Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
...do you guys think that because of anime, manga, and video games, Japan is seen by many as mystical or exotic? (sic)
Yes, without a doubt.

...could it be that the anime and video games have intrigued many of us, but really Japan isn't that big of a deal and certainly not the fantasy world we see in their cartoons?
Japan is a huge deal as far as I'm concerned, but if anyone thinks that Japan is like what they see in games and in cartoons, then they are mistaken.

Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Messianic Arabic-Semitic Chinese
Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟170,960.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Ha.Just remember my dear Japanese Christian friends in Beijing China,short but nice.

哈,我還紀念在中國北京遇到的日本基督徒朋友,短暫卻美好。;)

Upvote 0

Breetai

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel...
Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yusuphhai said:
Ha.Just remember my dear Japanese Christian friends in Beijing China,short but nice.

哈,我還紀念在中國北京遇到的日本基督徒朋友,短暫卻美好。;)
Haha! That's so ironically funny.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well, compared to most places, Saitama might as well be part of Tokyo. Seeing that I've spend my time in Japan running around Kyushu and the Hiroshima area, I'm considering Saitama to be part of Tokyo. Of course, I'm sure to someone who's actually in Tokyo, they'd laugh at me for saying that Urawa is in Tokyo.

Taito-ku, not too far from Ueno Kouen and the zoo.
I'll have to look up Ueno Kouen, as I have no idea what that is.

Upvote 0

Overtime_man

Oct 25, 2004
Tokyo
✟16,114.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Breetai said:
Well, compared to most places, Saitama might as well be part of Tokyo. Seeing that I've spend my time in Japan running around Kyushu and the Hiroshima area, I'm considering Saitama to be part of Tokyo. Of course, I'm sure to someone who's actually in Tokyo, they'd laugh at me for saying that Urawa is in Tokyo.

Saitama is the poor man's Tokyo. ;)

I'll have to look up Ueno Kouen, as I have no idea what that is.

It's a big park, probably one of the largest in Tokyo.

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Overtime_man said:
Saitama is the poor man's Tokyo. ;)
So where exactly do you live?

It's a big park, probably one of the largest in Tokyo.
Looks like it's a little ways from where I might be still. I'll need to get a motorbike!

I've heard that getting a Japanese license is a real pain in the :kiss:.

Upvote 0

Overtime_man

Oct 25, 2004
Tokyo
✟16,114.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Breetai said:
So where exactly do you live?

Like I said, Taito-ku, near the park.

Looks like it's a little ways from where I might be still. I'll need to get a motorbike!

Yeah, but the transportation system is great here, so I've never bothered with getting a license.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Overtime_man said:
Like I said, Taito-ku, near the park.
I must've overlooked it the first time you mentioned this.

Yeah, but the transportation system is great here, so I've never bothered with getting a license.
It's awefully expensive though! Riding a bike to different parts of the country would be a much cheaper (well, okay, not if you include the costs of the bike!), and more enjoyable option, IMO.

Upvote 0

BeamMeUpScotty

Senior Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
Kanagawa, Japan
✟18,437.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Breetai said:

Hey Breetai.

I think I can help with some of your thoughts/concerns.

First, I did live in Saitama for two years when I worked for an eikaiwa. Basically it's a "bedtown" for Tokyo. It's convenient and cheap to get to Tokyo (and Urawa is close), so that's good. The prefecture is pretty flat and non-descript, which is fine for biking but I yearned for mountains to break up the landscape.

If you don't mind, what type of job are you applying for? Must be pretty certain if they're paying for you.

As for the license, it depends on what your wants/needs are. First, if you're Canadian, British, or Australian you only have to take a written test to transfer over your license as long as you had it for more than a year in that country before you came here (and can prove it). If you're from the states or most other places, you have to take a driving test as well. I actually failed the written test the first time (10 T/F;M/C questions) because it was pitifully traslated. You can get the rule roads and driving manual in English, also (I think it's about 1000 yen).

I passed the driving test on the first time (automatic). Just make it look like your breaking your neck for every little turn. You can also take a one-time driving lesson at most driving schools for about 5,000 yen where they'll go over all the rules and what-nots for you. Bring a Japanese friend if your lingo isn't too good. It's by no means impossible to get the license and the experience was enlightening (if a bit expensive as well).

If you don't want to do that you can get a license for a 50 CC or lower moped. For this, you'll have to take a 100 question written test (again T/F and M/C). After it there's a "safety lesson" you have to attend, but no driving test.

BTW, a regular license for cars also includes 50 cc mopeds.

As far as costs go, obviously a moped is the way to go. You can get a new one for 90,000-200,000 yen. I got a used one for 40,000. The yearly registration (at least where I live) is 1,000. It frees you up a lot, but sucks in the cold and rain.

As for cars, you can get a used one pretty cheaply. With all cars, however, there are many other costs. Most likely you will need to rent a parking space which can be anywhere from 5,000 to 20,000+/month. Gas is about 130 yen/litre. Then there is the dreaded "shaken"--bi-yearly inspection. Depending on how you do it, it can run 70,000-100,000+ without repairs. My yearly taxes are about 45,000 yen. So unless you want to travel the country by road to make it worthwhile, I would suggest getting a regular license, and a moped.

Hope that helps. Take care.

Upvote 0

Gaia

Feb 1, 2007
Texas
✟15,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
There were millions already living in the Americas so no, Columbus didn't find anything. All he did was instigate the death of indigineous people and spread slavery. There is a move afoot to abolish the celebration of Columbus Day and I hope it succeeds.

At any rate your post reads like, "they're doin' it so we'll do it too". Doesn't make it right especially when your spreading a fractured and flawed ideaology that preaches intolerance and prejudice.

I agree with you. As a Comanche I think the Americas were just fine ( see that they astecs were one of the most advanced culturals and that Spanish kill them because they didn't do thing like they thought they should be done.) and still would be without Columbus! Many tribes were destroyed and the one that weren't were moved form thier home lands to dead earth that doesn't grow anything. I don't want to see that happen to a lovely country such as Japan. That is rich in culture.

Upvote 0