I've prayed the prayer - where is the HS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

armothe

Living in HIS kingdom...
May 22, 2002
Visit site
✟16,561.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
Just for grins I visited the "Become a Christian Now" section of www.christianforums.com which states all a person needs to do is recite the following prayer to be saved:

“Father, I know that I have broken your laws and my sins have separated me from you. I am truly sorry, and now I want to turn away from my past sinful life toward you. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.”

I must have prayed this prayer several times; both when I was a child and as a young adult.

Where is the Holy Spirit? Some claim to be able to do extraordinary feats with the power of the Holy Spirit, I cannot.

Am I saved?

-A

Hobo No More

Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
✟7,901.00
Faith
Christian
You are saved if you excepted that quote and accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. It says in the Bible that to be saved you need to 'believe and repent'.
Recieving the Holy Spirit is a great gift God gives us, although recieving it isn't essential in being saved.
Pursue a relationship with Jesus as the Lord of your life and God will give you your hearts desires (not that this should be the reason why you are believing - to gain profit... lol). God like a Father has gifts available for his children. He will give them to you in time.

Upvote 0

DJG

Oct 23, 2003
London
Visit site
✟15,157.00
Faith
Christian
I heard a good analogy recently which compared humans and there receipt of the gift of the holy spirit to that of a sponge.

When you think of yourself as being seperated from God compare yourself to a sponge that has dried out in the sun and the holy spirit to be water.
When the sponge is first dipped into the water it will take time to soak up the moisture because a hard crust has developed on the surface of the sponge making it difficult for the water to penetrate. It is not until the sponge has been submeresed for sometime, that it truly starts to become saturated.

It is the same with the holy spirit. Because you have been sperated from God, you have developed a "hard crust" it is not until you begin to live with the holy spirt, letting him into your life day by day, until eventually, you become saturated.

It will happen. If you sincerely asked God to come into your life and have repented your sins, promising to not make the same mistakes again with the help of the Lord, you will be saved. You have a gaurantee in the bible and in Jesus Christ.

D.

;-)

Upvote 0

suzie

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
✟1,406.00
Faith
Christian

Recieving the Holy Spirit is a great gift God gives us, although recieving it isn't essential in being saved.

I must be misunderstanding this somehow. All who are saved die to self and take on Christ. It is we who no longer live but the Spirit lives in us. It happens at the very moment when we ask Christ into our hearts and lives.

Armothe-

I can tell you this. You can pray that prayer till you are blue in the face, however, if you dont mean it sincerely, it wont do you any good. There are many who desire God and begin to move closer to Him. They mimic Christians around them, and begin to do the things Christians do, however, they may not have truly ever desired for God to "take over" and only want a casual friendship with Him. Eventually they will either take the step or walk away. When we invite Christ into our hearts, we are saying not my will, but Thy will. The Holy Spirit then begins a work in us, changing us from the inside out, sanctifying us throughout the rest of our lives. Only God knows our true heart. A Christian walk isnt measured by extraordinary powers that we display. When I became a Christian, God worked powerfully in my life. But it was the way He gave me peace and joy in Him. It was from the inside out. I know another couple who came to Christ, and soon afterward, they lost their careers, home, and things got quite "messy", however, it wasnt what happened to them, but how they leaned on God through this that was powerful.
If the Holy Spirit isnt evident in your life, and you believe you have given your life to Christ, then pray that God makes His presence evident. Then watch how God does that! Also, get into a church or fellowship where other Christians can encourage and pray with and for you as well as hold you accountable. We arent meant to go this alone.

Upvote 0

Lyle

I am last minute stuff
Nov 12, 2003
Home
Visit site
✟11,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
armothe said:
Just for grins I visited the "Become a Christian Now" section of www.christianforums.com which states all a person needs to do is recite the following prayer to be saved:

“Father, I know that I have broken your laws and my sins have separated me from you. I am truly sorry, and now I want to turn away from my past sinful life toward you. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.”

I must have prayed this prayer several times; both when I was a child and as a young adult.

Where is the Holy Spirit? Some claim to be able to do extraordinary feats with the power of the Holy Spirit, I cannot.

Am I saved?

-A
it would seem easy just to pray the prayer and get the prize... Tell me, why did you pray the prayer?

Upvote 0

armothe

Living in HIS kingdom...
May 22, 2002
Visit site
✟16,561.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
Lyle said:
it would seem easy just to pray the prayer and get the prize... Tell me, why did you pray the prayer?
As mentioned, I prayed the prayer of salvation several times. I must admit when I was a child I truly didn't understand what biblical salvation entailed. However, when I was older I realized that Adam and Eve introduced sin into the world. Sin is what seperates man from God. God desired for that seperation to be repaired, thus sending Jesus Christ to pay the penalty for all sins. In order for a person's sins to be "paid" and no longer appear as a sinner before God's eyes, they must indeed believe Christ was who He said He was and that He accomplished His mission. Once you do that you now enter into a relationship with God and it begins to change your life.

Growing up I was always told, "Believe and Receive (the HS)!" by our pastors.
Strangely enough though I've never seen firsthand evidence of the Holy Spirit working in the lives of people around me - the way it once did in the New Testament.

Regardless I have a wonderful relationship with God. He speaks to me (through His living Word) and I speak to Him (through prayer). I continue to work towards living a life of love and removing acts of sin from my life.
I have never been able to prophecy. I have never been able to heal. I have never been able to speak in tongues.

-A

Upvote 0

armothe

Living in HIS kingdom...
May 22, 2002
Visit site
✟16,561.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
Lyle said:
And what do you ecpect from God, as in the giving of the Holy Spirit? Asking more then just the answer of, you want to recieve the Holy Spirit. But what are you looking for? Any kind of feeling? Impowerment?
As I've mentioned, I don't really care if I have those New Testament powers of the Holy Spirit. It is just very disheartening to hear of other Christians having all of these gifts - then they turn around and scorn you because: "you must not be a true Christian because there is no evidence of the Holy Spirit".

Like I said, I've never seen first-hand evidence of the Holy Spirit working the miracles it did through the apostles as described in the New Testament. So I'm not even sure these people who claim to have the HS, have the HS.

What am I looking for? Evidence the HS is in my life.

-A

Upvote 0

aanjt

Jen
Dec 16, 2003
United States
✟559.00
Faith
Anglican
armothe said:
I have never been able to prophecy. I have never been able to heal. I have never been able to speak in tongues.

-A

These are only some of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. I am assuming you were brought up Pentecostal? I ask that because the only people that I know IRL that say the only evidence of being saved is speaking in tongues are Pentecostal. There are many gifts:

1 Corinthians 12:6-11

There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.

If you notice, speaking in tongues and interpreting tongues are the very last gifts mentioned. Wisdom is the first gift mentioned. Faith by the Spirit is also a gift.

I'm a Christian and I have never spoken in tongues or healed anyone.

Yours in Christ,
Jen

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟21,005.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First of all Armothe, you are NOT saved by saying the "sinner's prayer". That prayer is not even hinted at in Scripture. You are saved because of what God has done through Jesus Christ on the cross IF (and that's a BIG "if") you have chosen to turn from your old ways ("repent") and follow God's ways. Read John 3:16 again. "Believe" there means "cling to" or "put trust in". If you've chosen to put your trust in the Lord then you are saved because the Bible says you are saved. It's that simple.

As far as the presence of the Holy Spirit is concerned He is promised in Acts 1:8 and the evidence of His presence in your life is the Power Jesus promises there IF you have committed your life to Him. It is also said that the "fruit of the Spirit" (GAL 5:22) is evidence of His presence. Regarding the gifts of the Spirit, read 1 COR 12 and ROM 12. Those make it clear that there are many gifts given AS THE SPIRIT CHOOSES and not everyone has all the gifts.

There is no Scripture than declares the evidence of the presence of or "baptism in" the Holy Spirit is speaking in tongues. This conclusion has been arrived at by certain Pentacostal groups based on the experience the disciples had in the Book of Acts.

There are, sadly, some Pentacostal groups and individuals who place an exaggerated importance on the gift of tongues by insisting EVERYONE MUST speak in tongues and, in doing so, cause division in the Body of Believers. Fortunately there are others who accept tongues for the Biblical gift it is.

So, the first order of business is for you to decide IF you have made that commitment.

Upvote 0

armothe

Living in HIS kingdom...
May 22, 2002
Visit site
✟16,561.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
revrobor said:
First of all Armothe, you are NOT saved by saying the "sinner's prayer". That prayer is not even hinted at in Scripture.
So what you are saying is that Christian Forum's definition of a Christian is incorrect (or incomplete)?

-A

Upvote 0

aanjt

Jen
Dec 16, 2003
United States
✟559.00
Faith
Anglican
armothe said:
So what you are saying is that Christian Forum's definition of a Christian is incorrect (or incomplete)?

-A

Whoa! The definition of a Christian on this forum are those who have said the "sinners prayer" and believe that they are saved because of that prayer? My belief is that Jesus saves us in his time, not ours. Meaning that maybe he saved us while still in the womb, maybe he saved us on our deathbed, maybe he saved us when we were baptized, maybe he saved us sometime before we were baptized, or maybe he saved us sometime after we were baptized. Maybe he saved us after a time we considered ourselves a Christian. Because, it is by his grace that we our saved. Our works show our faith in Christ, though (so, this does not rule out works).

Yours in Christ,
Jen

Upvote 0

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟21,005.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
armothe said:

-A
I said nothing about the Christian Forums definition of a Christian. I said the sinner's prayer cannot be found in the Bible. I defy you or anyone else to point out to me where the "sinner's prayer" is a necessary part of salvation. It is man's tradition.

The only thing required of one to be given the gift of salvation is laid out in John 3:16: "Believe". And there "believe" means "put your trust in" or "cling to". When a person has done that they have "repented" (turned from their old sinful ways and chosen to follow God). There ARE things required for spiritual growth but, sadly, many in the Christian community have not learned the difference and insist on passing error on to those seeking salvation. Little wonder the Church hasn't grown as it should have.

Upvote 0

armothe

Living in HIS kingdom...
May 22, 2002
Visit site
✟16,561.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
revrobor said:
I said nothing about the Christian Forums definition of a Christian. I said the sinner's prayer cannot be found in the Bible. I defy you or anyone else to point out to me where the "sinner's prayer" is a necessary part of salvation. It is man's tradition.
I tend to agree with you.

So I've repented.

I believe.

I cling to a relationship with God.

Where is the promise of the Holy Spirit in my life? Again, I do not see any evidence such as what the disciples had in the 1st century.

-A

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟21,005.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
armothe said:
I tend to agree with you.

So I've repented.

I believe.

I cling to a relationship with God.

Where is the promise of the Holy Spirit in my life? Again, I do not see any evidence such as what the disciples had in the 1st century.

-A
The Holy Spirit will not OVERPOWER you, He will EMPOWER you to resist temptation and to defeat the Enemy when you are attacked at your weakest points. In Biblical times the Holy Spirit manifest Himself in ways that were uniquely needed for that time. We read much about His empowering the disciples to heal, cast out demons, speak in foreign languages they had not learned in order to spread the Gospel because those writing what we call the Scriptures today were intimately involved in those manifestations. There is no Scripture to support the idea that the Spirit is not manifesting Himself the same way today. He certainly does. But what He is doing today is not covered by journalists so we don't hear much about what He is doing.

But remember, we don't all receive the same gifts. The Spirit will give to each one of us whatever gift it is He choses for whatever the need is in our lives at that time (ROM 12:6-8). Power is the only manifestation (gift) Jesus promised us all in the Holy Spirit. Analize your life to determine how it is the Spirit is manifesting Himself in you. You may be surprise to learn He is at work in you. Don't let anyone tell you that you MUST receive a certain manifestation of the Spirit in order to be a true follower of the Lord Jesus.

Upvote 0

pmarquette

Nov 17, 2003
Auburn , IL.
Visit site
✟8,938.00
Faith
Protestant
armothe said:
Just for grins do not test God or grieve the Holy Spirit ?

I visited the "Become a Christian Now" section of www.christianforums.com which states all a person needs to do is recite the following prayer to be saved: a couple of prerequisites : believe , repent , speak , believe , expect , rejoice , give thanks

have you been water baptised ? has the elder / bishop / pastor laid hands on you , anointed you with oil , that you might be " confirmed " / filled with the Holy Spirit --- per acts 19.5 +/- ?

Where is the Holy Spirit? as per other posts .... as your faith draws him ; no faith , no faith demand , no obligation - Hebrews 11.6
the gifts are for the service of God , in conjunction with a call , and destiny
as the Spirit wills and Jesus ordains [ for this particular living stone , of his church ; according to the Father's will .... ]

Some claim to be able to do extraordinary feats with [ by ] the power of the Holy Spirit, I cannot. as per Mark 16.16-20 , or as in ephesians 4.11,12 , or as in Luke 9.1 , or Luke 9.10 , or for all of us Matthew 25.32-42 ?

Am I saved?
are you sincere in your request , have you decided to folllow christ jesus;
is there evidence of a change within you [ 2 John 1.2 ] ; are you convicted now of things you used to do ....

Mark 16.20 says there should be eividence .... Jesus said there should be some fruit .... as your heart changes .... ezekiel 36.15,26 ; romans 10.8-11

-A

Upvote 0

armothe

Living in HIS kingdom...
May 22, 2002
Visit site
✟16,561.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
revrobor said:
But remember, we don't all receive the same gifts. The Spirit will give to each one of us whatever gift it is He choses for whatever the need is in our lives at that time (ROM 12:6-8). Power is the only manifestation (gift) Jesus promised us all in the Holy Spirit. Analize your life to determine how it is the Spirit is manifesting Himself in you. You may be surprise to learn He is at work in you. Don't let anyone tell you that you MUST receive a certain manifestation of the Spirit in order to be a true follower of the Lord Jesus.
Bob, thanks for your reply.

So besides resisting temptation, what are some of the other ways the HS works in our loves today.

-A

Upvote 0

armothe

Living in HIS kingdom...
May 22, 2002
Visit site
✟16,561.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution

pmarquette said:
do not test God or grieve the Holy Spirit ?
How was I testing God by visiting ChristianForums?

pmarquette said:
have you been water baptised ? has the elder / bishop / pastor laid hands on you , anointed you with oil , that you might be " confirmed " / filled with the Holy Spirit --- per acts 19.5 +/- ?
no, no and no. I don't believe my pastor has the ability to pass on the HS in the same manner Paul and the apostles did.

pmarquette said:
as per other posts .... as your faith draws him ; no faith , no faith demand , no obligation - Hebrews 11.6
the gifts are for the service of God , in conjunction with a call , and destiny
as the Spirit wills and Jesus ordains [ for this particular living stone , of his church ; according to the Father's will .... ]

Done that. At one time I was convinced I had the HS but that he was just "dormant" in my life. Now I question I had him in my life at all.

pmarquette said:
as per Mark 16.16-20 , or as in ephesians 4.11,12 , or as in Luke 9.1 , or Luke 9.10 , or for all of us Matthew 25.32-42 ?
All of the above.

pmarquette said:
are you sincere in your request , have you decided to folllow christ jesus; is there evidence of a change within you [ 2 John 1.2 ] ; are you convicted now of things you used to do .... Mark 16.20 says there should be eividence .... Jesus said there should be some fruit .... as your heart changes .... ezekiel 36.15,26 ; romans 10.8-11

Of course I'm sincere. I've definitely changed since realizing my Christianity.

-A

Upvote 0

pmarquette

Nov 17, 2003
Auburn , IL.
Visit site
✟8,938.00
Faith
Protestant
armothe said:
How was I testing God by visiting ChristianForums?
not the forums .... just for grin's I prayed the prayer ?
no, no and no. I don't believe my pastor has the ability to pass on the HS in the same manner Paul and the apostles did.
Romans 10.14-15 ; Mark 16.16-20 either is true or is not , have to have some thing to impart to another ? can't teach / believe what do not have or understand ...

[/color]
Done that. At one time I was convinced I had the HS but that he was just "dormant" in my life. Now I question I had him in my life at all.
backslidden , busy , oppressed ... if you spoke in tongues , heard His voice , know He is with you .... He is still there , you have put Him on Hold ...
look at 2 chronicles 7.14 ; romans 10.8-11 ; 1 John 1.8-9 -- as many times as it takes , till you are fully persuaded ...
All of the above.
is there a call on your life ? gifts are to serve others , " no ticky - no laundry " gift only as good as our heart .... do you have any charismatic / petecostal brothers .... let them pray with and for you ...

Of course I'm sincere. I've definitely changed since realizing my Christianity.
some of these posts are like making a diagnosis without seeing the patient , we assume all are born again , spirit filled , and speak in tongues , heal the sick and raise the dead.... and many times we are wrong ....

when you mess up in sports , you go back to the fundamentals , same with faith : faith , hope , love , Jesus ...
-A

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.