Is Your Tradition Completely Error Free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Regardless of definition, your tradition is not error free unless
it's Scripture alone.

And according to this "logic", out goes the Nicene Creed.

But i think it was an rhetorical question.

Yet correctly answered by me nonetheless.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
yes mine is but it does not belong to me it is inspired by God who has no errors. i count the Spirit of God above the Holy scriptures since God was before writing. I see a more ancient language in the visible reality and I see something more eternal inside of me than the mere body of letters in books.

though there are indeed Holy scriptures and they are to be greatly loved, and they are full of the Holy Spirit.
and the various churches have good Holy traditions as well and if they were not ordained by the Holy Spirit then what is the point? but I think many were and are. corporeal things do not matter but rather the Lord Jesus Christ who is forever.

if all that matters is traditions and scriptures then we have no real life in us.

Christ is the Logos and the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God. if all the books in the world went away God and the things He wrote in my heart would still be. and if all the traditions were forgotten God still does not forget me. I do not base my faith anymore on written words or preserved traditions, I need something more and if I can't have God then my seeking God is in vain.

the reign of God is inside, it is not confined to traditions and scriptures. there are many good angelic spirits and saints around me, not to mention God Himself.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Regardless of definition, your tradition is not error free unless
it's Scripture alone.
But i think it was an rhetorical question.
:cool:
:)
As Sgt Joe Friday would say "Just the scriptures ma'm, just the scriptures".

You might remember this thread sis:

http://www.christianforums.com/t7547378/
Solo Scriptura and Sola Scriptura...is there a difference?

"According to Keith Mathison, over the last one hundred and fifty years Evangelicalism has replaced sola scriptura, according to which Scripture is the only infallible ecclesial authority, with solo scriptura, the notion that Scripture is the only ecclesial authority. The direct implication of solo scriptura is that each person is his own ultimate interpretive authority.

Read and discuss! :wave:
Originally Posted by sunlover1
What did you want to discuss? Just the difference between?
A thread about definition?

And fancy YOU creating yet another SS thread:D
Originally Posted by ortho_cat Well yes, I want to discuss the difference between sola and solo, and whether there is any fundamental difference at all between the two. I would also like to discuss the right to individual interpretation, and how this relates to both as well.

What can I say, i've just been in an SS kind of mood lately... ;)
I am going to guess that due to loose usage there's not a lot of
difference between the two anymore. Not a very scientific answer
just my 2 cents i guess.
The "right to " individual interpretation sounds interesting.
Do you think that God holds me responsible for what I believe?
Or do you think He holds "the church" responsible?

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Amen. I believe that Church tradition is acceptable as long as it is in full agreement with what has already been written in the Scriptures.

Which came first?
And what is tradition?
How does it work?

When two concepts of something clash, there must be agreement on what something is and what it includes before anything more can be said of it.

Upvote 0

asiyreh

God is salvation
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland
✟9,457.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
1. 10 commandments to bring you to Christ, and a guide for a good life style.

2. Justification by faith to keep you in God's good graces and to justify us before the White Throne.

3. A mission based faith and fruit baring lifestyle of good works and gospel spreading to give the hope we have onto others.

IMHO the rest is just smoke and mirrors, smells and bells, pomp and ceremony. The religion of the pharisees.

Give me the faith the apostles had Lord. The rest... well need I say more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, is it?

You seem to have made a distinction here, by capitalizing the word Tradition, you appear to be refering to 'Holy Tradition'.

Of this, I would say there is no error. By it's nature of being 'Holy', it had been reveled by Christ God.

If we are only speaking of 'tradition' (of men), such as 'the evil eye'... I would say absolutely not.

This is the very reason 'we' need to know the difference between Dogma and Doctrine.

God be gracious to me a sinner.

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was just thinking about a very similar question: Is your theology completely without error?

I've always believed that while salvation is a one-time event, faith is a process. We won't ever have all the answers, "have it all down pat" so to speak, until its too late to tell anyone.

With that being said, why on earth does everyone here seem to think they are never wrong?

Please note the word SEEM. I'm not casting judgment, just stating an observation.

Upvote 0
D

DiligentlySeekingGod

Could this also be worded? >:

"Do any of the traditions you keep annul or defy Scripture?"

Hello my friend,

Jesus said, "However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come" (John 16:13). I do wholeheartedly believe what Jesus said of the Holy Spirit, however, since He said the Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth, but why are there so many different versions of what people think is the "Gospel truth" and they alone possess what they perceive as the only true faith and beliefs? Does that make any sense whatsoever to you? :sorry:

In Christ Alone,
Diligently Seeking God

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Which came first?
And what is tradition?
How does it work?

When two concepts of something clash, there must be agreement on what something is and what it includes before anything more can be said of it.

Scripture came first. Acceptable tradition was formed based on those

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You seem to have made a distinction here, by capitalizing the word Tradition, you appear to be refering to 'Holy Tradition'.

Of this, I would say there is no error. By it's nature of being 'Holy', it had been reveled by Christ God.

If we are only speaking of 'tradition' (of men), such as 'the evil eye'... I would say absolutely not.

This is the very reason 'we' need to know the difference between Dogma and Doctrine.

God be gracious to me a sinner.

If something that is "Holy" means it's free from error, then doesn't that mean that the scriptures which are "Holy", which were revealed by God, are free from error?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.