✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Jellyfish Christianity

(J.C. Ryle) http://gracegems.org/2011/11/11.html

"The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin!" 1 John 1:7

One plague of our age, is the widespread dislike to sound doctrine. In the place of it, the idol of the day is a kind of jellyfish Christianity--a Christianity without bone, or muscle, or sinew--without any distinct teaching about the atonement, or the work of the Spirit, or justification, or the way of peace with God--a vague, foggy, misty Christianity, of which the only watchwords seem to be, "You must be liberal and kind. You must condemn no man's doctrinal views. You must think everybody is right--and nobody is wrong."

And this spineless kind of religion, we are told, is to give us peace of conscience! And not to be satisfied with it in a sorrowful, dying world--is a proof that we are very narrow-minded! Satisfied, indeed! Such a religion might possibly do for unfallen angels! But to tell sinful, dying men and women to be satisfied with it--is an insult to common sense and a mockery of our distress. We need something far better than this. We need the sin-atoning blood of Christ!

[SIZE=+0]~ ~ ~ ~ ~[/SIZE]
We have published James Smith's comforting 2 page article, "The Priest on His Throne!"

Grace Gems!

Last edited:

ChrisPharmD

Jan 15, 2012
✟7,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well in a world where every church is different, every interpretation of the Bible is different, and MAN passing the teachings along, it's very very VERY difficult to have sound evidence of what's right.

I can talk to one Baptist and get one thought about a concept of the Bible and get something COMPLETELY different from another.

It's not always necessarily about the commitment of the person or the intention. It's usually what we have to work with. How can you blame a child for learning from an unreliable source? He has no idea that what he's learning is wrong.

And THAT IS WHY there is this "jellyfish" Christianity. You honestly think that if we knew the REAL truth that we wouldn't accept it? Any person with any sort of brain would accept something that they KNEW was true. In Christianity, we accept what we hear and believe to be true. Oftentimes, it's based on other factors such as parenting, friends, emotional feelings, etc. Chances are, you never changed religions... or heck... I bet you never even changed denomination though out your life. That's just the way it is.

Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Chances are, you never changed religions... or heck... I bet you never even changed denomination though out your life. That's just the way it is.
You'd be wrong. I didn't become a Christian until three months before my 41st birthday, and I did not become a Southern Baptist, I became a Christian who was saved in a Southern Baptist church. I've attended Evangelical Free churches and non-denominational churches, mostly of the Reformed variety. I did not find salvation in a denomination, I found it in Christ. He was preached in an SBC church, and I've found Him preached in those others as well. I'm not saying there aren't problems with what is commonly referred to as "mainstream" Christianity in the media. Those so-called "mainstream" churches preach a milquetoast faith in Christ, I agree. I don't agree, however, that is the majority of teaching going on in this country. I believe the media chooses to think those churches are mainstream, but the reality is they are in the minority. The type of churches I attend are actually the majority Christian institutions in the US.

Upvote 0

phoenixdem

Nov 28, 2010
South Dakota
✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If that is the kind of church you're seeing, you need to change churches. It certainly isn't the attitude or teaching of my church. I find very few churches that adhere to the "milquetoast doctrine" described in the articles you linked.

Ok, you're fortunate. Many people don't have your luck. I don't need to change churches.

Upvote 0

strelok0017

_______
Sep 23, 2011
✟13,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I don't really know what to say but I don't want to condemn anybody. What surprises me, and honestly shocks me, is how many Christians today are trying to "mold" the Bible to fit the scientific, mostly even atheistic view of the world, creation and evolution. If the early Church was like that I doubt that we would even have our Bibles today. We have to stand for the truth no matter what the world says. The persecution will one day be over and the last thing we need now is to condemn each other. We need the truth. Ultimate sovereignty of God and I believe nothing else will put steel in our backbone or if you like the picture of a boat, it will put ballast in the boats of our lives so that when no matter what comes we will stand. Without this it's so easy to start questioning Bible texts.

Upvote 0

Living in the Light

How may I be a better Christian?
Jan 7, 2012
United States
✟16,371.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I like a church worship service to have a certain aspect of holiness about it. I think that many of the megachurches are trying to appeal to a large segment of the population, especially the young. Consequently, the services have a feel of a secular gathering about it rather than worship. Rock music with hip looking performers and a bland feel good message from the pastor is not my idea of "spiritual fuel" that fires me up and brings passion to my life the rest of the week. I now go to a traditional smaller church service. I can definitely feel the Presence now. The right church is everything.

Reactions: Damascus
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread has had a clean up.
A number of off topic posts were removed along with other posts.

You need to stay on topic. If you feel a post is a violation, please report it - do not flame in response.

Upvote 0

phoenixdem

Nov 28, 2010
South Dakota
✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If anyone is seriously concerned about Copyright policy on the posted material, and there is only one that I know of, this might be of use.

Copyright policy
We frequently get requests asking for permission to use literature from Grace Gems. Since everything on our website is public domain, there is no need to ask permission.

We encourage others to use our literature in any way they desire. Forward it to others — add it to your website — put it in your church bulletins — make it into books or booklets for distribution.

Also, feel free to add a "link" to Grace Gems! on your website — there is no need to ask for permission.

Grace Gems!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums