Home
✟14,230.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
and the person who grew up calling Him Yahweh is wrong for calling Him Yahweh?

and yo'bible was written in Hebrew and greek, where there were no J's. so no, your bible does not tell you so.

I call him Jesus when I speak to others in English. THIS is the point.

Speak to me in Hebrew and you are talking to yourself...as I speak English and Greek. If I speak to you in Greek, and you don't comprehend, we aren't communicating.

Language. Language. Language. This is how we communicate with each other.

God bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't need to prove it, my bible tells me so. And it's the name I grew up with.

You are free to disagree. And I'd actually prefer not to argue. But it is sad that we are even debating this on a Christian site.
People are only trying to help you out of your ignorance. In Hebrew, Jesus' name has a prominent "sh" sound. In Greek there is no "sh" sound so immediately His name is recorded in the NT differently to how His name was pronounced in Hebrew. There is also no "j" sound in Greek, so the way English speakers pronounce His name is completely different to how the first christians spoke His name. This is simply how languages interact, change and grow. When I pray in English I say "Jesus". When I pray in Greek I say "EEHsous". If I knew other languages I would use what was correct for those languages.

Upvote 0

HopeInJesusOnly

Sep 18, 2019
Home
✟14,230.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People are only trying to help you out of your ignorance. In Hebrew, Jesus' name has a prominent "sh" sound. In Greek there is no "sh" sound so immediately His name is recorded in the NT differently to how His name was pronounced in Hebrew. There is also no "j" sound in Greek, so the way English speakers pronounce His name is completely different to how the first christians spoke His name. This is simply how languages interact, change and grow. When I pray in English I say "Jesus". When I pray in Greek I say "EEHsous". If I knew other languages I would use what was correct for those languages.

When I speak in English, I call him Jesus...like on this forum.

ADDED: By your reasoning, I could use Iesous whenever I wanted. While I am not wrong, some would not know of whom I am speaking. Because I am speaking in Greek. See? Not ignorant. it's a valid question.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
His name is Jesus.

Why are people changing His name? We have a "J" in the English language. So why?

It actually hurts me to see it written differently.

Please just stop. The New Testament was written in Greek. His English name is Jesus.

I am sorry....feels blasphemous to me. Please forgive if I offend, but it's the way I feel.

clearly this goes beyond social etiquette for you when you're accusing people of saying something other than Jesus as blasphemers. talk about bearing false witness against your neighbor over something that mostly doesn't matter.

SMH

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Can we all chill out?
Here is a picture of a snowman to do that:
images (3).jpeg

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I AM GREEK. Wow.
Χαίρομαι πολύ! Από πού είστε; Your profile is blocked so I had no way of knowing.
When I speak in English, I call him Jesus...like on this forum.

ADDED: By your reasoning, I could use Iesous whenever I wanted. While I am not wrong, some would not know of whom I am speaking. Because I am speaking in Greek. See? Not ignorant. it's a valid question.
I apologise. Your question gave me the impression you were not aware. People do post here from all over the world who don't have English as their first language, plus there are some churches that make a thing out of trying to pronounce Jesus' name as close to the original. I consider the latter in the same way the Apostle Paul said to treat weaker Christian brothers. For the most part it is obvious from the context that they are referring to Jesus, although I admit that I do find it more confusing when they use Hebraisms for other people in the Old Testament or for the Holy Spirit in particular. I try to accommodate their weakness however.

Upvote 0

HopeInJesusOnly

Sep 18, 2019
Home
✟14,230.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
clearly this goes beyond social etiquette for you when you're accusing people of saying something other than Jesus as blasphemers. talk about bearing false witness against your neighbor over something that mostly doesn't matter.

SMH

Well, I guess it matters to me a lot. And to you...as you are here, as well, yes?

I will edit that one post, no prob. And as I said, I'm fine if we disagree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
and If I call Him Yahweh(which is what His name was in the original language the bible was written in), how is this wrong?
You inserted vowels into the tetragrammaton, and that's one example of an error. That name 'Yahweh' is a transliteration and why would anyone start to transliterate the Hebrew words?

Archaeology says the name is YHWH. How about we just leave it be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You inserted vowels into the tetragrammaton, and that's one example of an error. That name 'Yahweh' is a transliteration and why would anyone start to transliterate the Hebrew words?

so is Jehovah,

and I wouldn't get up in my feelings if someone used that. now, are you gonna leave it be or will you also quibble over adiaphora?

Upvote 0

HopeInJesusOnly

Sep 18, 2019
Home
✟14,230.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thank you for sharing this. The name YHWH isn't even said out loud and is substituted when read. Good reminder.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
and If I call Him Yahweh(which is what His name was in the original language the bible was written in), how is this wrong?
If you're looking for something based on his name, this isn't it. The Aramaic would have been something like Yeshua. Joshua, Jesus, Jesu all are various derivates of this. Yahweh is something completely different: the unpronounceable name of God. That's the one name we could be certain he *wasn't* called, as it was never said aloud. Now if you want to use it by virtue of the Trinity, that's up to you, but it's not something he or anyone around him would have used, nor was it his name.

Upvote 0