I've started to become attached to the KJV, is there any proof though that its the..

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Speaking of 1 John 5:7, you wrote:

I believe that it was a gloss, or piece of commentary that was then incorporated as if it were a correction.
Simon J Kistemaker in his commentary on 1 John (1986 New Testament Commentary: Exposition of James, Epistles of John, Peter, and Jude. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Baker Academic, pp. 353-354) wrote of 1 John 5:7,
"For there are three that testify: the Spirit, the water and the blook." Of the English-language translations, only two (KJV, NKJV) have the expanded verses (vv. 7-8). "For there are three that bear witness on earth" (NKJV). The translators of the New King James Version, however, state in a footnote that the Greek New Testament (Nestle-Aland, United Bible Societies, and Majority Text) "omit the words from 'in heaven' (v. 7) through 'on earth' (v. 8)." Only four or five very late Greek manuscripts contain these words.
John actually writes that three (Spirit, water, and blood) are testifying. But why does John place the historical facts of Jesus' baptism (water) and death (blood), to which the Spirit testifies, on the same level as the Spirit? How can water and blood testify along with the Spirit? We need to look at the text from a Semitic point of view. Impersonal objects can testify: for example, the heap of stones Jacob and Laban put together was called a witness (Gen. 31:48). And according to the Mosaic law (Deut. 19:15), "One witness is not enough.... A matter must be established by testimony of two or three witnesses."
So only 4 or 5 late manuscripts contain the additional words that are in the KJV and NKJV. The earlier manuscripts do not included them. So, the KJV and the NKJV have added these words that are not in the earliest versions.

Oz

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
*Deep sigh* I've read the Holy Bible so many times it's coming out of my ears and nose. And then when you realize you're sick of something and you've had enough of it you put it down.
Why don't you convert this comment into some meaningful conversation with which we can engage?

Oz

Upvote 0

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have a KJV and an NLT in my room. They are sort-of-opposite translations (as in one is hardest and one is easier to read) but I REALLY like having two different translations. I learn more that way, because I can compare the texts. The KJV seems more poetic to me, (and maybe a touch more accurate, but how would I know?) while I sometimes learn more from the NLT because the vocabulary isn't as complex.

I also have a copy of the Apocrypha. Even though most Protestant churches don't regard the books Judith, Tobit, Maccabees, etc. as Holy Scripture, they are interesting reading.

Upvote 0

yogosans14

Mar 3, 2013
✟19,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a KJV and an NLT in my room. They are sort-of-opposite translations (as in one is hardest and one is easier to read) but I REALLY like having two different translations. I learn more that way, because I can compare the texts. The KJV seems more poetic to me, (and maybe a touch more accurate, but how would I know?) while I sometimes learn more from the NLT because the vocabulary isn't as complex.

I also have a copy of the Apocrypha. Even though most Protestant churches don't regard the books Judith, Tobit, Maccabees, etc. as Holy Scripture, they are interesting reading.

I have the NLT and KJV as well!:)

I really like the NLT but prefer KJV when it comes to accuracy

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

The KJV and the NLT are not really "sort-of-opposite translations" as that would make them contradictory. They use 2 different philosophies of translation. The KJV uses formal equivalence, which tries - as much as possible - to give word-for-word translation. That's very difficult to do when one understands Hebrew and Greek.

The NLT uses dynamic equivalence as a translation method, which is meaning-for-meaning from the original languages to English.

Oz

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums