United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 45:22
“Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth;
For I am God, and there is no other.

I would like to ask a Calvinist to tell me who is speaking and what is the message. And how it relates to Calvinist theology.

You don't know? I'll be happy to help. God is speaking. He is is saying "Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth;
For I am God, and there is no other."

It relates to Calvinist theology because we believe all of the bible to be true, and all who turn to Him will be saved.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You don't know?
Of course I know. Why would I ask a Calvinist for something I didn't know?

I'll be happy to help. God is speaking. He is is saying "Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth;
For I am God, and there is no other."
OK, so you are able to quote a verse. Very good. Now, can you tell me in your own words what He means? That's what my question was about.

It relates to Calvinist theology because we believe all of the bible to be true, and all who turn to Him will be saved.
OK, it seems you are unable to explain HOW it relates to your theology. What you wrote said nothing in particular. Anyone with any kind of theology that includes Scripture can say what you have said.

Who is He speaking to in the phrase "all the ends of the earth"?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Of course I know. Why would I ask a Calvinist for something I didn't know?
Beats me. But it appeared that way.

OK, so you are able to quote a verse. Very good. Now, can you tell me in your own words what He means? That's what my question was about.
You should have been more specific. I answered your question as asked.

But my answer stands. It seems self-explanatory. It's a command to turn to Him to be saved. Is there something that you don't understand about it?
OK, it seems you are unable to explain HOW it relates to your theology. What you wrote said nothing in particular. Anyone with any kind of theology that includes Scripture can say what you have said.
So why would you think Calvinism would be different?
Who is He speaking to in the phrase "all the ends of the earth"?

Since mankind is the only group who needs saving, I assume that's who He's talking to.

Either you really don't know what this verse means and you trust a Calvinist to explain it to you, our you think you have done death blow for Calvinism. Which is it?

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
But my answer stands. It seems self-explanatory. It's a command to turn to Him to be saved. Is there something that you don't understand about it?
Why would God command those for whom Christ didn't die for? There wasn't any specific limitation to His command. And you didn't address that glaring issue.

So why would you think Calvinism would be different?
Because it is different from what the Bible says.

Since mankind is the only group who needs saving, I assume that's who He's talking to.
All of mankind, or just some of mankind? Remember, Calvinism doesn't believe that Jesus died for everyone, and God chooses who will believe.

Either you really don't know what this verse means and you trust a Calvinist to explain it to you, our you think you have done death blow for Calvinism. Which is it?
Neither, of course. I was curious how a Calvinist would handle the verse. It is clear that God's command goes out to everyone, not just some, which is the Calvinist view regarding limited atonement.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Why would God command those for whom Christ didn't die for? There wasn't any specific limitation to His command. And you didn't address that glaring issue.
It's not an issue for me.
No, it's not.
All of mankind, or just some of mankind? Remember, Calvinism doesn't believe that Jesus died for everyone, and God chooses who will believe.
Yeah. And?

Neither, of course. I was curious how a Calvinist would handle the verse. It is clear that God's command goes out to everyone, not just some, which is the Calvinist view regarding limited atonement.

This verse has nothing to do with atonement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Good Day, Free

Can you show a source from one reformed writer, that says "God's command does not go out to everyone"?

Other wise you have created a straw man and pushed it over.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 45:22
“Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth;
For I am God, and there is no other.

I would like to ask a Calvinist to tell me who is speaking and what is the message. And how it relates to Calvinist theology.

Good Day,

Sermon preached on this text from the prince of preachers CH Spurgeon a self proclaimed Calvinist:

"Life for a Look"

In HIm,

Bill

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
We dont have to go back to the OT to find such a command for all the earth.

Acts 17
30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, 31 because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead.”

He commands all men to repent, but has not enabled them all to do so which just simply proves all men in their natural state do not search for God.

Without God supplying the grace, men do not repent even if commanded to do so.

32 And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked, while others said, “We will hear you again on this matter.”

22 Then Paul stood in the midst of the Areopagus and said, “Men of Athens, I perceive that in all things you are very religious; 23 for as I was passing through and considering the objects of your worship, I even found an altar with this inscription:

TO THE UNKNOWN GOD.

Therefore, the One whom you worship without knowing, Him I proclaim to you: 24 “God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. 25 Nor is He worshiped with men’s hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things. 26 And He has made from one blood[c] every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, 27 so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; 28 for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also His offspring.’ 29 Therefore, since we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, something shaped by art and man’s devising. 30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, 31 because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead.”

32 And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked, while others said, “We will hear you again on this matter.” 33 So Paul departed from among them. 34 However, some men joined him and believed, among them Dionysius the Areopagite, a woman named Damaris, and others with them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It's not an issue for me.
It should be.

No, it's not.
Yes, it is.

Yeah. And?
Why the question. I asked you a question. Is God commanding everyone to turn to Him, or just some?

This verse has nothing to do with atonement.
It has to do with getting saved, obviously. And Christ would have to die for anyone to be saved. So don't dodge the clear issue.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Good Day, Free

Can you show a source from one reformed writer, that says "God's command does not go out to everyone"?
Not the issue. Why would God command those He knows He won't choose to believe to believe? That is irrational, and Calvinists routinely dodge the question or give an answer that isn't comprehendible.

Other wise you have created a straw man and pushed it over.
Can you explain in rational terms why God would command everyone to turn to Him and be saved when He wasn't intending to save everyone?

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We dont have to go back to the OT to find such a command for all the earth.

Acts 17
30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, 31 because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead.”

He commands all men to repent, but has not enabled them all to do so which just simply proves all men in their natural state do not search for God.

Without God supplying the grace, men do not repent even if commanded to do so.
None of your statements provides any REASON for God commanding everyone to turn to Him to be saved when RT believes that He didn't provide salvation for everyone.

Can you provide a reason that is reasonable?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It should be.
Why is that?
Yes, it is.
No it's not.

Why the question. I asked you a question. Is God commanding everyone to turn to Him, or just some?
I answered it. You quoted it. I'll repeat it. "Yeah. And?"
It has to do with getting saved, obviously. And Christ would have to die for anyone to be saved. So don't dodge the clear issue.
So you can just take any verse you want any make it about atonement? I'm sorry, but I don't think it works that way.

Upvote 0