Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus Fulfilled The Sacrificial System

The Perfect Circle of Life.

John 6:44-45 "No man can come to Me, except the Father which hath sent Me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto Me."

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me."

Jesus Closed All the Loopholes Created by Pharisees.

Matthew
5:17 "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven."

23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to His disciples, 2 Saying "The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not. 4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. 5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments, 6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues, 7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi. 8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. 9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. 10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ. 11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. 12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted. 13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in."

The Finished Sacrificial System.

John
1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

15:13 "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, He said, "It is finished": and He bowed His head, and gave up the ghost.

What Happens Now?

Matthew 5:23 "Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; 24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift."

This is Salvation, in a nutshell. Jesus fulfilled the Sacrificial System of the Law. He came down from Heaven when He did because He knew when the Temple would fall. The New Covenant is Repent, Admit, and Forgive: You hurt someone, you go to them and personally ask for their forgiveness. And then your gift at the altar will be accepted.
The Roman emperor Constantine legalized Christianity in 313 AD. During the fourth century AD, animal sacrifice was banned. During the early fifth century AD, gladiator contests were banned.

Upvote 0

Micah888

Apr 20, 2018
CALGARY
✟21,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is Paul, standing firmer than any man before for the gospel's sake... a rock in terms of somebody to look up to... accommodating Jews who didn't see Yeshua as messiah?
Actually the issue is totally different. Here is what we read: Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law (Acts 21:20).

So what we are seeing is thousands of Jews who have believed on the Lord Jesus Christ but not been fully taught about the fact that the ceremonial observances of the Law were no longer of any significance. These were genuine Jewish believers who were still maturing in the faith, and had never been taught by Paul. So in their estimation, Paul was totally opposed to the Old Covenant (even though he had circumcised Timothy to maintain peace among other Jewish believers).

Now James and the elders of the Jerusalem church were clearly Christians saved by grace, yet they had not cut themselves off from Jewish observances (particularly ceremonial observance, which had no bearing on salvation). So they were making sure that "weaker Jewish brethren" should not see Paul (a converted Pharisee) as a stumbling block to their faith in Christ (who was also the Jewish Messiah). Hence they made this recommendation to keep the peace without violating Christian beliefs in any way (and let's not forget that the Holy Spirit was working mightily in and among these Jewish Christian leaders):

Do therefore this that we say to thee: We have four men which have a vow on them; Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law. (Acts 21:23,24).

Now we know that Paul was against keeping the Law IN ORDER TO BE JUSTIFIED in the sight of God. But this had nothing to do with that matter. Paul, James, and the elders all knew that they had been justified by grace through faith and thus received the gift of the Holy Spirit. So none of them was violating the Gospel.

So Paul did what was necessary (and expedient) and there was no sin in this matter. He had been among the Gentiles, thus "ceremonially defiled" according to the OT. He made sure he would not cause his Jewish brethren to stumble, so here is what we read:

Then Paul took the men, and the next day purifying himself with them entered into the temple, to signify the accomplishment of the days of purification, until that an offering should be offered for every one of them (Acts 21:26).

Now we should note something which generally escapes our attention: until that an offering should be offered for every one of them. This required seven days, but THAT OFFERING WAS NEVER OFFERED! Why? There was an attempt on Paul's life before the seven day were up, and he ended up being rescued by the Romans, and eventually taken to Caesarea.

• Informative
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Think not that I am come to do away with the law, or the prophets: I am not come to do away with it, but to do away with it."
just because something is completed doesn't mean it is devalued and thrown away. It doesn't seem you give this argument a lot of thought and only present it in a very narrow focus which forces me to think you're being irresponsible and are more agenda driven then truth driven.

Go to your office and look at it's wall what do you see? Do you see a degree that is thrown away or do you see a completed valued credential that has been framed and put on display? its in that answer where you will find the values of those who look at the law as completed and no longer under its obligation.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Only because all the priests and Levites did not turn to Christ on the Day of Pentecost. So while the system ended on the day of Passover, when Christ our Passover was sacrificed for us, the unbelieving Jews continued with their sacrificial system until 70 AD.

Acts 6:7 And the word of God continued to increase, and the number of the disciples multiplied greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests became obedient to the faith.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Only because all the priests and Levites did not turn to Christ on the Day of Pentecost. So while the system ended on the day of Passover, when Christ our Passover was sacrificed for us, the unbelieving Jews continued with their sacrificial system until 70 AD.

So, you are saying that animal sacrifices actually atoned for sin in the heavenly courts? Or are you saying that the Jewish people believed that? If so, can you give me a Jewish source that says they believed this?

Upvote 0

gomerian

Apr 29, 2018
america
✟40.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I am not going to debate your entire post because it isn't worth the time... it just doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter that God gave Judeans a way to keep the whole Law, after the Temple fell? ok

The common teaching is that the idea of fulfill is to fill up... as in, "no longer a need to do them." This verse, for these folks, is saying, "the law is done away with."

Pleroo -
2c3) to fulfil, i.e. to cause God’s will (as made known in the law) to be obeyed as it should be, and God’s promises (given through the prophets) to receive fulfilment

The same thing that Strong's said, minus the word choices.

"pleroo; to make replete, i.e. (literally) to cram (a net), level up (a hollow), or (figuratively) to furnish (or imbue, diffuse, influence), satisfy, execute (an office), finish (a period or task), verify (or coincide with a prediction), etc.:--accomplish, X after, (be) complete, end, expire, fill (up), fulfil, (be, make) full (come), fully preach, perfect, supply."--Strong's 4137

Personally, I don't think that adding to what Jesus actually said, while removing the word choices, is entirely useful.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
'Fulfill' is a Jewish idiom which means 'to do.' Here are several examples taken from Jewish literature. The earliest is from the Misnah:

Midrash
Midrash Rabbah - Exodus 30:22

22. Another explanation of NOW THESE ARE THE ORDINANCES. Both the heathen and Israel have judges, and you do not know what difference there is between both. It can be compared to a sick man whose doctor paid him a visit and then said to the family: ' Give him to eat whatever he wants.' When he came to the other, he left word: ' Take care not to let him eat that and that thing.' When he was asked, `The first, thou didst allow to eat whatever he wishes, and the second, thou didst forbid certain things,' his reply was: `The first has no chance of recovering; for this reason did I allow him to eat what he fancies; but the second will yet live and therefore did I command strict caution in his diet.' Similarly the heathen have judges, but neither study the Torah nor fulfil it, as it says, Wherefore I gave them also statutes that were not good, and ordinances whereby they should not live (Ezek.XX, 25),1 but with regard to the commandments it says, Which if a man do, he shall live by them (Lev. XVIII, 5).

Exodus Rabbah 40:1

R. Hoshaya said: Anyone who has knowledge but lacks the fear of sin, really has nothing, just as a carpenter who has no tools with him is not a real carpenter; because the bolts which guard learning are the fear of sin, as it says, And the fear of the Lord is its treasure-house (Isa. XXXIII, 6). R. Johanan said: If one knows the Torah but does not fulfil it, it were better for him that he had not been born,

Numbers Rabbah 3:12

He was called Kohath for this reason: You read: If the iron be blunt (Eccl. X, 10), which means, if you perceive that the heavens have become `blunt' and refuse to send down rain, having become like iron- as you read: 'And I will make your heaven as iron'-be assured that it is as a punishment for the non-observance of the Torah; for it is written, And one do not whet the edge (ib.), that is, because they did not fulfil the commandments of the Torah which was given to them by God face to face-as you read, The Lord spoke with you face to face, etc. (Deut. V, 4)

Numbers Rabbah 11:1
The wise shall inherit honour (Prov. III, 35) applies to Israel who are called wise when they fulfil the Torah and the commandments; as it says, Observe therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding, etc. (Deut. IV, 6)

Deuteronomy Rabbah 1:21

The Rabbis say: Moses declared before God: `Master of the Universe, just because the Gentiles have not been commanded to observe the Sabbath, wilt Thou show favour to them if they do observe it?' God replied to him: ' Do you really fear this? By your life, even if they fulfil all the commandments in the Torah, yet will I cause them to fall before you.' Whence this? Because the text says, BEHOLD, I HAVE BEGUN TO DELIVER UP BEFORE THEE.

Deuteronomy Rabbah 7:4

TO OBSERVE TO DO ALL HIS COMMANDMENTS (XXVIII, 1). R. Simeon b. Halafta said: If one learns the words of the Torah and does not fulfil them, his punishment is more severe than that of him who has not learnt at all.

Deuteronomy Rabbah 11:6

Halachah: When a Jew goes up to read the Law, he is not permitted to commence reading it before he has recited the blessings. First he must recite the blessings and then he reads. And thus Moses, when he had the privilege of receiving the Torah, first recited a blessing, and then he read it. R. Eleazar asked: What was the blessing which Moses recited before reading it? [It was], Blessed art Thou, O Lord, King of the Universe, who hast chosen this law and sanctified it and hast found pleasure in them who fulfil it. He did not say, ' in them that labour at it,' nor, ' in them who meditate in it,' but, ' in them that fulfil it,' that is to say, in them who carry out the words of the Torah.

Numbers Rabbah 10:8

For thus have the Sages said: Keep away from a small sin lest it lead you to a grievous one; run to fulfil a small commandment, for it will lead you to an important one.

Talmud
Chagigah 4b

Samuel went and brought Moses with him, Saying to him: Perhaps, Heaven forfend,21 I am summoned to Judgment: arise with me,22 for there is nothing that thou hast written in the Torah, which I did not fulfil.

Arachin 22a

R. Papa said: The paying of a debt is a commandment and [minor] orphans are not obliged to fulfil the commandment.

Mishnah

AVOT 4:9

R. JONATHAN SAID: WHOEVER FULFILS THE TORAH OUT OF [A STATE OF] POVERTY, HIS END [WILL BE] TO FULFIL IT OUT OF [A STATE OF] WEALTH; AND WHOEVER DISCARDS THE TORAH OUT OF [A STATE OF] WEALTH, HIS END [WILL BE] TO DISCARD IT OUT OF [A STATE OF] POVERTY.

Some people use the word 'fulfill' to mean 'finish.' This is not the meaning from within a Jewish religious context about the Torah.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 John 4:1
Upvote 0

Micah888

Apr 20, 2018
CALGARY
✟21,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, you are saying that animal sacrifices actually atoned for sin in the heavenly courts? Or are you saying that the Jewish people believed that? If so, can you give me a Jewish source that says they believed this?
Sorry if there was any misunderstanding.

1. When you turn to Leviticus you will find that the shed blood of animals is said "to make atonement" for sins. The Hebrew word for "atonement" is kaphar and means "cover". So the OT sins were covered by the blood of sacrificial animals, and because that could only be temporary (and not a purging of the conscience) sacrifices of various kinds were repeated daily, periodically, occasionally, or annually. Thus the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) was observed every year.

2. We can only surmise that the Jewish people understood that this was a temporary provision, since they also had Isaiah 53 to indicate that the Lamb of God (Christ) would put an end to animal sacrifices. But John the Baptist had clearly told the Jewish nation while pointing to Christ "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world (John 1:29). So the Jews had no excuse after the resurrection of Christ.

3. In any event, when that heavy curtain in the temple was supernaturally torn by God, it should have given the priests and Levites pause. Following that Peter preached to all the Jews gathered in Jerusalem regarding the sacrifice of Christ and His resurrection. So in effect all the Jews resident in Jerusalem would have know that the Cross brought an end to the sacrificial system.

4. However, there had been hatred against Christ before His death, and it continued among many of the priests and Levites. So they refused to give up what they knew deep down was empty observances. The Holy of Holies was exposed, so the whole temple system was finished. Yet they persisted in their unbelief, and eventually brought judgment on Jerusalem and Judea in 70 AD.

• Agree
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

gomerian

Apr 29, 2018
america
✟40.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
The destruction of the Temple in 70 AD ended the sacrificial system...

Matthew 23:37 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, [thou] that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under [her] wings, and ye would not!"

Matthew 11:28 "Come unto Me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For My yoke [is] easy, and My burden is light."

Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, "Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
However, there had been hatred against Christ before His death, and it continued among many of the priests and Levites. So they refused to give up what they knew deep down was empty observances.
The way I see it.....God gave them time to repent (in the 40 or so years prior to the destruction of Jerusalem). The account of the stoning of Stephen is maybe one of the most obvious examples of the chosen rejection of truth:

Acts 7:56-57 said:
Look,” he said, “I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.” 57 At this they covered their ears, cried out in a loud voice, and rushed together at him.

Upvote 0

Micah888

Apr 20, 2018
CALGARY
✟21,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acts 6:7 And the word of God continued to increase, and the number of the disciples multiplied greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests became obedient to the faith.
A "great many" does not mean "all". Yes many did believe and were converted, but we do not read that the temple was shut down, and all of the priests and Levites gave up their positions and their prerogatives.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sorry if there was any misunderstanding.

1. When you turn to Leviticus you will find that the shed blood of animals is said "to make atonement" for sins. The Hebrew word for "atonement" is kaphar and means "cover". So the OT sins were covered by the blood of sacrificial animals, and because that could only be temporary (and not a purging of the conscience) sacrifices of various kinds were repeated daily, periodically, occasionally, or annually. Thus the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) was observed every year.

There is nothing in the OT sacrificial texts that indicates that atonement was connected to eternal salvation at all. In fact, you will find that it has to do with people's status when they came to the temple.

Upvote 0

gomerian

Apr 29, 2018
america
✟40.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Col 1:23
If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;
Col 1:24
Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

1:24 has always puzzled me -- what did Paul think was 'behind' or unfulfilled?

I think the sacrificial system ended when Jesus said "It is finished" on the cross and the veil of the Temple was torn

why Paul later had a vow and his head shaved for something in that Temple puzzles me too

no sacrifices were accepted by God after Christ's - nor will be in the future - it's over

John 1:47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, "Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!"

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you read the scriptures, the only commandments that GOD calls eternal are those related to the temple system. Now if you read scriptures to say otherwise, we have a problem because the Bible would be contradicting itself.

Here are the commandments that God calls 'forever' or 'throughout your generations:'

Passover/Unleavened Bread Exodus 12:14-20
Aaron and sons to tend the Menorah Exodus 27:20, 21

Aaron and sons to wear priestly garments Exodus 28:43

Aaron and sons to eat the heave offering Exodus 29:28

The continual burnt offering Exodus 29:42

Aaron and sons to burn incense Exodus 30:8

Aaron and sons to apply blood to altar horns Exodus 30:10

Aaron and sons to wash their hands and feet when ministering Exodus 30:19-21

Israel to observe the Sabbath Exodus 31:13, 16, 17

Aaron and sons to eat the trespass offering Leviticus 6:18

Aaron and sons to present meal offering upon anointing Leviticus 6:22

Priests not to drink wine when serving in Temple Leviticus 10:9

Israel to afflict their souls and rest on the Day of Atonement Leviticus 16:29

Israel to offer sacrifices only at the Temple Leviticus 17:5-7

Israel to observe Firstfruits Leviticus 23:12-14

Israel to observe Pentecost Leviticus 23:21

Israel to observe the Day of Atonement Leviticus 23:28-31

Israel to observe Feast of Tabernacles Leviticus 23:39-41

Aaron and sons to blow the trumpets Numbers 10:7, 8

Rules of various offerings Numbers 15:3-15

Levites to perform the Temple services Numbers 18:20-23

Ceremony of the Red Heifer Numbers 19:1-10

Cities of refuge Numbers 35:29

Priesthood of Aaron and his sons Deuteronomy 18:5

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gomerian

Apr 29, 2018
america
✟40.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
The Roman emperor Constantine legalized Christianity in 313 AD. During the fourth century AD, animal sacrifice was banned. During the early fifth century AD, gladiator contests were banned.

He mandated it, didn't he? Conversion at the point of a sword creates infiltrators, by definition. Did anyone ever think that was a good idea who didn't have coffers to fill or people to control?

Upvote 0

gomerian

Apr 29, 2018
america
✟40.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
If you read the scriptures, the only commandments that GOD calls eternal are those related to the temple system.

Matthew 19:16-23
And, behold, one came and said unto Him, "Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?"
And He said unto him, "Why callest thou Me good? [there is] none good but one, [that is], God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments."
He saith unto Him, "Which?"
Jesus said, "Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and [thy] mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."
The young man saith unto Him, "All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?"
Jesus said unto him, "If thou wilt be perfect, go [and] sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come [and] follow Me."
But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
Then said Jesus unto His disciples, "Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven."

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Matthew 19:16-23
And, behold, one came and said unto Him, "Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?"
And He said unto him, "Why callest thou Me good? [there is] none good but one, [that is], God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments."
He saith unto Him, "Which?"
Jesus said, "Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and [thy] mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."
The young man saith unto Him, "All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?"
Jesus said unto him, "If thou wilt be perfect, go [and] sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come [and] follow Me."
But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
Then said Jesus unto His disciples, "Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven."

How is this relevant to the existence of eternal commandments?

Reactions: Duvduv
Upvote 0

gomerian

Apr 29, 2018
america
✟40.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
How is this relevant to the existence of eternal commandments?

John 12:48 "He that rejecteth Me, and receiveth not My words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day."

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Jesus Fulfilled The Sacrificial System

The Perfect Circle of Life.

John 6:44-45 "No man can come to Me, except the Father which hath sent Me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto Me."

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me."

Jesus Closed All the Loopholes Created by Pharisees.

Matthew
5:17 "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven."

23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to His disciples, 2 Saying "The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not. 4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. 5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments, 6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues, 7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi. 8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. 9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. 10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ. 11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. 12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted. 13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in."

The Finished Sacrificial System.

John
1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

15:13 "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, He said, "It is finished": and He bowed His head, and gave up the ghost.

What Happens Now?

Matthew 5:23 "Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; 24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift."

This is Salvation, in a nutshell. Jesus fulfilled the Sacrificial System of the Law. He came down from Heaven when He did because He knew when the Temple would fall. The New Covenant is Repent, Admit, and Forgive: You hurt someone, you go to them and personally ask for their forgiveness. And then your gift at the altar will be accepted.
The sacrificial system was man made, Jesus simply invalidated it when he revealed that God is the loving Father of each individual.

Upvote 0