Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I find that I've grown cold, don't care what people think of me. :confused: Everyone has something negative to say about each and everyone of us so I decided to stop caring.

If you are a Ned Flanders type and have bad doctrine your wrong and could be Satan's spawn. If you have bad doctrine I'll club you with my Bible - so look out.

:)

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I find that I've grown cold, don't care what people think of me. :confused: Everyone has something negative to say about each and everyone of us so I decided to stop caring.

If you are a Ned Flanders type and have bad doctrine your wrong and could be Satan's spawn. If you have bad doctrine I'll club you with my Bible - so look out.

:)

JM,

Is that the loving way to treat those who disagree with you?

'By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another' (Jesus in John 13:35 NIV).

Oz

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
A Moron by Any Other Name
INTRODUCTION
Someone recently wrote me and asked about the harsh language that I sometimes use when referring to non-Christians. Specifically, he questions the propriety of addressing the unbeliever with biblical invectives. Although I have already addressed this topic in several places in my writings, I thought that it would be helpful to share my answer to this inquirer with my readers.

Since my purpose is to aid understanding and not to preserve the question and answer in their original form, I have edited the question and expanded the answer.[1] The question serves to provide a context with which the answer can interact. And since the question and answer are no longer in their original form, note that the “you” in the answer portion no longer addresses the original inquirer.

QUESTION
I have read a few of your works and I have to say, I had never really considered apologetics and the mind of Christ in that manner – that the “wisdom” of unbelievers is utterly moronic and foolish, and completely irrational. I totally agree with all your conclusions.

However, is it the best thing to tell them this, with words like “moron,” “intellectual feces,” and so forth? I want to understand how you interpret 1 Peter 3:15 and Colossians 4:5-6 in light of the way you debate non-believers.

ANSWER
First, we should consider whether the descriptions are biblical. You say that you already agree with me on this, so I do not need to spend time establishing it here, although I will still give some attention to several specific words below.

Then, your question becomes whether we should tell the unbelievers what the Bible says about them. But the more appropriate question is whether we have any biblical justification to say that we must hide certain truths from the unbelievers. My position is that rather than hiding any biblical truth from the unbelievers, we should thoroughly disclose, expound, and apply to them all that the Scripture teaches.

Consider the prophets, the apostles, and Christ himself. They all used very strong and even scathing words to criticize hardened sinners. Probably the only counter-argument that I have heard on this point is that they were the infallible exceptions. Well! This is certainly convenient. But why were they the exceptions in this area? Why does it require infallibility to use harsh words? And why were they the exceptions only when it comes to using harsh words and not when it comes to using kind words? No, I refuse to accept mere opinion or speculation on this, but I demand a biblical, exegetical response.

Their principle seems to be that whenever you find certain things in the Bible that you do not approve, or that you do not want to practice, just call them “exceptions.” The blatantly anti-Christian element in their use of Scripture is that, not only do they say that the prophets, the apostles, and Christ were the exceptions in the sense that I have no right to originate these invectives, but that I do not even have the right to apply or repeat the same invectives that they used to the same type of people to whom they used them.

1 Peter 3:15
Of course, 1 Peter 3:15 is frequently used to assert that we must be “nice” when doing apologetics. The verse says, “But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect….” But what does it mean to do apologetics with “gentleness and respect”? Does it mean what the unbelievers tell us it means? Does it mean to be non-offensive, non-confrontational, non-threatening, and to be soft-spoken and sheepish? Or is it infallibly explained and demonstrated by the words and examples of the prophets, the apostles, and Christ himself? We should not assume that the apostle is referring to what the unbelievers consider to be gentleness and respect; rather, we must pay close attention to the context of the verse.

The context of this verse is mainly about Christians who are facing persecution and interrogation from the authorities (government officials, masters, etc.); it does not directly address public preaching or ordinary discourse among peers. Matthew Henry writes that the verse is referring to “the fear of God” and “reverence to our superiors.”[2]

Indeed, when we read the Acts of the Apostles, we see that the disciples were usually more polite when defending themselves before government officials. Even then, Jesus called Herod “that fox” (Luke 13:32). There is a more detailed example from Paul in Acts 23:

(3) Then Paul said to him, “God will strike you, you whitewashed wall! You sit there to judge me according to the law, yet you yourself violate the law by commanding that I be struck!”

(4) Those who were standing near Paul said, “You dare to insult God’s high priest?”

(5) Paul replied, “Brothers, I did not realize that he was the high priest; for it is written: ‘Do not speak evil about the ruler of your people.'”

Note that Paul said, “God will strike you” and “you whitewashed wall.” He essentially cursed the person in the name of God and called him a hypocrite and law-breaker to his face. But then, in relation to what I said about the context of 1 Peter 3:15, when Paul discovered that he was speaking to the high priest, he implied that he would not have said what he said if he had known (v. 5).

Thus, verse 3 illustrates that my approach to the unbelievers is similar to Paul’s, and verses 4-5 illustrate that my understanding of 1 Peter 3:15 makes Peter and Paul consistent. The way my critics and many other believers distort 1 Peter 3:15 would make Peter condemn Paul on verse 3, unless Paul is somehow an “exception,” and thus excused from obeying 1 Peter 3:15. On the other hand, my understanding of 1 Peter 3:15 means that Paul did not necessarily contradict 1 Peter 3:15 in verse 3 (since he did not know that he was speaking to the high priest), and he even indicated his agreement with 1 Peter 3:15 in verses 4 and 5.

Now, I am guessing that my critics would disapprove if I am the one saying something like what Paul said in verse 3. Yet, here it is – Paul did it himself. But of course, Paul was the exception, right? But the exception to what? The exception to “gentleness and respect”? If my critics were to use 1 Peter 3:15 against me, and then call the prophets, the apostles, and Christ the exceptions, then they must also affirm that the prophets, the apostles, and Christ himself were exceptions to gentleness and respect in numerous instances, and that in those cases, they showed no gentleness and no respect.

Colossians 4:5-6
As for Colossians 4:5-6, there is nothing about these verses that contradicts my approach. The verses read as follows: “Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.”

My critics falsely apply these verses against my approach. They assume that to use invectives against unbelievers is to not act wisely toward outsiders, and to speak without grace and without salt. But what is the “wisdom” referred to here? What is “grace” and what is “salt”? Why do these things mean what my critics say they mean – that is, to be “nice,” soft-spoken, polite, non-insulting, non-offensive, non-critical, and so forth? What does the Bible mean by these words, and in this context?

Matthew Henry writes, “Grace is the salt which seasons our discourse, makes it savoury, and keeps it from corrupting.”[3] He seems to think that the passage is emphasizing the moral quality or the purity of our conversation, even if other things are implied. So rather than just assuming that Paul is here saying what they want him to say, my critics should offer at least a basic exegetical argument before making accusations.

In any case, if the instruction to “be wise” and to speak with “grace” and “salt” contradicts my approach, then it also contradicts the prophets, the apostles, and Christ himself. Of course, my critics will say that they were the exceptions. But the exceptions to what? The exceptions to “grace” and “salt”? The exceptions to “be wise”? So are they saying that Christ at times spoke with no grace and no salt? And are they calling Christ stupid, that at times he behaved foolishly toward outsiders? I demand that they look up to heaven and repeat this blasphemy to God’s face before applying these verses against me.

In contrast, I dare not and wish not blaspheme. I affirm that Christ was consistently wise in his conduct and conversation, and that he always spoke with grace and salt, and that he always maintained an attitude that was pleasing to God. And I submit that my critics have imposed upon Scripture their own anti-biblical definitions of these words and concepts, and thus at least indirectly blasphemed Christ and directly slandered me.[4] For this, I charge them with sin and urge their repentance. I plead with them to stop defying the Word of God, and condemning those who follow it, but instead to adopt the biblical method and tone in proclaiming and defending the gospel against unbelievers.

Morons and Feces
As for “moron” and “feces,” even these are biblical words. The word “moron” is derived from the Greek moros. Paul uses it in Romans 1:22. There it is translated “fools,” but of course that means the same thing as “morons,” and indeed could have been just as easily and correctly translated as such. As for “feces,” Paul uses a word that is translated “dung” or “refuse” to refer to his former life as an unbeliever in Philippians 3:8. Thayer’s Lexicon explains that the word can refer to “any refuse, as the excrement of animals.” Both the meanings of these words and the contexts in which they appear agree with the way I use them against the unbelievers.

In addition, if “moron” and “feces” are so bad, why do we call unbelievers “sinners,” and call them “sinful” or “wicked”? Even my critics use these words when preaching the gospel and when speaking to unbelievers. Do the biblical passages 1 Peter 3:15 and Colossians 4:5-6 suddenly cease to apply? Are my critics infallible exceptions too? How about the words “depravity” and “adultery”? Are these words full of “grace” and “salt”? How about telling someone that abortion is “murder”? Does that make someone feel all cozy from your “gentleness and respect”? Do you think that these words are not offensive to unbelievers? Do you think that they would prefer to be called “murderers” rather than “morons”?

Here we have come to the real issue – some Christians disagree with my use of invectives mainly because it offends them, and not because they are unbiblical (I have shown that they are biblical) or even because they offend the unbelievers (all biblical teachings offend unbelievers anyway). And these Christians are offended because their minds have not been taught and renewed in this area, so that their standards are still very much like those of the unbelievers; therefore, they are offended by the same things that offend the unbelievers. Another possibility is that at least some of these critics are still unconverted themselves, and since their priority is still man’s dignity and not God’s glory, then of course they are offended.

Because my critics have impose their own definitions of these words on Scripture, they have created for themselves numerous theological problems and contradictions, and we have already mentioned their slanders and blasphemies. On the other hand, I have enough reverence for God to let the Scripture interpret itself; therefore, I affirm that using these biblical words (morons, feces, sinners, adulterers, murderers, etc.) in contexts similar to those in which they appear in Scripture is in complete accord with 1 Peter 3:15, Colossians 4:5-6, and all other related passages.

According to Scripture, unbelievers are nothing but spiritual and intellectual fecal matter. Otherwise, why in the world do you think they need to convert? Why do you think that they are helpless apart from God’s sovereign grace?

CONCLUSION
Under biblically-approved conditions, we are permitted, and at times even duty-bound, to use biblical invectives against unbelievers and heretics. We do not call them “morons” or “feces” out of personal vindictiveness, but to proclaim what Scripture says about them, and to declare to them that they are not the rational and decent people that they imagine themselves to be.

A moron by any other name is still an idiot, and there is really no reason to use other words and expressions unless it is to hide our true meaning and to reduce the offensiveness of the biblical message. But what perverse reason is there to obscure biblical teachings? The truth is that the critics of this approach are poor interpreters of Scripture, compromisers with the world, and traitors to Christ and his cause. They defy that which Christ approved and practiced. I dare not and wish not defy my Lord, but I will crush his critics any day.

My critics select biblical passages containing words that they think agree with what they already consider as the right approach to apologetics (that is, non-offensive, socially polite discourse), rip them out of their original contexts, and try to bury me with them. Their teaching in this area is indeed very ingrained into the thinking of many believers, and it will take some deliberate effort for many to recover the biblical way of thinking and speaking. In a day when everything about Christianity is being diluted to nothing, I call upon all believers to recover the proper use of biblical invectives, and to learn how to integrate it into a faithful and effective system of biblical theology and apologetics.

I understand that my position on this issue is unpopular, but it is indeed biblical, and what is biblical is often unpopular. Although I am often criticized on this, I am not ashamed of biblical expressions and descriptions, and I will absolutely refuse to budge an inch on this issue. It is a believer’s duty to carefully examine what he has been taught on this matter, and to reconsider the contexts of the verses traditionally used to oppose the invectives employed by the prophets, the apostles, the Lord Jesus, the Reformers, and that I now use.

Moreover, it is important to note that I try to use harsh words and insults only under similar contexts in which Scripture uses them. But in accepting the non-Christian standard of social propriety and in distorting a number of biblical passages, many Christians have come to the conclusion that this approach should never be used under any context, and thus they indirectly (but just as certainly) condemn the prophets, the apostles, and Christ himself, and in doing so, they have really condemned themselves.

The truth is that when I call someone a moron, I have at least momentarily spared him from the worst insult of all, an insult that represents all that is stupid, evil, filthy, and vile, and that speaks of someone who has no hope of getting better and no chance of escaping everlasting hellfire except by the sovereign grace of God. I am, of course, referring to the name “non-Christian.” And once we have already used the greatest of insults, the rest are almost compliments.

[1] Nevertheless, the answer does not represent a complete biblical exposition on the topic. For more information, see Vincent Cheung, Systematic Theology, Ultimate Questions, Presuppositional Confrontations, Apologetics in Conversation, Commentary on Ephesians, and “Professional Morons”; Douglas Wilson, The Serrated Edge: A Brief Defense of Biblical Satire and Trinitarian Skylarking (Canon Press, 2003); Robert A. Morey, “And God Mocked Them” (audio); and James E. Adams, War Psalms of the Prince of Peace: Lessons From the Imprecatory Psalms (Presbyterian and Reformed Publishing Company, 1991).

[2] Matthew Henry, Matthew Henry’s Commentary on the Whole Bible (Hendrickson Publishers, Inc., 1991).

[3] Ibid.

[4] These critics have also slandered the Reformers, who in the service of God and the Church, so faithfully and effectively employed invectives against unbelievers and heretics. Do you think that they were ignorant of 1 Peter 3:15 and Colossians 4:5-6? No, they did know about them, and wrote sermons and expositions on these verses. But unlike my critics, they also knew the contexts and the proper applications of these verses, and they also knew the rest of the Bible.

Post navigation
← Professional Morons God and Language →
Corporal Punishment
  • Inspired Apostle vs. Academic harlots

Upvote 0

bsd058

Sola and Tota Scripturist
Oct 9, 2012
Florida, USA
✟14,546.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
bsd,

I agree that to show the love of Christ is compulsory for both Arminians and Calvinists.

Your statement needs challenging that 'It's true that Arminians are in error, but at least most are inconsistent. If they were consistent, of course, they would be in heresy (openness theology, Pelagianism, etc.)'. This is a straw man. Reformed Arminianism is not openness theology, Pelagianism or semi-Pelagianism. Roger E. Olson has refuted these false claims in his book, Arminian Theology: Myths and Realities (IVP 2016).

It would take me way too much time in a busy schedule to demonstrate the truth of Reformed Arminianism and the errors of openness theology, Pelagianism and semi-Pelagianism. Meet a Reformed Arminian.

See the Reformed Arminian view of eternal security in the exposition by Stephen Ashby in Four Views on Eternal Security (Zondervan).

Blessings in Christ,
Oz

I don't generally think I am setting up a straw man to say that a consistent Arminian is a heretic. I'm referring to the kind of Arminianism I grew up under. You may not agree, but the type of Arminianism I've grown up with often does lead to that. But I didn't know that there were different types. I would really like to read up on that. Thank you for the source.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I don't generally think I am setting up a straw man to say that a consistent Arminian is a heretic. I'm referring to the kind of Arminianism I grew up under. You may not agree, but the type of Arminianism I've grown up with often does lead to that. But I didn't know that there were different types. I would really like to read up on that. Thank you for the source.

Just remember, you know you are Christ's disciple if you love one another, if you love Christ's disciples. :)

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Please share with me your understanding of a few beliefs of a Reformed Arminian.

Upvote 0

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Please share with me your understanding of a few beliefs of a Reformed Arminian.
Well, you could start with Dordt and from what the Remonstrants were asserting, develop an Arminian Confession of Faith. Fortunately, someone (me) has done exactly that:

The Arminians have no historical confessions to point to for catechesis, so confessing what they believe resorts to a hodge podge of localized views, written and unwritten. They are better off taking the talking points from the Canons of Dordt, to which the Remonstrants were responding, and claiming them as their confession as a starting point. I have done the heavy lifting for them along these lines as shown below.

I have often found it supported by history that the dearth of Armininan systematic theologies speaks to the matter in that those men from the ages indwelt by the Spirit who author systematic theologies have been from the Reformed tradition of faith. It seems to me that when a man spends his life steeped in Holy Writ mining its riches, he inevitably winds up embracing the doctrines of grace.

I pity the Arminian seminarian or layman digesting the systematic theologies authored by the Reformed penman, sitting there with their black marker striking out whole sections of careful exegesis and summary with the astounding chronological snobbery lying behind their "No, I do not believe this", "No, I do not believe that" as they emend what is before them.

The Arminian's view of systematic theology is but one of apophaticism and cavil against those that have come before them.

To wit...

The Thirty-Four Articles of the Arminian Confession of Faith (As Adopted from The Canons of Dordt)

1. It is the will of God to save those who would believe and persevere in faith and in the obedience of faith is the whole and entire decision of election to salvation, and that nothing else concerning this decision has been revealed in God's Word.

2. God's election to eternal life is of many kinds: one general and indefinite, the other particular and definite; and the latter in turn either incomplete, revocable, non-peremptory (or conditional), or else complete, irrevocable, and peremptory (or absolute). Likewise, who teach that there is one election to faith and another to salvation, so that there can be an election to justifying faith apart from a peremptory election to salvation.

3. God's good pleasure and purpose, which Scripture mentions in its teaching of election, does not involve God's choosing certain particular people rather than others, but involves God's choosing, out of all possible conditions (including the works of the law) or out of the whole order of things, the intrinsically unworthy act of faith, as well as the imperfect obedience of faith, to be a condition of salvation; and it involves his graciously wishing to count this as perfect obedience and to look upon it as worthy of the reward of eternal life.

4. In election to faith a prerequisite condition is that man should rightly use the light of nature, be upright, unassuming, humble, and disposed to eternal life, as though election depended to some extent on these factors.

5. The incomplete and non-peremptory election of particular persons to salvation occurred on the basis of a foreseen faith, repentance, holiness, and godliness, which has just begun or continued for some time; but that complete and peremptory election occurred on the basis of a foreseen perseverance to the end in faith, repentance, holiness, and godliness. And that this is the gracious and evangelical worthiness, on account of which the one who is chosen is more worthy than the one who is not chosen. And therefore that faith, the obedience of faith, holiness, godliness, and perseverance are not fruits or effects of an unchangeable election to glory, but indispensable conditions and causes, which are prerequisite in those who are to be chosen in the complete election, and which are foreseen as achieved in them.

6. Not every election to salvation is unchangeable, but that some of the chosen can perish and do in fact perish eternally, with no decision of God to prevent it.

7. In this life there is no fruit, no awareness, and no assurance of one's unchangeable election to glory, except as conditional upon something changeable and contingent.

8. It was not on the basis of his just will alone that God decided to leave anyone in the fall of Adam and in the common state of sin and condemnation or to pass anyone by in the imparting of grace necessary for faith and conversion.

9. The cause for God's sending the gospel to one people rather than to another is not merely and solely God's good pleasure, but rather that one people is better and worthier than the other to whom the gospel is not communicated.

10. God the Father appointed his Son to death on the cross without a fixed and definite plan to save anyone by name, so that the necessity, usefulness, and worth of what Christ's death obtained could have stood intact and altogether perfect, complete and whole, even if the redemption that was obtained had never in actual fact been applied to any individual.

11. The purpose of Christ's death was not to establish in actual fact a new covenant of grace by his blood, but only to acquire for the Father the mere right to enter once more into a covenant with men, whether of grace or of works.

12. Christ, by the satisfaction which he gave, did not certainly merit for anyone salvation itself and the faith by which this satisfaction of Christ is effectively applied to salvation, but only acquired for the Father the authority or plenary will to relate in a new way with men and to impose such new conditions as he chose, and that the satisfying of these conditions depends on the free choice of man; consequently, that it was possible that either all or none would fulfill them.

13. What is involved in the new covenant of grace which God the Father made with men through the intervening of Christ's death is not that we are justified before God and saved through faith, insofar as it accepts Christ's merit, but rather that God, having withdrawn his demand for perfect obedience to the law, counts faith itself, and the imperfect obedience of faith, as perfect obedience to the law, and graciously looks upon this as worthy of the reward of eternal life.

14. All people have been received into the state of reconciliation and into the grace of the covenant, so that no one on account of original sin is liable to condemnation, or is to be condemned, but that all are free from the guilt of this sin.

15. We make use of the distinction between obtaining and applying in order to instill in the unwary and inexperienced the opinion that God, as far as he is concerned, wished to bestow equally upon all people the benefits which are gained by Christ's death; but that the distinction by which some rather than others come to share in the forgiveness of sins and eternal life depends on their own free choice (which applies itself to the grace offered indiscriminately) but does not depend on the unique gift of mercy which effectively works in them, so that they, rather than others, apply that grace to themselves.

16. Christ neither could die, nor had to die, nor did die for those whom God so dearly loved and chose to eternal life, since such people do not need the death of Christ.

17. Properly speaking, it cannot be said that original sin in itself is enough to condemn the whole human race or to warrant temporal and eternal punishments.

18. The spiritual gifts or the good dispositions and virtues such as goodness, holiness, and righteousness could not have resided in man's will when he was first created, and therefore could not have been separated from the will at the fall.

19. In spiritual death the spiritual gifts have not been separated from man's will, since the will in itself has never been corrupted but only hindered by the darkness of the mind and the unruliness of the emotions, and since the will is able to exercise its innate free capacity once these hindrances are removed, which is to say, it is able of itself to will or choose whatever good is set before it--or else not to will or choose it.

20. Unregenerate man is not strictly or totally dead in his sins or deprived of all capacity for spiritual good but is able to hunger and thirst for righteousness or life and to offer the sacrifice of a broken and contrite spirit which is pleasing to God.

21. Corrupt and natural man can make such good use of common grace(by which they mean the light of nature)or of the gifts remaining after the fall that he is able thereby gradually to obtain a greater grace-- evangelical or saving grace--as well as salvation itself; and that in this way God, for his part, shows himself ready to reveal Christ to all people, since he provides to all, to a sufficient extent and in an effective manner, the means necessary for the revealing of Christ, for faith, and for repentance.

22. In the true conversion of man new qualities, dispositions, or gifts cannot be infused or poured into his will by God, and indeed that the faith [or believing] by which we first come to conversion and from which we receive the name "believers" is not a quality or gift infused by God, but only an act of man, and that it cannot be called a gift except in respect to the power of attaining faith.

23. The grace by which we are converted to God is nothing but a gentle persuasion, or (as others explain it) that the way of God's acting in man's conversion that is most noble and suited to human nature is that which happens by persuasion, and that nothing prevents this grace of moral suasion even by itself from making natural men spiritual; indeed, that God does not produce the assent of the will except in this manner of moral suasion, and that the effectiveness of God's work by which it surpasses the work of Satan consists in the fact that God promises eternal benefits while Satan promises temporal ones.

24. God in regenerating man does not bring to bear that power of his omnipotence whereby he may powerfully and unfailingly bend man's will to faith and conversion, but that even when God has accomplished all the works of grace which he uses for man's conversion, man nevertheless can, and in actual fact often does, so resist God and the Spirit in their intent and will to regenerate him, that man completely thwarts his own rebirth; and, indeed, that it remains in his own power whether or not to be reborn.

25. Grace and free choice are concurrent partial causes which cooperate to initiate conversion, and that grace does not precede--in the order of causality--the effective influence of the will; that is to say,that God does not effectively help man's will to come to conversion before man's will itself motivates and determines itself.

26. The perseverance of true believers is not an effect of election or a gift of God produced by Christ's death, but a condition of the new covenant which man, before what they call his "peremptory" election and justification, must fulfill by his free will.

27. God does provide the believer with sufficient strength to persevere and is ready to preserve this strength in him if he performs his duty, but that even with all those things in place which are necessary to persevere in faith and which God is pleased to use to preserve faith, it still always depends on the choice of man's will whether or not he perseveres.

28. Those who truly believe and have been born again not only can forfeit justifying faith as well as grace and salvation totally and to the end, but also in actual fact do often forfeit them and are lost forever.

29. Those who truly believe and have been born again can commit the sin that leads to death (the sin against the Holy Spirit).

30. Apart from a special revelation no one can have the assurance of future perseverance in this life.

31. The teaching of the assurance of perseverance and of salvation is by its very nature and character an opiate of the flesh and is harmful to godliness, good morals, prayer, and other holy exercises, but that, on the contrary, to have doubt about this is praiseworthy.

32. The faith of those who believe only temporarily does not differ from justifying and saving faith except in duration alone.

33. It is not absurd that a person, after losing his former regeneration, should once again, indeed quite often, be reborn.

34. Christ nowhere prayed for an unfailing perseverance of believers in faith.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Well, you could start with Dordt and from what the Remonstrants were asserting, develop an Arminian Confession of Faith. Fortunately, someone (me) has done exactly that:

The Arminians have no historical confessions to point to for catechesis, so confessing what they believe resorts to a hodge podge of localized views, written and unwritten. They are better off taking the talking points from the Canons of Dordt, to which the Remonstrants were responding, and claiming them as their confession as a starting point. I have done the heavy lifting for them along these lines as shown below.

I have often found it supported by history that the dearth of Armininan systematic theologies speaks to the matter in that those men from the ages indwelt by the Spirit who author systematic theologies have been from the Reformed tradition of faith. It seems to me that when a man spends his life steeped in Holy Writ mining its riches, he inevitably winds up embracing the doctrines of grace.

I pity the Arminian seminarian or layman digesting the systematic theologies authored by the Reformed penman, sitting there with their black marker striking out whole sections of careful exegesis and summary with the astounding chronological snobbery lying behind their "No, I do not believe this", "No, I do not believe that" as they emend what is before them.

The Arminian's view of systematic theology is but one of apophaticism and cavil against those that have come before them.

To wit...

The Thirty-Four Articles of the Arminian Confession of Faith (As Adopted from The Canons of Dordt)

1. It is the will of God to save those who would believe and persevere in faith and in the obedience of faith is the whole and entire decision of election to salvation, and that nothing else concerning this decision has been revealed in God's Word.

2. God's election to eternal life is of many kinds: one general and indefinite, the other particular and definite; and the latter in turn either incomplete, revocable, non-peremptory (or conditional), or else complete, irrevocable, and peremptory (or absolute). Likewise, who teach that there is one election to faith and another to salvation, so that there can be an election to justifying faith apart from a peremptory election to salvation.

3. God's good pleasure and purpose, which Scripture mentions in its teaching of election, does not involve God's choosing certain particular people rather than others, but involves God's choosing, out of all possible conditions (including the works of the law) or out of the whole order of things, the intrinsically unworthy act of faith, as well as the imperfect obedience of faith, to be a condition of salvation; and it involves his graciously wishing to count this as perfect obedience and to look upon it as worthy of the reward of eternal life.

4. In election to faith a prerequisite condition is that man should rightly use the light of nature, be upright, unassuming, humble, and disposed to eternal life, as though election depended to some extent on these factors.

5. The incomplete and non-peremptory election of particular persons to salvation occurred on the basis of a foreseen faith, repentance, holiness, and godliness, which has just begun or continued for some time; but that complete and peremptory election occurred on the basis of a foreseen perseverance to the end in faith, repentance, holiness, and godliness. And that this is the gracious and evangelical worthiness, on account of which the one who is chosen is more worthy than the one who is not chosen. And therefore that faith, the obedience of faith, holiness, godliness, and perseverance are not fruits or effects of an unchangeable election to glory, but indispensable conditions and causes, which are prerequisite in those who are to be chosen in the complete election, and which are foreseen as achieved in them.

6. Not every election to salvation is unchangeable, but that some of the chosen can perish and do in fact perish eternally, with no decision of God to prevent it.

7. In this life there is no fruit, no awareness, and no assurance of one's unchangeable election to glory, except as conditional upon something changeable and contingent.

8. It was not on the basis of his just will alone that God decided to leave anyone in the fall of Adam and in the common state of sin and condemnation or to pass anyone by in the imparting of grace necessary for faith and conversion.

9. The cause for God's sending the gospel to one people rather than to another is not merely and solely God's good pleasure, but rather that one people is better and worthier than the other to whom the gospel is not communicated.

10. God the Father appointed his Son to death on the cross without a fixed and definite plan to save anyone by name, so that the necessity, usefulness, and worth of what Christ's death obtained could have stood intact and altogether perfect, complete and whole, even if the redemption that was obtained had never in actual fact been applied to any individual.

11. The purpose of Christ's death was not to establish in actual fact a new covenant of grace by his blood, but only to acquire for the Father the mere right to enter once more into a covenant with men, whether of grace or of works.

12. Christ, by the satisfaction which he gave, did not certainly merit for anyone salvation itself and the faith by which this satisfaction of Christ is effectively applied to salvation, but only acquired for the Father the authority or plenary will to relate in a new way with men and to impose such new conditions as he chose, and that the satisfying of these conditions depends on the free choice of man; consequently, that it was possible that either all or none would fulfill them.

13. What is involved in the new covenant of grace which God the Father made with men through the intervening of Christ's death is not that we are justified before God and saved through faith, insofar as it accepts Christ's merit, but rather that God, having withdrawn his demand for perfect obedience to the law, counts faith itself, and the imperfect obedience of faith, as perfect obedience to the law, and graciously looks upon this as worthy of the reward of eternal life.

14. All people have been received into the state of reconciliation and into the grace of the covenant, so that no one on account of original sin is liable to condemnation, or is to be condemned, but that all are free from the guilt of this sin.

15. We make use of the distinction between obtaining and applying in order to instill in the unwary and inexperienced the opinion that God, as far as he is concerned, wished to bestow equally upon all people the benefits which are gained by Christ's death; but that the distinction by which some rather than others come to share in the forgiveness of sins and eternal life depends on their own free choice (which applies itself to the grace offered indiscriminately) but does not depend on the unique gift of mercy which effectively works in them, so that they, rather than others, apply that grace to themselves.

16. Christ neither could die, nor had to die, nor did die for those whom God so dearly loved and chose to eternal life, since such people do not need the death of Christ.

17. Properly speaking, it cannot be said that original sin in itself is enough to condemn the whole human race or to warrant temporal and eternal punishments.

18. The spiritual gifts or the good dispositions and virtues such as goodness, holiness, and righteousness could not have resided in man's will when he was first created, and therefore could not have been separated from the will at the fall.

19. In spiritual death the spiritual gifts have not been separated from man's will, since the will in itself has never been corrupted but only hindered by the darkness of the mind and the unruliness of the emotions, and since the will is able to exercise its innate free capacity once these hindrances are removed, which is to say, it is able of itself to will or choose whatever good is set before it--or else not to will or choose it.

20. Unregenerate man is not strictly or totally dead in his sins or deprived of all capacity for spiritual good but is able to hunger and thirst for righteousness or life and to offer the sacrifice of a broken and contrite spirit which is pleasing to God.

21. Corrupt and natural man can make such good use of common grace(by which they mean the light of nature)or of the gifts remaining after the fall that he is able thereby gradually to obtain a greater grace-- evangelical or saving grace--as well as salvation itself; and that in this way God, for his part, shows himself ready to reveal Christ to all people, since he provides to all, to a sufficient extent and in an effective manner, the means necessary for the revealing of Christ, for faith, and for repentance.

22. In the true conversion of man new qualities, dispositions, or gifts cannot be infused or poured into his will by God, and indeed that the faith [or believing] by which we first come to conversion and from which we receive the name "believers" is not a quality or gift infused by God, but only an act of man, and that it cannot be called a gift except in respect to the power of attaining faith.

23. The grace by which we are converted to God is nothing but a gentle persuasion, or (as others explain it) that the way of God's acting in man's conversion that is most noble and suited to human nature is that which happens by persuasion, and that nothing prevents this grace of moral suasion even by itself from making natural men spiritual; indeed, that God does not produce the assent of the will except in this manner of moral suasion, and that the effectiveness of God's work by which it surpasses the work of Satan consists in the fact that God promises eternal benefits while Satan promises temporal ones.

24. God in regenerating man does not bring to bear that power of his omnipotence whereby he may powerfully and unfailingly bend man's will to faith and conversion, but that even when God has accomplished all the works of grace which he uses for man's conversion, man nevertheless can, and in actual fact often does, so resist God and the Spirit in their intent and will to regenerate him, that man completely thwarts his own rebirth; and, indeed, that it remains in his own power whether or not to be reborn.

25. Grace and free choice are concurrent partial causes which cooperate to initiate conversion, and that grace does not precede--in the order of causality--the effective influence of the will; that is to say,that God does not effectively help man's will to come to conversion before man's will itself motivates and determines itself.

26. The perseverance of true believers is not an effect of election or a gift of God produced by Christ's death, but a condition of the new covenant which man, before what they call his "peremptory" election and justification, must fulfill by his free will.

27. God does provide the believer with sufficient strength to persevere and is ready to preserve this strength in him if he performs his duty, but that even with all those things in place which are necessary to persevere in faith and which God is pleased to use to preserve faith, it still always depends on the choice of man's will whether or not he perseveres.

28. Those who truly believe and have been born again not only can forfeit justifying faith as well as grace and salvation totally and to the end, but also in actual fact do often forfeit them and are lost forever.

29. Those who truly believe and have been born again can commit the sin that leads to death (the sin against the Holy Spirit).

30. Apart from a special revelation no one can have the assurance of future perseverance in this life.

31. The teaching of the assurance of perseverance and of salvation is by its very nature and character an opiate of the flesh and is harmful to godliness, good morals, prayer, and other holy exercises, but that, on the contrary, to have doubt about this is praiseworthy.

32. The faith of those who believe only temporarily does not differ from justifying and saving faith except in duration alone.

33. It is not absurd that a person, after losing his former regeneration, should once again, indeed quite often, be reborn.

34. Christ nowhere prayed for an unfailing perseverance of believers in faith.

AMR,

The Synod of Dort was a kangaroo court organised by Gomarus. There was no justice in the synod. There were only Calvinist inquisitors. Of course they would conclude with a Calvinistic decision and declare the Arminians heretics.

Why? That's the theology they began with and it was the theology they concluded with. It was circular reasoning - a begging the question fallacy.

You speak of 'the dearth of Armininan systematic theologies speaks to the matter in that those men from the ages indwelt by the Spirit who author systematic theologies have been from the Reformed tradition of faith'

Here you commit another fallacy, 'Appeal to Popularity'.

Since when was the number of systematic theologies written a determinant of the validity of any theology? Could you have some pride here?

Perhaps you've forgotten about these Arminian systematic theologians:
  • Richard Watson
  • William Pope
  • John Miley
  • H Orton Wiley
  • Henry Thiessen
  • Thomas Oden
  • J Kenneth Grider
Thomas Oden went home to be with the Lord in December 2016.

When I was in seminary, I used Purkiser, Taylor & Taylor's, God, Man & Salvation (an Arminian biblical theology).

Oz

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Remonstrants presented their own views, to which Dordt responded. Taking their own views is the answer to the question of "Reformed" Arminianism. How that can be seen as unfair escapes me, for the views they expressed were what they held in their complaint against Calvinism. Apparently some have not actually read the spoiler content in my post, for it is exactly what the followers of Arminius, the Remonstrants, were affirming. Tolle lege.

Whenever one appeals to history, the cavils of "appeals to popularity", "the words and creeds of men", etc., are soon to follow. This is most often intellectual laziness, for no one is suggesting that "counting noses" is the be all end all of an argument. Rather, I am suggesting that one should resist the appeal of being in the minority, as it appeals to our pride and chronological snobbery, that we are somehow more enlightened and indwelt by the Spirit, the very same Spirit that indwelt those saints of the past. When one finds himself at odds with a great many of the church militant, this should give one pause and, at a minimum, set one on a path to taking great care to study the issues upon which those that have come before us found wanting.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
JM,

Is that the loving way to treat those who disagree with you?

'By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another' (Jesus in John 13:35 NIV).

Oz
Is it truly loving to leave someone in the darkness?
Is it loving to speak to them in such a way as to establish their false doctrine?

Calling someone a brother simply because they claim to believe in Christ is not only a compromise of truth but dishonering to the Lord who is Truth.

Upvote 0