Wisconsin, United States of America
✟654,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
59% of what is a majority of what, specifically?

Are you trying to complicate something that is simple in order to twist the facts?

If start with 100 rubber duckies, and you remove 59 of them, you're left with a minority of what you started with. You've removed 59% of the rubber duckies. Any time you have more than 50%, you have a majority.
Understand? If not, I'll try a simpler set of figures, this time using :redapple::redapple::redapple:.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,195.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Are you trying to complicate something that is simple in order to twist the facts?
hmm, starting off by poisoning the well. Resorting to personal attacks right of the bat doesn't give me much hope.

If start with 100 rubber duckies, and you remove 59 of them, you're left with a minority of what you started with. You've removed 59% of the rubber duckies. Any time you have more than 50%, you have a majority.
I notice this isn't actually an answer. It is almost as if there's a need to change the subject in response to a simple clarifying question. That doesn't bode well.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟654,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
hmm, starting off by poisoning the well. Resorting to personal attacks right of the bat doesn't give me much hope.

I notice this isn't actually an answer. It is almost as if there's a need to change the subject in response to a simple clarifying question. That doesn't bode well.

I'm glad you finally understand. I couldn't explain it in any more basic way without risking an insult to the hearer's intelligence. I suppose I could post the Webster's dictionary definition of what a majority is, but I'll leave that to anyone who still doesn't know, which I hope is nobody.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Ok, let's think about it. Is 59% a majority, or is it a minority? Think about it for as long as you need to before responding.
In the meantime, "common sense" tells us that 59% is a majority.

I already explained interpretation of these stats several posts ago (re: multi variables). If you want to address those points you can. Otherwise I don't see any reason to go on this tangent.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
. I suppose I could post the Webster's dictionary definition of what a majority is, but I'll leave that to anyone who still doesn't know, which I hope is nobody.

Just curious but have you ever taken an actual statistics course or done any real world work with statistics or other data sets?

Or are you just armchairing it here?

• Optimistic
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The majority of people injured in car accidents were wearing seatbelts. Therefore, seatbelts don't do anything to protect you from car accidents. That's your logic here.

Exactly. This is why in statistics it's important to understand what is really driving the data, so as not to develop erroneous interpretations.

This is the sort of thing taught in stats courses.

• Winner
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know. Mostly the states with high rates have low vaccination rates, but that's not true for Florida. So it's reasonable to think that it's behavior. I assume the governor's attitude reflects at least a substantial part of the population. So you're probably right.

But there is another possibility. In NJ I note that places with high rates include those with low vaccination, but also one county with reasonable vaccination but lots of shore. Indeed our shore counties are currently a lot higher than the rest o the State. I've got to wonder if vacationers are both increasing the effective population and hanging out in dangerous ways that might not be typical of others. The same could be true in Florida. Of course the State could adopt policies to try and moderate that, and they aren't.

Another thing to consider is that people in Florida spend more time indoors in the summer months than in other states.

The last time I really went anywhere in public was at the start of the Delta surge. Maybe 1 in 4 people were wearing masks. That was enough to convince me to returning to staying home.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,195.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm glad you finally understand. I couldn't explain it in any more basic way without risking an insult to the hearer's intelligence. I suppose I could post the Webster's dictionary definition of what a majority is, but I'll leave that to anyone who still doesn't know, which I hope is nobody.
I can only image if there was an answer which didn't undermine the talking points from previous posts, we'd be reading that now instead of this.

• Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,195.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Exactly. This is why in statistics it's important to understand what is really driving the data, so as not to develop erroneous interpretations.
Yep. For example, something like the age of the patients, combined with vaccination rates being quite different among different age groups in the population.

https://www.covid-datascience.com/p...strong-when-60-of-hospitalized-are-vaccinated

In the case of vaccine effectiveness vs. severe disease, it is the fact that both vaccination status and risk of severe disease are systematically higher in the older age group that makes overall effectiveness numbers if estimated without stratifying by age misleading, producing a paradoxical result that the overall effectiveness (67.5%) is much lower than the effectiveness for either of the age groups (91.8% and 85.2%).

Upvote 0