✟1,356,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luke 12:49-53 ESV

“I came to cast fire on the earth, and would that it were already kindled! I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how great is my distress until it is accomplished! Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. For from now on in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three. They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”

Why Jesus Came

Jesus Christ did not teach the kind of gospel which is largely being taught today. His gospel was not “light and fluffy.” His gospel did not appeal to human flesh, nor did it placate people in their sins. His gospel did not teach a grace which merely forgave sin so people could go to heaven, either.

Jesus taught that following after him means that we die to our old lives of living for sin and self, that we make a spiritual U-turn with our lives, of the Spirit of God, and that we now walk according to the Spirit and no longer according to the flesh, while yielding to him as Lord (master) of our lives.

He certainly did not teach a gospel which was on friendly terms with the world, or which taught that we must immerse ourselves in today’s culture in order to relate to the people of the world. He taught separation from the world and holy living, not continuing in sin guilt-free.

And he was not this person voted “most popular” whom everyone loved and admired for his charismatic personality. He was not a smooth talker. He wasn’t charming. He wasn’t someone who cracked jokes to entertain everyone, either. He was dead serious about his message.

Jesus didn’t come to the earth to make everyone like him. If he did, they wouldn’t have crucified him on a cross. He came to tell them the truth, whether they liked it or not, and he came to die on that cross so that we might die with him to sin and live to him and to his righteousness.

Jesus went through that horrible death on that cross, not just to forgive us our sins, but to eradicate sin from our lives, but not just to remove the punishment of it, but to remove our bondage to it. He came to put sin to death in our lives so we would now walk in righteousness and holiness.

Peace or Division?

Many people paint this unrealistic picture of Jesus as this meek and mild man who just went around doing good to everyone. Yes, he healed the sick and afflicted, raised the dead, delivered from demons, and comforted the sorrowful, but he spoke truth into people’s lives, and he was hated for it.

Jesus did not teach the Christian life as this life of ease and comfort, either, nor of Christians getting together just to have a good time and to crack jokes, and to play games, and to watch movies and to talk about everything in this world, but to not talk about him.

Jesus also did not teach that we can believe in him, be forgiven of our sins, go to heaven when we die, that nothing can take that away from us, and that we can continue living in deliberate and habitual sin against him, while claiming that God’s grace covers it all.

Jesus taught a crucified life which meant leaving our old lives behind us to follow him in obedience to his commands, and to do what he says to do, to go wherever he sends us, and to say whatever he gives us to say, even if we are hated and persecuted for it in return.

And he taught that if we follow him with our lives wholeheartedly, and if he truly is owner and master of our lives, and we are teaching what he taught, that we are going to be hated, not loved by everyone. And he taught that we will be treated like he was treated, even put to death for our faith.

So, the Christian life that he taught does not “make nice” with the world, but if offends the world because it speaks of holiness, righteousness, and forsaking sins to follow Jesus in obedience. And the flesh of humans resists that and fights against it because the flesh doesn’t want to let go.

So, when we decide to go with Jesus 100%, and we do and say the kinds of things he did and said, people are going to turn against us, even people from our own households, from our own families, from our church fellowships, and from our neighborhoods, etc.

I remember, after the death of a particular pastor’s wife, how so many people described her as a fine Christian woman because everyone loved her. But does that make us fine Christians just because everyone loves us? No! For, if everyone loves us, we aren’t “rocking any boats.”

Persecuted for Righteousness

If Jesus came, not to bring peace, but division, and to turn our family members against us because of our walks of faith, and if the Scriptures teach that the world should not love us as its own, because Jesus called us out of the world, but that we should be hated as he was, something is wrong with our Christian lives if everyone loves us.

We are to stand out as different. We are not to blend in with the world. We are to be going against the flow, and we are not to be going along with what the majority says. We should be walking the narrow road which few travel but which leads to righteousness and to eternal life with God.

On social media, there should be few who genuinely follow us and who respond to our posts if we are posting Scripture (not just the ones that make everyone feel good) and if we are teaching what the Scriptures teach in their fulness and in context.

And we should be experiencing people avoiding us, not wanting to associate with us, rejecting, hating, and persecuting us, not because we are doing wrong, but because we are following Jesus and because we are living lives which are separate from the world because we are being made to be like Jesus.

Seek the Lord

An Original Work / July 20, 2012
Based off Isaiah 55

“Come to Me all you who thirst; come to waters.
Listen to Me, and eat what’s good today,
And your soul will delight in richest of fare.
Give ear to Me, and you will live.
I have made an eternal covenant with you.
Wash in the blood of the Lamb.”

Seek the Lord while He may be found; call on Him.
Let the wicked forsake his way, in truth.
Let him turn to the Lord, and he will receive mercy.
Freely, God pardons him.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,”
declares the Lord, our God.

“My word that goes out of My mouth is truthful.
It will not return to Me unfulfilled.
My word will accomplish all that I desire,
And achieve the goal I intend.
You will go in joy and be led forth in peace.
The mountains will burst into song… before you,
And all of the trees clap their hands.”

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

“I came to cast fire on the earth, and would that it were already kindled! I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how great is my distress until it is accomplished! Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. For from now on in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three. They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”

Why Jesus Came

Jesus Christ did not teach the kind of gospel which is largely being taught today. His gospel was not “light and fluffy.” His gospel did not appeal to human flesh, nor did it placate people in their sins. His gospel did not teach a grace which merely forgave sin so people could go to heaven, either.

Jesus taught that following after him means that we die to our old lives of living for sin and self, that we make a spiritual U-turn with our lives, of the Spirit of God, and that we now walk according to the Spirit and no longer according to the flesh, while yielding to him as Lord (master) of our lives.

He certainly did not teach a gospel which was on friendly terms with the world, or which taught that we must immerse ourselves in today’s culture in order to relate to the people of the world. He taught separation from the world and holy living, not continuing in sin guilt-free.

And he was not this person voted “most popular” whom everyone loved and admired for his charismatic personality. He was not a smooth talker. He wasn’t charming. He wasn’t someone who cracked jokes to entertain everyone, either. He was dead serious about his message.

Jesus didn’t come to the earth to make everyone like him. If he did, they wouldn’t have crucified him on a cross. He came to tell them the truth, whether they liked it or not, and he came to die on that cross so that we might die with him to sin and live to him and to his righteousness.

Jesus went through that horrible death on that cross, not just to forgive us our sins, but to eradicate sin from our lives, but not just to remove the punishment of it, but to remove our bondage to it. He came to put sin to death in our lives so we would now walk in righteousness and holiness.

Peace or Division?

Many people paint this unrealistic picture of Jesus as this meek and mild man who just went around doing good to everyone. Yes, he healed the sick and afflicted, raised the dead, delivered from demons, and comforted the sorrowful, but he spoke truth into people’s lives, and he was hated for it.

Jesus did not teach the Christian life as this life of ease and comfort, either, nor of Christians getting together just to have a good time and to crack jokes, and to play games, and to watch movies and to talk about everything in this world, but to not talk about him.

Jesus also did not teach that we can believe in him, be forgiven of our sins, go to heaven when we die, that nothing can take that away from us, and that we can continue living in deliberate and habitual sin against him, while claiming that God’s grace covers it all.

Jesus taught a crucified life which meant leaving our old lives behind us to follow him in obedience to his commands, and to do what he says to do, to go wherever he sends us, and to say whatever he gives us to say, even if we are hated and persecuted for it in return.

And he taught that if we follow him with our lives wholeheartedly, and if he truly is owner and master of our lives, and we are teaching what he taught, that we are going to be hated, not loved by everyone. And he taught that we will be treated like he was treated, even put to death for our faith.

So, the Christian life that he taught does not “make nice” with the world, but if offends the world because it speaks of holiness, righteousness, and forsaking sins to follow Jesus in obedience. And the flesh of humans resists that and fights against it because the flesh doesn’t want to let go.

So, when we decide to go with Jesus 100%, and we do and say the kinds of things he did and said, people are going to turn against us, even people from our own households, from our own families, from our church fellowships, and from our neighborhoods, etc.

I remember, after the death of a particular pastor’s wife, how so many people described her as a fine Christian woman because everyone loved her. But does that make us fine Christians just because everyone loves us? No! For, if everyone loves us, we aren’t “rocking any boats.”

If Jesus came, not to bring peace, but division, and to turn our family members against us because of our walks of faith, and if the Scriptures teach that the world should not love us as its own, because Jesus called us out of the world, but that we should be hated as he was, something is wrong with our Christian lives if everyone loves us.

We are to stand out as different. We are not to blend in with the world. We are to be going against the flow, and we are not to be going along with what the majority says. We should be walking the narrow road which few travel but which leads to righteousness and to eternal life with God.

On social media, there should be few who genuinely follow us and who respond to our posts if we are posting Scripture (not just the ones that make everyone feel good) and if we are teaching what the Scriptures teach in their fulness and in context.

And we should be experiencing people avoiding us, not wanting to associate with us, rejecting, hating, and persecuting us, not because we are doing wrong, but because we are following Jesus and because we are living lives which are separate from the world because we are being made to be like Jesus.

Seek the Lord

Based off Isaiah 55

Freely, God pardons him.

He also said that gospel was not meant for us gentiles (Matthew 10:5-7)

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,572.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Don't take this the wrong way brother. I think you're oversimplifying the message and setting an improper precedence on how you evaluate people and Christian living. There is a time for everything under the sun as king Solomon said. There are times you need to be understanding and there are times you need to confront. The wisdom to know when each is applied is where we seek God's guidance.

If you're nothing but a person that keeps "rocking the boat" for the purpose of being belligerent because you believe that is what God wants and demands, you'll find that you're the reason that people around you feel disgusted by God. They will see you as the product of "God's teachings" - no better than a non-believers and maybe worst than a non-believer.

Jesus is not the always meek and mild. But He does have His meek and mild moments. Jesus is not high strung all the time. There are times that He is harsh, but there are times He is not.

Do unto others what you want others to do unto you. Judge not for you will be judge. In all things do with the wisdom and temperance of God. Amen.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

Why Jesus Came

Peace or Division?

Seek the Lord

Based off Isaiah 55

Freely, God pardons him.

When will you learn? Jesus came to be the Word in the flesh, so that people might be able to see the face of God and live.
He came to tend His sheep; to lead them, to comfort them, and to chastise them when they went after their own ways.
But in all things, He did this for their benefit, that they might learn from Him.
Certainly the time is coming when this time of teaching is over, and we will be expected to have learned what has been taught.
But it is good to remember that the punishment and the chastise ment will be metted out on those who have strayed from the shelter of The Father.
Those who have remained close to God and to His son, Jesus, will find in Him a good and loving Father, ready to protect and shelter them in the folds of His robe, from that which is to come.
Remember that just as holy fire refines and purifies, it also destroys that which remains unprotected.
Find your strength and wisdom in the Lord, our God, and lean not on the ways of fragile men, who offer false hope.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

That is a verse that you have taken grossly out of context. That was a command given to the disciples at that specific moment for what they were commanded to do by Jesus at that specific time. Matthew 28:16-20, Mark 16:14-18

Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

Amen! He has special purpose of us all followers. And the more you do for Him the more adversary will attack on you. But gladly God has equipped us with the armor of God. It is our responsibility to wear it.

Yes truly some family members and friends will abandon us but I certainly believe also that like canaanite woman, her faith saved her children too. God bless. ”You and your household” if your faith is strong, miracles happen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Jesus is God. He might bring division but He doesn't tell us to be harsh even when correcting others.

Hebrews 12:14 NIV
Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.

Ephesians 4:14-16
14 Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming. 15
Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ. 16 From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.

Ephesians 4:32 (see my signature below)

Matthew 5:9

Proverbs 12:20

Romans 12:18

James 3:17

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is a verse that you have taken grossly out of context. That was a command given to the disciples at that specific moment for what they were commanded to do by Jesus at that specific time. Matthew 28:16-20, Mark 16:14-18

So when Peter told Cornelius it was against the Law for him to associate with gentiles in Acts 10, did he understand those 2 passages the way you understood them?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Respectly and in love, I disagree.

Acts 26:15-18
“ ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,’ the Lord replied. 16 ‘Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen and will see of me. 17 I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them 18 to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.’

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Respectly and in love, I disagree.

Acts 26:15-18
“ ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,’ the Lord replied. 16 ‘Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen and will see of me. 17 I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them 18 to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.’

Yes, Paul was sent to the gentiles specifically, with the gospel of the grace of God, not the gospel of the kingdom, which was only meant for Israel.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So when Peter told Cornelius it was against the Law for him to associate with gentiles in Acts 10, did he understand those 2 passages the way you understood them?

Considering that Paul and Peter almost came to blows over Peter's treatment of the Gentiles and his wanting to put the same restrictions on them that the Hebrews couldn't even fulfill themselves, yes...Peter was wrong. There is only one Gospel, and that is the Gospel of Jesus Christ that all who believe in Him will have eternal life, that all who believe in Him are heirs with God and co-heirs with Christ. Anything else is a false gospel.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Considering that Paul and Peter almost came to blows over Peter's treatment of the Gentiles and his wanting to put the same restrictions on them that the Hebrews couldn't even fulfill themselves, yes...Peter was wrong. There is only one Gospel, and that is the Gospel of Jesus Christ that all who believe in Him will have eternal life, that all who believe in Him are heirs with God and co-heirs with Christ. Anything else is a false gospel.

Because Peter did not understand those 2 passages the way you understood them, you therefore conclude he was wrong and you are correct?

Peter and the other apostles spent 40 days with the resurrected Christ learning about the gospel of the kingdom (Acts 1:3)

I would rather conclude he is correct, but we can agree to disagree. Be blessed!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Because so many people loved her, her light shone before others.

I don't want to rock a boat and cause someone to drown. I'd rather be the hand that rocks the cradle and an obedient follower of Jesus.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,356,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't take this the wrong way brother. I think you're oversimplifying the message and setting an improper precedence on how you evaluate people and Christian living. There is a time for everything under the sun as king Solomon said. There are times you need to be understanding and there are times you need to confront. The wisdom to know when each is applied is where we seek God's guidance.

If you're nothing but a person that keeps "rocking the boat" for the purpose of being belligerent because you believe that is what God wants and demands, you'll find that you're the reason that people around you feel disgusted by God. They will see you as the product of "God's teachings" - no better than a non-believers and maybe worst than a non-believer.

Jesus is not the always meek and mild. But He does have His meek and mild moments. Jesus is not high strung all the time. There are times that He is harsh, but there are times He is not.

Do unto others what you want others to do unto you. Judge not for you will be judge. In all things do with the wisdom and temperance of God. Amen.
Sister here, not brother. You made several presumptions about me that are not true, and so do not represent what I said. Jesus said that the world will not love us as its own if we follow him for he called us out of the world. But he said the world will hate us. Therefore, if everyone loves us, we are not standing out as different from the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums