California
✟14,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is my view and conviction that Isaiah 53:5 is exclusively referring to spiritual healing.

The Hebrew word Rapha' means "to heal".
It implies spiritual and emotional health rather then physical. But it can easily be used for the physical.

The problem with applying rapha' in this verse to physical healing is that the context of the verse does not lay out that picture.

The verse 53:4 is referring to physical healing and mental/emotional restoration.
This is deduced by the meaning of the Hebrew words nasa'(to take away, to relieve a burden-Can meen to take upon oneself the burden, but that is not the primary conotation)and choliy(sicknesses, diseases), and then cabal(to take upon oneself, to act as a cane in support) and Mak'ob(physical or mental anguish. In context of the verse I would say mental since physical sicknesses are the primary.. and only meaning of the word choliy.)

In other words
"He certainly took away our sicknesses, and he came along side me helping me to carry my sorrows and he relieved me of them."

Then though Isaiah changes the focus of what he is talking about by starting to talk about him being physically assaulted. He does this by breaking the sentence with the word 'but' meaning 'then'. First in verse 4 it is saying that he is taking away our sicknesses and helping us carry our sorrows to the point of relieving our burden, now it is saying that he is taking physical abuse not for our illnesses but for our sins, that he was brutally crushed for our horrible perversity, depravity, and in fact taking on our punishment for those evils.

Then it goes on to say that he was corrected and even punished for our well-being... but wait... our well-being?
Isn't that a physical thing? It can in English, but the Hebrew word is the word Shalom which basically means peace and contentment.
It can be applied to the physical, but it has a strong spiritual and emotional connotation. And in line with the rest of the verse it is wise to conclude that it is exactly that. He was punished for our spiritual peace and that we would have friendship with God.

Finally the famous statement: By His scourging we are healed.
In the context of the rest of the verse, it is therefore right and logical to conclude that this statement is solely referring to the spiritual healing attained through Jesus' beating and death before and on the cross in his work of redemption.
The word itself can easily be used for either, but since the rest of the verse is saying that he was physically beaten for our sins and crushed and punished for our spiritual salvation, it makes sense to conclude that the beatings he received that we are healed by is referring to the spiritual significance referred to throughout the verse.

Thus this verse is not a declaration of physical healing of any kind but rather of spiritual healing and restoration.

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
but the Hebrew word is the word Shalom which basically means peace and contentment.

To the Hebrew mind, shalom certainly includes health and prosperity. That is why the greeting is twice: "Shalom, shalom", meaning wholeness on the inside as well as outside.

It's a very rich word and does not simply mean peace and contentment in the English sense.

The 2 Lexicons below bring out the rich meaning of "shalom":

OT:7965
shalowm or shalom --

completeness, soundness, welfare, peace

a) completeness (in number)
b) safety, soundness (in body)
c) welfare, health, prosperity
d) peace, quiet, tranquility, contentment
e) peace, friendship
1) used of human relationships
2) with God especially in covenant relationship
f) peace (from war)
g) peace (as adjective)

(from The Online Bible Thayer's Greek Lexicon and Brown Driver & Briggs Hebrew Lexicon, Copyright (c)1993, Woodside Bible Fellowship, Ontario, Canada. Licensed from the Institute for Creation Research.)

-----------------

OT:7965

shalowm (shaw-lome'); or shalom (shaw-lome'); from OT:7999; safe, i.e. (figuratively) well, happy, friendly; also (abstractly) welfare, i.e. health, prosperity, peace:

(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright (c) 1994, Biblesoft and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

So as you can see, shalom is not just peace and quiet, but includes wholeness, health, prosperity, safety. Someone put it very simply as "Nothing Missing, Nothing Broken".

Another thing is this, there is no such thing as "spiritual healing". Spirits are not healed but regenerated. The Bible never speaks of our spirits being healed.

"Spiritual healing" is a very English idea. When like people say "spiritual blessing" they mean the blessing is non-tangible, invisible, hence excludes physical healing.

But in the Bible, "spiritual blessing" simply means that the blessings has qualities and characteristics belonging to the Spirit of God. ie they are not temporal and subject to wear and tear, but eternal and heavenly. So divine healing is a spiritual blessing becos it is divine -- has qualities belonging to the Spirt of God, is not dependant on earthly diet and exercise.

Finally, if Isaiah was refering only to "spiritual healing", then Matthew (10:17) should not have quoted it in the context of physical healing.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Good OP.

Here’s the Amplified version of Isaiah 53.5: But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our guilt and iniquities; the chastisement [needful to obtain] peace and well-being for us was upon Him, and with the stripes [that wounded] Him we are healed and made whole. Physical healing is not mentioned at all. By His stripes we are healed of transgressions, guilt, and iniquities.

Physical illness is mentioned, though, in the context (v.4) - Surely He has borne our griefs And carried our sorrows; Yet we esteemed Him stricken, Smitten by God, and afflicted. We know this because Matthew quoted it in reference to Christ’s earthly healing ministry in Matthew 8.17:
16 When evening had come, they brought to Him many who were demon-possessed. And He cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all who were sick, 17 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying: “ He Himself took our infirmities And bore our sicknesses.”
But why did Matthew quote Isaiah? Was it to provide a proof text for physical healing in the atonement? Of course not. He simply used Isaiah 53.4 as a proof-text to further demonstrate that Jesus, because during His earthly ministry He healed the sick, was Messiah. In almost every instance where Matthew quoted the OT is was to prove that Jesus, while on earth, proved His Messiahship. It has nothing to do with healing in the church.

Physical healing is not mentioned at all. By His stripes we are healed of transgressions, guilt, and iniquities. That’s exactly the way Peter used it in 1 Peter 2:
21 For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps: 22 “ Who committed no sin, Nor was deceit found in His mouth”; 23 who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously; 24 who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness—by whose stripes you were healed. 25 For you were like sheep going astray, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.
Can anyone find physical healing in this passage? I sure can’t. Peter used healing (in the spiritual sense of the word) just like Isaiah did (see HERE).

Sincerely,
~Stella Learnin

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have one word for you; "sozo"

(and here we go again...)

Isn't ironic that every word that God chose to use for healing can mean "physical" OR "spiritual" healing? Perhaps there's not this huge divide that man has created.

I believe that "by His stripes we are healed" says just what it means and needs no further explanation.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Jim M said:
Here’s the Amplified version of Isaiah 53.5: But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our guilt and iniquities; the chastisement [needful to obtain] peace and well-being for us was upon Him, and with the stripes [that wounded] Him we are healed and made whole.Physicalhealing is not mentioned at all. By His stripes we are healed of transgressions, guilt, and iniquities.

Again, our sins are not "healed" but forgiven. You find Jesus healing the sick and FORGIVING sins, never healing sins. He offered the woman caught in adultery forgiveness of sins and the gift of no condemnation. He didn't "heal" her of adultery. Paul's epistles to the churches talk about sins forgiven, washed away, but healed? Never.

It is simply a misuse of the term when we say that our spirits or sins were healed. That is simply just broken English.

But why did Matthew quote Isaiah? Was it to provide a proof text for physical healing in the atonement? Of course not. He simply used Isaiah 53.4 as a proof-text to further demonstrate that Jesus, because during His earthly ministry He healed the sick, was Messiah. In almost every instance where Matthew quoted the OT is was to prove that Jesus, while on earth, proved His Messiahship. It has nothing to do with healing in the church.

Matthew quoted from Isaiah 53, which all scholars agree is about the cross of Jesus, the work of Jesus, which includes physical healing. The words grieds and sorrows are sicknesses and pains in the original Hebrew. Any concordance will tell you that.

That is why Jesus could heal. As far as heaven is concerned, the Lamb was already slain from the foundation of the earth. There is no time zone where God is concerned. That also explains why Jesus could forgive sins even before He went to the cross.

So Matthew's use of Isa 53:4 is simply proof text of healing provided for all in the atonement.

24 who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness—by whose stripes you were healed. 25 For you were like sheep going astray, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.

Can anyone find physical healing in this passage? I sure can’t.

Yes, v24. Which was quoted from Isa 53, which talks about the atonement, which includes physical healing.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would agree with you Jim M to some extent except for the very precise wording used by Matthew:

Matthew 8:16-17
When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with [his] word, and healed all that were sick: That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare [our] sicknesses.

It specifically says that the physical healing of these people was a fulfilment of this Isaiah prophesy.
I agree that this verse in itself cannot be used to support the idea that healing is provided for all in the atonement. But It does prove that Is 53 does refer to the subject of physical healing. Matthew would not have quoted it if it were not.
peace
dids

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Healing all was not limited to Jesus proving he wa sthe messiah. Look here:

Acts 5

12The apostles performed many miraculous signs and wonders among the people. And all the believers used to meet together in Solomon's Colonnade. 13No one else dared join them, even though they were highly regarded by the people. 14Nevertheless, more and more men and women believed in the Lord and were added to their number. 15As a result, people brought the sick into the streets and laid them on beds and mats so that at least Peter's shadow might fall on some of them as he passed by. 16Crowds gathered also from the towns around Jerusalem, bringing their sick and those tormented by evil spirits, and all of them were healed.

Were only some healed? No! Everyone who came to the Acts church was healed.

:sorry:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
lismore said:
Healing all was not limited to Jesus proving he wa sthe messiah. Look here:

Acts 5

12The apostles performed many miraculous signs and wonders among the people. And all the believers used to meet together in Solomon's Colonnade. 13No one else dared join them, even though they were highly regarded by the people. 14Nevertheless, more and more men and women believed in the Lord and were added to their number. 15As a result, people brought the sick into the streets and laid them on beds and mats so that at least Peter's shadow might fall on some of them as he passed by. 16Crowds gathered also from the towns around Jerusalem, bringing their sick and those tormented by evil spirits, and all of them were healed.

Were only some healed? No! Everyone who came to the Acts church was healed.

:sorry:

Sure, all of them in the instance mentioned were healed but it is incorrect to assume that every person in every instance was healed, IMO. As for example, Paul, Timothy and Trophimus.

No one is questioning healing. I did not mean to infer that in my previous post.

Sincerely,
~Stella Learnin

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jim M said:
Sure, all of them in the instance mentioned were healed but it is incorrect to assume that every person in every instance was healed, IMO. As for example, Paul, Timothy and Trophimus.

No one is questioning healing. I did not mean to infer that in my previous post.

Sincerely,
~Stella Learnin

I know where you're coming from by now Jim:wave:

When the bible say the sick came to Jesus, they had to be sick before they got healing. The bible doesnt say that Trophimus didnt get healing, it only says he was sick at that time.

Timothy got stomach infections from polluted water, for which the answer was to drink diluted wine (a little wine) which acted as a water purifier. Some places in anatolia and greece at that time had no pure drinking water, Laodociea (sic) was known for its lukewarm volcanic water that gave (and still gives) stomach cramps.

Im not sure about paul, dont remember him getting sick.

:wave:

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
lismore said:
Ya, what does Jesus do. He heals the sick even today.
My uncle got healed from M E! My auntie got healing for her sight.

Yahweh raphia. The Lord my healer.

:thumbsup:

Praise the Lord! :clap:

Three weeks ago a man was healed of Parkinson's disease and another of wrist joint inflammation at our church.

God is good!

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
didaskalos said:
I would agree with you Jim M to some extent except for the very precise wording used by Matthew:

Matthew 8:16-17
When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with [his] word, and healed all that were sick: That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare [our] sicknesses.

It specifically says that the physical healing of these people was a fulfilment of this Isaiah prophesy.
I agree that this verse in itself cannot be used to support the idea that healing is provided for all in the atonement. But It does prove that Is 53 does refer to the subject of physical healing. Matthew would not have quoted it if it were not.
peace
dids

I see where you are coming from, but the fulfillment was not that Isiah taught that healing is possible but that the Messiah would heal the sick.

Matthew used this phrase “it was fulfilled” often when using OT scripture specifically to show that Christ fulfilled the OT prophecies and was, ergo, the Messiah. For example:
Matthew 1:22 So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying:

Matthew 2:15 and was there until the death of Herod, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying, “Out of Egypt I called My Son.”

Matthew 2:17 Then was fulfilled what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet, saying:

Matthew 2:23 And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, “He shall be called a Nazarene.”

Matthew 4:14 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying:

Matthew 8:17that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying: “ He Himself took our infirmities And bore our sicknesses.”

Matthew 12:17 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying:

Matthew 13:35 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying: “ I will open My mouth in parables; I will utter things kept secret from the foundation of the world.”

Matthew 21:4 All this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying:

Matthew 26:54 How then could the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must happen thus?”

Matthew 26:56 But all this was done that the Scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled.” Then all the disciples forsook Him and fled.

Matthew 27:9 Then was fulfilled what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet, saying, “And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the value of Him who was priced, whom they of the children of Israel priced,

Matthew 27:35 Then they crucified Him, and divided His garments, casting lots, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet: “They divided My garments among them,And for My clothing they cast lots.”

His purpose is to show that Jesus Christ (not a particular doctrine) was the fulfillment of the Law and the Prophets and therefore the true Messiah of Prophecy.

Sincerely,
~Stella Learnin

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Andrew said:

Matthew quoted from Isaiah 53, which all scholars agree is about the cross of Jesus, the work of Jesus, which includes physical healing. The words grieds and sorrows are sicknesses and pains in the original Hebrew. Any concordance will tell you that.

That is why Jesus could heal. As far as heaven is concerned, the Lamb was already slain from the foundation of the earth. There is no time zone where God is concerned. That also explains why Jesus could forgive sins even before He went to the cross.

So Matthew's use of Isa 53:4 is simply proof text of healing provided for all in the atonement.

Yes, v24. Which was quoted from Isa 53, which talks about the atonement, which includes physical healing.

In my opinion, Matthew 8.16-17 does, indeed, talk about physical healing and uses Isaiah 53.4 as a reference. I do not dispute that. That is something you guys have shown me recently. Thanx.

Here is Matthew 8.16-17:
16 When evening had come, they brought to Him many who were demon-possessed. And He cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all who were sick, 17 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying:

“ He Himself took our infirmities
And bore our sicknesses.” [a]

Footnote: [a]Isaiah 53:4
But what is this saying? Is it saying that healing is a part of the atonement? Or, as I believe, is it saying that the fact is that Jesus healed the sick while He was on earth which was evidence of His Messiahship? Taking the scriptures I offered in the previous post, the latter is what Matthew is driving at in Matthew 8.16-17.

It is not good hermeneutics (IMO) to tag PHIA onto Matthew’s statement since his ONLY aim is to prove from scripture that Jesus’ earthly ministry was fulfillment of prophecy and His claim to Messiahship.

Sincerely,
~Stella Learnin

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
lismore said:

Im not sure about paul, dont remember him getting sick.

:wave:

Galatians 4. 13
As you know, it was because of an illness that I first preached the gospel to you. 14 Even though my illness was a trial to you, you did not treat me with contempt or scorn. Instead, you welcomed me as if I were an angel of God, as if I were Christ Jesus himself. 15 What has happened to all your joy? I can testify that, if you could have done so, you would have torn out your eyes and given them to me. 16 Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?

Sincerely,
~Stella Learnin

Upvote 0

kooolfriend

Turning ashes into beauty
Jul 5, 2004
✟2,115.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
JimM said:
Jesus healed the sick while He was on earth which was evidence of His Messiahship?

During the time Jesus was on earth, not only Jesus was healing the sick, but His disciples also were healing the sick, and when He went to the father, his disciple continue to heal the sick...
And the healing is still flowing today, as an evidence that Jesus is well alive!:clap:

Upvote 0

SteelDisciple

Veteran
Jun 17, 2005
Washington State
✟17,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Atlantians said:
It is my view and conviction that Isaiah 53:5 is exclusively referring to spiritual healing.

The Hebrew word Rapha' means "to heal".
It implies spiritual and emotional health rather then physical. But it can easily be used for the physical.

The problem with applying rapha' in this verse to physical healing is that the context of the verse does not lay out that picture.

The verse 53:4 is referring to physical healing and mental/emotional restoration.
This is deduced by the meaning of the Hebrew words nasa'(to take away, to relieve a burden-Can meen to take upon oneself the burden, but that is not the primary conotation)and choliy(sicknesses, diseases), and then cabal(to take upon oneself, to act as a cane in support) and Mak'ob(physical or mental anguish. In context of the verse I would say mental since physical sicknesses are the primary.. and only meaning of the word choliy.)

In other words
"He certainly took away our sicknesses, and he came along side me helping me to carry my sorrows and he relieved me of them."

Then though Isaiah changes the focus of what he is talking about by starting to talk about him being physically assaulted. He does this by breaking the sentence with the word 'but' meaning 'then'. First in verse 4 it is saying that he is taking away our sicknesses and helping us carry our sorrows to the point of relieving our burden, now it is saying that he is taking physical abuse not for our illnesses but for our sins, that he was brutally crushed for our horrible perversity, depravity, and in fact taking on our punishment for those evils.

Then it goes on to say that he was corrected and even punished for our well-being... but wait... our well-being?
Isn't that a physical thing? It can in English, but the Hebrew word is the word Shalom which basically means peace and contentment.
It can be applied to the physical, but it has a strong spiritual and emotional connotation. And in line with the rest of the verse it is wise to conclude that it is exactly that. He was punished for our spiritual peace and that we would have friendship with God.

Finally the famous statement: By His scourging we are healed.
In the context of the rest of the verse, it is therefore right and logical to conclude that this statement is solely referring to the spiritual healing attained through Jesus' beating and death before and on the cross in his work of redemption.
The word itself can easily be used for either, but since the rest of the verse is saying that he was physically beaten for our sins and crushed and punished for our spiritual salvation, it makes sense to conclude that the beatings he received that we are healed by is referring to the spiritual significance referred to throughout the verse.

Thus this verse is not a declaration of physical healing of any kind but rather of spiritual healing and restoration.

I really hope this isn't another anti-heal thread.

Because we CAN heal through the power of God. Even the Disciples healed.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.