✟15,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
September said:
I am on another board where a member recently proclaimed that "liberalism breeds terrorism" and that liberals are Godless.....
How sad... how do people come up with this junk? The 'GOP' has brainwashed Christians into a system of thinking which tells them that anyone who doesn't vote Republican can't possibly be a Christian... and yet, I'm liberal because when I read the bible and study the ways of Jesus himself, liberalism seems to be the only acceptable way to go! Have these people read about Jesus at all? He was an incredibly radical liberal... and yet... :sigh:

(okay, off my soapbox now...)

blessings...
adamdavid

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:amen: Amen! Jesus was indeed a Liberal! :D

September said:
Oh, this is perfect!!!!!!!!!! I am on another board where a member recently proclaimed that "liberalism breeds terrorism" and that liberals are Godless.....

I think I need this shirt!

Perhaps you should remind them that Al Qaida is an extremist fundamentalist Muslim organization! I honestly don't know of any liberal terrorist groups.

Upvote 0

jepvc4

Warrior Saint
Feb 20, 2004
Columbia, Missouri
Visit site
✟655.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I find these present day arguments about "Jesus would be a liberal if he were around today" or "Jesus would have been conservative, and liberalism is evil" arguments so very far off point. It is about as beneficial to argue Jesus' potential political ties as it was for environmentalists to have asked "What would Jesus drive?" not long ago.

The fact of the matter is, Jesus is neither liberal or conservative. He's not even green party or libertarian. Jesus is above all of these political associations, they are not above him. Jesus was radical because the interpreters of the Jewish law in his time had so twisted the words of God so that they benefited man. His reinterpretation of them in the way God had originally intended was something of a culture shock yes, but it was not because the Jewish laws were wrong, just misinterpreted.

"I have not come to abolish the law but to fulfill the law."

Second, you are putting Jesus, whom I will call here simply the author of morality, under a political lens. Yes, some legislation raises some ethical/moral issues, such as abortion, stem cell research, etc. But the vast majority of legislation does not deal with gay rights, abortion, stem cells, and the like. These are only so well known because they receive such large scale media attention. Study true liberalism and conservativism, outside of a moralistic lens. Neither are evil. Some points work and some points don't, for both. Christ however did not come to earth to argue political problems, he came to push an agenda that was so very far beyond anything political, or man-created at all. In the heaven and earth to come, does anyone seriously think there will be a certain political system? Politics will pass away.

Upvote 0

Cajun Huguenot

Cajun's for Christ
Aug 18, 2004
Cajun Country
Visit site
✟4,779.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
jepvc4 said:
I find these present day arguments about "Jesus would be a liberal if he were around today" or "Jesus would have been conservative, and liberalism is evil" arguments so very far off point. It is about as beneficial to argue Jesus' potential political ties as it was for environmentalists to have asked "What would Jesus drive?" not long ago.

Well said. Amen:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

September

Oct 7, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
✟477.00
Faith
Anglican
Hey jepvc4 -- I respect your viewpoint, I just don't take it all so seriously. I thought the posting of the site was kinda cool, and timely considering some of the harsh stuff that was taking place at that time at another board I frequent. But I am so totally not into politics. :p

Upvote 0

jepvc4

Warrior Saint
Feb 20, 2004
Columbia, Missouri
Visit site
✟655.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
September said:
Hey jepvc4 -- I thought the posting of the site was ....timely considering some of the harsh stuff that was taking place at that time at another board I frequent.

So in response to Christians saying liberal politics are evil, you say "Jesus was liberal!" as a retaliation? That sounds throwing gasoline on the fire to me.

"A kingdom divided against itself will not stand," so why then pursue division? These are the arguments that cripple churches today in America, and lame churches cannot do the job they were commissioned to do by Christ.

Upvote 0

traingosorry

I'm what Willis was talkin' bout.
Mar 10, 2004
✟14,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I enjoyed some of the links I have looked at here about Jesus being "liberal" but I think I have to agree with jepvc4 in that it is dangerous to put Jesus under one category, considering He was and IS in a class all his own.

But hehehe... let's not argue about that eh?

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
well i think we can justly and rightly say that, for the time that Christ lived in, He was liberal. now that may not have the same context of what being liberal today entails. maybe it does. i really don't care to be honest. Jesus is Jesus, but take the times of His day, and the way He lived. He was liberal in accordance with the time of His day. so to say Jesus was a liberal is very historical comment. but for liberals to use it to provide some backup to justify their own ideas, well that's pretty useless. it does just put kindle in the fire without further explanation of one's view about Jesus being liberal.

Reactions: traingosorry
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jepvc4

Warrior Saint
Feb 20, 2004
Columbia, Missouri
Visit site
✟655.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
tattedsaint said:
well i think we can justly and rightly say that, for the time that Christ lived in, He was liberal.

Well, you can say that, but to say that justly will require a justification of your claim :)

First, define your view of what it means to be liberal, then how Jesus fits into your definition.

Upvote 0

September

Oct 7, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
✟477.00
Faith
Anglican
wannabsuprman said:
Don't get so tied up in it, it is more of a joke, or jest to those conservatives who love to call us liberals evil and Godless. :)
I agree... thanks.

For the record, I didn't retaliate with "Jesus is a liberal!". I didn't respond at all. I just thought that the timing of it was cool and I got a laugh out of it -- it relieved some tension. Nothing more. ;)

To have responded that way would have put fuel on the fire, and I had no intention of doing so. It's all good. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
adamdavid said:
Yeah, but sadly they usually really mean it! :eek:

Yes, that is very sad. And in all honesty, I know some Liberal Christians who are definitely more Christian than the most Fundamentalist of Christians. Liberal does NOT equal evil!

Liberal:
    1. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
    2. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
    3. Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.
    4. Liberal Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political liberalism, especially in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States.

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
jepvc4 said:
Well, you can say that, but to say that justly will require a justification of your claim :)

First, define your view of what it means to be liberal, then how Jesus fits into your definition.

ok i will, but give me a day to get things prepared. i leave for work for 12 hours in about 30 min. and i want to give a lot of scripture notes.

i will just give the dictionary definition, because people can twist and turn the word liberal to fit their own views, and i don't care about that, so here's the dictionary definition and i'll get scriptures lined up about the reasons why i make the claim that Jesus was liberal for His day with scripture tomorrow. i have to get ready for work. God Bless you!

Liberal:

lib·er·al
adj.
    1. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded. Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.
    2. Liberal Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political liberalism, especially in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States.

1. Tending to give freely; generous: a liberal benefactor.
    2. Generous in amount; ample: a liberal serving of potatoes.
  1. Not strict or literal; loose or approximate: a liberal translation.
  2. Of, relating to, or based on the traditional arts and sciences of a college or university curriculum: a liberal education.

1. Archaic. Permissible or appropriate for a person of free birth; befitting a lady or gentleman.
    2. Obsolete. Morally unrestrained; licentious.
n.

1. A person with liberal ideas or opinions.
  2. Liberal A member of a Liberal political party.
[Middle English, generous, from Old French, from Latin. See leudh- in Indo-European Roots.] lib
prime.gif
er·al·ly
adv.

lib
prime.gif
er·al·ness
n.
Synonyms: liberal, bounteous, bountiful, freehanded, generous, handsome, munificent, openhanded

These adjectives mean willing or marked by a willingness to give unstintingly: a liberal backer of the arts; a bounteous feast; bountiful compliments; a freehanded host; a generous donation; a handsome offer; a munificent gift; fond and openhanded grandparents. See also synonyms at broad-minded
Antonyms: stingy

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Upvote 0

freespirit2001

Contributor
Dec 3, 2003
Eastern Shore off the Chesapeake Bay, Md
Visit site
✟12,864.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have to admit this article was well organized, and did influence my own stance as a Liberal a little bit, that maybe Jesus could be a liberal in our personal relationship with Him now, and when He had lived on earth too...

I did find the category called:
CORPORATE GREED AND RELIGION OF WEALTH interesting!!!
I liked this category for a liberal perspective!
I liked the quotes in this category as well:

"Truly I say to you, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven..."
Matthew 19:23

"You cannot serve both God and money."
Matthew 6:24

"Watch out! Be on guard against al kind of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of possessions." Luke 12:15

It started making me think of other bible passages that might be in this category as well:

He who trusts in his riches will wither;
But the righteous will flourish like a green leaf."
Proverbs 11:28

:D ;)

I am sure not only Jesus may have been considered a Liberal in His time, but many of the prophets in the Old Testament, might have been considered Liberals in their times as well;
Liberal meaning Spirit-led to speak out about the oppressions and hypocrises in the religious hierarchy around them...
Liberal meaning tell-it-like-it-is people---people who say what they mean and mean what they say...
Liberals who feel spirituality is rooted in rationalism and reason and good question asking and information gathering principles.

Upvote 0