Nov 1, 2004
✟16,723.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
carmi said:
I read about this some time ago but now I searched and I did find this link:

That's not the link I wanted. I was not looking for an excavation/proof about the actual dating but an article about proof this verse

".... and the wall of the city shall down flat, and the people shall ASCEND UP every man straight before him."
Joshua 6:5

I remember I having read an article that the walls fell inside out.

Have to continue looking for that one :)

Upvote 0

justified

Oct 8, 2005
✟8,831.00
Faith
Protestant
On, Jericho,

There's been perennial argument over this site and the biblical account. There's a lot left to be proven on either account, really. I've been there and seen the excavations. Kenyon, a brilliant woman, is the originator of more conservative and decidedly post-structuralist type of archaeology. That is to say that she doesn't uncover an entire site.

With Jericho, it's more than simply a matter of dating. There are reasons why Kenyon didn't think Jericho matched the Jericho of the OT (better than Wood's 'argument'). More than that, what hasn't been found at any point was the evidence of the destruction!

Upvote 0

bertie

Oct 25, 2005
enderby bc canada
✟1,283.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
CA-Greens
Did you even read the link provided?there is ample evidence that the hebrews burned the city after destroying it.Even to leaving the grain to burn.There is a meter thick layer of ashes and debris that radio carbon dates to within ten yrs of the date it was destroyed!Go back and read the link!

Upvote 0

FreezBee

Veteran
Nov 1, 2005
Southern Copenhagen
✟1,704.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
bertie said:
Did you even read the link provided?there is ample evidence that the hebrews burned the city after destroying it.Even to leaving the grain to burn.There is a meter thick layer of ashes and debris that radio carbon dates to within ten yrs of the date it was destroyed!Go back and read the link!

Not to be difficult, but this far we have no evidence of any Hebrews burning Jericho :)

The city may have been destroyed by someone else or it may have been exposed to an eartquake. We need to take one step at a time.

Anyway, here's a link to a page with more arguments for that Jericho was inhabited around 1400 bce:

http://bibleplaces.com/bolen/jericho.html

But, as said, even if the city was inhabited, we don't know from that, how it was destroyed!

- FreezBee

Upvote 0

archaeologist

Jun 16, 2007
✟16,313.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
actually kenyon is wrong and she did base her datings on what she did not find. her problem was that other cities given different dates than jericho (around the 1400 b.c. mark) were missing the same pottery.

dating is very subjective, even the pottery scale for there are just too many options available for them to be accurate.

people own antiques, museums hold on to ancient pieces, even then and so on. the rush to judgement without considering all the possibilities is common.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rudolph Hucker

Jun 26, 2007
Canberra ACT
✟19,303.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
actually kenyon is wrong and she did base her datings on what she did not find. her problem was that other cities given different dates than jericho (around the 1400 b.c. mark) were missing the same pottery.

dating is very subjective, even the pottery scale for there are just too many options available for them to be accurate.

people own antiques, museums hold on to ancient pieces, even then and so on. the rush to judgement without considering all the possibilities is common.
Are you sure about that date Archie?

http://www.varchive.org/ce/jericho.htm

Has there been any work done since Kenyon?

Upvote 0

français

Atheist/CA-Bloc Québécois/US-Democrat
Oct 2, 2006
Montréal, Québec
✟21,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Bloc
We can not really trust archaeological findings that much.

For example.. Let us take the city of Houston for example.. In 1910, it was a tiny city.. I think ti had like 40,000 people(whereas now it has 2 million!)

So, you are an archaeologist and you are interested in finding some older houses from 1910..

Houston has grown a ton.. It is probably 50 times bigger in terms of land size and all.

Originally, Houston was settled around the coast.(I am not 100% accurate, just making this as a story.) However, let's say they dig somewhere about 20 minutes SOUTH of the coast..

More then likely, they will not find anything.. They are digging in HOUSTON, but not where they should be.

Archeology is still very skechy. We can not always trust it, as there are many fallacies in it. Many things change too over time.

Also, when these cities are investigated.. I mean come on now.. They do a small dig of an area not even the size of a small bedroom.. You can't find much in such a small place!

Reactions: FallingWaters
Upvote 0

flaja

Feb 9, 2006
✟521.00
Faith
Non-Denom
On, Jericho,

There's been perennial argument over this site and the biblical account. There's a lot left to be proven on either account, really. I've been there and seen the excavations. Kenyon, a brilliant woman, is the originator of more conservative and decidedly post-structuralist type of archaeology. That is to say that she doesn't uncover an entire site.

With Jericho, it's more than simply a matter of dating. There are reasons why Kenyon didn't think Jericho matched the Jericho of the OT (better than Wood's 'argument'). More than that, what hasn't been found at any point was the evidence of the destruction!

If you determine a chronology for Biblical events that is wrong and then you start looking for collaborating evidence to support the accuracy of the Bible, what hope can you have of finding any?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums