I've downloaded W 11!!! (and lived to tell the tale)

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
OK - I've dunnit!

Windows 11 arrived on 5 Nov* - I bit the bullet and installed it a couple of days ago. So far no problems. Blood loss was minimal and I still have all my fingers.

The whole process took less than an hour. Since I have a newish desktop (a couple of years old) with a solid state memory and a reasonably fast internet connection, I'm probably at low risk of problems. The hardest bit was making the coffee while I was waiting.

To see if you can download Windows 11, open the 'Windows Update' app in your PC/laptop. It should have analysed your machine and will tell you if you're good to go (or not). I have an older, coal-powered laptop which has been through conversion from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in the past. I doubt that I'll bother to update it.

So far I don't see any significant differences, apart from the Start Menu, but I'm sure there a few goodies buried somewhere in the bowels of Windows 11.

Time will tell. :)

OB

Edit: * the release date was actually 5 October
I updated also, the operation was painless.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
To be fair to Windows - I've been playing with PCs for over 30 years - well before the internet. My first machine was a Commodore 128 bought in the mid 1980s. My second and subsequent machines (mostly desktops) were all Windows based with a Windows browser, apart from a couple of Android tablets and smartphones.

Apart from Windows 8, which I totally avoided, I've never had any real cause for complaint.

OB
Dos 1,2,3. Those were the days!

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Are you saying that Win 11 is the mark of the beast?

I don't wish to alarm anyone but my new Windows 11 install is now asking for all my bank account passwords along with the name and address of my firstborn child.

Should I be worried? :(

OB

• Haha
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't wish to alarm anyone but my new Windows 11 install is now asking for all my bank account passwords along with the name and address of my firstborn child.

Should I be worried? :(

OB
No need to be concerned. You are our primary focus, the most important person in the world.

Now enter those credit card details so we can look after you.

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,940.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Well, maybe they won't steal your computer's DNA, but I found it interesting that Microsoft will now require you to have a Microsoft account to even set up Windows 11. We never needed that for any other version.
https://www.howtogeek.com/739837/fy...equire-a-microsoft-account-for-initial-setup/
It just looks that way. You can actually install it without. There are lots of web pages with instructions, e.g. https://www.askvg.com/tip-how-to-complete-windows-11-setup-without-internet-connection/ or https://www.askvg.com/tip-how-to-install-windows-11-with-local-user-account/ But the easiest approach is to create a throwaway account, install it, create a local account, and never use the MS account again. https://www.askvg.com/tip-how-to-switch-to-a-local-user-account-in-windows-11/ You can probably delete it, but I’d want to try that first.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟423,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
@Wookiee

I was responding to post #11 in this thread. Therefore, my previous post IS relevant. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I downloaded w11 on Oct 6th when it came out. It's decent enough, I don't like start menu that's probably my only complaint.

Lately I haven't been able to use the computer at al. I've been pretty sick with Lithium poisoning for almost a month. I didn't find out about it and emergency medical treatment for it until last Tuesday.

Anyway yeah w11 is great and hoping to fire up my PC soon. I miss it.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,462.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To be fair to Windows - I've been playing with PCs for over 30 years - well before the internet. My first machine was a Commodore 128 bought in the mid 1980s. My second and subsequent machines (mostly desktops) were all Windows based with a Windows browser, apart from a couple of Android tablets and smartphones.

Apart from Windows 8, which I totally avoided, I've never had any real cause for complaint.

OB
Almost like me :D
First computer Vic 20 -> C64 -> Amiga 500 -> Amiga 4000 -> Then Widows boxes from there on out.

Running Win 11 on my laptop without issues.
Desktop Still on 10, CPU too old.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Almost like me :D
First computer Vic 20 -> C64 -> Amiga 500 -> Amiga 4000 -> Then Widows boxes from there on out.

Running Win 11 on my laptop without issues.
Desktop Still on 10, CPU too old.
I m far too young to understand what those are my first (permanent computer anyway) was a 486 with w 3.1 in it. We did rent a 386 but sent it back after two weeks. Guess the guy who renteded the computer to us was ripping off my dad.

Upvote 0

adrianmonk

Recursive Algorithm
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
✟218,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
After I retired as a Social Security Manager I took on a part time job selling tech stuff (PCs, laptops, printers, programs, routers etc.) to Mr and Mrs Average.

Back then Mac users fell into two distinct groups:
  • Power users, typically running graphical applications
  • Arrogant snobs, with too much money, who were looking for a status symbol

I used to refer to the second group as The Oppressed Elite. Elite because they inevitably saw themselves as better than the poor, ordinary folk who used Windows based machines. Oppressed because they would constantly complain about the problem of finding programs and peripherals which were Mac compatible.

Things have changed but, in the early days, Mac users were generally insufferable snobs.

OB

As a Mac user, I can attest this observation is kind of true.

I got on the OSX bandwagon quite early (Blue and white G3 with OSX 10.0 server) mostly because of its Unix roots (yay FreeBSD and NetBSD) and the OpenSTEP base for the OS.

I think the convergence between ios and osx has made the current releases a bit unpolished and clunky. My favorite OSX version is still 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

I havent yet installed Windows 11 on my daily driver (I dual boot with OSX). I have it on a VM which seems to work fine even with the emulated TPM.

Upvote 0