Jared Kushner’s grandmother on being a refugee: ‘The doors of the world were closed to us’

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jared Kushner, President Donald Trump’s Jewish son-in-law and senior adviser, stayed silent as protests broke out across the country against Trump’s controversial refugee ban — which prohibits for 120 days all refugees and for 90 days citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the country.

But Kushner’s family history was thrust into the spotlight as The Nation reported on testimony of his late grandmother, Rae Kushner, in which she spoke of her struggles as a Nazi-era refugee with nowhere to go.

Rae Kushner was born in 1923 in Novogrudok, a city in Poland occupied by the Soviet Union and then Nazi Germany, to a middle-class Jewish family of six. Only three family members survived the war: Rae Kushner, her father and one of her sisters. And though her father had eight siblings and her mother had three, Rae Kushner was left with only two cousins. During the war, the Nazis turned Novogrudok into a ghetto. Conditions were bad and Nazis would come in at will and kill people.

Rae Kushner escaped the ghetto through an escape tunnel dug by Jews and lived in the woods for nine months with her sister and father. They later smuggled themselves into several countries — the former Czechoslovakia, Austria, Hungary — ending up in a displaced persons camp in Italy.

Rest of the story:

Jared Kushner’s grandmother on being a refugee: ‘The doors of the world were closed to us’

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jared Kushner, President Donald Trump’s Jewish son-in-law and senior adviser, stayed silent as protests broke out across the country against Trump’s controversial refugee ban — which prohibits for 120 days all refugees and for 90 days citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the country.

But Kushner’s family history was thrust into the spotlight as The Nation reported on testimony of his late grandmother, Rae Kushner, in which she spoke of her struggles as a Nazi-era refugee with nowhere to go.

Rae Kushner was born in 1923 in Novogrudok, a city in Poland occupied by the Soviet Union and then Nazi Germany, to a middle-class Jewish family of six. Only three family members survived the war: Rae Kushner, her father and one of her sisters. And though her father had eight siblings and her mother had three, Rae Kushner was left with only two cousins. During the war, the Nazis turned Novogrudok into a ghetto. Conditions were bad and Nazis would come in at will and kill people.

Rae Kushner escaped the ghetto through an escape tunnel dug by Jews and lived in the woods for nine months with her sister and father. They later smuggled themselves into several countries — the former Czechoslovakia, Austria, Hungary — ending up in a displaced persons camp in Italy.

Rest of the story:

First of all, the two are not analogous.

Second, we did send 400,000 Americans to their deaths in order to stop that atrocity. That ought to count for something.

Third, it should be noted that it was FDR and the Progressives who made the decision to turn the away. So it's hypocritical of them to try to claim the moral high ground now.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First of all, the two are not analogous.
I think the newspaper is trying to conflate the 2; NOT Kushner. He was silent about the whole thing.

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't think the Jews were real popular anywhere including America . IMO God raised up America to be a world power and in place when Israel was established in 1947 and support them .... I know one thing and that is I have a heart for Israel that seems almost supernatural .. I consider any enemy of Israel my enemy .. Genesis 12:3

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think the Jews were real popular anywhere including America

Although it's true that there was much anti-Seitism with the Progressives, the Jews being turned away wasn't so much a "Jewish" issue as much as it was an isolation issue

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Although it's true that there was much anti-Seitism with the Progressives, the Jews being turned away wasn't so much a "Jewish" issue as much as it was an isolation issue

Just my thoughts SB . America was pretty racist and we've come a long way . I see re-establishing Israel as the greatest modern day miracle of God , nobody wanted them and they had little or no power to do it on there own . Everything was set in place and imo was the beginning of the prophesy to gather the Jews back to the land of Judah against all odds .. The atrocities and exposing of the death camps opened eyes and sympathy to most of the world . Israel has become the stumbling block to the nations , thank God for our new administration elected just in time , for now anyway

• Agree
Reactions: ken777
Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just my thoughts SB . America was pretty racist and we've come a long way . I see re-establishing Israel as the greatest modern day miracle of God , nobody wanted them and they had little or no power to do it on there own . Everything was set in place and imo was the beginning of the prophesy to gather the Jews back to the land of Judah against all odds .. The atrocities and exposing of the death camps opened eyes and sympathy to most of the world . Israel has become the stumbling block to the nations , thank God for our new administration elected just in time , for now anyway

Maybe. But the fact remains that turning the Jews away still had more to do with isolationism than racism.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe. But the fact remains that turning the Jews away still had more to do with isolationism than racism.

The Depression was going on, and with so many Americans out of work, the US wasn't eager to take in many people from anywhere.

Upvote 0