Rights act of 1964. Clinton’s “mentor” and “friend,” klansman J. William Fulbright, joined the Dixiecrats, an ultra-segregationist wing of Democratic lawmakers, in filibustering the Civil Rights Act of 1957 and in killing the 1965 Voting Rights Act.

Source: http://humanevents.com/2011/07/10/democrats-should-know-jim-crow-they-created-him/

History is what it is. In 1937 FDR nominated a former KKK member, Hugo Black, to the Supreme Court. Sixteen Republican Senators voted against confirmation. Roosevelt and other members of the Democratic Party kept the documentation of Black's association with the KKK hidden until after his confirmation. Quote:

"After Franklin Delano Roosevelt appointed Justice Hugo Black to the Supreme Court, it was revealed that he was a member of the Ku Klux Klan.

While this fact is vastly diminished in history books, Black’s involvement in the KKK was confirmed by Pittsburgh Post-Gazette journalist Ray Sprigle, a journalist who won a "Pulitzer Prize for Reporting" for his exposé."

Source: http://libertyunyielding.com/2014/0...urt-justice-hugo-blacks-ku-klux-klan-scandal/

During his inaugural address as governor of Alabama, it was George Wallace speaking on behalf of the Democrat Party in the South who called for "Segregation Forever".

During the Civil Rights movement the Democrat Party was the party of Orval Faubus and Bull Connor, not the party of Martin Luther King. Quote:

"And when civil rights leaders bravely defied them, Democrats like Bull Connor turned fire hoses and police dogs loose on them, while Democrats like Orval Faubus stationed the National Guard at school doors to turn blacks away at gunpoint.

Democrats are the party that opposed the Civil Rights Acts of 1957 and 1960, and were far more likely to oppose the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964."

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2015/06/forget_the_confederate_flagban_democrats.html

The landmark case Plessy v. Ferguson came about because of Democrat enforcement of the "separate but equal" ideal. Quote:

"In Plessy v. Ferguson (1896), the Supreme Court considered the constitutionality of a Louisiana law passed in 1890 "providing for separate railway carriages for the white and colored races." The law, which required that all passenger railways provide separate cars for blacks and whites, stipulated that the cars be equal in facilities, banned whites from sitting in black cars and blacks in white cars (with exception to "nurses attending children of the other race"), and penalized passengers or railway employees for violating its terms."

Source: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/supremecourt/antebellum/landmark_plessy.html

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was filibustered by Democrats, including party icons such as William Fulbright and Al Gore Sr. The 54 day filibuster held in an attempt to block passage of the Act was led by Democrat Richard B. Russell, who organized 18 other Democrats and one Republican to his cause. Russell told the Senate, quote:

"We will resist to the bitter end any measure or any movement which would have a tendency to bring about social equality and intermingling and amalgamation of the races in our states."

In addition, quote:

"On this day in 1964, Everett Dirksen (R-IL), the Republican Leader in the U.S. Senate, condemned the Democrats’ 57-day filibuster against the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Leading the Democrats in their opposition to civil rights for African-Americans was Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV). Byrd, who got into politics as a recruiter for the Ku Klux Klan, spoke against the bill for fourteen straight hours. Democrats still call Robert Byrd “the conscience of the Senate.”

In his speech, Senator Dirksen called on the Democrats to end their filibuster and accept racial equality."

Source: http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...-democrats-filibustered-the-civil-rights-act/

Following the Civil Rights movement the Dixiecrats did not migrate to the Republican Party. Here is a list of the 21 Democrat Senators who voted against the Civil Rights act of 1964. Following the passage of the Civil Rights Act, Thurmond was the only one to switch parties.

- Hill and Sparkman of Alabama
- Fulbright and McClellan of Arkansas
- Holland and Smathers of Florida
- Russell and Talmadge of Georgia
- Ellender and Long of Louisiana
- Eastland and Stennis of Mississippi
- Ervin and Jordan of North Carolina
- Johnston and Thurmond of South Carolina
- Gore Sr. and Walters of Tennessee
- H. Byrd and Robertson of Virginia
- R. Byrd of West Virginia

For a more modern look into the Democrat Party, research the manner in which Condoleeza Rice was vilified by the American left. Add to that Clarence Thomas, Allen West, Stacy Dash, Herman Cain, Ben Carson, or any Black Conservative. In addition, from Town Hall dot Com:

Democrats Have Kept Racism Alive

"It is ironic that in his speech he challenges the listener by saying, “We can’t accept politics that breeds division, and conflict, and cynicism,” when he belongs to the very party that has always done that, to the point where the new liberal plantation has erected philosophical barriers around all blacks, condemning those who dare to challenge the liberal status quo and escape this manipulation and intimidation. They are called Aunt Jamima, like Condi Rice, or house Negroes like Colin Powell, or forced to endure high tech lynchings like Clarence Thomas. They have Oreo Cookies thrown at them like Michael Steele and are accused of acting white if they identify themselves as Republicans or conservatives."

Source: http://townhall.com/columnists/ninamay/2008/04/02/democrats_have_kept_racism_alive/page/2

Given, of course, this is only a partial answer to your original question concerning history post 13th Amendment.

If you're going to make this about "It's Democrats who are the real racists!" then I'm gonna assume you really have nothing to contribute to the discussion, because it's more complex than that.

Then make an actual argument.

Also this, "you Black people are being duped/brainwashed/tricked,etc. by the Democratic Party" nonesense needs to stop.

Except I never said that. I have said the modern Democrat Party hasn't changed all that much, and the institution attempts to treat African Americans as favored pets in need of their benevolent stewardship. I have never said nor would I ever claim all black people have fallen for it.

We're not mindless sheep in need of guidance.

Nor did I make any claim you were. You are arguing a strawman. However there are those who apparently believe what you claim. In July of 2015 Hillary Clinton stated, quote:

“What is happening is a sweeping effort to disempower and disenfranchise people of color, poor people and young people from one end of our country to another . . . Today Republicans are systematically and deliberately trying to stop millions of American citizens from voting.”

This is a lie, but one designed to pander to an audience Clinton obviously believes is comprised of mindless sheep unable to question her divine guidance.

In reality, both parties are racist, albeit in different ways. Republicans tend to be open about their contempt for us.

How so?

Yeah, about that. In a post submitted subsequent to my first, another member included a Youtube video in which many of the same points I made prior were discussed. Causes me to wonder why you would accept them from one source and not another.

Also recheck my member information posted below my avatar.

Last edited:
Reactions: now faith
Upvote 0

Sistrin

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is an example of the revisionist history required to promote the liberal/Democrat narrative the institutionalized racism endemic to the party has moved somewhere else. From post number two, quote:

"Also, as Carole Emberton, an associate professor of history at the University of Buffalo, wrote:

"Although the names stayed the same, the platforms of the two parties reversed each other in the mid-20th century, due in large part to white Dixiecrats flight out of the Democratic Party and into the Republican Party after the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. By then, the Democratic Party had become the party of reform, supporting a variety of liberal causes, including civil rights, women's rights, etc. whereas this had been the banner of the Republican Party in the nineteenth century."

All of this is a lie, a deliberate twisting of history in order to promote a political agenda.

There was no flight on the part of the Dixiecrats to the Republican Party. Here is the list of Senators and State Governors which comprised the Dixiecrats:

Harry F. Byrd, A. Willis Robertson, Robert C. Byrd, John C. Stennis, James O. Eastland, Allen J. Ellender, Russell B. Long, Sam Ervin, Everett Jordan, Jesse Helms, Thomas Pryor Gore, J. Lister Hill, John J. Sparkman, Spessard Holland, George Smathers, Olin D. Johnston, Strom Thurmond, John McClellan, Richard B. Russell, Jr., Herman E. Talmadge, Herbert S. Walters, Benjamin Travis Laney, Fielding Wright, Frank M. Dixon, William H. Murray, and Mills E. Godwin Jr.

Of this entire group only one ever switched parties. In September of 1964 Strom Thurmond switched to the Republican Party. That is it, one guy. Yet somehow this fact becomes trans-mutated into a massive shift between the parties.

In addition the Civil Rights Act of 1964 would not have passed without the support it had from the Republican Party. The claim the American Left, meaning the liberal/Democrat portion of the spectrum, were the only ones to support or champion civil rights or women's rights or simply equal rights is nothing but lie, propaganda, and disinformation.

Some dialogue on the subject:

Black Conservatives in Explosive Hannity Townhall - 'Liberals Believe They Own Black America'

Some of this has been discussed before years ago when it comes to the long-term history of racism in the Republican party and the many comments made that were often overlooked even as they complained about racism - as seen in the thread A Republican takes Responsibility.

From post number 28 of that thread, quote:

"On September 16, 1964, shortly after the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 passed, Strom Thurmond switched to join the Republican party. Many other Southern Democrats followed suit resulting in the end of the "Solid South" as former Democrats jumped to the Republican party to protect the remaining vestiges of Jim Crow laws.

During the Presidential election of 1968, the Republican Party developed their infamous "Southern Strategy" by directly appealing to racist whites in those states."

More lie and disinformation. The "Southern Strategy" is a myth, another in a long line of fairy tales crafted by liberal Democrats to support their revisionist history.

http://www.christianforums.com/threads/how-the-gop-became-the-white-mans-party.7796189/page-2

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Not a problem (as I know you've spoken before on the matter) - and as I said before, I don't make a point of being surprised or concerned with anything that shows an inability to actually do objective discussions on all facets of an issue. Facts are facts - and the fact of the matter is that Democrats AND Republicans killed Black people, from the KKK to other white supremacist groups in the North, West and South....many of whom had significant membership in conservative circles just as the Democrats had KKK support in certain circles. And of course, as other conservatives (be it Democrat or Republican) are aware, there's more than enough history on the reality of what has happened with systemic racism. One excellent place for basic study (as it concerns those who were conservatives doing extensive killing of Blacks) can be seen here in The Ghosts of 1898 - News & Observer (http://media2.newsobserver.com/content/media/2010/5/3/ghostsof1898.pdf )

And for other examples:

As former Confederates and Whigs began to come back into the political process, they formed the Conservative Party, which opposed federal intervention in state affairs and spoke out against the so-called “radical” reconstruction policies of the U.S. Congress. The Conservatives, who would later change their name to the Democratic Party, took control of the North Carolina General Assembly in 1870 and began to reverse some of the changes enacted by Reconstruction-era Republicans. In 1876, popular Civil War governor Zebulon Vance was returned to the state’s highest office. In the eyes of many white North Carolinians, the state had been “redeemed.”

When North Carolina, like much of the rest of the nation, was mired in a severe economic depression in the 1880s, the small farmers in the state were hit the hardest. The poor infrastructure in the state made it difficult for them to get their goods to market, and, when they did, they thought that they were not given a fair price by buyers. To compound their problems, many farmers felt that neither of the two major political parties had their best interests at heart.

Leonidas L. Polk (top) and Marion Butler were leaders of the Populist Party in North Carolina. About the photographs: Polk, Butler

The national Farmers Alliance, an organization of farmers advocating for cooperatives and economic reform, spawned smaller organizations throughout the country, with an active branch in North Carolina. The “alliancemen” were active supporters of the new People’s Party, also known as the Populist Party, led nationally by North Carolinian Leonidas LaFayette Polk.

The Populists ran several candidates in the 1892 election in North Carolina and the results were surprising. While few of their candidates were elected, they did receive a significant number of votes. In fact, the Populist vote combined with the Republican vote was greater than that for the Democrats. While the Democratic party still controlled the government, they no longer represented the majority of voters.

Anyone intellectually honest on the discussion of Liberal vs. Conservative understands that others have already noted that there's plenty of racism on the Democratic side just as there is on the Republican side (especially the side unwilling to address the KKK within their own ranks or history) and that has been the case for a long time.

On a side note, you'd probably appreciate other Civil Rights activists such as Glen Ford (who has been very vocal during this presidential term with the corruption that has occurred from the White House while also calling out a lot of the problems on the Right with others who critique inconsistently)

Beyond the Dead End of Imperial Politics - Black Agenda Report
It's not that difficult to recognize racism when you see it, including the reality of KKK past and PRESENT in the Republican party and we dishonor those who've died before us when failing to deal historically with all points. Anyone claiming it was only those who were progressives who were racist already shows the bias toward anything - and everything - conservative in revisionist history that fails to honor those murdered by conservatives who were racist. And it fails to deal with history when forgetting the many on both sides of the isle who contributed to the freedom of Blacks.

I appreciate other great minds in history like Martin Luther King, who was a Democratic Socialist and I appreciate the ways that both of them sought to address issues from the bottom up....THE SAME thing that the Founding Fathers spoke on when it came to Stock Ownership for all (which I have spoken about before herei, here and here ).

ted-howard-community-wealth-building-3-638.jpg

I was VERY frustrated/angered as a Black Hispanic when seeing how many teachers/text-books talked on supporting Dr.King for the achievements he did and speaking like they loved his work.....and yet they were all selective on the things he did which disagreed with the common U.S stance that anything not capitalist is evil. For more detail,

Dr.Martin Luther King was often called a "Communist" (wrongly) simply because of his leanings toward Democratic socialism and alternatives apart from capitalism...for both poor whites/blacks and all.

He was often harrassed due to believing the government was to play a role in aiding the poor communities it often helped to create---and called out the U.S on it when noting the extensive resources it was willing to invest in war/other endeavors while the plight of the Negro was ignored. Although he studied communists materials and disagreed at various points, he did agreed with many of the critiques on capitalism that much of the U.S refused to acknowledged.

FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover, beloved by crew-cutted conservatives of his time, called King the most notorious liar in the country. In Canaans Edge: America In The King Years 1965 & 1968, author Taylor Branch details how Hoover cultivated King as the fearsome dark symbol of the latest 20th century threat to tranquility on Main Street America—succeeding immigrants, Depression gangsters, Nazis and communists. Polite society rallied against King under the auspices of the White Citizens Councils..

1337256000000.cached.jpg

6a00d8341bf80c53ef0133f356bc38970b.jpg

Adding to this narrative were people like Alabama Governor George Wallace, who told The New York Times in 1963 that "President [Kennedy] wants us to surrender this state to Martin Luther King and his group of pro-Communists who have instituted these demonstrations." And although he was against communism, he often noted directly why it was an issue to begin with and how the U.S was to go about dealing with it. One of his best speeches can be found at A Christian view of Communism

In 1958 MLK published Stride Toward Freedom in which he gave his thoughts on everything from Gandhi to Hitler; from communism to... Nietzsche and a lot in between. As he said best:
Second, I strongly disagreed with communism;s ethical relativism. Since for the Communist there is no divine government, no absolute moral order, there are no fixed, immutable principles; consequently almost anything-force, violence, murder, lying-is a justifiable means to the millennial end. This type of relativism was abhorrent to me. Constructive ends can never give absolute moral justification to destructive means, because in the final analysis the end is preexistent in the mean.

Third, I opposed communism's political totalitarianism. In communism the individual ends up in subjection to the state. True, the Marxist would argue that the state is an interim; reality which is to be eliminated when the classless society emerges; but the state i s the end while it lasts, and man only a means to that end. And if any man ;s so-called rights or liberties stand in the way of that end, they are simply swept aside. His liberties of expression, his freedom to vote, his freedom to listen to what news he likes or to choose his books are all restricted. Man becomes hardly more, in communism, than a depersonalized cog in the turning wheel of the state.This deprecation of individual freedom was objectionable to me. I am convinced now, as I was then, that man is an end because he is a child of God.

Man is not made for the state; the state is made for man.

Dr. King speaks for himself

The ways that attacks were given toward king by conservatives often seems to echo in our politics today, as it concerns using buzz terms meant to get others incensed before even seeing what's said (like poisoning the well), calling opponents anti-American, communist or hell-bent on destroying the Constitution....indeed, that is worth caution and condemnation.

And what's interesting, in regards to Jim Crow Laws, is that the lack of ability for blacks to start businesses and be treated fairly with having their property rights respected.....it actually led to Blacks finding other models beyond what Capitalism had to offer. Specifically, if wanting more historical documentation, Anticommunism and the African American Freedom Movement is truly one of the best reads on the subject, if ever interested enough to take time and buy it. The other one that may give some food for thought would be Black Struggle, Red Scare: Segregation and Anti-Communism in the South, 1948-1968.

It was often the Communist party that was influential in aiding oppressed blacks/minorities in the American system..

But of course, this cannot be discussed if there's any kind of dedication to discuss only those things favoring your own political camp.....and ignoring the fact that Blacks had a very complicated history with both Democrats and Republicans often not being favored.
If you're gonna teach history, then one must be honorable and teach all sides of it - and not condemn teachers aware of the other sides of it that other teachers don't want to discuss in the classroom.

Those outside of Black culture tend to be ignorant of what actually occurred with Blacks and I am glad for the many Black conservatives who call out the mess for what it is (regarding people misrepresenting conservatism via focusing only on Liberal or Democrats as the problem while trying to sanitize the Right's history when it comes to Mob violence, lynchings/killings of blacks and many other things that Black Republicans had to do battle with other White Republicans who dishonored the other White Republicans fighting on behalf of Blacks). And for historical reference on what happened, as said best with regards to the Black and Tan Republicans inBlack and Tan Republicans | The Black Past: Remembered:

Black and Tan Republicans were African Americans in the Reconstruction-era South who were loyal to the Republican Party. When the Republican Party was founded in 1854, few African Americans joined. By the time of the election of Abraham Lincoln, the Party began to attract support from Northern blacks including, crucially, Frederick Douglass. That support grew in the late 1860s as some Southern blacks, now voting, cast ballots for the Republicans.

After the 15th Amendment was passed in 1870 allowing most of the black males in the former Confederate states to vote, the Republican Party (also now known as the Grand Old Party or GOP) commanded the loyalty of an overwhelming majority of African Americas, prompting Frederick Douglass to remark that for them, "The Republican Party was the ship and all else was the sea."

Many of the newly enfranchised Southern black men now formed "Black and Tan" clubs, which along with similar organizations like the Union League, helped to institutionally tie these voters to the Republican Party.

Black Republican votes were also driven by white terror. Beginning with the founding of the Ku Klux Klan in 1866 and escalating through the late 1860s and 1870s, Southern whites used violence to intimidate black would-be voters which at first helped solidify their allegiance to the GOP. Thousands of black voters were murdered in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina. White terrorists also intimidated and ostracized Southern whites who supported the Republican Party. They harassed the children of white Republicans in schools and isolated the wives of prominent white Republicans in churches and social clubs. On many occasions direct violence, usually reserved for African American Republican voters, was used on white Party activists as well.

The violence and intimidation of black and white voters, often called the "shotgun policy" or the "Mississippi Plan," destroyed the effectiveness of the Republican Party in most areas of the South as an alternative to one-party (Democratic) rule. Whites left the GOP and rejoined the Democrats or quit politics. Blacks who continued to vote did so at the risk of being killed.

White Republicans who remained in the Party were increasingly convinced that they could survive politically only by removing black GOP officeholders and leaders and in some instances by jettisoning black voters altogether. These Republicans, known as the "Lilly Whites," fought the Black and Tan Republicans for control of the Party. They remained warring factions until the 1930s when African Americans deserted the GOP to support the policies and administration of Democratic President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Moreover, as another noted wisely:

White supremacist Southern Democrats were a key part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal Coalition. They used their large numbers, unity and seniority to exclude as many black people from as much of the New Deal benefits and protections as possible and to stop the federal government from doing anything about lynching. Then the black freedom movement and white allies insisted on civil rights. In reactionary response, those white southern Democrats left the Democratic Party en masse, as evidenced by Strom Thurmond’s Dixiecrat presidential campaign in 1948 and Richard Nixon’s opposition to school busing and play for segregationist Alabama Gov. George Wallace’s constituency.

White southern Democrats were explicit about their racism, and it’s no mystery that they left the party when it yielded to civil rights movement pressure, and as blacks began to make up a larger part of its constituency.

The 1948 Dixiecrat platform was pretty clear (http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=25851 ):

“We oppose the elimination of segregation, the repeal of miscegenation statutes, the control of private employment by Federal bureaucrats called for by the misnamed civil rights program. We favor home-rule, local self-government and a minimum interference with individual rights…We oppose and condemn the action of the Democratic Convention in sponsoring a civil rights program calling for the elimination of segregation, social equality by Federal fiat, regulations of private employment practices, voting, and local law enforcement.”
Sharecropper and civil rights leader Fannie Lou Hamer didn’t mince words either as she led the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party challenge in 1964 to her state’s segregationist and all-white delegation:

“If the Freedom Democratic Party is not seated now, I question America,” Famer concluded after detailing the horrific abuses and threats she and others had endured for simply trying to register black people to vote. “Is this America, the land of the free and the home of the brave, where we have to sleep with our telephones off the hooks because our lives be threatened daily, because we want to live as decent human beings, in America?”

Additionally, And as another noted wisely:

First, Republicans don’t like being called out on their Jim Crow voting laws or their Stand Your Ground gun laws that frequently do not get interpreted the same for black people or women as they do for the whitest man in the room (highest ranker on the patriarchy scale).

They know it’s “bad” to be a racist, and so they will deny the white hood while hiding under the deflection that Democrats wore it first way back in the late 1860s when it was founded by six veterans of the Confederate Army. Yes, Democrats were a big part of the original KKK over 150 years ago. But Democrats were on the other side in 1948 with the addition of civil rights as a campaign plank and on into the fights for Civil Rights in the 60s, losing Southern white voters to the Republican Party. But really, what matters when you are voting is where each party stands TODAY. (The KKK had a resurgence in the 20s by white protestants angry at industrialization and immigration and high on Prohibition and the Bible, and a third big incarnation in reaction to the Civil Rights movement.)

Moreover, on the history of Blacks impacted by conservatives and lynchings (for a brief excerpt) FROM William Borah (https://thebluereview.org/william-borah-lynching-history/ )
:

In the South, “states’ rights” has long been code for preserving white supremacy. Out West, it translates more simply into “don’t tread on me.” Dixie’s lasting resentment of federal interference emerged from its struggle to preserve slavery; Idaho’s roots back to territorial days when D.C.’s heavy hand lay upon its government appointees, Indian policy and lands. Ninety years ago, Idaho possessed the smallest black population percentage-wise in the West; the South had the largest in the nation. Nevertheless, under a states’ rights banner, Idaho served as the south’s passionate partner in jointly killing federal anti-lynching legislation. If one includes North and South Dakota as part of the West, then they tied for fewest blacks in the west in 1920, with 0.1% to Idaho’s 0.2 percent.

LYNCHING: PSEUDO-SANCTIONED TERRORISM IN THE SOUTH

In 1920 the Republican Party finally added antilynching legislation to its official platform. After years of empty promises to northern black voters, leaders knew that black loyalty to the party of Lincoln was strained. The spike in mob-induced lynchings and bloody race riots the previous year had earned 1919 the name “Red Summer.” That, and the shameful lynching of several black soldiers newly home from war—some murdered in uniform—helped force the GOP’s hand. With widespread public support in 1922, the GOP embraced Representative Leonidas Dyer’s (R-MO) antilynching bill.

Without Sanctuary
Lynching photo, circa 1920, from the extensive collection at Without Sanctuary.

Lynching had become the white South’s key terrorist tool of social control. Its purpose extended beyond punishing any one individual. Rather, perpetrators aimed to intimidate an entire community into compliance with a white supremacist social order. Lynchings were public events—spectacles of horrific torture (sexual mutilation, burning at the stake, beatings, hangings) that drew white onlookers in droves, some with picnic baskets. Though technically illegal even in the South, these hate crimes occurred with the tacit support of local officials, making prosecutions rare. This sent blacks a clear message: stay in your place or risk death for you and your loved ones. The message to whites: enjoy your legal immunity and do what you will. With large populations of blacks concentrated in the South, this pseudo-sanctioned terrorism enforced a fear-based conformity to the Jim Crow system and thwarted blacks from amassing easily in their own defense.

President Warren G. Harding endorsed Dyer’s 1922 antilynching campaign, promising to sign the bill when it reached his desk. And blacks, who had advocated such action for decades, felt the moment was ripe. Southern Democrats (Dixiecrats) controlled powerful seats on congressional committees, and swore they’d use every means available to stop federal interference against lynching, but Republicans dominated both houses of Congress as well as the White House. Large black migrations from south to north also meant increased black voter pressure upon Republican officials in some urban northeastern and midwestern districts. If a united GOP truly wanted legislation passed, it could have likely gotten it through Congress. As a positive first step, the House easily approved Dyer’s bill 230 to 119, despite objections from Representative Burton French, a Republican from of Idaho.

Library of Congress
William “Lion of Idaho” Borah.

“If you’re in favor of Lynching! Endorse Borah!” See a 1936 photograph of black protestors outside a Borah campaign stop at the Kismet Templehere.When the bill moved to the Senate, a handful of mostly Western progressive Republicans from predominantly white states opposed it. Led by William Borah, the “Lion of Idaho” and a constitutional expert, they created a powerful states’ rights alliance with Dixiecrats to stop Dyer. Much like onlookers at a mob lynching, the impassioned actions of these forces drew the lukewarm apathy of other Republican senators willing to let the bill die. Borah’s silver tongue laid out the states’ rights position against the bill more effectively than could southern Democrats. The influential Idahoan’s constitutional and federalist arguments helped distance the cause of “states rights” from the South’s ugly racial animus, while adding a patriotic flourish. In the process, Borah performed like the South’s defense attorney, depicting its white citizens as the real victims who were doing their best to cope with a racial mess the North bequeathed them after the Civil War.

Dyer’s bill would have criminalized state refusals to enforce equal-protection laws with respect to safeguarding people from mob-based murders. Read the bill.Whenever local officials failed to pursue and prosecute a lynching case, the federal government would be able to step in and hold them accountable. Counties that permitted lynching would also be fined $10,000 as compensation for the victims’ families.

Advocates contended that lynch-loving localities were violating victims’ 14thAmendment rights to equal protection under the law, justifying federal involvement. In situations where blacks were strung up for trying to vote, the intent of the 15thAmendment became a casualty, too. And the recently passed 18th Amendment, prohibiting the manufacture, sale, and distribution of alcohol, created clear precedent for Washington’s interference into state law enforcement matters.

BORAH: SMALL GOVERNMENT PROGRESSIVISM VS. CIVIL RIGHTS

To Borah, who condoned federal policing of prohibition, the 18th amendment was a rare exception to the Constitution’s states’ rights rule.The 17th Amendment, which permitted the direct election of senators, was another rare exception for Borah. On most other issues, the church-going booze-foreswearing Republican wedded his progressivism to a fierce protection of states’ rights in the 10th Amendment. Borah had championed many causes he hoped would enhance the liberty and moral lives of average Americans. Along with prohibition, these included women’s suffrage, anti-immigration laws, direct election of senators, civil liberties, anti-imperialism, a graduated income tax and antitrust efforts. His devotion to the founders’ federal system inspired the special favor he bestowed on states’ rights. Unlike with his Southern friends, race was not his prime motivation. Borah felt that America’s system of government, and basic responsibilities of citizenship, would be compromised if the federal government encroached too far. Therefore, women’s suffrage received Borah’s support so long as women used a state-by-state approach. Much like on the Dyer bill, he voted against the federal women’s suffrage amendment because he deemed voting rights a state’s prerogative. He stood similarly on immigrant matters, backing California’s right to ban Japanese from owning land or attending public schools. Conversely, prohibition required federal action, he reasoned, because of interstate liquor commerce. Wet states could hamper a neighboring dry state’s enforcement efforts without a federal law, whereas states without women’s suffrage, for instance, could not impede those that allowed it. With respect to lynching, states must be left to police themselves; if Dyer passed, lives might be saved but American federalism—the key to liberty—would be lost.

via History Matters
1922 NAACP ad advocating for Dyer’s antilynching bill asks voters to “telegraph your senators today.”

In addition to taking a states’ rights stand against the Dyer bill, Borah argued that the Supreme Court would deem it unconstitutional. Justices had already ruled that the 14thAmendment only covered state actions, not those of local officials or individuals such as lynch mobs. But other bright legal minds disagreed—including the U.S. Attorney General—and wanted Dyer passed to test the court. Indeed, with the original grandfather clauses (designed to suppress the black vote) recently felled by the bench, change appeared to be afoot. Clearly by the late 1930s, as Borah continued opposing new antilynching bills, the conservative court was beginning to bend.

Although Borah’s states’ rights philosophy was not racially driven at its core, his brand of small-government Progressivism often protected anti-black policies by advocating inaction on blacks’ behalf. The senator’s personal belief in Anglo Saxon superiority certainly affected his stands on the suffrage amendment and Dyer bill, too. So did his political aspirations. When angry suffragists confronted him, as the only senator representing a suffrage state to oppose the federal amendment (Idaho women got the vote in 1896), he explained that he simply could not, in good conscience, force upon the South the enfranchisement of ignorant black women against its will. Repeal the 15thAmendment first, which outlawed racial voting barriers, and he’d be happy to support a federal amendment for white women. Passage of the 15th Amendment (1870) had been a mistake anyway, he asserted, done in a fit of Northern vengeance against the Confederacy. It put the South into the understandable position of using legal tricks to disenfranchise culturally inferior, unqualified blacks—a situation for which the federal government bore much blame, Borah argued. Through poll taxes, literacy tests and other deterrents, Borah felt Southerners were merely doing what was necessary to keep the unfit legally off the roles. Certainly white suffragists could understand his logic, he queried. “We did,” a suffrage leader replied, after a visit to his chambers. “We all guessed he had his eyes on the White House.” They were right.At a Boise rally, suffragist Harriet Stanton Blatch noted perceptively, “if Senator Borah thinks the amendments his party passed are not enforced and yet ought to be, why has he not fought steadily ever since he has been in the senate for the accomplishment of his beliefs?”

Privately, Borah celebrated how his positions won favor across the South. Such affection could prove indispensable in a run for the presidency. Borah may well have been the South’s favorite adopted son. Though he did not verbally condone lynching, occasionally chastised the South’s disrespect for law and order on this front and even helped rescue two black Boiseans from a lynch mob in Nampa, Idaho in 1903, Borah adamantly opposed the federal government’s involvement in local police matters. If they could intrude to stop lynching, what would be next? Outlawing racial segregation in public education? Herein, Borah stood squarely with California’s senators who, during the suffrage and Dyer bill debates, defended their quest to restrict liberties for Japanese residents. As Borah exclaimed, “I have no desire… to bestow the franchise on the 10,000 Japanese on the Pacific slope or yield up to the federal government the control of the school questions of the Pacific coast. I would count myself derelict to those great Pacific states and to the framework of our government if I were to here set a precedent as to who shall own property in the states.” In doing so, he also placed himself with the South on race. To help solidify this Western and Southern alliance, Representative Finis Garrett (D-TN), affirmed, “Whatever you people in the West decide to do in working out your [racial] problem, we of the South will understand.”

Southerners’ affection for Borah, and willingness to let him argue their states’ rights stance on race, lasted long after his death in 1940. Amid the 1958 school integration crisis in Little Rock, Arkansas, the Alabama newspaper publisher Col. Harry Ayers used Idaho’s Lion to defend the white South’s fury over federally-forced integration and urge the feds to back off. In a letter published in Pocatello’s Idaho State Journal, the newsman quoted a Borah speech from 1938 against antilynching legislation. The senator had pled for patience and empathy toward the white South, along with respect for the region’s states’ rights, as it managed its delicate “race problem.” Education, not federal involvement, was Borah’s remedy for white violence and local leaders who flouted the law. Meanwhile, to blacks Borah generally dispensed Horatio Alger advice: self-help. After admitting frankly in a 1911 speech that blacks faced brutal discrimination in both the North and South, he told them they should not expect special help from Congress beyond protections currently in the Constitution. Blacks would simply have to raise themselves up to white cultural standards, and win white respect in the process. Southerners loved the speech. As one Borah biographer wrote, “it was probably almost as pleasing to Southerners as his justification of a statue of [General Robert E.] Lee in the Hall of Fame.”

“The Rise of the Ku Klux Klan!” from an April 1916 ad in the Idaho Statesman.

Coming from a predominantly white state, Borah risked little hometown offense with such positions. Northern colleagues with sizeable black constituencies could lose votes by inciting their displeasure. But when the national NAACP campaigned against Borah through the 1930s as he continued fighting antilynching bills, he proceeded unscathed. White Idahoans generally shared Borah’s conception of race, states rights and post Civil War history—positions popularized by the 1915 filmBirth of a Nation, which played to great fanfare across Idaho.

When national politicians spoke of Borah as potential presidential timber, even Idaho’s small black population sometimes let local pride and historic loyalty to the GOP trump their displeasure with him. A straw-poll-for-president fundraiser in 1928, sponsored by Pocatello’s black Bethel Baptist Church, declared Borah the winner with 98.5 votes—three more than Democrat Al Smith. Black Boiseans also felt a tempered fondness. His evening strolls from the Owyhee hotel led him directly into the River Street neighborhood that whites dubbed “Colored Town.” Whether he came for the pleasant front-porch conversations, or for the brothels that drew many of Boise’s rich and powerful, remains unknown.

Borah inflicted damage on the Dyer bill through more than his skilled oratory, courting of the press and keen legal mind. As a top Washington powerbroker who chaired the judiciary subcommittee considering the bill, he delayed its exit from committee while leading the group of Senate lawyers who recommended the bill be held back. Though it eventually received an 8 to 6 vote to move forward, these delays, combined with a no-holds-barred filibuster from Dixiecrats that stymied all Senate business, helped run down the clock on the 1922 legislative session. Republicans who still wanted to pass other bills let Dyer’s die in order that theirs could live. The New York Times also reported that several were willing to sacrifice the Dyer bill after witnessing the contention it caused in the House.

Senator Borah thrust Idaho into a powerful states’ rights alliance with the South on racial matters. Though not as single-minded as Dixiecrats here, he nevertheless helped preserve, protect and defend domestic terrorists on American soil. Borah convinced himself that he was safeguarding America’s federalist system of government. He equated states’ rights with patriotic protection of Constitutional law, as he assumed the founders intended. From another viewpoint, Borah participated in undercutting the country’s international image, constitutional integrity and animating vision. He willingly abandoned law and order to the will of prejudiced mobs—to a “tyranny of the majority” that Alexis de Tocqueville warned a century earlier could become America’s Achilles’ heel. Regardless of Borah’s motives, his championing of states’ rights on racial matters during the peak of the Jim Crow era strengthened the white South’s hand in its race-based fight, and delayed justice for black Americans. Republicans’ failure to deliver antilynching legislation also triggered the start of black defections from the GOP. This political realignment accelerated throughout the century as Northern white Democrats started to support civil rights. In the post-1960s years, states-rights conservatives from the west and south led the backlash against civil rights advances such as affirmative action and federal voting rights laws.

In June 2005, the U.S. Senate officially apologized for never passing antilynching legislation. Approximately 80 of 100 senators joined the effort as co-sponsors by the day of the vote. Among those initially declining and refusing a roll-call vote were eight Southerners and eight Westerners, including Mike Crapo of Idaho. Eventually, both of Idaho’s senators affixed their names.

For other places of study, one can go toKu Klux Klan: A History of Racism and Violence - Southern Poverty Law Center ( https://www.splcenter.org/sites/default/files/Ku-Klux-Klan-A-History-of-Racism.pdf )

There are many other places besides that one can look into, but the bottom line is that anyone unable to deal with where Conservatives have had an extensive history of avoiding blacks in the Republican Party (just as they have had a history of avoiding people in the Democratic party). Anyone unable to handle that tends to reveal where they are unfortunately unable to deal with the same issues of racism impacting blacks that Blacks noted to be an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: PassionFruit
Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Everything you've posted thus far is nothing but "Democrats are the real racists!" narrative. This thread is specifically dealing with Jim Crow and it's impact. I'm not here for "They started it first!" If you wanna discuss that, then start your own thread, don't come here derailing the topic at hand.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everything you've posted thus far is nothing but "Democrats are the real racists!" narrative. This thread is specifically dealing with Jim Crow and it's impact. I'm not here for "They started it first!" If you wanna discuss that, then start your own thread, don't come here derailing the topic at hand.

That has to be the most disingenuous response I have ever seen posted here, or anywhere. Everything I posted is a matter of history, and every word is connected to the very history you asked about in the OP. If you didn't want to know the history of Jim Crow laws, who crafted them and why, who supported them and why, and who it was actually involved in institutionalizing the very racism you decry, why did you ask?

Apparently all you want to do is engage in straw men. In other words, placing quotation marks around words I never said and then arguing as if I did.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Not a problem (as I know you've spoken before on the matter) - and as I said before, I don't make a point of being surprised or concerned with anything that shows an inability to actually do objective discussions on all facets of an issue. Facts are facts - and the fact of the matter is that Democrats AND Republicans killed Black people, from the KKK to other white supremacist groups in the North, West and South....many of whom had significant membership in conservative circles just as the Democrats had KKK support in certain circles. And of course, as other conservatives (be it Democrat or Republican) are aware, there's more than enough history on the reality of what has happened with systemic racism.

Exactly!!! I'm not here for "well it was them who really started it, so they're the real racist!" nonesense. Both parties supported and fought to uphold Jim Crow. These facts weren't denied.

Anyone intellectually honest on the discussion of Liberal vs. Conservative understands that others have already noted that there's plenty of racism on the Democratic side just as there is on the Republican side (especially the side unwilling to address the KKK within their own ranks or history) and that has been the case for a long time.

Right. My position is this, when there's discussion about Jim Crow, it goes beyond Republican/Democrat binary. Approaching it in such a way only reduces violence inflicted upon marginalized groups to mere political party fighting is nothing short of insulting.

I was VERY frustrated/angered as a Black Hispanic when seeing how many teachers/text-books talked on supporting Dr.King for the achievements he did and speaking like they loved his work.....and yet they were all selective on the things he did which disagreed with the common U.S stance that anything not capitalist is evil. For more detail,

Oh don't get me started on this! The whitewashing of Dr. King is something that angers me. This also why there aren't any meaningful discussions about institutionalized racism in the mainstream media. People are so quick to quote Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech, acting as though he didn't think race was important. These same people probably never actually picked up a book to learn about Dr. King and what he had to deal with. Here is one of his "controversial" quotes that I like:

"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Letter From a Birmingham Jail.

https://www.africa.upenn.edu/Articles_Gen/Letter_Birmingham.html

He was often harrassed due to believing the government was to play a role in aiding the poor communities it often helped to create---and called out the U.S on it when noting the extensive resources it was willing to invest in war/other endeavors while the plight of the Negro was ignored. Although he studied communists materials and disagreed at various points, he did agreed with many of the critiques on capitalism that much of the U.S refused to acknowledged.

Absolutely. That's another example of how Dr. King is whitewashed, he was very critical of capitalism and America's foreign policy. He was really hated when he came out and condemned the Vietnam War.

Those outside of Black culture tend to be ignorant of what actually occurred with Blacks and I am glad for the many Black conservatives who call out the mess for what it is (regarding people misrepresenting conservatism via focusing only on Liberal or Democrats as the problem while trying to sanitize the Right's history when it comes to Mob violence, lynchings/killings of blacks and many other things that Black Republicans had to do battle with other White Republicans who dishonored the other White Republicans fighting on behalf of Blacks).

Just from an anecdotal perspective, there are a lot of Black people who identify as Conservatives. I have several families who fit this mold. But the reason why they don't immediately align themselves with the Republican party is due to their outward racism. Like I said, at least they're open about their contempt.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...trying to sanitize the Right's history when it comes to Mob violence...

Post an example of what you believe to be right wing mob violence.

...lynchings/killings of blacks and many other things that Black Republicans had to do battle with other White Republicans who dishonored the other White Republicans fighting on behalf of Blacks).

Post an example of the other other white Republicans doing battle with other white Republicans over lynchings. I have already posted an example of Republican efforts to pass an anti-lynching bill and the opposition they met. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Exactly!!! I'm not here for "well it was them who really started it, so they're the real racist!" nonesense. Both parties supported and fought to uphold Jim Crow. These facts weren't denied.

Yet you haven't posted any. And for the second time, please post an example of Republican party open contempt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Jim Crow laws were enacted to enforce segregation. Many only know these laws as "separate but equal" and things like separate drinking fountains. However, Jim Crow wasn't only laws, it was a way of life and violating Jim Crow etiquette could would result in violence.

I bolded that last part because mainstream history doesn't seem to go much into detail as to what happened after slavery. Also there's not much emphasis on the full extent of Jim Crow.

Hi,

I am glad you are still here. I love your Avatar picture.

Anyway, thanks for being interested in Jim Crow Laws, and the subject of racism in general.

Outing myself on purpose to you, I love what freeing the so called blacks taught others about about fighting for what is right in a rather Ghandi, or Jesus, peaceful way.

I am transgendered. Thus, my group is just now, in the beginning stages, of not being treated the way that most of the African Americans were treated like, even after the Civil War, up until 1950, but by some still, the way they are still treated incorrectly as, even today.,

No.

No, I will not shift over to my condition, and conditions, other than to say: "I love being transgendered in this sense. It allows me to understand the plight of others sometimes."

I love what you are doing.

The ridiculousness of what The Supreme Court did, in Separate but Equal, is appalling in that, even they, the smartest people in our whole country supposedly, even they are incorrect in some of their past decisions.

As I understood it, the entire African American community put every person they could find, independent of natural abilities or talent, rather willingness won out, into law school to become lawyers.

As I understood it, only when they had enough people, to fight the same way the government fought them, that it was shown and proven, THAT SEPARATE CAN NEVER BE EQUAL.

The changes in Afrcans Americans, from my researchers eyes, LOVES the effects now, 60+, years later.

What is still called blacks against my will, as no person in the world has black skin, but only a shade of brown and whites are really a shade of pink or brown usually, they those Americans of African American descent, their American Privelege is now enforced by what is still called white people, at the same level that white people have white Privelege and white privileges, but in many, not all places and spaces in America, only in many of those places, to most of those places now.

I watch. I love that. It took more than 60 years though, since Separate but Equal was struck down.

LOVE,

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I am glad you are still here. I love your Avatar picture.

Anyway, thanks for being interested in Jim Crow Laws, and the subject of racism in general.

Outing myself on purpose to you, I love what freeing the so called blacks taught others about about fighting for what is right in a rather Ghandi, or Jesus, peaceful way.

I am transgendered. Thus, my group is just now, in the beginning stages, of not being treated the way that most of the African Americans were treated like, even after the Civil War, up until 1950, but by some still, the way they are still treated incorrectly as, even today.,

Thank you very much for your contribution.

I definitely agree with you about transgender issues. If I was still as active on this forum as I was when I first joined I would have raised the issue. What I see mostly is that people who are transgender are more at risk of being targets of violence, more likely to be unemployed,etc. I try to be aware of these issues. Hope to see more contributions from you. *waves*

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Thank you very much for your contribution.

I definitely agree with you about transgender issues. If I was still as active on this forum as I was when I first joined I would have raised the issue. What I see mostly is that people who are transgender are more at risk of being targets of violence, more likely to be unemployed,etc. I try to be aware of these issues. Hope to see more contributions from you. *waves*

Hi,

Actually that Supreme Court that I am not so entirely fond of for their Separate but Equal decision in the past, and Caitlyn Jenner, and of all things Obama, in telling Medicare to re-evaluate the science again concerning Transgender, has made my status as legally transgendered, maybe like free slaves in the past versus non free slaves, all of those have started to set us free now.

However, what your group struggled with and did, even today, teaches, informs, encourages those of us who are still killed at random, and denied equal rights also, to keep on and on through all of that, until those either kill us all off, to try and eliminate their incorrect positions, or like happened to your group, and is actually being seen in the transgendered group, the younger generation, along with those in the older generation who actually do understand, are asking and pushing for change everywhere also.

I still like and love your work. Somehow, your information is my information.

It really hurts when I see from you and others the depths of depravity that some people have gone to, to hurt themselves, in the historical accounts of all that was done to the African Americans, under the guise of whatever they used back then, to see African Americans as THINGS, rather than humans like themselves.,

Yes, like in the forties, I can walk in some places, and have no assurances of not being killed, as if I was an African American, in the past.

I can also walk into a country on this planet earth, and instantly have the death penalty applied to me, if I reveal to them that I am an African American, OOPS!, No, that was last century for them, IF I LET THEM KNOW THAT I AM TRANSGENDERED.

Do you see what a gift it is to have the struggles of the African Americans, as public knowledge to others in this world?

Their pain is detestable and horrid, in what was done to them. It should not have to be repeated in anyone.

Jackson, President Jackson and others, did similar horrors to the American Indians back then. He stole land from Indians in Georgia for gold THAT was there, and used the government against them, similar in kind to Seperate but Equal.

Jim Crow laws although horrible, are still repeated in other groups.

I like to hear about them, for I did not know about them before reading your posting.

Thanks.

LOVE,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married

There is much more at stake than a blame game.
My dog in this fight is the fact that Blacks traditional voting goes to the Democrats.

The Democrats traditional stance on Aborition is pro choice.

As a percentage more Black children are victims of abortion due to the intentional location of Planned Parenthood clinics.

I am not promoting the Republican party, but for the most part they are pro life,and that slows the pace of Blacks being killed.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My dog in this fight is the fact that Blacks traditional voting goes to the Democrats.

As a percentage more Black children are victims of abortion due to the intentional location of Planned Parenthood clinics.

I am not promoting the Republican party, but for the most part they are pro life,and that slows the pace of Blacks being killed.
That actually is not the case and one of the more common myths when ignoring the history of Democrats against abortion and the history of Republicans who've consistently been Pro-Choice in the party - as simply saying "I'm pro-life" doesn't mean you promote policies in practice interested in actually helping out single mothers taking care of children. Despite claiming to be “pro-life,” in its policies and accumulated legislative actions, there has been a consistent amount of harm done when cutting governmental entitlement programs, thereby eliminating the safety net support systems from our elders, people with disabilities, etc....and with the excessive locking up of black fathers and discrimination that has done, black children grow up without fathers and it adds to the cycle.

I was surprised seeing many Republicans trying to take "moral high ground" with Democrats over the years by claiming they alone were for "pro-life"--despite the fact that there were extensive amounts of Republicans who were Pro-Choice (the former governor, Arnold, being one of them) and that many in their policies supported abortion by default due to the ways impoverishment often impacts decisions to abort...and many have noted that for awhile concerning the need to focus on economic support for pregnant women and greater access to adoption. Something many social programs have been good at which were in their minds of many Republicans as needing to be "cut" when it came to reducing government programs/spending.

And I'm still amazed at how many are unaware at the many Republicans who've worked with Democrats when it comes to being against abortion and zealously Pro-Life. The group known as "Democrats For Life of America" comes to mind and has been one of the most consistent/aggressive in calling out things in the Democratic party as well as fighting for the unborn...

With the traditional Democrats who are pro-life:

And for an excerpt on the history of Planned Parenthood and Republicans:

But the reason Planned Parenthood exists and even receives federal dollars in the first place is largely because Republicans got it off the ground.

When birth control was legalized, Republicans helped expand access to contraception for low-income people because they recognized its economic value to women, families,
and taxpayers. Even when abortion was legalized through Roe v. Wade, a women's right to choose wasn't immediately a partisan issue—or much of an issue at all.

Over the past few decades, the Republican Party has shifted further right—and the politics behind this evolution explain why the GOP is trying to stop the very thing that they started 45 years ago.

From Nixon using abortion legislation to strategically woo Catholics to lobbyists deliberately linking family planning to abortion in the '90s, the Republican long game to court a new voter base was nothing if not effective. Today, it's almost impossible to be a pro-choice Republican running for any major political office. And across the country, state-level efforts to restrict abortion access are powering forward: in Texas, the number of abortion providers dropped from 40 to eight in a little over a year.

Though reproductive rights seem to be disappearing before our eyes, the secret Republican history of Planned Parenthood tells a different story—namely that it doesn't have to be this way, because it hasn't always been.

mcx-pp-1920.jpg

Design by Katja Cho
The organization was an affiliate of the American Birth Control League, which would eventually become Planned Parenthood.

mcx-pp-1937.jpg

Design by Katja Cho
mcx-pp-1947.jpg

The same year, former Republican President Eisenhower (who said just six years earlier that it's not the government's "business" to support birth control) serves as co-chairman of a Planned Parenthood committee with Harry Truman. In a 1968 address to Congress, then-Congressman George H.W. Bush advocates for government support of family planning programs, citing statistics from a Planned Parenthood clinic.

mcx-pp-1970.jpg

Design by Katja Cho
The federal grant program, which provides planning services to low-income families, was championed by President Nixon and George H.W. Bush (who was such a vocal supporter of birth control that he was supposedly nicknamed "Rubbers"). The funds have never been used to provide abortions because of provisions written into the law.

Blacks don't all vote Democrat in majority and many get bothered when seeing people stereotype an entire group on the matter. And Blacks are still being killed by others in Republican parties (just as they have been in the Democratic one) and I don't care to make someone's life political when it comes to trying to demonize Democrats and say "Republicans will save you!" since it insults the Blacks who were not saved. Being the son of a Black single mother who became an OB-Gyn (who also was blessed with assistance/safety net programs) and had to deal with many Republicans who were Pro-Choice in actions, it is not a small issue. When you destroy any kind of assistance in programs or funding to initiatives that help out communities with single mothers, you are just as responsible for the abortions that do happen - no one is innocent. People who are black have often been on their own side and don't care to be divided down the middle between either Democrats or Republicans when Planned Parenthood has gotten funding from both - and whenever I see others in the Republican party benefiting from abortion (be it people like Ben Carson or what happened with Romney and Stericycle/profitting off of aborted fetuses), it bothers me....Life is Life..

But of course, when it comes to the main topic, we need to respect what PassionFruit/the author has said: If the focus is on Jim Crow wherever it's found, then we need to stay focused on that topic - and that's never a blame game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat

Just because someone identifies as pro-life doesn't mean they actually value the lives of Black children.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
That actually is not the case and one of the more common myths when ignoring the history of Democrats against abortion and the history of Republicans who've consistently been Pro-Choice in the party - as simply saying "I'm pro-life" doesn't mean you promote policies in practice interested in actually helping out single mothers taking care of children. Despite claiming to be “pro-life,” in its policies and accumulated legislative actions, there has been a consistent amount of harm done when cutting governmental entitlement programs, thereby eliminating the safety net support systems from our elders, people with disabilities, etc....and with the excessive locking up of black fathers and discrimination that has done, black children grow up without fathers and it adds to the cycle.

I was surprised seeing many Republicans trying to take "moral high ground" with Democrats over the years by claiming they alone were for "pro-life"--despite the fact that there were extensive amounts of Republicans who were Pro-Choice (the former governor, Arnold, being one of them) and that many in their policies supported abortion by default due to the ways impoverishment often impacts decisions to abort...and many have noted that for awhile concerning the need to focus on economic support for pregnant women and greater access to adoption. Something many social programs have been good at which were in their minds of many Republicans as needing to be "cut" when it came to reducing government programs/spending.

And I'm still amazed at how many are unaware at the many Republicans who've worked with Democrats when it comes to being against abortion and zealously Pro-Life. The group known as "Democrats For Life of America" comes to mind and has been one of the most consistent/aggressive in calling out things in the Democratic party as well as fighting for the unborn...

With the traditional Democrats who are pro-life:

And for an excerpt on the history of Planned Parenthood and Republicans:

But the reason Planned Parenthood exists and even receives federal dollars in the first place is largely because Republicans got it off the ground.

When birth control was legalized, Republicans helped expand access to contraception for low-income people because they recognized its economic value to women, families,
and taxpayers. Even when abortion was legalized through Roe v. Wade, a women's right to choose wasn't immediately a partisan issue—or much of an issue at all.

Over the past few decades, the Republican Party has shifted further right—and the politics behind this evolution explain why the GOP is trying to stop the very thing that they started 45 years ago.

From Nixon using abortion legislation to strategically woo Catholics to lobbyists deliberately linking family planning to abortion in the '90s, the Republican long game to court a new voter base was nothing if not effective. Today, it's almost impossible to be a pro-choice Republican running for any major political office. And across the country, state-level efforts to restrict abortion access are powering forward: in Texas, the number of abortion providers dropped from 40 to eight in a little over a year.

Though reproductive rights seem to be disappearing before our eyes, the secret Republican history of Planned Parenthood tells a different story—namely that it doesn't have to be this way, because it hasn't always been.

mcx-pp-1920.jpg

Design by Katja Cho
The organization was an affiliate of the American Birth Control League, which would eventually become Planned Parenthood.

mcx-pp-1937.jpg

Design by Katja Cho
mcx-pp-1947.jpg

The same year, former Republican President Eisenhower (who said just six years earlier that it's not the government's "business" to support birth control) serves as co-chairman of a Planned Parenthood committee with Harry Truman. In a 1968 address to Congress, then-Congressman George H.W. Bush advocates for government support of family planning programs, citing statistics from a Planned Parenthood clinic.

mcx-pp-1970.jpg

Design by Katja Cho
The federal grant program, which provides planning services to low-income families, was championed by President Nixon and George H.W. Bush (who was such a vocal supporter of birth control that he was supposedly nicknamed "Rubbers"). The funds have never been used to provide abortions because of provisions written into the law.

Blacks don't all vote Democrat in majority and many get bothered when seeing people stereotype an entire group on the matter. And Blacks are still being killed by others in Republican parties (just as they have been in the Democratic one) and I don't care to make someone's life political when it comes to trying to demonize Democrats and say "Republicans will save you!" since it insults the Blacks who were not saved. Being the son of a Black single mother who became an OB-Gyn (who also was blessed with assistance/safety net programs) and had to deal with many Republicans who were Pro-Choice in actions, it is not a small issue. When you destroy any kind of assistance in programs or funding to initiatives that help out communities with single mothers, you are just as responsible for the abortions that do happen - no one is innocent. People who are black have often been on their own side and don't care to be divided down the middle between either Democrats or Republicans when Planned Parenthood has gotten funding from both - and whenever I see others in the Republican party benefiting from abortion (be it people like Ben Carson or what happened with Romney and Stericycle/profitting off of aborted fetuses), it bothers me....Life is Life..

But of course, when it comes to the main topic, we need to respect what PassionFruit/the author has said: If the focus is on Jim Crow wherever it's found, then we need to stay focused on that topic - and that's never a blame game.

You are right G,I cannot tell who's who anymore.

To address the Jim Crow laws I believe the original open segregation and discrimination are gone.

That does not mean a new standard for a old law is not in place.

I touched on it with the agenda of Planned Parenthood.

Here are some population numbers in recent years from Wickopedia

White Americans are the racial majority. African Americans are the largest racial minority, amounting to 13.2% of the population. Hispanic and Latino Americans amount to 17% of the population, making up the largest ethnic minority. The White, non-Hispanic or Latino population make up 62.6% of the nation's total, with the total White population (including White Hispanics and Latinos) being 77%.

The use of the of the term Latino is deceptive, since the largest influx of Hispanics are from Mexico.

How many Hispanics are in the US?
According to U.S. Census Bureau population estimates as of July 1, 2013, there are roughly 54 million Hispanics living in the United States, representing approximately 17% of the U.S. total population, making people of Hispanic origin the nation's largest ethnic or race minority.
CDC - Hispanic - Latino - Populations - Racial - Ethnic
www.cdc.gov › populations › REMP ›

2014 US Census Bureau estimated 45,672,250 African Americans in the United States meaning that 14.3% of the total American population of 318.9 Million is Black. This includes those who identify as ‘Black Only’ and as ‘Black in combination with another race’. The ‘Black Only’ category by itself totaled 42.2 million African Americans or 13.2% of the total population.

This census report looks like fuzzy math.
Here is why:

Mexico’s former ambassador to the U.S. said that 30 million “undocumented immigrants” are living in the United States in the beginning of an interview before later stating a different number at the conclusion. The former diplomat, ArturoSarukhan, took to MSNBC to attack presidential hopeful Donald Trump’s recently released plan to secure the border and deport illegal immigrants. The MSNBC clip began with presidential hopeful and Florida Senator
Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL)

79%

claiming that only 12 or 13 million illegal immigrants are in the country.

Here is my point the new Jim Crow is discrimination by allowing a mass influx of Hispanics to cross our border,and as you can see nobody really knows how many are illegal.

What ethnic group is affected the most,by unfair labor practice and overwhelming our social services?

I believe that what happened to Native Americans concerning their population being driven to almost extinction, is beginning to happen to African Americans.

If all illegals in America are granted citizenship, it will be the most blatant Jim Crow ever conceived.

African Americans were here before America was a nation,they were beaten abused as slaves yet they served this Country with honor.
African Americans have earned every bit of citizenship rights by a great struggle.

The New Jim Crow is Marco Rubio ,President Obama,or any one else promoting illegal citizens.

If someone believes that what I have posted is racially motivated, you have been duped.

I base my evaluation on African Americans being effected the most due to their being a minority,and for no other reason.
This is a universal problem for all Americans but all Americans do not have the same opportunities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0