Jesus is not the original Greek or Aramaic pronunciation, so how can it save?

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"bestowed on him the name that is above every name"

Thats what I said. There is only 1 divine name above every name.

That doesn't necessarily refer to any particular letter arrangement, in any particular language. It may be more about how we follow him, rather than what we call him. He is truth. God looks into our heart to see if we follow truth and love. That's what hes looking for. Hes not looking for a human language.

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I already mentioned both Greek and Aramaic in my first post.

"Jesus" is not close to either.

You might have a point if the Aramaic speaking Syriac Orthodox and Assyrian churches, or the Greek speaking Greek Orthodox churches, objected to "Jesus." As it happens, they do not.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟621,575.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Per Acts 4:12, there is only 1 name that can save.

Jesus is not even close to the original Greek or Aramaic pronunciations.

So, you are EO....does the church you presently attend conduct services in the language of where your denomination began? As an example, if you attend a Greek Orthodox Church are your services conducted in Greek?...or if Russian Orthodox are your services conducted in Russian? If no, does that mean your services are not effective....that they have no meaning because they are no conducted in the original language. And English is not even close to the language of the original church which you attend. Do you feel diminished because of it? I think God is OK with whatever our translation is of the name of our Messiah.

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Reference?

Here we have one of our own Orthodox bishops, indeed an eminent (in every sense) Metropolitan extolling the salvific aspects of the name of Jesus, using the English pronunciation.

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
So, you are EO....does the church you presently attend conduct services in the language of where your denomination began? As an example, if you attend a Greek Orthodox Church are your services conducted in Greek?...or if Russian Orthodox are your services conducted in Russian? If no, does that mean your services are not effective....that they have no meaning because they are no conducted in the original language. And English is not even close to the language of the original church which you attend. Do you feel diminished because of it? I think God is OK with whatever our translation is of the name of our Messiah.

In North America and the UK, Greek Orthodox services are in Greek and English, Russian, in Church Slavonic and English, Romanian, in Romanian and English, and so on.

On the OO front, the Copts and Syriacs have trilingual liturgies, with a mix of Coptic or Syriac, Arabic and English.

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Welll I no Speak Those Languages, So I can No Be saved, I guess I go Get Drunk Then.

I know a bit of liturgical Greek and liturgical Syriac Aramaic. I do not regard this knowledge as Salvific, and neither do the Greek and Syriac churches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟395,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know a bit of liturgical Greek and liturgical Syriac Aramaic. I do not regard this knowledge as Salvific, and neither do the Greek and Syriac churches.
I doubt anyone other than the OP (And even that I doubt) regard this as Salvific.
Especially given that the Language as Spoken with the local Accents probably doesn't exist on this planet anymore.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟621,575.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
In North America and the UK, Greek Orthodox services are in Greek and English, Russian, in Church Slavonic and English, Romanian, in Romanian and English, and so on.

On the OO front, the Copts and Syriacs have trilingual liturgies, with a mix of Coptic or Syriac, Arabic and English.
So, are any diminished because they are not in the original language of that church?....The Eucharist not effective, the sermon meaningless?....the Liturgy a waste of time?....if that were true the church would be empty....same thing applies to the OP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
So, are any diminished because they are not in the original language of that church?....

Certainly not.

The Eucharist not effective, the sermon meaningless?....the Liturgy a waste of time?....if that were true the church would be empty....same thing applies to the OP.

The idea that one language is more efficacious than others was one of the sillier errors to creep into the Roman Catholic church.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jason, there is only 1 name of the lord....The Name is important.

What is the point of your op? What is your point? Why is knowing the name of God important? What are you trying to say about everyone who doesn't know the true name of God? Are they not saved because the asked "Jesus" to be their savior rather than "yeshua" or "Jahovah" or "Joseph". The true pronunciation of the name of God (YHWH) was long ago lost.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟621,575.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Certainly not.

The idea that one language is more efficacious than others was one of the sillier errors to creep into the Roman Catholic church.
I think even RCC'ers would agree with that......

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am going by the Bible.

Your side hasn't posted a single verse that supports your position.

If the name isn't important, then accept Krishna as your savior.
What does krishna have to do with anything.

Upvote 0