isn't prepping for Armageddon distrustul?

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Isn't prepping a way of trying to take matters into ones own hands instead of putting ones trust in God the creator of heaven and earth?

Matthew 6:26 King James Version (KJV)

26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
That's the same as asking someone who is prepping for a hurricane, "Why are you boarding up your windows and buying all this extra food? Don't you trust God?"

Ahh, I thought of prepping as in prepping for Armageddon not usual safety measures such as readying oneself, ones livestock and ones property prior to a hurricane or whatever.
I realize I left that information out of my op, I'm sorry I should've made that clear.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ahh, I thought of prepping as in prepping for Armageddon not usual safety measures such as readying oneself, ones livestock and ones property prior to a hurricane or whatever.
I realize I left that information out of my op, I'm sorry I should've made that clear.

As in fighting in a war battle Armageddon? I am not sure how to differentiate unless you are talking about a war

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Isn't prepping a way of trying to take matters into ones own hands instead of putting ones trust in God the creator of heaven and earth?

26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

Hey SM! Thanks for coming by.
Let's address the verse you quoted. If that is the cornerstone of your objection, then to not address that renders the rest of our discussion moot. You are correct in going to the word first for all our life and heart decisions. Amen!
Let me ask straight out... do you believe that the verse you quoted means we should not prepare for future and present needs? Do you sow? That can means "sow" in any form. Do you prepare by working, building a shelter, ensuring you have sufficient water and warmth? Did the apostles? Did the OT saints. Does the word tell us that if we do not work, then we do not eat? The same Word tells us that if we do not provide for our families, then we are worse than infidels. I am not saying ignore what Jesus said... that is always wrong... I am just suggesting that people will quote this verse as well as others, and require that others live by them.. but they do not actually do it themselves. So that is why I ask "do you sow?" Actions speak louder than words > If you do, I suggest that you do not even believe that is what He meant. Few do. Few would are not dead from starvation or exposure. I am not suggesting that you are not practicing what you preach... I am just saying the maybe you don't really think that is what He meant.
But let's look at the context of the verse you quoted, and please notice the opening and closing verses:
Luke 12:22-25 RV
22 And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Be not anxious for your life, what ye shall eat; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on.
23 For the life is more than the food, and the body than the raiment.
24 Consider the ravens, that they sow not, neither reap; which have no store–chamber nor barn; and God feedeth them: of how much more value are ye than the birds!
25 And which of you by being anxious can add a cubit unto his stature?

I think it is obvious that Jesus is not saying "do not see to the needs of your life.." He is saying do not worry about it all the time. The Greek word for "anxious" includes the idea of being distracted. So it means being worried to the point of distraction. In the last verse quoted He says "And which of you by being anxious can add a cubit unto his stature?" Worrying alone does not change anything. Do not expect worrying alone to feed you, clothe you, or even worse, do not think that by worrying you can change things that cannot be changed. He is not saying to not see to the affairs of your life. He is saying that do not think that worrying alone is going to change anything. It is not preparing that is bad... it is worrying and doing nothing about the thing you are worrying about. The context is addressing the useless habit of worrying. I think that most people who read what Jesus said know intuitively that He does not mean to not prepare for you daily and future needs. This can be proved by their own actions. They in fact do prepare for their daily and future needs.
Another thought is this. Most Christian preppers are not preparing for armageddon or even the great tribulation. I prepare primarily for my children and grandchildren and more regional disasters. My wife and I are retiring and have lived a good and happy life. I do not think our country is safe right now. I think things that are going on in our nation that will lead to a period of national judgment. I wrote a book a couple years ago "Why American is Being Judged: How the land will cleanse itself." I do believe the US is in the being of a period of judgment where the land itself is going to spue the inhabitiants out.
In the end, with or without our preps, we trust God. But our trust includes acting in faith (not fear) on what He has told us. Like Noah... we believe God, and therefore prep...
From the "Faith Chapter:"
Hebrews 11:7 KJV
7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared (prepped) an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

agapebondservant

Jul 20, 2017
Gosford
✟9,817.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Jesus warned His disciples to flee Jerusalem when they witnessed the city surrounded by Roman armies ... those who heeded His words fled and survived ... my thoughts are that I do not live in fear of the future but I am ready for the evil day when/if it comes. I have enough food and seeds etc etc for my own kin plus surplus to be a blessing to others as was Joseph in the years of famine (egypt).

• Winner
Reactions: Gaz54au
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The idea is easily addressed by this scenario.
You live downstream from a dam. You hear the dam has a crack and will very likely break at any moment and wash your town away (think Johnstown 1913). What do you do?
1. Spiritualize the entire thing and tell your family that they all should sit tight - God will save you.
2. Grab the babies and all the old ladies, and everyone goes... to higher ground.

I sincerely hope you choose #2.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
As in fighting in a war battle Armageddon? I am not sure how to differentiate unless you are talking about a war

Hey SM! Thanks for coming by.
Let's address the verse you quoted. If that is the cornerstone of your objection, then to not address that renders the rest of our discussion moot. You are correct in going to the word first for all our life and heart decisions. Amen!
Let me ask straight out... do you believe that the verse you quoted means we should not prepare for future and present needs? Do you sow? That can means "sow" in any form. Do you prepare by working, building a shelter, ensuring you have sufficient water and warmth? Did the apostles? Did the OT saints. Does the word tell us that if we do not work, then we do not eat? The same Word tells us that if we do not provide for our families, then we are worse than infidels. I am not saying ignore what Jesus said... that is always wrong... I am just suggesting that people will quote this verse as well as others, and require that others live by them.. but they do not actually do it themselves. So that is why I ask "do you sow?" Actions speak louder than words > If you do, I suggest that you do not even believe that is what He meant. Few do. Few would are not dead from starvation or exposure. I am not suggesting that you are not practicing what you preach... I am just saying the maybe you don't really think that is what He meant.
But let's look at the context of the verse you quoted, and please notice the opening and closing verses:
Luke 12:22-25 RV
22 And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Be not anxious for your life, what ye shall eat; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on.
23 For the life is more than the food, and the body than the raiment.
24 Consider the ravens, that they sow not, neither reap; which have no store–chamber nor barn; and God feedeth them: of how much more value are ye than the birds!
25 And which of you by being anxious can add a cubit unto his stature?

I think it is obvious that Jesus is not saying "do not see to the needs of your life.." He is saying do not worry about it all the time. The Greek word for "anxious" includes the idea of being distracted. So it means being worried to the point of distraction. In the last verse quoted He says "And which of you by being anxious can add a cubit unto his stature?" Worrying alone does not change anything. Do not expect worrying alone to feed you, clothe you, or even worse, do not think that by worrying you can change things that cannot be changed. He is not saying to not see to the affairs of your life. He is saying that do not think that worrying alone is going to change anything. It is not preparing that is bad... it is worrying and doing nothing about the thing you are worrying about. The context is addressing the useless habit of worrying. I think that most people who read what Jesus said know intuitively that He does not mean to not prepare for you daily and future needs. This can be proved by their own actions. They in fact do prepare for their daily and future needs.
Another thought is this. Most Christian preppers are not preparing for armageddon or even the great tribulation. I prepare primarily for my children and grandchildren and more regional disasters. My wife and I are retiring and have lived a good and happy life. I do not think our country is safe right now. I think things that are going on in our nation that will lead to a period of national judgment. I wrote a book a couple years ago "Why American is Being Judged: How the land will cleanse itself." I do believe the US is in the being of a period of judgment where the land itself is going to spue the inhabitiants out.
In the end, with or without our preps, we trust God. But our trust includes acting in faith (not fear) on what He has told us. Like Noah... we believe God, and therefore prep...
From the "Faith Chapter:"
Hebrews 11:7 KJV
7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared (prepped) an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

Jesus warned His disciples to flee Jerusalem when they witnessed the city surrounded by Roman armies ... those who heeded His words fled and survived ... my thoughts are that I do not live in fear of the future but I am ready for the evil day when/if it comes. I have enough food and seeds etc etc for my own kin plus surplus to be a blessing to others as was Joseph in the years of famine (egypt).

Hi people.
I thought of those Christians who prepp for some sort of end of the world scenario.
Kind of after all life but mine and a few others have been wiped off of the face of the earth kind of thought pattern.

Isnt that taking matters into ones own hands?

I dont think about hurricanes and "Normal" disasters like it but something more end of the world as we know it kind of thing.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The idea is easily addressed by this scenario.
You live downstream from a dam. You hear the dam has a crack and will very likely break at any moment and wash your town away (think Johnstown 1913). What do you do?
1. Spiritualize the entire thing and tell your family that they all should sit tight - God will save you.
2. Grab the babies and all the old ladies, and everyone goes... to higher ground.

I sincerely hope you choose #2.

Pray to God but row away from the rocks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The point is that the church isn't going to pass through the Great Tribulation of Matthew 24, as I see it. There is the tribulation principle, certainly, - John 16.33. But the church is not the object of God's wrath on earth.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The point is that the church isn't going to pass through the Great Tribulation of Matthew 24, as I see it. There is the tribulation principle, certainly, - John 16.33. But the church is not the object of God's wrath on earth.
While this is a nice sentiment... it is simply not true. We can show a multitude of examples both in scripture and in history where God's people have endured tribulation side by side with unbelievers. Millions of believers have suffered and died in every sort of torment and suffering imaginable.

Here we see Jesus talking to believers present with Him at that moment who He knew could very well be smack dab in the middle of the worst tribulation that has ever been or will ever be. He was talking to Peter, John, Mary, and the rest. So bad that it would result of the destruction of all flesh. The return of the Lord is what will save us... as well as all life on earth.

Matthew 24:20 KJV
But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
Matthew 24:21 KJV
For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
Matthew 24:22 KJV
And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

And it is only "after the (great vs 21) tribulation of those days" that he shall return and gather His people to Himself.

Matthew 24:29 KJV
Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
Matthew 24:30 KJV
And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
Matthew 24:31 KJV
And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While this is a nice seditment... it is simply not true. We can show a multitude of examples both in scripture and in history where God's people have endured tribulation side by side with unbellivers. Millions of believers have suffered and died in every sort of torment and suffering imaginiable.

Here we see Jesus talking to beleivers present with Him at that moment who He knew could very well be smack dab in the middle of the worst tribulation that has ever been or will ever be. He was talking to Peter, John, Mary, and the rest. So bad that it would result of the destruction of all flesh. The return of the Lord is what will save us... as well as all life on earth.

Matthew 24:20 KJV
But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
Matthew 24:21 KJV
For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
Matthew 24:22 KJV
And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

And it is only "after the (great vs 21) tribulation of those days" that he shall return and gather His people to Himself.

Matthew 24:29 KJV
Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
Matthew 24:30 KJV
And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
Matthew 24:31 KJV
And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
Your quote from Matthew 24: " great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be." is distinct from what is in view in John 16.33.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your quote from Matthew 24: " great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be." is distinct from what is in view in John 16.33.
Thanks ff.
I pray the Lord keep you in the strong faith that is yours. Hope to see you one day before that end! If not... then certainly thereafter in the Kingdom to come!

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The greatest preparation in the Bible that I know of is for the First Passover.

There are others too like the Shemitah, the year when the land is to lay fallow.

It is too like the 40 years in the desert, gather twice as much manna on the sixth day for the seventh day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The greatest preparation in the Bible that I know of is for the First Passover.

There are others too like the Shemitah, the year when the land is to lay fallow.

It is too like the 40 years in the desert, gather twice as much manna on the sixth day for the seventh day.
kind of like the greatest bug-out in all history.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Noah was not the object of God's wrath, but he went through the flood.
Joseph was not the object of God's wrath but he still went into slavery.
Daniel was not the object of God's wrath, but he went into the lions' den.
Shadrach, Meshach and Abednigo ... ... ... but they went into the fiery furnace.

Being dead isn't how he saves us. God takes us through troubles, and he is able
to shelter us from harm in any circumstances. Even the great tribulation.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Gaz54au

Apr 23, 2017
Tenterfield
✟12,444.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Noah was not the object of God's wrath, but he went through the flood.
Joseph was not the object of God's wrath but he still went into slavery.
Daniel was not the object of God's wrath, but he went into the lions' den.
Shadrach, Meshach and Abednigo ... ... ... but they went into the fiery furnace.

Being dead isn't how he saves us. God takes us through troubles, and he is able
to shelter us from harm in any circumstances. Even the great tribulation.

Preach it Pat...
"Noah was a Pepper"...the more we go through the stronger we get...that is why there is so many wishy-washey christians and churches...being sold BS doctrines by power/money hungry Minisrties/Ministers/Pastors and the like...I'll shut up before I say what I really mean...lol

Sorry Pat was going crook at the person you quoted...not you...Bless ya...Gaz

Last edited:
Reactions: pat34lee
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ran into another doubter regarding prepping.

“…some who call themselves Christians have embraced the kind of lifestyle for reasons that aren't especially healthy. Perhaps the most noteworthy and most dangerous of these reasons is fear. We might describe it as "sanctified paranoia."”

Once again we will respond with “If you want to see some fear, watch TV the next time there is a war, a catastrophy, a financial panic. See who is rushing to the local grocery stores for that last bottle of water and squashed tomato. Everyone is a prepper.. some just are proactive about it, while others wait until the last minute or until it is too late. Millions of people, including Christians, have perished because of foolishness… thinking it will never happen to them. Yet we have thousands of years of evidence where millions of believers have perished side by side with unbelievers. War, calamity, and social uprisings do not care what you believe. They will all lay you down next to the unbeliever.

Not being afraid is not the same as being safe.

Upvote 0

Gaz54au

Apr 23, 2017
Tenterfield
✟12,444.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ran into another doubter regarding prepping.

“…some who call themselves Christians have embraced the kind of lifestyle for reasons that aren't especially healthy. Perhaps the most noteworthy and most dangerous of these reasons is fear. We might describe it as "sanctified paranoia."”

Once again we will respond with “If you want to see some fear, watch TV the next time there is a war, a catastrophy, a financial panic. See who is rushing to the local grocery stores for that last bottle of water and squashed tomato. Everyone is a prepper.. some just are proactive about it, while others wait until the last minute or until it is too late. Millions of people, including Christians, have perished because of foolishness… thinking it will never happen to them. Yet we have thousands of years of evidence where millions of believers have perished side by side with unbelievers. War, calamity, and social uprisings do not care what you believe. They will all lay you down next to the unbeliever.

Not being afraid is not the same as being safe.

Mate, you can always tell the difference between those who are true Christians and those that are Pharisees, Sadducees, Essenes, and Zealots.
I get so...no I can't say that...peeved at people who do not read the word of God with the Holy Spirits guidance. The word tells us to be prepared, it has nothing to do with fear but obedience to Gods word.

The Lord has truly blinded those who do not have His spirit or listen to His Spirit.
"Father I pray right now that you would have mercy on those who are blind and deaf in spiritual things and your Holy Spirit would open their eyes and ears and they know the truth of your word. In Jesus name we pray."

Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0