Elkins Park
✟11,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
James 2:10-11 GNBUK. Whoever breaks one commandment is guilty of breaking them all. For the same one who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not commit murder.” Even if you do not commit adultery, you have become a lawbreaker if you commit murder.

I have been pondering this verse as it effectively equates "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain" or "Honoring thy father and thy mother” with “Thou shalt not kill.”... From a human, and otherwise fleshly perspective, the act of murder seems to be of vastly greater consequence.

But in the eyes of God, all of these transgressions are equivalent. In a way, this does seem like a good way to help us focus on each of the 10 commandments and try to pursue them whole heartedly.
This below clip from Billy Graham made me think more about this scripture portion. Support the channel if you enjoy the video! :preach:

Reactions: Vambram

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
James 2:10-11 GNBUK. Whoever breaks one commandment is guilty of breaking them all. For the same one who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not commit murder.” Even if you do not commit adultery, you have become a lawbreaker if you commit murder.

I have been pondering this verse as it effectively equates "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain" or "Honoring thy father and thy mother” with “Thou shalt not kill.”... From a human, and otherwise fleshly perspective, the act of murder seems to be of vastly greater consequence.

But in the eyes of God, all of these transgressions are equivalent. In a way, this does seem like a good way to help us focus on each of the 10 commandments and try to pursue them whole heartedly.
This below clip from Billy Graham made me think more about this scripture portion. Support the channel if you enjoy the video! :preach:
All of God's laws are the same in the sense that breaking any of them causes someone to become a lawbreaker, not in the sense that we become guilty of having committed murder if we take God's name in vain or in the sense that there is the same consequence for breaking any of them. For example, breaking some laws carries the death penalty, such as the command against murder, others causes someone to be expelled from the camp, and others did not carry either penalty. In James 2:1-11, he as criticizing them for committing favoritism, which is not one of the Ten Commandments, so someone is still a lawbreaker if they keep the Ten Commandments while not keeping God's other commandments.

Upvote 0