up there
✟307,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
A word of Latin origin (from "gens"; "gentilis"), designating a people not Jewish, commonly applied to non-Jews. The word "Gentile" corresponds to the late Hebrew "goi," a synonym for "nokri," signifying "stranger," "non-Jew."...Jewish Encyclopedia

11 of the 12 tribes were not Jewish. And naming Israel today Israel is a misnomer as it might as well be called Judah until the other nations return also.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That's what that entire dream about the food descending in a sheet was about. Peter told Jesus "no" twice. After he'd baptized Cornelius, he clearly explained that the only reason he did was because the Holy Spirit had leapfrogged him.

If the Holy Spirit had not acted first, Peter had never considered the gospel for Gentiles. He and everyone else had the idea that the gospel was for Jews (including proselytes).

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
He and everyone else had the idea that the gospel was for Jews (including proselytes).

Matthew u0:5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: because the Jews must first reject it

Matthew 15: 24But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. All 12 tribes of the House of Israel.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So you proved my point.

Upvote 0

UnprofitableServant

ThyWillBeDone
Dec 10, 2018
Hollywood
✟44,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No one can apply James's "faith without works" to faith in Jesus Christ because salvation is without works. Paul explains this;

Applying James' statement of "faith without works is dead" having direct correlation to salvation is the only way to take it. How do I know? Jesus teaches is.

Matthew 25:31-46, "
When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire (everlasting fire doesn't sound like saved to me), prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."

James was reminding people the seriousness of disobeying Jesus' command to help the poor. After reading this, it seems pretty clear to me that Jesus and James (also Paul) taught that obeying Jesus' commands are important factors in the discussion of salvation.
Though, many people build their doctrines on someone else besides Jesus, so I won't be surprised if people find other places in the Bible to try and negate Jesus and His words. This video explains very clearly the danger in doing that... bit.ly/Jesusteachings

In peace

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Ok I see your point that makes sense.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

That seems like a huge stretch. I don’t see anything to indicate that James wasn’t talking about faith in Christ. Like I said John 15:1-10 clearly shows that a person will not receive salvation if they don’t bear fruit and abide in Christ.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I agree that faith produces works but works are also evidence of faith. A lack of works means a lack of faith. The definitions of the Greek words for faith, believe, and believer all include a sense of devotion and obedience. Unfortunately the English definitions of the words do not encompass the full meaning of the Greek words used in the scriptures.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
James isn't talking about works of the law some here claim is fruit.

Upvote 0

New Birth

Jan 18, 2019
Vicksburg
✟22,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
I think faith demands action. If one thinks of faith as someone from the Old test does them you would see action accompanying faith. Such as Noah "built" the arc. Abraham "went out". Moses "forsook" Egypt etc.
In the new testament there is a response that should come at hearing the preached word. Remember "faith comes by hearing". When Peter preached on Pentecost faith was inspired in the hearer and there was a response "men and breathren what shall we do?" Then instructions were given to follow Acts 2:38.
Other times the gospel would be preached people would of their own accord say "hey there is water what hinders me from being baptized".
We can see over and over the proper response in faith is just that, a response. Hearing and no action is not the response God is looking for, remember the scripture in James 1:22 but be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. Also faith without works is dead not living.
Responding to the gospel should not be mistaken as saved by works, no amount of feeding the poor or doing more good than bad will save. But a proper response to the gospel in faith will save.

Last edited:
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I still don’t see where Peter thought that he wasn’t supposed to preach to everyone.

Matthew u0:5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: because the Jews must first reject it

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I agree that faith produces works but works are also evidence of faith.

Consider those that do good unto others all their life, it coming naturally to them without even knowing Jesus. It is not doing good that counts as Jesus told the Lord Lords, but doing the will of God instead of the will of man as the Gospel of the Kingdom teaches. It's always about motive. Yes there will be good fruits showing charity and the like but the real fruit is standing out against the will of man which is self serving and self determining, the original sin. The works evident of faith do not follow the will of man or use man's methods.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It’s hard to know the motives of unbelievers who do good works. Perhaps some are being guided by the Spirit even in their disbelief. Who knows? One thing I do know is a person who is abiding in Christ will bear much fruit. He’s not a wicked lazy servant. So if someone is not bearing fruit they are not abiding in Christ and that person will not be saved. John 15:1-10

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
t’s hard to know the motives of unbelievers who do good works. Perhaps some are being guided by the Spirit even in their disbelief.

I believe if that were the case they would have already turned against the self serving will of man, rejecting our traditional characteristics. Is it then necessary to know Jesus even if they already follow God's will? Seems to me they will be in for a nice surprise while the lord lords are going how come.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I believe salvation is the result of a synergetic cooperation with God’s will.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I believe salvation is the result of a synergetic cooperation with God’s will.

Yes, loving all neighbours as self rather than supporting the self serving, self justifying, redefining good and evil to serve the gain at the expense of others nature of mankind.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You do say some good things, but I'm a little confused by your post. Maybe it's just too long.

Upvote 0