Status
Not open for further replies.

MorphRC

Oct 30, 2003
Australia
✟839.00
Faith
Catholic
I hope i dont come over anti-semitic or a jew hater here..this is just my personal experience and i was wondering if people had a similar stance or thinking.

I use to hang out with a lot of jews offline and online..mostly online..they were great people..open minded and friendly even though they see you as below them since were no "clean". After a while..they started to become agressive towards me..and many of my catholic friends..saying were trying to convert them and that even though we werent! In the end we broke off contact all together and stopped emailing and meeting each other. Then i got a email back from one saying that..the jews will never convert to christianity and anyone that converts to Judaism..is just a wanna be but not a true jew. Of course i dont believe all jews believe this but many do..especially the Ultra Orthodox jews.

Now heres my prob..where in the OT did it say to keep this religion to the jews and not spread it and help others gain the enlightenment that God gives?

to me it seems very selfish and self-centred..

and only until now in the last few hundred years have they started to truly accept anyone that wants to convert..and the reason i figured out was that Judaism is a dieing religion..and thats the only reason they want converts now.

Anyone get this kinda feeling?

cleopa_of_emmaus

FEAR PROFITS A MAN NOTHING
Sep 28, 2003
✟8,368.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Converts are discouraged in Judaism to ensure that whoever does convert to Judaism truly understands the implications of their choice. If someone is deterred by a rabbit telling them "we don't need you", then they didn't want it very bad in the first place.

~cleopa

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The old covenant was given to a certain people in a certain place. God never commanded the Jews to "Go out and make disciples of all nations" as He commanded the Christians under the New and Everlasting Covenant to do.
Judaism was traditionally an exclusive people.

I believe that you cannot be more Jewish than to be Catholic. :)

Reactions: Miss Shelby
Upvote 0

Orthodox Andrew

Orthodox Church- Telling The Truth Since 33 A.D.
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟12,048.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
cleopa_of_emmaus said:
Converts are discouraged in Judaism to ensure that whoever does convert to Judaism truly understands the implications of their choice. If someone is deterred by a rabbit telling them "we don't need you", then they didn't want it very bad in the first place.

~cleopa
She eventually became a Jew, but she couldn't find a Synagogue that wanted her. However after a few years of being "Jewish", she's now falling out of it.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟64,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
geocajun said:

I believe that you cannot be more Jewish than to be Catholic.
Interesting. I was alway taught that Christianity was the completion of Judaism, not Judaism's replacement.

The Caholic prep school I went to required the study of Jewish law and practice on the grounds that you couldn't understand Christianity properly without a good understanding of Judaism. I remember being told that there is nothing inherently repugant to Christiainity in the practice of Judaism.

I always thought that a traditional Jewish seder would be a good idea for Easter dinner.

Upvote 0

MorphRC

Oct 30, 2003
Australia
✟839.00
Faith
Catholic
Cosmic Charlie said:
Interesting. I was alway taught that Christianity was the completion of Judaism, not Judaism's replacement.

The Caholic prep school I went to required the study of Jewish law and practice on the grounds that you couldn't understand Christianity properly without a good understanding of Judaism. I remember being told that there is nothing inherently repugant to Christiainity in the practice of Judaism.

I always thought that a traditional Jewish seder would be a good idea for Easter dinner.
Yes i agree many people see Catholicism as a replacement of Judaism when in fact it is the fulfillment of Gods promise. I had that misconception myself until a yr or so ago.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How many of you have visited the Skirball Museum in Los Angeles? It is a Jewish museum where they have a replica of the famous synagogue that was destroyed by the nazis in Germany. That replica looked almost like an Orthodox Christian Cathedral. It was truly amazing.

An interesting comment was made by one of my friends: you take away the icons in an Orthodox Church and then remove the Iconostasis, you have a Jewish synagogue.

The early Christian church used the psalms in their worship. The Gregorian tones and the Byzantine tones used in our Holy Services are from the Jews.

I know several Jewish converts to Catholicism and Orthodoxy. They say that they are completed Jews now that they have found the true faith in Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ukok

Freaked out, insecure, neurotic and Emotional
Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
InnerPhyre said:
If you want to convert to Judaism, you will be turned away at least 3 time to make sure you are serious. It's not meant to be offensive.
I have a problem with that line of thought.

not everyone is assertive enough or strong enough in spirit to go back for more, after being turned away so offensively.

Personally i would be deeply offended at this kind of behaviour, where is the love, love, love that Jesus spoke of,surely it is not present in the rejection of those who feel drawn to Judaism.

Jesus didn't say 'turn those who seek me, away three times'. :scratch: After all, those who seek to become Jewish are seeking a deeper relationship with the Lord - not simply a synagogue in which to worship. I am drawn to Catholicism because I believe that it is the Church founded by Christ Himself, because i agree with it's doctrine, dogma, Liturgy. Not because i like the building that houses the Church itself. I find God ever more deeply, because i am finding Him present in every element of my conversion and of what it is that i am converting to. therefore, it stands to reason that to turn a 'seeker' away, surely they are going against all that the Lord commands us, in love we are to care for our neighbour as if he were our own flesh. Outright rejection goes against that, surely?

Upvote 0

cleopa_of_emmaus

FEAR PROFITS A MAN NOTHING
Sep 28, 2003
✟8,368.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christians often have a hard time relating to Jewish law and Jewish thought. Christians are immersed in an "evangelistic" mentality, and attempt to convert everybody to their way of thinking in order to obtain salvation.

Judaism, on the other hand, does not believe a person must convert in order to have a share in the world to come. In fact, it is easier if one does not convert, because a non-jew is obligated only to abide by the Noachide covenant, or 7 laws of Noah, while a Jew must abide by the entire 613 laws of Torah.

Therefore, one is turned away for his or her own good, and must be absolutely positive that he or she wants to take on the requirement to obey the 613 commandments as opposed to 7.

~cleopa

Reactions: ps139
Upvote 0

SonWorshipper

Old Timer
Jan 15, 2002
✟10,769.00
Faith
Messianic
cleopa_of_emmaus said:

~cleopa
I think that the only one that was ever deterred by a Rabbit was Alice in Wonderland. ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.