Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
WILL SOMEONE WHO KNOWS PROPER ANCIENT GREEK DEBUNK THIS FOR ME!

This is a link they have to defend their translation. Defend Jehovah's Witnesses: John 8:58 - The Translation “I Am” is Verbal Nonsense and Grammatically Erroneous

NIV Exodus 3:14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

NWT (New World Translation - JW bible) Exodus 3:14 So God said to Moses: “I Will Become What I Choose to Become.” And he added: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘I Will Become has sent me to you.’"

Here is a link to some parallels, notice that they all say I AM and not I Will Become - Exodus 3:14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

Now for the interlinear part. Exodus 3:14 Lexicon: God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

I AM (ehyeh: Strongs 1961) WHO (asher 834) I AM (ehyeh 1961)

And now John 8:58

NIV "Very truly I tell you," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"

NWT Jesus said to them: “Most truly I say to you, before Abraham came into existence, I have been.”

Parallels - John 8:58 Parallel: Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Interlinear - John 8:58 Lexicon: Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."

I am (eimi 1510)

Jehovah's Witnesses try to say everyone else translated it wrong. Please prove to me otherwise.

Last edited:

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't waste my time with them personally, we are told to separate ourselves from those preaching another gospel message.
My family is riddled with them. I want to cross my t's and dot my i's. They actually make valid points in their translations as long as the listener or reader doesn't know proper ancient Greek. I want to do some evangelizing and apologetics in my own family.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

This is a link they have to defend their translation. Defend Jehovah's Witnesses: John 8:58 - The Translation “I Am” is Verbal Nonsense and Grammatically Erroneous

NIV Exodus 3:14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

NWT (New World Translation - JW bible) Exodus 3:14 So God said to Moses: “I Will Become What I Choose to Become.” And he added: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘I Will Become has sent me to you.’"

Here is a link to some parallels, notice that they all say I AM and not I Will Become - Exodus 3:14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

Now for the interlinear part. Exodus 3:14 Lexicon: God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

NWT Jesus said to them: “Most truly I say to you, before Abraham came into existence, I have been.”

Parallels - John 8:58 Parallel: Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Interlinear - John 8:58 Lexicon: Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."

I am (eimi 1510)

Jehovah's Witnesses try to say everyone else translated it wrong. Please prove to me otherwise.

You don't have to get into that , they try to play the bad translation or language card . You can take thier own Bible which was changed and debunk them with thier Bible quoting from it because they claim to have "the truth " .

You quote Isaiah 44:6
Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Ask who is speaking here ? They will answer Jehovah .

Then you quote Revelation 22:13
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

Then you quote this one Revelation 1:17
And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

Then you continue with vers 18
I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Then you ask when did Jehovah God die ?
They will be clueless and crushed inside , either angry or willing to listen to gospel because you just destroyed the core of thier faith.

Jehovah witness is Christianity without Christ in short .

Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You don't have to get into that , they try to play the bad translation or language card . You can take thier own Bible which was changed and debunk them with thier Bible quoting from it because they claim to have "the truth " .

You quote Isaiah 44:6
Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Then you quote Revelation 22:13
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

Then you quote this one Revelation 1:17
And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

Then you continue with vers 18
I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Then you ask when did Jehovah God die ?
They will be clueless and crushed inside , either angry or willing to listen to gospel because you just destroyed the core of thier faith.

Jehovah witness is Christianity without Christ in short .
I think we have a winner

NWT Revelations1:18 and the living one, and I became dead, but look! I am living forever and ever, and I have the keys of death and of the Grave

Keep it coming :D

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I am (eimi 1510)

I have not read thru the NWT so I cannot fully comment on it.
I think we have a winner

NWT Revelations1:18 and the living one, and I became dead, but look! I am living forever and ever, and I have the keys of death and of the Grave

Keep it coming :D
You and/or others might want to check this post out:

Revelation Chapter 1 Verses
The Great I AM
Reve 1:17
And when I saw Him, I did fall at His feet as dead, and He placed his right hand upon me, saying to me,
'Be not afraid! I/egw<1473> AM/eimi<1510> the First and the Las
t

In regards to the word "become" in these verses, it appears the NWT is fairly accurate concerning the word "become".

The Hebrew word #H1961 is very similar to the Greek word #G1096, both with a number of different meanings. Hope this helps.

#H1961:

Strong's Concordance with Hebrew and Greek Lexicon

01961 hayah
{haw-yaw}
a primitive root [compare 01933]; TWOT - 491; v
1) to be, become, come to pass, exist, happen, fall out 1a) (Qal) 1a1) ----- \7 1a1a) to happen, fall out, occur, take place, come about, come to pass
1a1b) to come about, come to pass
1a2) to come into being, become
1a2a) to arise, appear, come
1a2b) to become
1a2b1) to become
1a2b2) to become like
1a2b3) to be instituted, be established

ISA) Exodus 3:
12 And He is saying: "That I Shall Be/הָיָה (hayah)<1961> with thee, and this for thee the-Sign that I sent thee in to bring forth thy the people out of Egypt. Ye shall serve The-'Elohiym on this Mountain.'
13 And- Mosheh -is-saying to The-'Elohiym" Behold! I coming to sons of Yisra'el and I say to them, 'Elohiym of your fathers, He sends me to you'.
And they have said to me, 'What Name of Him'? What shall I say to them"?
14 :And 'Elohiym is saying to Mosheh, "I-shall-be/הָיָה (hayah)<1961> who I-shall-be/הָיָה (hayah)<1961>".
And-He saying "Thus you shall say to sons of Yisra'el, 'I-shall-be/הָיָה (hayah)<1961>, He-sent-me unto-you
'".

Here is #G1096:

NWT )John 8:58
Jesus said to them: “Most truly I say to you,
before Abraham came into existence, I have been genesqai<1096>.”

ISA) John 8:58
Said to them, [the] Jesus,
amen/ἀμήν (amēn)<281>,amen/ἀμήν (amēn)<281>, I am saying to ye,
before Abraham to be becoming/genesqai<1096>, I/egw<1473> AM/eimi<1510>.”
John 8:58
eipen autoiV o ihsouV amhn amhn legw umin prin abraam genesqai egw eimi

1096. ginomai ghin'-om-ahee
a prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be ("gen"-erate), i.e. (reflexively) to become (come into being),
used with great latitude (literal, figurative, intensive, etc.):--arise, be assembled, be(-come, -fall, -have self), be brought (to pass), (be) come (to pass), continue, be divided, draw, be ended, fall, be finished, follow, be found, be fulfilled, + God forbid, grow, happen, have, be kept, be made, be married, be ordained to be, partake, pass, be performed, be published, require, seem, be showed, X soon as it was, sound, be taken, be turned, use, wax, will, would, be wrought.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have not read thru the NWT so I cannot fully comment on it.

You and/or others might want to check this post out:

Revelation Chapter 1 Verses
The Great I AM

In regards to the word "become" in these verses, it appears the NWT is fairly accurate concerning the word "become".

The Hebrew word #H1961 is very similar to the Greek word #G1096, both with a number of different meanings. Hope this helps.

#H1961:

01961 hayah {haw-yaw}
a primitive root [compare 01933]; TWOT - 491; v
1) to be, become, come to pass, exist, happen, fall out 1a) (Qal) 1a1) ----- \7 1a1a) to happen, fall out, occur, take place, come about, come to pass
1a1b) to come about, come to pass
1a2) to come into being, become
1a2a) to arise, appear, come
1a2b) to become
1a2b1) to become
1a2b2) to become like
1a2b3) to be instituted, be established

ISA) Exodus 3:
12 And He is saying: "That I Shall Be/הָיָה (hayah)<1961> with thee, and this for thee the-Sign that I sent thee in to bring forth thy the people out of Egypt. Ye shall serve The-'Elohiym on this Mountain.'
13 And- Mosheh -is-saying to The-'Elohiym" Behold! I coming to sons of Yisra'el and I say to them, 'Elohiym of your fathers, He sends me to you'.
And they have said to me, 'What Name of Him'? What shall I say to them"?
14 :And 'Elohiym is saying to Mosheh, "I-shall-be/הָיָה (hayah)<1961> who I-shall-be/הָיָה (hayah)<1961>".
And-He saying "Thus you shall say to sons of Yisra'el, 'I-shall-be/הָיָה (hayah)<1961>, He-sent-me unto-you
'".

Here is #G1096:

NWT )John 8:58
Jesus said to them: “Most truly I say to you,
before Abraham came into existence, I have been genesqai<1096>.”

ISA) John 8:58
Said to them, [the] Jesus,
amen/ἀμήν (amēn)<281>,amen/ἀμήν (amēn)<281>, I am saying to ye,
before Abraham to be becoming/genesqai<1096>, I/egw<1473> AM/eimi<1510>.”
John 8:58
eipen autoiV o ihsouV amhn amhn legw umin prin abraam genesqai egw eimi

1096. ginomai ghin'-om-ahee
a prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be ("gen"-erate), i.e. (reflexively) to become (come into being),
used with great latitude (literal, figurative, intensive, etc.):--arise, be assembled, be(-come, -fall, -have self), be brought (to pass), (be) come (to pass), continue, be divided, draw, be ended, fall, be finished, follow, be found, be fulfilled, + God forbid, grow, happen, have, be kept, be made, be married, be ordained to be, partake, pass, be performed, be published, require, seem, be showed, X soon as it was, sound, be taken, be turned, use, wax, will, would, be wrought.
Thank you so much for the post I actually had to whip out my hardcover interlinear bible because ego (1473) wasn't in the online tool, this ought to get interesting...

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

I am (eimi 1510)

The LXX (Septuagint) which is used in the NT has "eimi" in Greek for AM in Ex 3:14. It's Present, Active, Indicative. The JW's have it wrong when they translate it as future.

Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If anyone didn't read the original link I wanted debunked it says this, "The Jews were asking Jesus how long he had been around, not who he was. Grammatically, it must be translated in a way that indicates existence that started in the past and continues to the present."

NIV John 8:53 "Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?"

NWT You are not greater than our father Abraham, who died, are you? The prophets also died. Who do you claim to be?”

Lexicon indicates τίνα is the word used, but the number is 5101 and the word for the number is τίς, τί

Either tina or tis is fine because neither indicate anywhere in the bible this word describing "when" and instead the majority as "who" and then "what" or "which"

Therefore Jesus would NOT have answered with "I have been" but instead as I AM.

Their argument self destructs.

They lied in plain sight. And nobody caught it.

I win this one :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thank you so much for the post I actually had to whip out my hardcover interlinear bible because ego (1473) wasn't in the online tool, this ought to get interesting...
Here are some more verses for #H1961:

1st time used"

lISA)Gene 1:2
the earth/land became/הָיָה (hayah)<1961> waste and void,
and darkness is upon the face of the deep/abyss,
and a spirit of 'Elohiym fluttering on the face of the waters

Last time used:
[I just now noticed some versions use "LORD of Armies" instead of LORD of Hosts.] Interesting.

Christian Standard Bible
Malachi 4:3
You will trample the wicked, for they will be/shall become/הָיָה (hayah)<1961> ashes under the soles of your feet
on the day I am preparing," says the LORD of Armies
/.צָבָא (tsaba')<6635>

6635 tsaba' tsaw-baw' or (feminine) tsbadah {tseb-aw-aw'}; from 6633; a mass of persons (or figuratively, things), especially reg. organized for war (an army);...............

Reve 19:14
And the armies/στράτευμα (strateuma)<4753> in the heaven were following Him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen -- white and pure;

4753. strateuma strat'-yoo-mah from 4754; an armament, i.e. (by implication) a body of troops (more or less extensive or systematic):--army, soldier, man of war.

Exodus 15:3
YAHWEH is a Man of War, YAHWEH name of HIM.

Last edited:
Reactions: LLoJ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The LXX (Septuagint) which is used in the NT has "eimi" in Greek for AM in Ex 3:14.
It's Present, Active, Indicative. The JW's have it wrong when they translate it as future.
Interesting.
It has been awhile since I looked at the LXX.

https://www.septuagint.bible/#

Exodus:3
14 καὶ εἶπεν ὁ Θεὸς πρὸς Μωυσῆν λέγων· ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν. καὶ εἶπεν· οὕτως ἐρεῖς τοῖς υἱοῖς ᾿Ισραήλ· ὁ ὢν ἀπέσταλκέ με πρὸς ὑμᾶς.

1473. ego eg-o' a primary pronoun of the first person I (only expressed when emphatic):--I, me. For the other cases and the plural see 1691, 1698, 1700, 2248, 2249, 2254, 2257, etc.
1510. eimi i-mee' the first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist (used only when emphatic):--am, have been, X it is I, was. See also 1488, 1498, 1511, 1527, 2258, 2071, 2070, 2075, 2076, 2771, 2468, 5600.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I guess my question now would be when would it be okay to use eimi in the past tense as in "have been"

Would it actually be more grammatically appropriate to say have been instead of I am?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Another example of #H1961 #G1096:

The Hebrew part of this doesn't show tenses, plural/sing, gender etc. like the Greek part does.
Here are some screen shots [click on it to make it larger]

Scripture4All - Greek/Hebrew interlinear Bible software

Exodus 3:14

upload_2018-6-20_13-39-31.png

The last time that form of the word #G1096 in John 8:58 is used is in Reve 22:6

upload_2018-6-20_13-45-57.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's a copulative verb, so technically it can be used in multiple tenses, iirc

" I am "
" I will be "
" I was "

Therefore it merely confirms what we know about Christ, always existing, past present and future

iow = eternal
Thanks for the input brother. For the sake of this debate I would like to know what the correct tense it should be translated into English in john 8:58

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Valetic said:
Thanks for the input brother. For the sake of this debate I would like to know what the correct tense it should be translated into English in Joh 8:58
With the ISA interlinear, you can click on a Greek word and it will show every instance of where that exact word form is used.
[are there any other questions about translation?]

The last time that the exact form of the word "eimi" used in John 8:58 is used in Revelation 22:16

upload_2018-6-20_14-41-6.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DaveDavids

May 30, 2018
asheville
✟17,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the input brother. For the sake of this debate I would like to know what the correct tense it should be translated into English in john 8:58

As a copulative it would be " To be " [+nominative = something, someone]

If you look at the descendant - είμαι , it's primary use is as a simple past tense used to describe something that happened in the past, formed by the inflection of a single word, without any auxiliary verb such as be or have

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I am (eimi 1510)

cant help re hebrew, but no complete list of thier qualified translators exists because most were not qualified to be translating hebrew to English and they had ulterior motive back in 1950.
one huge motive was that it was becoming widley known that thier doctrines Do NOT
match the bible!
so THIER solution was....change the bible .

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
As a copulative it would be " To be " [+nominative = something, someone]

If you look at the descendant - είμαι , it's primary use is as a simple past tense used to describe something that happened in the past, formed by the inflection of a single word, without any auxiliary verb such as be or have
#G1511

The NASB shows it occurs 0 times. Interesting [problem with a Greek text maybe?]

Strong's Concordance with Hebrew and Greek Lexicon

Strong's Number G1511 matches the Greek εἶναι (einai),
which occurs 0 times in 0 verses in the Greek concordance of the NASB

Strong's Number G1511 matches the Greek εἶναι (einai),
which occurs 126 times in 124 verses in the Greek concordance of the KJV

1511. einai i'-nahee present infinitive from 1510; to exist:--am, was. come, is, X lust after, X please well, there is, to be, was.

Now this is astounding.
Out of the 126 times used in the NT, it is used only 3 times in Revelation,
those being 3 of the 7 Churches:

Revelation chapter 2 verse by verse study

Reve 2: [2:2 in Ephesus.......2:9 in Smyrna]
2 I have known thy works, and thy labour, and thy endurance, and that thou art not able to bear evil ones,
and that thou hast tried those saying themselves apostles to be/εἶναι (einai) and not they are, and hast found them liars,
9 I have known thy works, and tribulation, and poverty — yet thou art rich —
and the blasphemy of those saying themselves Judeans to be/εἶναι (einai), and not they are, but [are] a synagogue of the Satan.

Reve 3: [Philadelphia]
9 Behold! I make of the synagogue of the Satan, those saying themselves Judeans to be/εἶναι (einai)<1511> and are not, but they are lying;
Behold! I will make them that they may come and bow before thy feet, and may know that I loved thee.

Last edited:
Upvote 0