it's not just the Sabbath, It is Gods Calendar also.

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It makes it less ceremonial. Did you lose the point?? Reading the rest of the point would help make that point clear.
Sneaky way to avoid answering the Question Bob, but that is par for the course.

Is 56:6-8 - gentiles specifically singled out for Sabbath keeping
So what Bob? We are not under the old covenant laws. Gentiles were not obligated to keep Torah unless they made a decision to keep it. They were not stoned to death if they didn't make that decision.

Gen 2:1-3 - Adam and Eve (All mankind) given Sabbath in Eden
Here is the text Bob:
2 By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done. Now please show us where it tells us Adam and Eve rested on that or nay 7th day.

Mark 2:27 - Sabbath "made for mankind" According to Christ

Funny not even one other nation in all of the Earth has ever been required to observe it by God's decree. Some Nations still have no idea there was anyone had the Law

Is 66:23 - ALL MANKIND keeping Sabbath for all eternity after the cross in the New Earth

New Heavens and a New Earth Is 65​

17 “See, I will create
new heavens and a new earth.

The
former things will not be remembered,
nor will they come to mind.
How does that promise fit with Is 66:24 where Isaiah tells us every Sabbath we will walk amongst the dead? bodies of those who rebelled against God.

18 But be glad and rejoice forever
in what I will create,
for I will create Jerusalem to be a delight
and its people a joy.
19 I will rejoice over Jerusalem
and take delight in my people;
the sound of weeping and of crying
will be heard in it no more.
20 “Never again will there be in it
an infant who lives but a few days,
or an old man who does not live out his years;
the one who dies at a hundred
will be thought a mere child;
the one who fails to reach a hundred
will be considered accursed.
How does this fit the promise Jesus made to those who believe and love others as He loves us?
21 They will build houses and dwell in them;
they will plant vineyards and eat their fruit.
22 No longer will they build houses and others live in them,
or plant and others eat.
For as the days of a tree,
so will be the days of my people;
my chosen ones will long enjoy
the work of their hands.
23 They will not labor in vain,
nor will they bear children doomed to misfortune;
Hmmm! so according to Isaiah women will bear children. Does this fit what Jesus tells us?
for they will be a people blessed by the Lord,
they and their descendants with them.
24 Before they call I will answer;
while they are still speaking I will hear.
25 The wolf and the lamb will feed together,
and the lion will eat straw like the ox,
and dust will be the serpent’s food.
They will neither harm nor destroy
on all my holy mountain,”
says the Lord.

So, Bob, can we really trust what Isaiah wrote in Is 56 and 66:23-24???

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Funny not even one other nation in all of the Earth has ever been required to observe it by God's decree. Some Nations still have no idea there was anyone had the Law
I'm pretty sure other nations in the ancient near east also observed some form of a sabbath rest - at least specifically Babylon, Assyrian, and probably the Amorites. Though admittedly not completely identical in specific regulations, in the broader ancient near east there was a concept of regular rest from work. In fact, many laws found in the law codes of the Torah also have parallels in the ancient near east. In some cases laws are almost identical (if not completely identical) and other cases the same principle underlying specific laws are also in play in other nations.

This has led many modern scholars (eg, Raymond Westbrook, Dale Patrick, Joshua Berman, John Walton, Anne Fitzpatrick-McKinley) to conclude that there was a common legal tradition across the entire ancient near east.

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟52,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
It seems many nations new the Jews had been given Yahweh's Torah.
Isn't it also written somewhere that
all the gentile nations were without hope and without Christ in the world ?

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems many nations new the Jews had been given Yahweh's Torah.
Isn't it also written somewhere that
all the gentile nations were without hope and without Christ in the world ?
Let's think about that for a minute. Oh yes, I have an answer to ponder over. Remember how Abraham was saved? He didn't have Torah and he lived long before Jesus came on the scene. I think we all will be surprised who will be in Heaven because it is not what we do it is what Jesus has done for us. By the way, no one is saved by having or keeping Yahweh's Torah. We are all saved the same way Abraham was. Read Heb 11.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm pretty sure other nations in the ancient near east also observed some form of a sabbath rest - at least specifically Babylon, Assyrian, and probably the Amorites. Though admittedly not completely identical in specific regulations, in the broader ancient near east there was a concept of regular rest from work. In fact, many laws found in the law codes of the Torah also have parallels in the ancient near east. In some cases laws are almost identical (if not completely identical) and other cases the same principle underlying specific laws are also in play in other nations.

This has led many modern scholars (eg, Raymond Westbrook, Dale Patrick, Joshua Berman, John Walton, Anne Fitzpatrick-McKinley) to conclude that there was a common legal tradition across the entire ancient near east.
Interesting, I wonder if those nations rested because God's decree. I also wonder why the Aztecs, Aborigines, American Indians and etc. were not privy to God's Sabbath command?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟112,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
How does that promise fit with Is 66:24 where Isaiah tells us every Sabbath we will walk amongst the dead? bodies of those who rebelled against God.

That's probably not going to happen for those who do not abide in the Vine.
Moreover the Vine says this about that passage:

Mark 9:43-49 KJV
43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. [Isa 66:24]
45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. [Isa 66:24]
47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. [Isa 66:24]
49 For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt.

In the LXX version of Isaiah 66:24 it is not dead bodies, but rather, chopped off limbs. Good luck with that because without the true understanding of the Torah, as taught by the one whose name is the Vine in the Gospel accounts, the only choices for the natural minded man are to either ignore these kinds of supernal things and pretend they were never said, or pretend that they do not apply to himself, or to go buy a nice sharp bone saw and get to chopping, sawing, and eye-plucking, (which is not the answer).

Isaiah 66:24 OG LXX
24 και εξελευσονται και οψονται τα κωλα [G2966] των ανθρωπων των παραβεβηκοτων εν εμοι ο γαρ σκωληξ αυτων ου τελευτησει και το πυρ αυτων ου σβεσθησεται και εσονται εις ορασιν παση σαρκι

Mickelson's Enhanced Strong's Dictionaries
G2966 κῶλον kolon (kō'-lon) n.
a limb of the body (as if lopped).
[from the base of G2849]

Chop, chop! :D

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting, I wonder if those nations rested because God's decree.

I don't think so in the way I think you're implying. I don't think God showed up at the Babylonian doorstep and said, "here are some laws, follow them." I do think that across the ancient near east there was a recognition that there was a common legal framework and principles that are reflected in different ways in particular legal systems.

For example, Hammurabi and everyone else in the ancient near east knew it was wrong to murder and they had legal rulings around this principle to prohibit murder and punish murderers. It wasn't as if nobody in the ancient near east knew murder was wrong until Israel arrived at Sinai. Likewise, there seems to have been some sort of recognition that working all day every day was bad, and several other ancient near eastern societies also had regular days of rest (though not necessarily identical to Israel's particular practices on sabbath) with prohibited activities.

Upvote 0