✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gen. 19:26

26But Lot’s wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.

Loving the things of this world makes you an enemy of God. You cannot serve both mammon and God.

Matt. 6:24

24No one can serve two masters: Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

God does not accept a divided heart, you must count the cost before submitting to the will of God. Doing so after you have committed to God is backsliding.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What is the explanation of this verse? Other verses that talk about being enemies of God is saying what we once were before being reconciled to God, but this seems to be talking to people that were already Christians

James 4:4 King James Version
4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Matthew 7:22-24 King James Version
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

Many professed "Christians" are not yet they claim to be saved and they are not

It is very simple

John 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Matthew 22:37-40
King James Version

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

CRITICAL THINKING IS REQUIRED

If the verses 37 and 39 are the new commandments then what is the law that hangs on them?

2 John King James Version

5 And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.

6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is the explanation of this verse? Other verses that talk about being enemies of God is saying what we once were before being reconciled to God, but this seems to be talking to people that were already Christians
James 4:4 (NIV) You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

One who seeks to please those of corrupted moral behavior is not pleasing God. Adultery is corrupted moral behavior.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The reason why the word Adulterous is used, is because as a Christian, you are the Bride of Christ awaiting the marriage feast and the wedding.

Rev.19:7
7Let us rejoice and be glad

and give Him the glory.

For the marriage of the Lamb has come,

and His bride has made herself ready.

Upvote 0

honestal

Mar 27, 2021
Midwest
✟31,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Katie (nice to meet you),

Despite what many christians believe, it's possible for a christian to turn his back on God.

Christians should be "friends" with non-christian in a desire to be a blessing to them and to help them to know the true God.

Christians should not be "friends" with non-christians in the sense of joining them in their ungodly behavior. (Doing that is what James 4:4 is referring to.

"I have this complaint against you. You don't love Me or each other as you did at first! Look how far you have fallen from your first love! Turn back to Me again and work as you did at first."
{Jesus Himself, in Revelation 2:4, 5 NLT}

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's temple language for everyday advice. Much like 1 Corinthians 10:11 where Christians back then would also learn from the scriptures. It contains very similar concerns mentioned in another epistle. Jude 1:12 Basically controversy in Christianity is a historical event(s) that happened very early on in the original Church.

No new thing under the Sun.

Reactions: NumberOfStars
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The whole chapter has to do with the lust of the flesh. James uses adultry as a metaphor for spiritual weakness. Flesh driven desires rather than the desire for righteousness. Things that are misaligned with the will of the Father.
Very important scripture for today!
Blessings.

Reactions: NumberOfStars
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the helpful replies.
Does the verse seem like a salvation issue? Or more of a warning that God isn't pleased with the behaviour, so a warning to get back on track?
It is a precursor to falling away. Jesus Christ of Nazareth warned us about it. Eventually the Holy Spirit is rejected causing one to apostisize.
Remember, He never leaves us, we leave Him.
Blessings

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums