Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In James chapter 1 it says of us being begotten of the word of truth, and having the engrafted word. This rebirth, the new creature, new manner of man can forgot who he is now when he beholding himself in the glass (vs.1:23,24). But we can also look into this which we have become which is called the perfect law of liberty and continue therein and be blessed in our deed (vs. 25). By being a doer of this work which we become. We are only blessed in the doing of that which we have become. Not forgetting what manner of man we are now through God.
This new creature we have become. This perfect law of liberty that has become part of us and who we are includes the Royal Law which is the Ten commandments, the other moral laws that are contained in Scripture, and things God would have us do personally through Him telling us directly or moving us to do it through Christ and His Spirit. It is the engrafted Word and has no bounds. This we know because verse 1:26 and 27 tell us we should be bridling our tongues, taking care of the fatherless and widows in their infliction and remain unspotted, unblemished from the world. Verses 2:1-7 go into us not treating anyone different regardless of their status. And then verses 8 mentions loving our neighbor as ourselves as being key in us fulfilling the royal law. Which is shown to be the Ten commandments through the fact that some of them are brought up in the context of if we offend, trip up in one we are guilty as if we tripped up in all of it. For a little leaven leavens the whole. Then in verse 12 the law of liberty is mentioned in conjunction with all the a fore mentioned admonitions from verse 1:26 to 2:11. In doing this God is showing us that the engrafted word that is now part of us (vs. 1:21) that is able to save our souls. This new creature we have become. This manner of man that we should now see. This perfect Law of Liberty which of the Word of truth includes the royal law, the ten commandments and the other things that are of the Word of truth of which we have been begotten through. Even more so, It goes on to say now we will be judged by what we have become, this perfect law of liberty (vs.2:13), this new manner of man with the engrafted word. And this judgment that will come within us, our conscience; will be without mercy. Bearing witness, reasoning as a plaintiff. Accusing or excusing in the day that God shall judge the secrets of men through Jesus Christ in us and thereby the engrafted word. ( James 2:13; Romans 2:14-16)
Continuing a question was asked in verse 14 in respect to the judgment that we will experience within ourselves through Jesus Christ through the engrafted word, the word or truth, the law of liberty. That which has become part of us and governs our conscience. It was asked, "What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?"
Let us keep in mind what James shared through God in chapter 1. He shared that the faith that saves is one that doesn't waver. For one that does waver is tossed like the waves of the sea. Let not that one think that they shall receive anything from the Lord. He shared that we have been enabled to have such a faith because we have been begotten by the word of truth and have the engrafted word which is able to save our souls. As it is written, His Law is in our hearts and minds. His Word in our hearts and mouths that we may do it, Which IS the faith in which we preach. Christ, the Anointed Anointing us. This is the hope, the expectation of His glory. That He be the first among many brethren. The just living by this faith (Rom 1:16) founded in His Spirit. For it is God that works in us both to will and do His good pleasure. In Him we are to live, move and have are being. For that which may be known of God is manifested in us, His eternal power and divinity so we are without excuse. (Heb 8:10; Phil 2:13; Acts 17; Rom 10:8: Deut 30:14: Rom 1:17,19 ) This Faith governed by the new heart and mind through His Spirit does those things that are needful for our brothers and sisters. For the Just live by faith. ( Jam 2:15,16). This Faith works the works of our new hearts founded in Him because we can't help ourselves because it is who we are created in Him through Christ Jesus. This faith is shown, seen by our works, for the just shall live by faith. It is not as the devils believe and tremble. Our Faith is what we are therefore what we do, not dead without fruit. (Jam 2:19,20)
Shew in James 2:18 from the KJV comes from the Greek word δίκη and is the root of the Greek word δικαιόω which is translated justified in verses 21-25. (See below) Verse 18 says, I will shew you my faith by my works. Real faith is seen. This is the context. Couple that with the fact that James through God is being specific when he speaks of faith without works. He says in verse 14 in the Greek, "my brethren if faith say anyone he has, but works have not, is THIS faith able to save him?"
Add that to what is being said of Abraham, it is translated in most English translations, Abraham believed God and was imputed to him for righteousness. And that is fine. But the Greek is a little deeper than that. The clause is in the Dative case. So it can and should be read, Abraham believe to the or by the God and it was imputed unto Him for (into) righteousness.

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As we continue let us also keep in mind what is being said in verse 21. It was said, Was not Abraham justified, shown to be righteous by his works when he offered up Isaac, his son upon the alter? Here the context is reaffirmed in respect to this justification in which God through James speaks of in this letter. It says, was he not justified, shown to be righteous in the offering of His son. Who was He justified to? Who was his righteousness shown to that the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed to the, or by the God and was imputed into him for righteousness. God, as the scripture reveals in Gen 22:12, "And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know (Yada in the Hebrew which is to know by seeing) that thou fearest (revere) God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me." The devils believe and tremble for they show no fruit of their faith, belief and their very conscience condemns them. They fear God but they do not revere Him. Whereas faith through the engrafted word produces works, shows righteousness because it can not help it. Abraham did not hold back his son because he could not help himself. He shown his righteousness therefore showing that he believed God and that God made him righteous. As John said, As He is so are we in this world. Little children be not decieved . He that does righteousness is righteous even as He is righteous.
G1342 δίκαιος dikaios (d̮iy'-kai-os) adj.
1. equitable.
2. (of character) righteous.
3. (of action or decision) right.
4. (by implication) innocent.
{absolutely or relatively, as adjective or noun (i.e. righteous man)}
[from G1349]
G1344 δικαιόω dikaioo (d̮iy-kai-o'-ō) v.
1. to regard as righteous.
2. (judicially) to regard as innocent.
[from G1342]
KJV: free, justify(-ier), be righteous
G1349 δίκη dike (d̮iy'-kee) n.
1. right (as self-evident).
2. justice (the principle, a decision, or its execution).
[probably from G1166]
G1166 δεικνύω deiknuo (d̮ei-knï '-ō) v.
to show.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,826.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
17 By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had embraced the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son, 18 even though God had said to him, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.” Heb 11

James2:14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

Why is it that some people believe James was writing about the works of the old covenant LAW? It is what we do for the least of us that Jesus is interested. Also, it is not what we do, it is what Jesus did for us. All the good deeds we could ever do would not be enough to get us through the gates into Heaven.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,826.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Him wrote:
This new creature we have become. This perfect law of liberty that has become part of us and who we are includes the Royal Law which is the Ten commandments, the other moral laws that are contained in Scripture, and things God would have us do personally through Him telling us directly or moving us to do it through Christ and His Spirit. It is the engrafted Word and has no bounds.
James2:8 If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right. Love your neighbor is not one of the ten commandments. In fact, there is not one word in the ten commandments about love. If anyone could even keep the ten commandments it could be done by duty and nothing to do with love. If we love the Lord, we will love our fellow man and not ever hurt anyone. Telling us that the ten commandments is the Royal Law needs some scriptural explaining.

Reactions: Cribstyl
Upvote 0

safswan

Nov 15, 2005
✟30,710.00
Faith
Christian
Him wrote:

James2:8 If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right. Love your neighbor is not one of the ten commandments. In fact, there is not one word in the ten commandments about love. If anyone could even keep the ten commandments it could be done by duty and nothing to do with love. If we love the Lord, we will love our fellow man and not ever hurt anyone. Telling us that the ten commandments is the Royal Law needs some scriptural explaining.
You seemed to have missed this:

Exodus 20:
4Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
5Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
6And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

And you seemed not to have understood this:

When the commandments had been spoken, it was then that God revealed His intention concerning them. It is by having these words in their hearts that the people would love God with all their hearts.

Deuteronomy 6:
4Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:
5And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
6And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:

The apostle Paul confirms that by observing the Ten Commandments, we fulfill the law, and also the portion of the commandments, which concern human-to-human relations, is summarized or comprehended by saying:

"Thou shaft love thy neighbour as thyself." (Romans 13:8-9). N.B. To love, according to God's standards, we must keep his commandments. The command to love our neighbor is a summary of the Ten Commandments, which can also be summarized by saying we should:

"..Love the Lord thy God with all thine heart and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." (Deuteronomy 6:5).

Note carefully why Cain is considered not to have loved his brother. (I John 3:11-12). He slew him!! i.e. he transgressed, "Thou shalt not kill." Hence, if we are keeping God's commandments about love, we cannot be killing, stealing, lying, committing adultery, dishonouring parents, coveting, taking God's name in vain, having other gods, making images, profaning the Sabbath. N. B. other commands also give further instructions about how the above is to be properly accomplished; eg. Leviticus 19:11-13 shows that to defraud is a part of stealing and Leviticus 19:17 shows that we should not hate our brother in the heart.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,826.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Exodus 20:
4Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
5Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
6And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

When the commandments had been spoken, it was then that God revealed His intention concerning them. It is by having these words in their hearts that the people would love God with all their hearts.

Deuteronomy 6:
5And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

The apostle Paul confirms that by observing the Ten Commandments, we fulfill the law, and also the portion of the commandments, which concern human-to-human relations, is summarized or comprehended by saying:

"Thou shaft love thy neighbour as thyself." (Romans 13:8-9). N.B. To love, according to God's standards, we must keep his commandments. The command to love our neighbor is a summary of the Ten Commandments, which can also be summarized by saying we should:

"..Love the Lord thy God with all thine heart and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." (Deuteronomy 6:5).

Note carefully why Cain is considered not to have loved his brother. (I John 3:11-12). He slew him!! i.e. he transgressed, "Thou shalt not kill." Hence, if we are keeping God's commandments about love, we cannot be killing, stealing, lying, committing adultery, dishonouring parents, coveting, taking God's name in vain, having other gods, making images, profaning the Sabbath. N. B. other commands also give further instructions about how the above is to be properly accomplished; eg. Leviticus 19:11-13 shows that to defraud is a part of stealing and Leviticus 19:17 shows that we should not hate our brother in the heart.
Everyone I have ever encountered with the fact that there is not one word in the ten commandments asking the Israelites to love come up with the verses you just did, which doesn't refute a single word I wrote. Certainly, if we really love God, we will keep the commands he asks us to keep. Deut 6:5 is not one of the ten commandments. Nine of those commandments could be kept out of duty, the fourth one was never one that could be kept peroid. Oh yes, outwardly one could look and act pious, but Is 58:3 was a gotcha. It was the thinking your own thoughts. I am so thankful that I now realize no one is under the ten commandments as Paul explains in 2Cor3:6-11.

Upvote 0

safswan

Nov 15, 2005
✟30,710.00
Faith
Christian
Everyone I have ever encountered with the fact that there is not one word in the ten commandments asking the Israelites to love come up with the verses you just did, which doesn't refute a single word I wrote. Certainly, if we really love God, we will keep the commands he asks us to keep. Deut 6:5 is not one of the ten commandments. Nine of those commandments could be kept out of duty, the fourth one was never one that could be kept peroid. Oh yes, outwardly one could look and act pious, but Is 58:3 was a gotcha. It was the thinking your own thoughts. I am so thankful that I now realize no one is under the ten commandments as Paul explains in 2Cor3:6-11.
My bad.I should have said, "you failed to understand", in both of the examples I gave. Continue in your feigned ignorance.

You wrote:
"It was the thinking your own thoughts. I am so thankful that I now realize no one is under the ten commandments as Paul explains in 2Cor3:6-11."

So I guess you can covet,and hate your brother in the heart without thinking?

Maybe your ignorance was not feigned after all.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
17 By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had embraced the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son, 18 even though God had said to him, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.” Heb 11

James2:14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

Why is it that some people believe James was writing about the works of the old covenant LAW? It is what we do for the least of us that Jesus is interested. Also, it is not what we do, it is what Jesus did for us. All the good deeds we could ever do would not be enough to get us through the gates into Heaven.
While it is true that Abraham believed God, so he was justified (Genesis 15:6), it is also true that he believed God, so he obeyed God's command to offer Isaac (Hebrews 11:17), so the same faith by which he was justified was expressed as obedience to God, but he did not earn his justification by his obedience as a wage (Romans 4:1-5). In James 2:21-24, it quotes Genesis 15:6 to support saying that Abraham was justified by his works when he offered Isaac, that his faith was active along with his works, and his faith completed his works, so he was justified by his works insofar as they were expressing his faith, but not insofar as they were earning a wage.

We have a choice of whether we are going trust in the Lord with all of our heart to correctly divide between right and wrong through His or we can lean in our own understanding (Proverbs 3:1-6), so any obedient reliance on what God has instructed is expressing our faith in Him, regardless of whether or not it was something that was commanded in the Mosaic Law. In James 2:8, he referenced the command to love our neighbor as ourselves, which is one of the two greatest commandments that everything else in the Mosaic Law is based upon, so I see no reason to doubt that he was referring to the Mosaic Law. Likewise, what we do for the least of these is in accordance with the Mosaic Law. Indeed, it is about what Jesus did for us and one of the main things that he did for us was teach is how to correctly divide between right and wrong through obeying the Mosaic Law.

Him wrote:

Everything commanded in the Mosaic Law can be put in one or both of the categories of being about how to love God or how to love our neighbor, which is why Jesus said in Matthew 22:36-40 that those are the greatest two commandments and that all of the other commandments hang on them, so they are connected.

A command does not need to specifically use the word "love" in order to the be an example of what it means to love. For example, the command to feed the poor does not use the word "love", but it is still part of what it means to love our neighbor.

There are reasons why God specifically chose to give the commands that He did and those reasons teach us something about the nature of who God is. For example, the command to feed the poor teaches us something about an aspect of God's nature, and by acting in accordance with that aspect of God's nature we are expressing our love for that aspect of who He is, which is why there are many verses in both the OT and the NT that connect our love for God with our obedience to His commandments. The only way that we should no longer follow laws for how to act in accordance with God's nature is if that is no longer an aspect of His nature, but God's nature is eternal, which is why all of God's righteous laws are also eternal (Psalms 119:160), and why Paul should not be interpreted as saying that they are temporary.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Him wrote:

James2:8 If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right. Love your neighbor is not one of the ten commandments. In fact, there is not one word in the ten commandments about love.
Exod 20:6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

If anyone could even keep the ten commandments it could be done by duty and nothing to do with love.
Deut 30:10 If thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which are written in this book of the law, and if thou turn unto the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul.
Deut 30:11 For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.
Deut 30:12 It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
Deut 30:13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
Deut 30:14 But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.

Exod 31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

If we love the Lord, we will love our fellow man and not ever hurt anyone. Telling us that the ten commandments is the Royal Law needs some scriptural explaining.
Verse 8 starts with the word if. That means a condition is placed. In other words if you love your neighbor you will fulfill the royal law. So the royal law is not love though love gets it done. Then in the same context of loving our neighbor as ourselves fulfills the royal law he states, but if we show partiality we are convinced of the law, which would be the royal law as transgressors. Understanding the law in verse 9 to still be the royal law is keeping the passages in context to what was previous said. This in fact continues in verse 10 and 11 by the word "for" which means what is about to be said is the reason for what was previously stated. And thereby continues within the same context. So in verse 10 the law mentioned in respect to offending one is as if we broke them all. And verse 11 stating a few of the ten reveals what exactly the royal law is. It is in fact talking about the decalogue.

Jas 2:8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:
Jas 2:9 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.
Jas 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
Jas 2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,826.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Him wrote:
Exod 20:6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
Am I to assume you answered my statement that there is not one word in the ten commandments about love with Ex20:6. May I inform you that Ex20:6 is not part of the ten commandments. Love cannot be dictated.

Him added:
Deut 30:10 If thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which are written in this book of the law, and if thou turn unto the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul.
Deut 30:11 For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.
Deut 30:12 It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
Deut 30:13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
Deut 30:14 But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.

Exod 31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.
Sorry Him, not one of your verses tells us that any of the ten are about love. Love cannot be dictated

Verse 8 starts with the word if. That means a condition is placed. In other words if you love your neighbor you will fulfill the royal law. So the royal law is not love though love gets it done.
If you love your neighbor, you will fulfill the royal law because love is the Royal Law.
Then in the same context of loving our neighbor as ourselves fulfills the royal law he states, but if we show partiality we are convinced of the law, which would be the royal law as transgressors. Understanding the law in verse 9 to still be the royal law is keeping the passages in context to what was previous said. This in fact continues in verse 10 and 11 by the word "for" which means what is about to be said is the reason for what was previously stated. And thereby continues within the same context. So in verse 10 the law mentioned in respect to offending one is as if we broke them all. And verse 11 stating a few of the ten reveals what exactly the royal law is. It is in fact talking about the decalogue.
Since love cannot be dictated Jesus never demanded that anyone love or else ... Jn15:9 “I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. 10 When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. 11 I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! 12 This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. We are born with the knowledge of love, we cultivate that love by Jesus' example.

1Cor13:
If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing. 3 If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.

4 Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5 or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged.

Jas 2:8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:
Jas 2:9 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.
Jas 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
Jas 2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
If we possess love in our hearts, we do not have to worry about treating others wrong.

1Jn3:19 This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: 20 If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Love cannot be dictated
Apparently, it can. It's commanded (Matt5:43-48, et.al.) by the one and only Sovereign/Ruler (1Tim6:15). Since Love as commanded is the epitome of our existence in Christ, it seems we'll all be judged on our having obeyed and conformed to the dictate of Love from the only King and God.

When we move beyond the worldly view that love is just a feeling, this becomes pretty simple to understand.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,826.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Apparently, it can. It's commanded (Matt5:43-48, et.al.) by the one and only Sovereign/Ruler (1Tim6:15).
‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy was a saying and not found in scripture anyplace. Jesus was not quoting a command. Sorry my friend. take time to search to see if what you write is really true.

I will have to admit God did tell the Israelites to love their neighbor. I like the way the NIRV states Lev19:18
NIRV
‘Do not try to get even. Do not hold anything against any of your people. Instead, love your neighbor as you love yourself. I am the Lord.

If one is honest, he/she will have to admit love comes from the heart. It is instilled in man at birth. Love is a human emotion. No one can make a person love. Love can be nurtured as well as stymied.

When we move beyond the worldly view that love is just a feeling, this becomes pretty simple to understand.
Please elaborate.

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If one is honest, he/she will have to admit love comes from the heart. It is instilled in man at birth. Love is a human emotion. No one can make a person love. Love can be nurtured as well as stymied.
This is where you're off base. Biblical Love is mainly (not only) action. This is why it can be commanded/dictated, and Love Neighbor summarizes certain commanded actions and thoughts (Romans13:9-10), and Love for God is keeping His commandments and this not being burdensome (1John5:2-3).

As I recall, in Hebrew there are 2 words for love. They were once described in a teaching I read as (1) boy meets girl (attraction) - boy marries girl (responsible action). So, yes, there is more to Love than just action, but it is mainly spoken of as action that is commanded. You likely know that Greek has as I recall 5 different words for love. Love is not just emotion.

When the Bible speaks more succinctly of emotion, it goes back to some Hebrew concepts of how one may feel in certain areas of the body when feeling emotion. The word translated as "affection" in 2Cor6:12; Phil1:8 is more literally "inward parts, bowels, intestines" and can even be associated with the heart - how one feels within.

When Paul speaks negatively of the enemies of Christ's cross in Philippians 3:19, he says their god is their belly/stomach, but this word can also mean "seat of inward life, of feelings and desires" (BDAG Lexicon) and we can see this concept as we track back through the Hebrew Scriptures in the LXX translation. Our emotions, our bodies and what they feel and desire, are not meant to rule us.

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Him wrote:

I totally agree with you Bob S
James made it clear that "the royal law found in the scriptures", is to love your neighbor as yourself.
That 1 commandment is being referenced as the royal law. ( James is not talking about keeping the ten commandments).
James is teaching the Jews exactly what Jesus and Paul also taught, that love fulfills the law.
Here is a text of Paul calling it, the law of Christ.
Gal 6:2
Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

False doctrine denies that Christ distinguished His 2 commandments from the 10. (That blindness denies the blood and the new covenant)

A good question is What is James calling the perfect law of liberty?
The perfect law of liberty is also a reference to Christ's commandment to love your neighbor as yourself. (Not the ten)
Here's the contextually facts.
James addresses his letter to the 12 tribes scattered abroad (the circumcision) They continued to be under the law.
James 2:1-13 is teaching that love does not show favoritism. Verses 8-13 makes it clear that if you do show favoritism to people, you become a law breaker as under the ten.
Jas 2:8

If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well.
Jas 2:9
But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors.

Jas 2:10
For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become guilty of all of it.

Jas 2:11
For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law.
Jas 2:12
So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty.
Jas 2:13
For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

Again, verse 2:8 is saying: If you're following the royal law, that will fulfill the law and you're doing well.
2:12 concludes that you should live and act as if you'll be judged by; how you love your neighbors.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Bob S
Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That 1 commandment is being referenced as the royal law. ( James is not talking about keeping the ten commandments)
Jesus (Matt19:18-19) and Paul (Rom13:8-11) show the connection between the 10 Commandments and the Royal Law Commandment. Without the 10 Commandments & more Commandments of God, the Royal Law is not a summary Command.
Here is a text of Paul calling it, the law of Christ.
Paul doesn't say here that Love Neighbor is the Law of Christ. But he does say that fulfilling the Law of Christ is assisting others out of sin and he goes to great lengths in Romans and Galatians to instruct that we learn and know what sin and unrighteousness is in God's Law.
False doctrine denies that Christ distinguished His 2 commandments from the 10. (That blindness denies the blood and the new covenant)
Clearly, He did not so distinguish between them. Nor did He have Paul distinguish between them. Those who see this reality are not in denial of the blood and the NC. They simply know what Biblical Love includes.

Last edited:
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Jesus (Matt19:18-19) and Paul (Rom13:8-11) show the connection between the 10 Commandments and the Royal Law Commandment. Without the 10 Commandments & more Commandments of God, the Royal Law is not a summary Command.
False, the only similarities are the commandments being quoted.

Matt 19:18-19 shows that the Mosiac covenant was required to be kept for righteousness before the cross.
You're trying to hide that Rom 13:8-11 says the 10 commandments are fulfilled by loving your neighbor.
My comments were about James teaching that love fulfills the law. Jas 2:8
Paul doesn't say here that Love Neighbor is the Law of Christ.
Paul said
It should be clear that to bear another's burden means to love your neighbor. That's what Christ also said fulfilled the law.
Mat 22:39
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

But he does say that fulfilling the Law of Christ is assisting others out of sin and he goes to great lengths in Romans and Galatians to instruct that we learn and know what sin and unrighteousness is in God's Law.

Clearly, He did not so distinguish between them. Nor did He have Paul distinguish between them. Those who see this reality are not in denial of the blood and the NC. They simply know what Biblical Love includes.
Again, we disagree, and your commentary are reasoning not backed up by scriptures.
Paul did teach that loving your neighbor fulfills the law.
Gal 5:14
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Rom 13:8
Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Exodus 20:

Deuteronomy 6:

What a scam. What part of love fulfills the law don't you understand?
Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,826.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Jn15

What were the commandments Jesus kept? Torah of course. Verse 10 is indicating that Jesus is not asking us to observe Torah. What Jesus is asking is diametrically opposed to what is being preached by some on this forum. What Jesus is asking us to keep is to love one another as He loves us. Torah is excluded completely.

John fortifies how a Christian should live in 1JN 3:19-24. He tells us we belong to the
truth when we believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Jesus said He came to fulfill the Law. Some on this forum are denying that He accomplished that task and that we are still under the dictates of Torah. If you are correct and Jesus didn't do all He came to do then you are disobeying the statement in verse 18 which states not one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the Law. Lots of ritual commands to consider my friends.

• Winner
Reactions: Cribstyl
Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
False, the only similarities are the commandments being quoted.

Matt 19:18-19 shows that the Mosiac covenant was required to be kept for righteousness before the cross.
You're trying to hide that Rom 13:8-11 says the 10 commandments are fulfilled by loving your neighbor.
My comments were about James teaching that love fulfills the law. Jas 2:8
False in opinion. What does Love Neighbor and doing no harm to neighbor look like if a summary command does not include what it summarizes? The answer is whatever the one supposedly loving wants it to include - fill in your own details IOW. This is autonomy. Another answer is whatever the one supposedly loving thinks the Spirit has told them. How does one check to see if such a one is doing what the Spirit truly says? Answer is checking the Word and the Commandments of God to verify since the Word and the Spirit will not be in conflict. Some analysis of Rom13 which I'm happy to discuss.

Your accusations of what I'm trying to do are unnecessary and wrong.
Paul said
It should be clear that to bear another's burden means to love your neighbor. That's what Christ also said fulfilled the law.
Mat 22:39
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
Paul still doesn't specifically say that the Law of Christ is Love Neighbor. I'm OK with the link, but you've not specifically made one unless you can do some more explaining. I could just as easily say the Law of Christ is His new Commandment to love one another as He loved us (John13:34; John15:12-17; 1John3:23; 2John1:5-6). Actually, this ties to what we're being commanded to do in Gal6:1-2. Then I'd probably tie Love One Another and Love Neighbor via Rom15:1-3.
Again, we disagree, and your commentary are reasoning not backed up by scriptures.
Paul did teach that loving your neighbor fulfills the law.
Gal 5:14
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Again, opinion only. My commentary and reasoning are backed up in Scriptures, and I'm certain we all have more to learn.

You're really not backing up anything by quoting a couple Scriptures apart from context.
  • My above link to some more on Rom13:8-10 will show how you're negating all of what is said there in order to try to make your point using only 1 verse of 3.
  • Before Gal5:14, Gal5:13 commands not to use our freedom for the flesh and then goes on to speak of works of the flesh that are against law (Gal5:15-23). When Paul commands to Walk [in] Spirit and we'll not complete desires of flesh (that are against law (5:23)), he's again tying God's Commandments (like you shall not murder) to the summary of Love Neighbor as he did in Rom13:8-10.
  • Neither one of these verses you've quoted are without the detail of God's Law and Commandments.
I agree Paul taught that Loving Neighbor fulfills Law. He also provided the details - the Commandments - that are included in Loving Neighbor. He actually also left the study and search for other applicable commandments open to us in Rom13:9 "and if there is any other commandment."

I find it more and more odd how others, now including you, only want to quote Romans 13:8 or Romans 13:10 and leave out Romans 13:9, that provides the detail of Love. I also find it very odd how anyone can think a summary statement stands on its own apart from all the details it summarizes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What a scam. What part of love fulfills the law don't you understand?
More ad hominem. This doesn't win arguments. Nor does posting a Scripture apart from context.

Upvote 0