Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
James 4:14 - "Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes."

Hebrews 9:27 - "Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment,"

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,855.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
One of the leading lights of the skeptic community has been extinguished. I'm sad for his family, but I will celebrate his life and his works. I got to see the Amazing Randi twice in person, but his TED talk on homeopathy and fraud will always be a favourite.

Homeopathy, quackery and fraud

Randi was, in his own special way, a complete savage. He was pretty uncompromising when it came to exposing charlatans and frauds.

It's a shame the JREF online community became such a toxic mess and ended up eating itself in 2010-2013. For a good while there, it was easily the best place on the internet for well researched debunkings of wingnuttery of all conceivable stripes.

At least the actual foundation itself survives, although it's not what it once was.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Peter Pop off? Him I know..what does he have to do with this. Did Randi bust him?

Yeah.. he busted him.. pretty badly. Although sadly Peter Popoff made a comeback years later.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Randi was, in his own special way, a complete savage.

QFT. He was not always the best messenger for skepticism. But he was a hugely important figure.

Somewhere around here, I have my membership card in the Randi 2000 Club. For a long time Randi had his Paranormal Challenge where he offered $10,000 of his own money to anyone who could produce a paranormal effect under controlled conditions agreed to by the claimant. For a time, the 2000 club was a method by which ordinary joes like me could offer $1,000 of our own money to add to the pot, which I think got well over $100,000.

Later, some ordinary joe with deep pockets ponied up $1,000,000 and that became the prize, and the 2000 Club wasn't needed any more. The money was placed in an escrow account so it was all just sitting there waiting for a winner, not just 'pledged' as my money was.

Hardly anyone ever even tried to claim it. Psychics are so advanced spiritually that they don't need a million dollars. I think most of the actual attempts were with dowsers, who were genuinely befuddled when they failed the most elementary preliminary tests. Self-delusion is pretty powerful stuff.

Upvote 0