Apr 19, 2002
Arizona
Visit site
✟11,974.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
I have read that the early manuscripts of Matthew called Barabbas by his full name, Jesus Barabbas, but that his first name was later removed according to Early Church Father's desire not to confuse the Lord's name with a common criminal. Barabbas is a name that means Son of the Father, or as Abba was another name for God in biblical times it could have meant the Son of God. When one considers that Christ is the Greek translation for Messiah or Kingly One or King, we have an interesting situation.

This would mean that Pilate gave the crowd a choice of either setting free Jesus the King of the Jews, or Jesus the Son of God.

Whattayathink?

TWells

Mar 1, 2003
TN
✟737.00
Faith
Other Religion
Hey TScott :wave:

TScott said:
I have read that the early manuscripts of Matthew called Barabbas by his full name, Jesus Barabbas, but that his first name was later removed according to Early Church Father's desire not to confuse the Lord's name with a common criminal.

Ive never heard of this...do you know of the particular manuscripts or any cites for this?

Barabbas is a name that means Son of the Father, or as Abba was another name for God in biblical times it could have meant the Son of God. When one considers that Christ is the Greek translation for Messiah or Kingly One or King, we have an interesting situation.

This would mean that Pilate gave the crowd a choice of either setting free Jesus the King of the Jews, or Jesus the Son of God.

Whattayathink?

"Abba" was not a term used for God. Jesus was setting somewhat of a precedent there. It was simply a word for "Father" so Barabbas means literally "son of the father"

In Christ,

Travis

Upvote 0

TScott

Curmudgeon
Apr 19, 2002
Arizona
Visit site
✟11,974.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
TWells said:
Hey TScott :wave:

Ive never heard of this...do you know of the particular manuscripts or any cites for this?

It's pretty common knowledge that the original MSS of Matthew used his complete name, Travis. Do a Google search on "Jesus Barabbas".

It is also common knowledge that Abba was and still is another name used for God, although I agree the literal translation is more like "the father."

Upvote 0

TWells

Mar 1, 2003
TN
✟737.00
Faith
Other Religion
Hey TScott,

TScott said:
It's pretty common knowledge that the original MSS of Matthew used his complete name, Travis. Do a Google search on "Jesus Barabbas".

I see what you're referring to. From what I can tell they believe it was first Origen that left it out believing a criminal shouldnt have the name "Jesus".

It is also common knowledge that Abba was and still is another name used for God, although I agree the literal translation is more like "the father."

However I completely dissagree with you about this. "Abba" was not used as a name for God. It would have been considered irreverent and almost blasphemous by the Jews to basically call YHWH "daddy". Jesus used it showing the uniqueness of the relationship He claimed to have with God. Although it has been argued by some that the lower classes used the term for God there is no evidence to support that.

Upvote 0

TScott

Curmudgeon
Apr 19, 2002
Arizona
Visit site
✟11,974.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
TWells said:
Hey TScott,

However I completely dissagree with you about this. "Abba" was not used as a name for God. It would have been considered irreverent and almost blasphemous by the Jews to basically call YHWH "daddy". Jesus used it showing the uniqueness of the relationship He claimed to have with God. Although it has been argued by some that the lower classes used the term for God there is no evidence to support that.

Abba was used by the Dualist Judaean sect of Zoroastrians, and was used by Aramic speaking Gnostic sects as well, but that is what makes all this so interesting! Jesus was a Jew and in a prayer at Gesthemene himself he said Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee.... Now one question that comes to mind is this: If Abba translated into Greek is "father" then why wasn't this translated as "Father, father," or even "Abba Abba?" (This has actually been debated for 2 thousand years.) St. Paul, another Jew, uses the same phrase in 2 of his letters: in Galations he says, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father... and in Romans he says, For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

So anyway I would certainly not say that Abba was not used as a name for God.

Upvote 0