• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

Jehovah vs Yahweh

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟138,430.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟321,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I am not responsible for your interpretations of my posts.
Well you posted it so you must agree with it...

You wrote:
YHWH is a transliteration of יהוה (read the Hebrew letters right to left). Yahweh is the current favoured pronunciation of the letters, Jehovah (read like a German would pronounce it) is a much older preferred pronunciation (it sounds more like Yahowah in German), it is a three syllable name whereas Yahweh is two syllables. The LORD is a translation of the name, it is something of a substitution too, since YHWH does not mean "the Lord", it means "I am that I am" or something similar. For Christians "the Lord" is a good choice because it is what Christians have used through the ages until now.

There was NO citation on where the information came from so...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟138,430.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well you posted it so you must agree with it...

You wrote:
YHWH is a transliteration of יהוה (read the Hebrew letters right to left). Yahweh is the current favoured pronunciation of the letters, Jehovah (read like a German would pronounce it) is a much older preferred pronunciation (it sounds more like Yahowah in German), it is a three syllable name whereas Yahweh is two syllables. The LORD is a translation of the name, it is something of a substitution too, since YHWH does not mean "the Lord", it means "I am that I am" or something similar. For Christians "the Lord" is a good choice because it is what Christians have used through the ages until now.

There was NO citation on where the information came from so...
It comes from my reading of many sources. Really, you could find it with a very simple web search. It cannot be new to you.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟321,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It comes from my reading of many sources. Really, you could find it with a very simple web search. It cannot be new to you.
Its not new to me of course, but the way you wrote it, looked like it was what you believed. Is it?

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟321,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟36,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The verse you posted deals with Israel (worshipping other gods), the verse I posted deals with Gentiles (worshipping God). Islam worships what they do not know or understand.
Paul was using tact in reaching the hearts of those men of Athens.
Acts 17:22-25
22 Then Paul stood in the midst of the [a]Areopagus and said, “Men of Athens, I perceive that in all things you are deisidaimonesteros: very fearful of gods, religious, superstitious;​
[They worshiped many gods.]

23 for as I was passing through and considering the objects of your worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO THE UNKNOWN GOD.​
[It appears they worshiped so many gods, they seemed uncertain as to if there were other gods they might have missed, hence they made an alter for even the unknown. Paul use this alter, as a stepping stone to directing their attention to the true God.]

Therefore, the One whom you worship without knowing, Him I proclaim to you:
24 God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. 25 Nor is He worshiped with men’s hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things.

The Israelites worshiped one God, who identified himself by name. Isaiah 42:8; Psalm 83:18
Even when they were unfaithful, they thought that they were still worshiping that one God. They deceived themselves into thinking this.
Exodus 32:5
Literal Standard Version
And Aaron sees, and builds an altar before it, and Aaron calls, and says, “A festival to YHWH—tomorrow”;

Allah, the one and only God in Islam.
Etymologically, the name Allah is probably a contraction of the Arabic al-Ilāh, “the God.” The name’s origin can be traced to the earliest Semitic writings in which the word for god was il, el, or eloah, the latter two used in the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament). Allah is the standard Arabic word for God and is used by Arabic-speaking Christians and Jews as well as by Muslims.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟36,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, "LORD" is a substitution for the name of God, but do you think it is proper to substitute a name with a title that is common to even Gentiles?

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟138,430.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yes, "LORD" is a substitution for the name of God, but do you think it is proper to substitute a name with a title that is common to even Gentiles?
It was done by the Greek translators around 200 BC. Christians used the Greek old testament so they inherited it.

I think it is okay to use "the LORD" instead of YHWH.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟36,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It was done by the Greek translators around 200 BC. Christians used the Greek old testament so they inherited it.

I think it is okay to use "the LORD" instead of YHWH.
May I ask why you think it's okay. Is it okay if I substitute your name with "man" in a book you published? :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟138,430.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
May I ask why you think it's okay. Is it okay if I substitute your name with "man" in a book you published? :)
I think it is okay because the Lord, Jesus Christ, quotes Old Testament passages that contain YHWH using the Greek "the Lord" and because the apostles do the same in their writings.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟226,441.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Which matters more or most when using or calling upon a name?

Getting the sound exactly right, or what is in your mind and heart when you are saying it?

God Bless.
I think God looks upon this issue as a distraction his children get into. Phonics doesn't mean anything to God. One can debate should we use the name Jesus or the Hebrew rendering......but they miss the point. It's what the name means......he would be named Jesus for he will deliver or save his people from their sins. What's important is Jesus or whatever other way in Hebrew you want to say it they both mean Deliverer, Savor who was the Son of the Father God.

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟36,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it is okay because the Lord, Jesus Christ, quotes Old Testament passages that contain YHWH using the Greek "the Lord" and because the apostles do the same in their writings.
Why would Jesus do that?
Are you aware that the copies of the Greek scriptures where LORD is used, are those from the third century A.D. onward, and that by that time, the practice of replacing the Tetragrammaton was common?
So, the practice of erasing the name of God was done by so-called Christians.

Why would Jesus - a man that said, as stated at John 17:6, :I have revealed Your name to those You have given Me out of the world." quote scriptures such as, Deuteronomy 8:3, and follow a common practice of men?
Jesus never followed traditions of men, did he?

Based on what we know, scores of Bible translators have used the Divine name in the Greek scriptures - especially where a direct quotation from the Hebrew scriptures is found.
That makes sense, and seems noble of persons respecting God's name.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟138,430.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Why would Jesus do that?
Are you aware that the copies of the Greek scriptures where LORD is used, are those from the third century A.D. onward, and that by that time, the practice of replacing the Tetragrammaton was common?
So, the practice of erasing the name of God was done by so-called Christians.

Why would Jesus - a man that said, as stated at John 17:6, :I have revealed Your name to those You have given Me out of the world." quote scriptures such as, Deuteronomy 8:3, and follow a common practice of men?
Jesus never followed traditions of men, did he?

Based on what we know, scores of Bible translators have used the Divine name in the Greek scriptures - especially where a direct quotation from the Hebrew scriptures is found.
That makes sense, and seems noble of persons respecting God's name.
Have you been reading the appendix of The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures?

Upvote 0