Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here you are getting into your own religion's theology and ecclesiology, which is precisely what makes Joseph Smith and indeed all Mormons not Christians to begin with. So no, he is not a Christian. I recognize that it is your feeling as a Mormon that what you have posted is a true statement regarding Joseph Smith's Christianity, but there is no Biblical nor Patristic support for that view outside of Mormons' feelings that it must be so.

Indeed. That was the point of mentioning them: they, like Joseph Smith, are not Christian figures to begin with. Similarly, Joseph Smith is a non-figure in Christianity. He is the founder and prophet of Mormonism, and nothing in Christianity.

According to the historical record, Joseph Smith died while being held in jail on charges connected to ordering his followers to destroy a printing press which had printed negative things about him, not for his testimony of Jesus Christ.

There are many different reasons why he was killed, the news paper thing was the excuse of the moment. They had been trying to kill him long before that happened.

He was actually within his legal rights as mayor to do it. Before the Civil War the Bill of Rights only applied to the federal government, the federal government could not deny you your free speech rights but the state could. It was after the War that they passed another amendment imposing the Bill of Rights upon the states.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
He was actually within his legal rights as mayor to do it.

If you read the link given in full, you'll see that this was already addressed there:

A detailed legal analysis, albeit an analysis incorporating pro-Mormon bias, of the Nauvoo City Council's actions was undertaken by Dallin H. Oaks, then a professor at the University of Chicago Law School.[24] Oaks opined that while the destruction of the Expositor's printing press was legally questionable, under the law of the time the newspaper could have been declared libelous and therefore a public nuisance by the Nauvoo City Council. As a result, Oaks concludes that while under contemporaneous law it would have been legally permissible for city officials to destroy, or "abate," the actual printed newspapers, the destruction of the printing press itself was probably outside of the council's legal authority, and its owners could have sued for damages.[25]

+++

Whether or not he had the legal right to do so at the time is not the question, however. Peter made the claim that he was martyred for his testimony of Jesus Christ, but that's not what the historical record shows. Mormons may believe that this was all a convenient cover story for other, faith-based reasons for the killing Joseph and Hyrum, but that is a matter of faith for them, as it is not a matter of the historical record.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Why does that matter? Of what use is it to know the answer? That would border on idolatry.

Exodus 20:4 You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.

God does not reveal what this substance consists of. Probably for good reasons. One of which may be so man doesn't try to replicate it somehow. Knowing the make up of this substance has no bearing on one's salvation. Knowing who does.
Nice idolatry reflection. Doesn't work.

If you are saying God doesn't reveal what this substance consists of, I believe you. For the same reason God does not reveal lots of things. That is too bad because it is this substance that They share that makes the whole 3 in 1 work.

OK, let me ask one more question:
In John 17, Jesus is praying to God the Father. He says
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

In this context, Jesus is praying for all those that believe in him from the preaching of the apostles. And so he is giving them the same glory that God the Father had given to Jesus.

And then he says: that they may be one, even as we are one. The question is:
How can billions of people be one, the same way that the Trinity is one?

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you read the link given in full, you'll see that this was already addressed there:

A detailed legal analysis, albeit an analysis incorporating pro-Mormon bias, of the Nauvoo City Council's actions was undertaken by Dallin H. Oaks, then a professor at the University of Chicago Law School.[24] Oaks opined that while the destruction of the Expositor's printing press was legally questionable, under the law of the time the newspaper could have been declared libelous and therefore a public nuisance by the Nauvoo City Council. As a result, Oaks concludes that while under contemporaneous law it would have been legally permissible for city officials to destroy, or "abate," the actual printed newspapers, the destruction of the printing press itself was probably outside of the council's legal authority, and its owners could have sued for damages.[25]

+++

Whether or not he had the legal right to do so at the time is not the question, however. Peter made the claim that he was martyred for his testimony of Jesus Christ, but that's not what the historical record shows. Mormons may believe that this was all a convenient cover story for other, faith-based reasons for the killing Joseph and Hyrum, but that is a matter of faith for them, as it is not a matter of the historical record.

wonder what excuses Paul was using as he watched the Jews kill Stephen

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nice idolatry reflection. Doesn't work.

If you are saying God doesn't reveal what this substance consists of, I believe you. For the same reason God does not reveal lots of things. That is too bad because it is this substance that They share that makes the whole 3 in 1 work.

OK, let me ask one more question:
In John 17, Jesus is praying to God the Father. He says
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

In this context, Jesus is praying for all those that believe in him from the preaching of the apostles. And so he is giving them the same glory that God the Father had given to Jesus.

And then he says: that they may be one, even as we are one. The question is:
How can billions of people be one, the same way that the Trinity is one?
You struggle with this because you are equating God's divinity with God's glory. When the Gospel is preached, God is glorified. Those who accept the Gospel are glorified by "being one", as in having eternal life with Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. God does not share His divinty, but He does share His glory.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

+++

Legal or not Joseph Smith did not do anything to merit murder. If you are going to force our culture we have today on what they lived at the time of Joseph Smith then you better consider your own history and the way Christianity lived at thT time and hold them just as accountable.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
wonder what excuses Paul was using as he watched the Jews kill Stephen

Wonder what this irrelevant, leading non-question has to do with my post. Can you explain the connection you're seeing between the two?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You struggle with this because you are equating God's divinity with God's glory. When the Gospel is preached, God is glorified. Those who accept the Gospel are glorified by "being one", as in having eternal life with Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. God does not share His divinty, but He does share His glory.
How are they one?

And more importantly, how are they one, as God and Jesus are one.

Remember Jesus said that they would be one as we are one.

So again, how does billions of people become one, as 3 in the Trinity are one.

There is no struggle with glory. There is just a problem explaining how billions of believers become 'one' as the Trinity is 'one'. Since you know how the Trinity is 'one', share with us how billions of believers become 'one' just like the Trinity is 'one', and use the word 'homoousia' in your explanation. Thanks

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are many different reasons why he was killed, the news paper thing was the excuse of the moment. They had been trying to kill him long before that happened.

He was actually within his legal rights as mayor to do it. Before the Civil War the Bill of Rights only applied to the federal government, the federal government could not deny you your free speech rights but the state could. It was after the War that they passed another amendment imposing the Bill of Rights upon the states.

What ''news scoop'' was Joseph trying to prevent freedom of the press being distributed ?

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How are they one?

There is no struggle with glory. There is just a problem explaining how billions of believers become 'one' as the Trinity is 'one'. Since you know how the Trinity is 'one', share with us how billions of believers become 'one' just like the Trinity is 'one', and use the word 'homoousia' in your explanation. Thanks
And yet you do not or will not connect the dots. We who are believers all share in God's glory. That's where being "one" ends. God sharing his glory does not mean he shares his 'homoousia', or substance, or essence, or divinity. God is still God, and we are not, nor ever will be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
How are they one?

Hi Peter. While I'm not BigDaddy4, I hope you don't mind if I take a crack at this, too.

St. John Chrysostom teaches as follows:

"That they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me and I in You."

Here again the "as" does not denote exact similarity in their case, (for it was not possible for them in so great a degree,) but only as far as was possible for men. Just as when He says "Be merciful, as your Father." (Luke 6:36)

But what is, "In Us"? In the faith which is on Us. Because nothing so offends all men as divisions, He provides that they should be one. "What then," says some one, "did He effect this?" Certainly He effected it. For all who believe through the Apostles are one, though some from among them were torn away. Nor did this escape His knowledge, He even foretold it, and showed that it proceeded from men's slack-mindedness.

"That the world may believe that You have sent Me."

As He said in the beginning, "By this shall all men know that you are My disciples, if you love one another." And how should they hence believe? "Because," He says, "You are a God of peace." If therefore they observe the same as those of whom they have learned, their hearers shall know the teacher by the disciples, but if they quarrel, men shall deny that they are the disciples of a God of peace, and will not allow that I, not being peaceable, have been sent from You. Do you see how, unto the end, He proves His unanimity with the Father?

-- Homily 82 on the Gospel John (emphasis added)

"Only as far as was possible for men." And how? Through the oneness of faith. And for what reason? That men may know that they are His disciples, the disciples of a God of peace. So, accordingly, this is not even talking about ontology (i.e., the shared ousia, which is common to only the Holy Trinity), but about unity of faith akin to ontology. They (we) should be this united.

It is like other parts of the Bible, where we are told that if our right hand offends us, cut it off (Matthew 5:20). If you think that means you need to literally start dismembering yourself after you sin, then that's on you, but there is more than enough historical evidence that this is not how the Church has ever understood that verse (see: the charges against Origen of Alexandria that he mutilated himself), and the context there (as here) makes it clear that that isn't even how it is meant to be understood. It is, as above, a rhetorical example of how far you should be willing to go to fight sin, not a literal command. (Remember, when Jesus prays the above in John it is a prayer to the Father that His disciples be so united, not a command there, either. As I am sure you will agree, the Son does not issue commands to the Father.)

Other fathers (e.g., St. Cyril of Alexandria) tie this passage in with the doctrine of Theosis, which I have already explained elsewhere (I remember it was in response to something posted by Jane Doe, though I cannot remember the exact thread at the moment) has nothing to do with ontologically becoming almighty creator gods, either. There's simply nothing in Christianity that provides for that, as we are blessed to acknowledge Him as our Creator, while we are firmly in the realm of His creations, and it will always be that way. Even after we pass on and God-willing are with Him in heaven. We will not be God.

I suspect that you do not understand the difference, Peter, because Mormonism itself struggles with the difference between the Creator and the created thanks to its teachings on the eternality of matter, eternal progression of God from a state of common, mortal manhood, and so forth. But these are not concepts found in Christianity, so we do not share that confusion.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
dzheremi says,

To say 'as' does not denote exact similarity in this case, (and then to reason amongst themselves) for it is not possible for them in so great a degree, but only as far as it is possible for men.

This is nice reasoning, but Jesus says differently. He is praying to God (who by the way is in heaven, while Jesus was on the earth) to bless the billions of people who believe in the words of the apostles, that they may be one, as we are one. My reasoning would go along this path: If Jesus says we can be one even as They, the Holy Trinity are one, then who am I to second guess that it is possible?

The only way I think it is impossible, is to think that 1 billion people could somehow be 1 homoousion, very large object, as the Trinity is 3 Persons in 1 homoousian God. So no wonder the fathers thought that impossible.

If they knew that they were 3 separate and distinct Persons, but were united as 1 God in Their perfect purpose, then they could reconcile this scripture easily, because the billions of people who believe in the apostles could be one in exactly the same way, by being united in a perfect purpose, and work together as if they are 1 Person. Easy.

It is like other parts of the Bible, where we are told that if our right hand offends us, cut it off (Matthew 5:20).

So you are saying in this case that Jesus didn't really mean that billions of people could be one, as They (God and Jesus) were one??

Of course they can't and it would be perfect logic if God and Jesus were 3 Persons in 1 God and physically hoomousia. To think of billions of people in one large hoomousia undulating mass, is unthinkable, so instead of being able to rely on what Jesus actually said, you have to massage it into a metaphor so as to bypass the logical absurd conclusion.

Jesus teaches as follows:
11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

You have given me a few reasons why this cannot be so. The church fathers obviously did not believe what Jesus said was possible, but Jesus says more than once in this prayer that it is so. Who are you going to believe, the church fathers, or the words of Jesus in the bible???

So the question still remains: How can the billions of people that believe in the words of the apostles be one, as God and Jesus are one?

In Mormon theology they can, easily.
In Trinity theology they can not.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
And yet you do not or will not connect the dots. We who are believers all share in God's glory. That's where being "one" ends. God sharing his glory does not mean he shares his 'homoousia', or substance, or essence, or divinity. God is still God, and we are not, nor ever will be.
Seriously, do not talk to me about connecting the dots. We are both in the same boat. Finding truth.

You say that recieving God's glory is the end of being 'one'. Is having glory make us one in the same way as the Trinity is one?? Jesus says we can be one, just like the Holy Trinity is one. I believe that.

Jesus says (twice in this prayer) that all believers can be one, as They are one. This tells me, if it is homoousia or substance or essence or divinity that makes the Trinity one, then the believers will have the same oneness. Whatever makes the Trintiy one, Jesus says the believers can have it too and be one, like they are. This is not rocket science.

Therefore Jesus is a dot, God the Father is a dot, the HS is a dot, all the believers are dots, and around them are many dots that make a circle.

This pretty picture represents the biblical words of Jesus when he says, with this glory that I give them, bless them that they may be one, as we are one.

The dots in the circle represent each separate and distinct individual including 3 dots for the Trinity.

In Mormon theology what Jesus said and the dot pictorial is possible and easy to comprehend.

In Trinity theology what Jesus said and the dot pictorial is impossible and impossible to comprehend.

Again, you have to answer the question: How are Jesus and God one, and can the believers be one in the same way. Jesus says yes, what do you say?

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What ''news scoop'' was Joseph trying to prevent freedom of the press being distributed ?

I think there were several different reasons. The people using the press were excommunicated men who were very bitter. They were in a round about way calling for Joseph's death. There is a conspiracy theory which really can't be verified because no one evolved left any papers on it. However if you stand back and look at the over all picture you can see the power struggle going on. Having a prophet was something new to these people, in all the other churches they belonged to the could vote out the minister if they didn't like what he was preaching but one does not vote out a prophet. I mean they did try it with Moses and that didn't turn out to well.

Some of it was over polygamy, many of them were very unhappy about it. Some of it was over the attempt to live 'with all things in common', meaning they were asked to sell all that they had and turn it over to the church. Some of it was doctrinal and some of it was just personalities. They let hate and anger begin to rule their minds and the Holy Spirit has to leave.

The paper was published only once and the Nauvoo City council voted to shut it down, you might call it hate speech today. And well they got a little over zealous and actually destroyed it.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
My reasoning would go along this path: If Jesus says we can be one even as They, the Holy Trinity are one, then who am I to second guess that it is possible?

The only way I think it is impossible, is to think that 1 billion people could somehow be 1 homoousion, very large object, as the Trinity is 3 Persons in 1 homoousian God. So no wonder the fathers thought that impossible.

I'm sorry to have to be so blunt, but really, this is insanity. Your reasoning is incredibly faulty, frankly bizarre, and reveals a complete lack of understanding of anything concerning even the very basics of Christian theology, the exegesis of the holy scriptures, or even what is sensible to say about God in a more general sense. I mean, after the hundreds of hours you and I have spent discussing this very matter, you still say "that 1 billion people could somehow be 1 homoousion, very large object, as the Trinity is 3 Persons in 1 homoousian God", which is just...what? What even is that? You seriously just do not understand what you are saying. I don't fault you for that, as this is not your theology nor your vocabulary, but you'd think after having it explained to you countless times by ArmenianJohn, by Ignatius the Kiwi, by BigDaddy4, by Phoebe Ann, by me, by everyyyybody across the breadth of Christianity insofar as it is featured on this website, you'd at least learn not to say things like "1 homoousion, very large object" about God. No. That is not what anyone is talking about, and has never been what anyone is talking about, and frankly, the reason why the fathers would have thought this impossible is not because of their limitations, but because it's alien, heretical, pantheistic nonsense resulting from your own inability to understand what words mean, but still for some reason insisting on attempting to use them in a Mormon-compliant manner.

Which any Christian reading your reply will conclude produced nothing but complete and utter nonsene.

If they knew that they were 3 separate and distinct Persons, but were united as 1 God in Their perfect purpose, then they could reconcile this scripture easily, because the billions of people who believe in the apostles could be one in exactly the same way, by being united in a perfect purpose, and work together as if they are 1 Person. Easy.

But you're right: they didn't know that. Nobody knew that before Joseph Smith dreamed it up, because it's a lie. It's not a true reflection or expression of the faith of the apostles. It's one guy's idiosyncratic theology which reincorporates various heresies into a latter-day religious system which its adherents claim is somehow the 'restoration' of the ancient Christian Church which in reality does not testify to anything like it.

So it does not matter whether or not yo think that accepting it would make it 'easier' to interpret the scriptures. That does not make it true. Nothing you could say in its favor would do so, because it is simply not true.

So you are saying in this case that Jesus didn't really mean that billions of people could be one, as They (God and Jesus) were one??

I am using that verse as an example of another place in the Bible where if you take what is said too literally, you end up mutilated (in the case of the instruction in Matthew, physically mutilating yourself; in the case of your eisegesis of John, mutilating God).

Of course they can't and it would be perfect logic if God and Jesus were 3 Persons in 1 God and physically hoomousia. To think of billions of people in one large hoomousia undulating mass, is unthinkable, so instead of being able to rely on what Jesus actually said, you have to massage it into a metaphor so as to bypass the logical absurd conclusion.

But that's not the conclusion they make; that's the conclusion you make. They know what the words they are using actually mean. You, by virtue of the fact that you just wrote "physically homoousia" (and everything else you have written on this topic), clearly do not.

Jesus teaches as follows:
11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

You have given me a few reasons why this cannot be so. The church fathers obviously did not believe what Jesus said was possible, but Jesus says more than once in this prayer that it is so. Who are you going to believe, the church fathers, or the words of Jesus in the bible???

I am going to believe the words of Jesus as recorded in the scriptures, as understood by the Church which wrote and canonized and interpreted (and still interprets!) the scriptures, in accordance with the faith brought to my own Church by St. Mark the evangelist and martyr, the beholder of God and destroyer of idols.

So the question still remains: How can the billions of people that believe in the words of the apostles be one, as God and Jesus are one?

It doesn't still remain, though. The fact that you are unable to stop interpreting things according to Mormonism doesn't mean that the question has not already been answered several times by now. The answers are there, you just cannot accept them because Mormonism has so negatively affected your ability to understand and evaluate things.

In Mormon theology they can, easily.
In Trinity theology they can not.

The Nicene Creed is simple enough for everyone to understand, so I'm going to stick with that, whether or not you or anyone else can understand it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seriously, do not talk to me about connecting the dots. We are both in the same boat. Finding truth.

You say that recieving God's glory is the end of being 'one'. Is having glory make us one in the same way as the Trinity is one?? Jesus says we can be one, just like the Holy Trinity is one. I believe that.

Jesus says (twice in this prayer) that all believers can be one, as They are one. This tells me, if it is homoousia or substance or essence or divinity that makes the Trinity one, then the believers will have the same oneness. Whatever makes the Trintiy one, Jesus says the believers can have it too and be one, like they are. This is not rocket science.

Therefore Jesus is a dot, God the Father is a dot, the HS is a dot, all the believers are dots, and around them are many dots that make a circle.

This pretty picture represents the biblical words of Jesus when he says, with this glory that I give them, bless them that they may be one, as we are one.

The dots in the circle represent each separate and distinct individual including 3 dots for the Trinity.

In Mormon theology what Jesus said and the dot pictorial is possible and easy to comprehend.

In Trinity theology what Jesus said and the dot pictorial is impossible and impossible to comprehend.

Again, you have to answer the question: How are Jesus and God one, and can the believers be one in the same way. Jesus says yes, what do you say?
I've already explained it to you. As well as several other posters. The problem lies within you and your (mis)understanding of Scripture. God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit, and all the believers share in God's glory. It is you who wants to move the dots to God's divinity, and that's just not possible.

God's glory - Trinity, all believers
God's divinity (i.e., essence, substance, homoousia, etc.) - Trinity only

I don't know how clearer we can make the picture for you.

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've already explained it to you. As well as several other posters. The problem lies within you and your (mis)understanding of Scripture. God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit, and all the believers share in God's glory. It is you who wants to move the dots to God's divinity, and that's just not possible.

God's glory - Trinity, all believers
God's divinity (i.e., essence, substance, homoousia, etc.) - Trinity only

I don't know how clearer we can make the picture for you.
The picture can't be clear because you have stretched and forced it into what it is not. With all the biblical contradictions to how you interpret it I can't believe you maintain the same faith in it. It has been shown you many times. All of you skirt around it forcing it to either be literal or figurative. What ever suits your faith. Some of the best teachings and explanations have been given to you that I have had the pleasure to read. They have been so well thought out that it must have taken them quite a bit of time to present it. Seldom have I heard any appreciation for the sacrifice of their time to do the research to be able to teach these wonderful truths. These have been true pearls of the gospel.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
While people have liked my post #135 from earlier today, I have to say that after re-reading it a little while ago when I came back from my walk, I don't like it and I think it comes across as more confrontational and harsh than I meant it to be. I wouldn't disown it, but the tone seems off. I'll admit I'm frustrated and even exasperated at the constant correction having to be done here over even the most basic things, but at the root of that we must acknowledge a difference of understanding that is probably not going to go away with one or a million more explanations from any of the fathers, or from me, or from NYCGuy, or anyone else who has posted or will post. At their roots, Christianity and Mormonism are different religions, and hence it's a bit silly to even expect a Mormon to be able to be conversant in Christian theology and its terminology. Why would they be? They have their own Mormon terminology, phraseology, and understanding of everything, which of course to them is right, so there's no need to change it (in their view), or even to understand that of others (Christians).

But to the extent that Mormons still try to engage with and use Christian terminology and are not able to successfully do so, I think I have found a video that would be helpful. It is about the Islamic concept of "shirk" (association), answered from a Christian apologist who adopts the Islamic definition of what is after all an Islamic term, and uses that to answer Islamic claims to monotheistic belief:

The content of the video is irrelevant to why I chose it (it is an interesting topic, but completely outside the bounds of this thread). What I want to focus on is the way that the argument in it is constructed:

1- He establishes the definition of the term.
2- He shows how that definition is found in the traditional Islamic sources like the Qur'an and the Hadith by actually quoting them to show how Islam defines this concept.
3- He goes on to show how, according to their own definition as established in their books, Islam is full of 'shirk' (association).

Now, no doubt this argument is still not convincing to many Muslims for whatever reason, but you cannot say that it is not properly structured. I would like to see more of that type of argumentation from our Mormon friends, because so far it seems like their argumentation instead go like this:

1- They are presented with some piece of Christian theology by Christians.
2- Christians substantiate that this is in fact the Christian belief by reference to the Holy Bible and the early fathers, or from whatever understanding comes from their own denomination or communion (for those who do not explicitly rely on the fathers and the other early sources like the Didache or the Didascalia Apostolorum).
3- Mormons take whatever is given in point 2, interpret the Christian doctrine therein according to Mormon understanding because their own religion does not recognize any of the traditional sources of Christianity (aside from the Bible, so long as it is also interpreted according to Mormonism).
4- That (Mormon) reinterpretation is then argued from, with the expectation that Christians will answer for the 'problems' pointed out in it that were actually created by it (e.g., this stuff about being one as Christ and the Father are one, which is not about sharing essential oneness as is shared by the Father and the Son such that everyone is incorporated into the Holy Trinity to make one giant God out of millions of people, but since that's how Mormons here understand it, we are then expected to answer how we can maintain our Trinitarian doctrine in the face of that obvious 'contradiction' of it).
5- Christians tell Mormons that what the Mormon has presented is not in line in with what Christian doctrine actually is, that they have misunderstood it, and should (re-)read what they have been given.
6- The Mormon interlocutors are understandably offended at being told that they do not understand, or claim that the material or the terminology are just too dense or nonsensical to be understood, so everyone should be Mormon because it's easier (?), and the conversation finishes with no one having actually successfully communicated anything.

It is obvious from looking at the above why anyone, Christian or Mormon or other, would become exasperated after a few iterations of this, and in truth we have had many! :(

All of this is a long way of saying to Peter personally, and the board more generally, that I am sorry that I have at times in our conversations lost my temper and posted in a way that does not reflect the irenic spirit of Christianity. This is my fault and my sin, and I pray that the Lord set a guard over my mouth (fingers). I have sinned; forgive me.

And I hope that we can strive to understand one another better by a serious dedication to the study of the sources we are given as sources in themselves (i.e., as evidence that Christians believe X or that Mormons believe Y, and why they believe that), so that the Christians can understand Mormons and Mormonism and the Mormons can understand Christians and Christianity. We don't have to agree, but I think we can do better at communicating than we are currently doing.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
While people have liked my post #135 from earlier today, I have to say that after re-reading it a little while ago when I came back from my walk, I don't like it and I think it comes across as more confrontational and harsh than I meant it to be. I wouldn't disown it, but the tone seems off. I'll admit I'm frustrated and even exasperated at the constant correction having to be done here over even the most basic things, but at the root of that we must acknowledge a difference of understanding that is probably not going to go away with one or a million more explanations from any of the fathers, or from me, or from NYCGuy, or anyone else who has posted or will post. At their roots, Christianity and Mormonism are different religions, and hence it's a bit silly to even expect a Mormon to be able to be conversant in Christian theology and its terminology. Why would they be? They have their own Mormon terminology, phraseology, and understanding of everything, which of course to them is right, so there's no need to change it (in their view), or even to understand that of others (Christians).

But to the extent that Mormons still try to engage with and use Christian terminology and are not able to successfully do so, I think I have found a video that would be helpful. It is about the Islamic concept of "shirk" (association), answered from a Christian apologist who adopts the Islamic definition of what is after all an Islamic term, and uses that to answer Islamic claims to monotheistic belief:

The content of the video is irrelevant to why I chose it (it is an interesting topic, but completely outside the bounds of this thread). What I want to focus on is the way that the argument in it is constructed:

1- He establishes the definition of the term.
2- He shows how that definition is found in the traditional Islamic sources like the Qur'an and the Hadith by actually quoting them to show how Islam defines this concept.
3- He goes on to show how, according to their own definition as established in their books, Islam is full of 'shirk' (association).

Now, no doubt this argument is still not convincing to many Muslims for whatever reason, but you cannot say that it is not properly structured. I would like to see more of that type of argumentation from our Mormon friends, because so far it seems like their argumentation instead go like this:

1- They are presented with some piece of Christian theology by Christians.
2- Christians substantiate that this is in fact the Christian belief by reference to the Holy Bible and the early fathers, or from whatever understanding comes from their own denomination or communion (for those who do not explicitly rely on the fathers and the other early sources like the Didache or the Didascalia Apostolorum).
3- Mormons take whatever is given in point 2, interpret the Christian doctrine therein according to Mormon understanding because their own religion does not recognize any of the traditional sources of Christianity (aside from the Bible, so long as it is also interpreted according to Mormonism).
4- That (Mormon) reinterpretation is then argued from, with the expectation that Christians will answer for the 'problems' pointed out in it that were actually created by it (e.g., this stuff about being one as Christ and the Father are one, which is not about sharing essential oneness as is shared by the Father and the Son such that everyone is incorporated into the Holy Trinity to make one giant God out of millions of people, but since that's how Mormons here understand it, we are then expected to answer how we can maintain our Trinitarian doctrine in the face of that obvious 'contradiction' of it).
5- Christians tell Mormons that what the Mormon has presented is not in line in with what Christian doctrine actually is, that they have misunderstood it, and should (re-)read what they have been given.
6- The Mormon interlocutors are understandably offended at being told that they do not understand, or claim that the material or the terminology are just too dense or nonsensical to be understood, so everyone should be Mormon because it's easier (?), and the conversation finishes with no one having actually successfully communicated anything.

It is obvious from looking at the above why anyone, Christian or Mormon or other, would become exasperated after a few iterations of this, and in truth we have had many! :(

All of this is a long way of saying to Peter personally, and the board more generally, that I am sorry that I have at times in our conversations lost my temper and posted in a way that does not reflect the irenic spirit of Christianity. This is my fault and my sin, and I pray that the Lord set a guard over my mouth (fingers). I have sinned; forgive me.

And I hope that we can strive to understand one another better by a serious dedication to the study of the sources we are given as sources in themselves (i.e., as evidence that Christians believe X or that Mormons believe Y, and why they believe that), so that the Christians can understand Mormons and Mormonism and the Mormons can understand Christians and Christianity. We don't have to agree, but I think we can do better at communicating than we are currently doing.
Just remember dzheremi, I have very thick skin, and I am not offended easily.
I appreciate your thoughtful sentiments, it is a Christian essential in these days, you bear it well. So do not be frustrated with my directness and persistence, it is my hope that by this method I can cut through the learning process quicker and get to that understanding level quicker. It is an uphill climb however because of my Mormon background, compared to your historical Christian background.

I would have thought that using the bible as our source would have been helpful, however, that has been elusive so far. Maybe as we persist and hammer through it, some knowledge will be transferred both ways.

So I would like to continue our discussion of John 17:11 and 22.
Both of these verses tell us that the believers may be one as God and Jesus are one.

To me that is a perfect little snapshot of the oneness of God and Jesus. For Mormons we say, yes, we understand perfectly. Since God and Jesus are separate and distinct Persons, but can still be 1 God by being perfectly united in Their purpose. We can be one in exactly the same way. We as believers are separate and distinct persons, but can be 1 people by being perfectly united in our purpose. We can be one as Jesus and God are one.

I have explained how Mormons believe people can be one as Jesus and God are one. Now what I would like you to do is explain how you think people can be one as Jesus and God are one using your mainline Christian verbiage.

One thing though, BigDaddy4 did respond by saying that we cannot be one as Jesus and God are one. He says we can be glorified like them, but that is where it ends. The oneness question was never reconciled with Jesus's bible words.

The church father John Chrysostom. that you quoted said, for it was not possible for them in so great a degree, but only as far as was possible for men. Again the oneness question is not reconciled with Jesus's bible words.

So it seems to me that you are not able to reconcile the true source scriptural passage to your Trinity theology, so please explain once again how we as believers can be one as God and Jesus are one, by using Christian verbiage and reconcile it to Trinity doctrine like I did with our Mormon theology. Thanks

Then if we can understand each other about John 17:11 & 22, we may look at John 17:21 which goes even deeper in our relationship with God and Jesus. John 17:11 & 22 may be simple compared to John 17:21.

Upvote 0