]RiSeN[

Come, be his follower!
Apr 12, 2005
New York
✟10,178.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Jesus' ministry was to declare the good news of God's kingdom. The instrument in bringing about the vindication of God's name. It is a heavenly kingdom of which Jesus is now king. And there is an eartly portion of that kingdom. Jesus said we could identify his subjects;

(John​
13:35) . . .By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.”
(John​
18:36) . . .Jesus answered: “My kingdom is no part of this world. . .​

According to Jesus' words as recorded in the bible any religion/denomination which participates in politics/nationalism or supports/condones war/bloodshed is not part of God's kingdom.

Upvote 0

ivebeenshown

Expert invisible poster and thread killer
Apr 27, 2010
✟17,740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If he didn't plan to institute a Church why would the scriptures call the Church the "pillar and ground of truth" ?

Because they call the living God the pillar and ground of the truth. Christ is the true vine, not the church. The LORD is the Shepherd, not the church.

1 Timothy 3:15
But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar
and ground of the truth.

Upvote 0

Christos Anesti

Oct 25, 2009
Michigan
✟20,114.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar
and ground of the truth.

Why would God tell us how to behave in Church if He didn't institute one?

Upvote 0

ivebeenshown

Expert invisible poster and thread killer
Apr 27, 2010
✟17,740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I didn't mean to say there is no church. I was just pointing out that God Himself is the pillar and ground of truth. I believe the church is the body composed of all members who have the Spirit in them.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
this is not relevant because it ignores what this thread is about. This thread is not saying there should be no church. They are however talking against what man has turned church into meaning these days rather than what God planned the church to be.

The church is (always has and always will be) made up of people. It is not a brick or wood building.

Upvote 0
G

groktruth

this is not relevant because it ignores what this thread is about. This thread is not saying there should be no church. They are however talking against what man has turned church into meaning these days rather than what God planned the church to be.

The church is (always has and always will be) made up of people. It is not a brick or wood building.

Without a vision, the people perish. Without a vision for the church, the seed of the gospel is unfruitful. Birds come, or sun burns, or the cares of the world destroy. The "root" mentioned by Jesus is none other than a commitment or baptism into His vision for a "house of prayer," His "temple" which is what we are when two or more are gathered correctly in His name.

His vision for His church is clearly described in scripture, and almost universally ignored. It is actually holy, and therefore not to be given to dogs; a pearl not appropriate to be shared with swine. What is called "a church" is a far cry from the Lord's vision, is actually, if you want to know, bundles of tares. a gathering of false believers.

If you want the seed of the gospel to bear fruit in your life, 30. 60, or 100 fold, you must understand His vision for the church. Read the parable of the sower! Pray for this vision, and buy the truth, especially instruction in wisdom. Get a mentor, someone to sit down with you one-on-one, eye-to-eye, who will commit to a Hebrews 13:17 relationship with you. Press into faith for "all authority in heaven and earth has been given to " Jesus. Learn to know His voice, let it build faith (from hearing), and see how being a part of His church makes hearing Him much richer.

So few! So very few! Thus we work out our salvation with fear and trembling.

Upvote 0

CryptoLutheran

Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman
Sep 13, 2010
Pacific Northwest
✟12,709.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's worth pointing out that the term "church" for the building where the Church gathers to worship and receive the Sacraments is more-or-less a peculiarity of our language (as well as some others).

For example, in English the full name for the ancient church of Hagia Sophia is "The Church of the Holy Wisdom of God"; in Greek, however, it's called the Naos not the Ekklesia. Naos being the Greek word for "temple". In fact our English word "church", ultimately stems from the Germanization of the Greek word kyriake(oika), "Lord's(house)"--kyriake (Greek)->kirika (Germanic)-->cirice (Old English); a similar transition entered into the Slavic languages, as shown in the Russian word tserkov.

What's important to understand is that what makes a church a church is the Liturgy, what the people of God do when gathered together. There can be no ekklesia unless they are gathered. Much has been said about ekklesia meaning "called out", and to be sure that's what it means, but it specifically refers to a gathering, a community or assembly. The Athenian ekklesia were all the free citizens of Athens, called out of the walls of the city onto a hill where Athenian democracy actually happened.

You (singular) are not the Church, and neither am I. We are the Church only in communion--koinonia--together in Christ. Not just in some abstract principle, but in the concrete reality of our gathering together in liturgy to receive Word and Sacrament.

Thus an attempt at dismissing "church buildings" and any attempt to personalize or privatize the Church into "my personal relationship with Jesus" is a fool's errand and denies the reality of the Church in favor of individualism.

As Bonhoeffer says, Christ indeed calls each of us individually, but we are each called into community.

There can be no Christianity without the community of faith, those gathered around Word and Sacrament, apart from this there is no Church.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
G

groktruth

JESUS is alive and well, and living in Corpus Christi, "together" you and I, "We are the Church" !!!

:amen:

Jesus is building His church out of those who have obeyed the true gospel. What is commanded in the true gospel is that we become disciples, with teachers or masters, committed to an agenda or course of study, involving the name of the Father (the law and the prophets), the name of the Son {His commandments to His original 12} and the name of the Spirit {the admonitions of the Spirit as we walk humbly with the Lord.} The backbone of this study, according to Jesus, are the commandments that He gave the 12 (e.g. the commands of Christ, as formulated by Bill Gothard). Not "keeping" these commandments, and claiming to be saved, identifies the speaker as a liar, and unsaved. Not to be included in the true church.

One is "in the church" when they have, or are praying for, an authoritative relationship (a "joint") with a teacher/master who is teaching these commandments.

Not many meet this criterion, and so the church is dimly formed. But even one individual praying fervently for someone to submit to (Hebrews 13:17}, in the learning of the commandments of Christ, is greatly empowered to do much of the good works of the church.

I am so praying. Am I alone?

Upvote 0

JESUSIAM

A Son of God
Nov 16, 2010
Corpus Christi, Tx. USA
✟8,239.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus is building His church out of those who have obeyed the true gospel. What is commanded in the true gospel is that we become disciples, with teachers or masters, committed to an agenda, or course, of study, involving the name of the Father (the law and the prophets), the name of the Son, His commandments to His orignal 12, and the name of the Spirit, the admonitions of the Spirit as we walk humbly with the Lord. The backbone of this sudy, according to Jesus, are the commandments that He gave the 12 (e.g. the commands of Christ, as formulated by Bill Gothard). Mot "keeping" these commandments, and claiming to be saved, identifies the speaker as a liar, and unsaved. Not to be included in the true church.

One is "in the church" when they have, or are praying for, an authoritative relationship (a "joint") with a teacher/master teaching these commandments.

Not many meet this criterion, and so the church is dimly formed. But even one individual praying fervently for someone to submit to (Hebrews 13:17}, in the learning of the commandments of Christ, is greatly empowered to do much of the good works of the church.

I am so praying. Am I alone?

Yes, about Bill Gothard, I was at his seminar in Houston, Tx, over 28 years ago. What he confirmed was that I was very much like Jesus in character.

IN HIS NAME,

JESUS :amen:

Upvote 0

JESUSIAM

A Son of God
Nov 16, 2010
Corpus Christi, Tx. USA
✟8,239.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus says that He and I are one.

"Therefore you shall be perfect, just as our Father in heaven is perfect." -Matthew 5:48

Yes, my name is also Jesus, no, I am not the "Messiah", "The Son of God", but one thing I know, I am "a son of God" !!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
G

groktruth

Jesus says that He and I are one.

"Therefore you shall be perfect, just as our Father in heaven is perfect." -Matthew 5:48

Yes, my name is also Jesus, no, I am not the "Messiah", "The Son of God", but one thing I know, I am "a son of God" !!!

Since we are dead, yet we live, yet not us but Christ lives in us, what more can we hope for from the second coming? And He said that the works He did, we would do, and greater works as well. He had better be alive and doing much in Corpus, working in and through "you.!"

Upvote 0

JESUSIAM

A Son of God
Nov 16, 2010
Corpus Christi, Tx. USA
✟8,239.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Since we are dead, yet we live, yet not us but Christ lives in us, what more can we hope for from the second coming? And He said that the works He did, we would do, and greater works as well. He had better be alive and doing much in Corpus, working in and through "you.!"

"I am", and you are also in "corpus" --the body of Christ !!!

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's worth pointing out that the term "church" for the building where the Church gathers to worship and receive the Sacraments is more-or-less a peculiarity of our language (as well as some others).

For example, in English the full name for the ancient church of Hagia Sophia is "The Church of the Holy Wisdom of God"; in Greek, however, it's called the Naos not the Ekklesia. Naos being the Greek word for "temple". In fact our English word "church", ultimately stems from the Germanization of the Greek word kyriake(oika), "Lord's(house)"--kyriake (Greek)->kirika (Germanic)-->cirice (Old English); a similar transition entered into the Slavic languages, as shown in the Russian word tserkov.

What's important to understand is that what makes a church a church is the Liturgy, what the people of God do when gathered together. There can be no ekklesia unless they are gathered. Much has been said about ekklesia meaning "called out", and to be sure that's what it means, but it specifically refers to a gathering, a community or assembly. The Athenian ekklesia were all the free citizens of Athens, called out of the walls of the city onto a hill where Athenian democracy actually happened.

You (singular) are not the Church, and neither am I. We are the Church only in communion--koinonia--together in Christ. Not just in some abstract principle, but in the concrete reality of our gathering together in liturgy to receive Word and Sacrament.

Thus an attempt at dismissing "church buildings" and any attempt to personalize or privatize the Church into "my personal relationship with Jesus" is a fool's errand and denies the reality of the Church in favor of individualism.

As Bonhoeffer says, Christ indeed calls each of us individually, but we are each called into community.

There can be no Christianity without the community of faith, those gathered around Word and Sacrament, apart from this there is no Church.

-CryptoLutheran
The only bit I personally disagree with is the "church buildings" are not neccesary. One can just as easily meet in a persons home or community hall or park. location is not relevant it is the gathering of believers as you said that is important. Or did I misunderstand what you meant?

Upvote 0
G

groktruth

Yes, about Bill Gothard, I was at his seminar in Houston, Tx, over 28 years ago. What he confirmed was that I was very much like Jesus in character.

IN HIS NAME,

It is not about Bill Gothard. It is about the commands of christ. "Believers" who "keep" them (study, learn, meditate over, ask God about, then listen and record what He says) are believers. "Believers" who don't are "liars and the truth is not in them." They will have their part in the lake of fire, and believers are instructed to avoid them.

Upvote 0