✟1,013,450.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
His name is Jesus.

Why are people changing his name? We have a "J" in the English language. So why?

It actually hurts me to see it written differently.

Changing it how?

Upvote 0

KateforChrist

Koalas are NOT bears
Nov 18, 2019
Sydney
✟27,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
  • Informative
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It doesn’t bother me if English speakers use terms other than Jesus but it dose come off a bit pretentious to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rigatoni

Redeemed Resident Italian
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Most of the time I refer to Him as Jesus. Although, sometimes I also refer to Him as Yeshua as well, as a reference to the Hebrew culture. Technically, He has many names: Jesus, Yeshua, Prince of Peace, Yeshua ben Joseph, Christ, etc. As long as you're referencing the Son of God Himself and using an actual given name, then I would think it honors Him no matter which one you use. :)

Upvote 0

HopeInJesusOnly

Sep 18, 2019
Home
✟14,230.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you want normal English, the usual translation of his name would be Joshua.

Please just stop. The New Testament was written in Greek. His English name is Jesus.

Please forgive if I offend, but it's the way I feel.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Please just stop. The New Testament was written in Greek. His English name is Jesus.

I am sorry....feels blasphemous to me. Please forgive if I offend, but it's the way I feel.
Right. The Greek name used was the normal Greek translation for his name. When you translate Greek into English, you normally replace Greek words with their English equivalents. That what our English Bibles do for pretty much everyone else's name.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
His name is Jesus.

Why are people changing his name? We have a "J" in the English language. So why?

It actually hurts me to see it written differently.
They use his Hebrew name. The English J is a corruption of the Hebrew Y. The English J pronunciation changed since the Bible was first translated to English. The context his name is more important than its pronunciation.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I read Yeshua and Yahweh a lot on this forum.

"Yahweh" is the best guess as to how the ancient Hebrews pronounced the name of God ("Jehovah" is certainly not correct). It's hard to be certain, because it was traditionally written without vowels, and for thousands of years the Jews have been careful to never actually say it.

"Yeshua" comes from a false theory about what Jesus's parents and friends might have called him.

The name that has come down to us in the Bible is in fact Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous), which is Jesus in English, as you correctly say.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,595.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In the Greek Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Old Testament, Joshua is written as Ιησούς which is exactly the same as how Jesus is written in the Greek New Testament. Greek Christians have always pronounced them the same.

English Bibles, however have the Old Testament translated from the Masoretic Hebrew text and the New Testament translated from the Greek texts which has resulted in the same name being Joshua in the OT and Jesus in the NT.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
English Bibles, however have the Old Testament translated from the Masoretic Hebrew text and the New Testament translated from the Greek texts which has resulted in the same name being Joshua in the OT and Jesus in the NT.

And let's not get started on the fact that, because of changes in pronunciation over time, Jacob, James, and Diego are all the same name too.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,595.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And let's not get started on the fact that, because of changes in pronunciation over time, Jacob, James, and Diego are all the same name too.
Pronounced ee-ahkov in Greek!

• Winner
Upvote 0