Oct 29, 2003
Iowa
✟16,257.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
cleopa_of_emmaus said:
Converts are discouraged in Judaism to ensure that whoever does convert to Judaism truly understands the implications of their choice. If someone is deterred by a rabbit telling them "we don't need you", then they didn't want it very bad in the first place.
~cleopa

SonWorshipper said:
I think that the only one that was ever deterred by a Rabbit was Alice in Wonderland. ;)

Well, I got a good 5 minute chuckle out of that one.
^_^

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
SonWorshipper said:
I knew it was true! Now I understand all the song and dance! :)

http://www.christianforums.com/t69490

No one denied it, SW, we just do not agree with the way the poster on the other forum lacked charity.

If you want a direct answer, yes I believe that Catholicism is the fulfillment and completion of the Jewish faith. I do not believe messianic Judaism is, I believe it to be rather new. If I am offending you, I am sorry but there is nothing historically evident to make me think other wise.

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well thanks y’all.

"The stone the builder’s rejected has become the corner stone."

We are the chosen people of God who gets to preach Christ crucified to the world but if the Jews would have accepted Christ as God intended? Do you think we would have different practices or would the Jews have practiced in the same way we do now?

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Shelb5 said:
No one denied it, SW, we just do not agree with the way the poster on the other forum lacked charity.

If you want a direct answer, yes I believe that Catholicism is the fulfillment and completion of the Jewish faith. I do not believe messianic Judaism is, I believe it to be rather new. If I am offending you, I am sorry but there is nothing historically evident to make me think other wise.

I agree too! Great post, Michelle!

Lovingly yours in Christ,

Elizabeth

The messianic Jews in the Early Church were Catholics who were members of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. That included all of the Apostles!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JeffreyLloyd

Ave Maria, Gratia plena!
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟75,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is how I see things:

1. Jesus is born
2. Jesus establishes His Church
3. Jesus selects Peter as the head of his church
4. Jesus dies on the cross
5. Jesus defeats death
6. Gentiles and Jews begin joining the church
7. Once they join this new church, they become Christians

and this is the way it was for close to 1500 years (save our EO brothers).

That is why I agree when some ones "I believe that you cannot be more Jewish than to be Catholic" or I yell :amen: when Michelle says, "I believe that
Catholicism is the fulfillment and completion of the Jewish faith"

Does this mean that I believe Messianic Jews are none Christian and bound for hell?? Not in anyway! If you accept the Nicene Creed then I am more then willing to call you my brother (or sister)!

We are just stating how we as Catholics clearly see it.

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
JeffreyLloyd said:
This is how I see things:

1. Jesus is born
2. Jesus establishes His Church
3. Jesus selects Peter as the head of his church
4. Jesus dies on the cross
5. Jesus defeats death
6. Gentiles and Jews begin joining the church
7. Once they join this new church, they become Christians

and this is the way it was for close to 1500 years (save our EO brothers).

That is why I agree when some ones "I believe that you cannot be more Jewish than to be Catholic" or I yell :amen: when Michelle says, "I believe that
Catholicism is the fulfillment and completion of the Jewish faith"

Does this mean that I believe Messianic Jews are none Christian and bound for hell?? Not in anyway! If you accept the Nicene Creed then I am more then willing to call you my brother (or sister)!

We are just stating how we as Catholics clearly see it.

And all I am saying is I can not find Messianic Jews through an historical trace. All I am saying is that early Christians were that, they were Christians who were made up of both Jewish converts and Gentiles who went out and converted the world. Israel was supposed to go out and convert the world but they rejected the Messiah.

There were no denominations, no Protestants, there were however, heretics but the “Christian Church” assembled to protect the truth that was given to us, handed down to us from the apostles. There was a schism between the east and the west but the Traditions of the apostles were never tossed out the window with that split.

In the 1500’s Luther began the reformation, he tossed the Traditions of the apostles out the window and now we have this great gulf in Christianity, a great division in Christ’s body. You can trace this through out history; I can not find Messianic’s appearance in history until the 1960’s.

I have no reason to think that Messianic Judaism is anything other than a new sect of Protestantism because they do baptize with water in the name of the Trinity, (I think at least) and they do profess that Jesus IS God, so I do not believe they are a separate religion with a Christian influence like JW’s are, I believe they are Christian but they seem to not like being called that for some reason.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jukesk9

Dixie Whistlin' Papist
Feb 7, 2002
Arkansas
Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christ did not come to replace but rather fulfill the Law. Hence, Catholicism is the fulfillment of Judaism. **DISCLAIMER**That is my opinion and in no way, shape, or form is binding upon others. You are free to disagree.

Upvote 0

cleopa_of_emmaus

FEAR PROFITS A MAN NOTHING
Sep 28, 2003
✟8,368.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Judaism is very complex, but I would say Messianic Judaism is not so much complex as it is confusing. I attended a Messianic Congregation for a while a few years back. There were more "Gentiles" than "Jews", and although I am no expert on Jewish law, they were far from practicing anything remotely equivalent, and this group was considered an "orthodox messianic congregation".

I was also attending a Reconstructionist synagogue at the time, and I thought it funny that the Messianics were scornful of the Reconstructionist Jews because they "changed the Torah" and didn't follow "Jewish law".

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

From what I have seen, the "Messianic Jewish" movement is basically a bunch of Gentile "Jewish wanna-be's" who are really nothing more than evangelicals in kippots and tallits who are attempting to lure unsuspecting Jews into their so-called "shuls". It borders on a mockery of Judaism.

In my opinion, it is disgraceful, and most Jews I have talked to certainly agree. Not to mention that many of these Messianic groups have their roots in the "British ~ Israel" movement, which is as far-fetched as you can get theologically.

~cleopa

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.